Author Topic: What keyboard are you using right now?  (Read 63921 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
What keyboard are you using right now?
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 28 July 2008, 20:58:13 »
Back on the HHKB Pro 2.

I noticed your avatar, but I assumed it was a sports thing I wouldn't understand so I didn't mention it.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 09:47:07 »
I noticed it too, but decided not to make the obligatory crankwalk jokes.

*ducks*

*runs*

:D

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 12:36:19 »
This will sound stupid, but it happens to be one of my favourite logos so I noticed it.  Also I noticed it was a 3D spinning version, and since 3D graphics are my forté it caught my interest.  I'm in issue 107 of 3D World magazine (don't know if it's out yet in the States).

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 13:00:49 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6991
I noticed it too, but decided not to make the obligatory crankwalk jokes.

I don't own a 2nd generation DSM, so go ahead and crack yourself up.  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 13:32:07 »
I thought this was an English forum ...

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 14:09:48 »
And I....am totally lost.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 14:20:36 »
Okay, wow...DSM = "Diamond Star Motors" and crankwalk is really really baaaaaad.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 14:29:19 »
Yep, cars are only as good as their local work-force.  Case in point, Honda cars in Europe are consistently among the most reliable brands year on year, except for the Civic.  Why?  Because it's built proudly (and badly) in England :P.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 16:42:15 »
Quote from: ashort;7000
Okay, wow...DSM = "Diamond Star Motors" and crankwalk is really really baaaaaad.

And DSM is often used to refer to three of the products of Diamond Star Motors (joint venture between Mitsubishi (note the diamonds) and Chrysler (who had a pentastar as their logo)) - the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser. (However, several other models were produced by DSM.)

Anyway, if I had to have a mid-90's basketcase of a sports compact, I think I'd pick the Corrado over a DSM. Although I think I'd go for a VR6, the G60 is just too unreliable. :p

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 16:42:44 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;7001
Yep, cars are only as good as their local work-force.  Case in point, Honda cars in Europe are consistently among the most reliable brands year on year, except for the Civic.  Why?  Because it's built proudly (and badly) in England :P.

My parents had a 1987 Toyota van built in Germany.  That thing never had a problem, and it probably would be running today if my dad wasn't broad-sided in it (the old Toyota vans had a center-mounted engine, so the broad-side was fatal).  My parents bought it when we lived in England (Air Force) right before we moved back to the US.  At that time, vehicles made in Germany didn't have air conditioning.  I remember some pretty brutal Summers when I was a kid in the midwest and Texas.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 29 July 2008, 16:53:27 »
Obviously that wasn't a rule, my 1985 Jetta diesel was made in Germany, and had factory AC. ;)

It didn't WORK, of course, but it was there. (And, if it did work, it wouldn't have been worth it, because it would've made the car so dreadfully slow that it walking would have been faster. I've heard of many cases of this engine being unable to keep a car at 55 MPH on the flat with AC on.)

And, of course, until recently (with SUVs,) I think every Mercedes-Benz has been made in Germany, and many of those had AC, even back then... ;)

(But, maybe many vehicles for the German market didn't have AC. ;))

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 30 July 2008, 05:37:17 »
AC has become standard equipment here in recent years.

I have two american cars right now, both with non-working AC. :)

But back on topic: I'm using my HHKB almost exclusively. Still getting used to the cursor/selection combinations. And I start to get annoyed when I use a different keyboard and have to use cursor keys away from the home row.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 02 August 2008, 17:33:02 »
Focus 2001 sporting crunchy and oh-so-light, and genuine, white Alps switches.  I've gave up on the IBM Model F - key resistance is too high, although the buckling spring is music to my ears.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 02 August 2008, 18:25:15 »
I'm on my newly modified, new MK96 that I just posted a review of. Here's a pic:

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 02 August 2008, 18:33:58 »
Pretty sweet kb btw. :cool:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 02 August 2008, 19:24:46 »
Thanks, I dig it too.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 02 August 2008, 20:19:59 »
those yellow keys look rotten :-S, the grey and white keys add to the flavour though. I recommend cleaning your yellow keys so they all have the same tone as some are more yellower than others. then at least it looks done on purpose rather than scrapping pieces of keyboard together.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 02 August 2008, 21:12:32 »
No way, I like it this way.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 16:16:59 »
So I got my new Model M space saver from iMav today. He said it would be in pristine condition and it definitely is.

Now, the last M I had was a 1988 1391401, and it was built like a tank and the action was pretty light. The action on this one is a lot stiffer and the kickstands aren't quite as high. The frame of it isn't as deep either, so it's not just a Model M with the 10 key hacked off. But it is built like a tank and I can already fly on it which by itself is impressive.

