Author Topic: What keyboard are you using right now?  (Read 63919 times)

Offline Eclairz

What keyboard are you using right now?
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 10:32:07 »
Work : Logitech G11 (the horror, not really but i need something quiet in my office and these are bearable plus the quick macro functionality saves alot of time programming, got it real cheap from staples, some people think your an extra from star trek with this keyboard which is a plus in my book)

Home : Cherry G80-1856 (Modified to use blue cherrys instead of blacks together with remapped keys to chord page up, page down, home and end keys) Preferred layout over my G80-3000 standard layout now.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 10:46:15 »
Quote from: cchan;94893
Have pity on me, for my allegiance is broken!!!

iow, i'm using a Cherry RS6700 rubber dome board today.

So... how do you dislike it? ;)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline cchan

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 12:51:46 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;94919
So... how do you dislike it? ;)
RS domes don't feel mushy, much to my surprise! I think they're a nice low force dome board. Not bad for six bucks shipped.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 13:18:34 »
Using MY Cherry today. Aesthetically it's pleasing, clean, white, crisp: has seen maybe 30 hours of use. but the typos are coming almost as fast as I type. Either I'm hitting multiple keys more often, or I've become Tommy Ten-Thumbs overnight. Time to go back to a Type M.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 13:58:59 »
Quote from: ricercar;94988
Using MY Cherry today. Aesthetically it's pleasing, clean, white, crisp: has seen maybe 30 hours of use. but the typos are coming almost as fast as I type. Either I'm hitting multiple keys more often, or I've become Tommy Ten-Thumbs overnight. Time to go back to a Type M.

This is something I notice when I move to lighter keycaps.  I seem to make more errors since I can't get away with accidently hitting wrong keys.  With heavier switches, I can be a little more "sloppy."  After awhile, I get used to it and become a better typist.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 14:02:12 »
Quote from: itlnstln;94999
This is something I notice when I move to lighter keycaps.  I seem to make more errors since I can't get away with accidently hitting wrong keys.  With heavier switches, I can be a little more "sloppy."  After awhile, I get used to it and become a better typist.

ya i'm much more accurate on medium/heavy keys, prolly for the reasons you describe.  And less typo correction translates directly into higher WPM. I also like how they make me exert just enough so I feel energetic hammering away on them. BS and the "real-simplified alps" in the TP2 were the two switches that worked really well in this regard (the latter being very hard to find, btw)for me.  Black cherries for instance were heavy but too heavy I thought.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 14:12:14 »
Quote from: itlnstln;94999
I seem to make more errors since I can't get away with accidently hitting wrong keys .... After awhile, I get used to it and become a better typist.

Good point. I discovered sloppy technique in piano keyboard when I moved from an early Arp synthesizer to a MIDI keyboard with velocity and aftertouch; also discovered sloppy technique in driving my car when I moved from a consumer sports car to a more expensive vehicle.

Time to improve alphanumeric keyboard technique. I'll keep the Cherry on my desk for a while and see if I get fewer typos before I get too frustrated.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 14:23:21 »
Quote from: ricercar;95005
Good point. I discovered sloppy technique in piano keyboard when I moved from an early Arp synthesizer to a MIDI keyboard with velocity and aftertouch; also discovered sloppy technique in driving my car when I moved from a consumer sports car to a more expensive vehicle.

Time to improve alphanumeric keyboard technique. I'll keep the Cherry on my desk for a while and see if I get fewer typos before I get too frustrated.

I find that once I clean up my typing using a lighter switch, I am much faster and more accurate.  I pretty much suck at typing anyway, so any improvement is welcomed.

Offline justin

IBM Model M, 1391401 :)
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 01:34:41 »
It's actually my first mechanical board. I'm using it with my iMac, after years of using the Apple Mushboard Plastic & Aluminum Mushboard. ;) I LOVE this thing! It absolutely blew me away the first time I typed on it. A vast & welcome change from the world of cheap china-made trash!

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 02:41:49 »
Quote from: justin;107066
It's actually my first mechanical board. I'm using it with my iMac, after years of using the Apple Mushboard Plastic & Aluminum Mushboard. ;) I LOVE this thing! It absolutely blew me away the first time I typed on it. A vast & welcome change from the world of cheap china-made trash!

i hope you voted in the poll!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 03:35:15 »
Original IBM PC AT 84-key Buckling Springs over Capacitive Contact Key Switches

Is there any other keyboard?  Just kidding.   I actually have a Northgate Omnikey 102, several Chicony KB-5181s, several vintage Model Ms (including some NIB) and an early Jan 1986 1390120 which weighs a lot, but has rather light springs.

Out of the several PC AT keyboards I own, one in particular stands out from the others because of the particularly smooth key action.  The force required to register the key presses is perfect for my fingers.  No matter what keyboard I try, I ALWAYS look forward to coming back to my favorite PC AT keyboard.

I am looking forward to acquiring a HHKB Pro 2 and Topre Realforce keyboard in the near future to see what all the fuss is about.  I understand that they do not provide the buckling spring tactility of the  IBM PC AT keyboards (what keyboard does?) but many of the Japanese seem to prefer the HHKB and Topre boards next to the 84-key IBM PC AT keyboard.

I would also like to try a Filco Cherry Brown keyboard for grins someday.  Actually, I wanna try em all.
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 04:17:03 »
As long as I have to wait