But it came as I was getting ready to go to work, so unfortunately I can't type on it all day (until tomorrow) like I want to.

So people, the challenge begins now - I intend to only use this keyboard as my "daily driver" until Christmas at least. I will use the HHKB Pro2 and Lite 1 at work, and that's it.For now, I'll let the MK96 take a break.

More later kids, but I don't think there is too much value in posting pictures since we all know what this keyboard is and there are pics of it in the marketplace thread (it's the top one, the blue label 1397681). First impressions - it's very nice.

Thanks iMav for selling this to me. I've been wanting one of these since before I knew what the HHKB Pro was, and I've owned a Pro 2 for a year now.

Offline Vinz

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 14:24:42 »
New member signing in here. I've used hardclick keyboards in the distant past (as in >10 years ago), but once I started getting RSI the force needed to depress the keys forced me to stop using them.

I bought a programmable Kinesis Ergo Elan several years ago (with cherry browns, types lovely but the inadjustability of the "bowls" did me in in the end), switched to a couple of Comfort Keyboard systems (which have awesome adjustability but have a rubbery keyfeel), switched back to cheap logitechs (urgh) when one CK stopped working and the other was caught in a fire (office burned down) and started using my Kinesis again recently after verifying it had cherry browns inspired by lurking on this forum for a couple of days.

I'm now trying to decide if I want to continue using keyboards with ergonomic layouts or if I want to order a small Filco (probably with brown caps, although I'm curious about the blues too) once they become available again. Or maybe a realforce? Not too many opinions on those on this board it seems.
Kinesis Ergo Elan
Topre Realforce 86 KB (Black Korean edition)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 14:40:10 »
There are too many options and I like all of them. That is my problem.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 14:58:48 »
You know, are there any ergonomics like the Model M15/GoldTouch, using Cherry browns?

I'm not interested, but it sounds like that's what Vinz wants...

Of course, Vinz, have you tried Alps switches? There is always the Northgate Evolution if you like them...

I'd suggest the Model M15, which is adjustable, and has tactile switching, but first, they cost $11tybillion on the used market, and second, they are full buckling spring, which can be hard to depress. And, the GoldTouch is rubber dome (not BAD rubber dome, although the one I typed on... could've been better...)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 15:02:54 »
And if Alps are the thing, since they are lighter than the M and readily available, an Apple Adjustable, which uses pink "light tactile nonclick" Alps switches.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 15:06:33 »
Of course, that needs an iMate to work on a modern Mac or a PC...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 15:08:48 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;7588
You know, are there any ergonomics like the Model M15/GoldTouch, using Cherry browns?

I'm not interested, but it sounds like that's what Vinz wants...

Of course, Vinz, have you tried Alps switches? There is always the Northgate Evolution if you like them...

I'd suggest the Model M15, which is adjustable, and has tactile switching, but first, they cost $11tybillion on the used market, and second, they are full buckling spring, which can be hard to depress. And, the GoldTouch is rubber dome (not BAD rubber dome, although the one I typed on... could've been better...)

Kinesis and Matron (?) make ergonomics w/Cherry browns.  They are very expensive and not the traditional split-layout like MS's.  I have the Evolution (see my review in the review section), and I love it.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 15:23:40 »

The Cherry MX-5000.

And if Alps are the thing, since they are lighter than the M and readily available, an Apple Adjustable, which uses pink "light tactile nonclick" Alps switches.

Mine have white Alps like the Extended II. With the same dampening at the bottom. Pink was the generation before that, 0116 and Extended I, IIRC.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 16:00:34 »
The Cherry MX-5000.

Where can you find one of these?  I am very interested.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 16:16:27 »
Quote from: itlnstln;7592
Matron (?)

Maltron

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 16:17:07 »
I ordered a Unicomp Endurapro last friday, it hasnt shipped yet, but it probably should be here within a week or so. Currently I'm using a Cherry G83-6105, it's probably the best non-mechanical keyboard Ive ever used, definitely not without its faults though; the keys dont offer much resistance which means I end up depressing keys by accident and ending up with a load of typos.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 16:22:04 »
Quote from: xsphat;7597
Maltron

Damn, close... but no cigar.  BTW, I just sent an e-mail to DSI to see if they will have an ergonomic, mechanical 'board sometime in the near future.  If not, I will probably buy another Evolution and wrap up (at least temporarily) any new purchases.  Especially with vintage, OOP keyboards, I like to have at least one backup.

Offline 2097

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 08:19:36 »
Quote from: 2097;63416
I like this keyboard very, very much. I only wish it didn't have the logo down in the right corner.

The logo came off. One year later and I'm still using this keyboard.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 08:57:26 »
I'm using my at101w right now. But I switch to the others listed on my sig whenever I just need a change.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline bigpook

« Reply #182 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 09:25:04 »
Lke watduzhkstand4 I rotate through what I have. But I have been using the filco mini with black alps for about 3 weeks now.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 10:19:04 »
How much difference is there comparing a HHKB to a rubber dome keybard? I was thinking the HHKB might just need heavier strokes considering there is that cone spring with the rubber inside.
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline cchan

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 11:37:14 »
Right now I am using my IBM Thinkpad X60's internal keyboard. For the past week or so I have been switching up between it, an NMB RT6856TW dome keyboard, and the ML4100 on the desktop downstairs.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline jelly

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 11:56:26 »
filco n key rollover user (:

Offline pfink

« Reply #186 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 15:10:24 »
I'm using a Model M Industrial (1394946) that I bought on eBay last week for $45. Nice 'board.

I also picked up an IBM UK 42H1292, an IBM POS keyboard (for parts) and three white Dell AT101W's last week at a government surplus warehouse for $3.00 apiece. Life is good.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 15:35:24 »
PSP onscreen keyboard &OMNIKEY EVOLUTION
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline huha

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 16:20:01 »
Currently, I'm using my Unicomp Endurapro yet again. The last few days, I used a G80-11900 with MX blacks. Quite a nice board. I'll try to use the Compaq G80-11801 with browns next, but I suspect the slightly unnerving trackball will hinder me from really appreciating it. I might swap the internals with the 11900, though. My G80-3000 with greens doesn't really like to sit around idly, too ... decisions, decisions, it's all so complicated!

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline wheel83

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 16:26:09 »
ibm
model m
space saving keyboard !
I <3 BS

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 19:08:28 »
Normally I have a Kinesis Contour AT -> PS/2 on the PS/2 port (and on the USB a Saitek Eclipse with the backlit keys for after hours).

However, this instant my Northgate OmniKey/102 graces my desk alone. Because of all the experiments I've been attempting this day, all lmy keyboards are stacked in USB and PS/2 piles, and I needed a fast, known-quantity to boot for a few minutes.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 07 June 2009, 20:32:07 »
I'm in progress with a wooden keyboard inspired by this: http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml
I'm a wood guy, not metal, so I've used rosewood instead of brass.

Pictures aren't available yet. The key caps are still IBM's until I find a typewriter. I confess it's been a while with no suitable typewriter located (¿a year maybe?), so I may grow impatient and design a wooden keycap to match the side panels, or possibly re-encase the thing in a custom rosewood shell.

The rosewood keyboard is part of a system. A few years back I found a slew of $15 miniITX terminals that run 800MHz VIA CPUs on 12VDC, and use no fans. Reminded me of the Commodore 64 convection cooling. I was planning to make a rosewood "laptop" (inspired by http://www.macmod.com/external-mods/ibook/166 ) but that was too hard (batteries are heavy). The CPU has been iMac-ed into a 14" LCD, where I also failed at the idea of a wooden pen-based machine (inspired by http://www.fabiennemaurer.com/blogflo/?page_id=3) because I wasn't able to bring myself to destroy^h^h^h disassemble my Wacom tablet. This may change.

EDIT: suddenly i'm inspired to make three separate H-like pieces, essentially keyboard, motherboard, and display, with guts all hanging out and nicely sanded and veneered wooden side panels to hold each at the proper angle....
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2009, 20:54:43 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 14:26:19 »
While I'm not generally a big fan of zombie threads, here's my €0.02:
@home (as right now): Model M
@work: Cherry G80-3000HEMDE (the one with two-shot molded keycaps and clears)
As my other computers currently aren't used much, the other G80s are somewhat bored.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline vyshane

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 23:26:46 »
At home: Model M mini
At work: Realforce 86 and SMK-88 (blues)

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 01:45:16 »
Quote from: vyshane;94884
At home: Model M mini
At work: Realforce 86 and SMK-88 (blues)

does the smk-88 comes in anything other than the blue cherries?
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 03:26:36 »
black cherrys.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline cchan

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 05:54:04 »
Have pity on me, for my allegiance is broken!!!

iow, i'm using a Cherry RS6700 rubber dome board today.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline ssb

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 07:30:49 »
Still using RealForce 87U and DAS III at home, Filcos and Cherries at work.
Please excuse my poor English.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 08:29:27 »
Home: HHKB
Work: HHKB
(I got my wife to make a keyboard cozy for it because I've been hauling it around)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 08:38:29 »
Home: G80-3000.
Work: AT101W/ABS M1/MS Natural Elite (rarely)

At home, I have stopped going swapping between the Cherry and the Customizer, although when I need to free write, I will plug the Customizer.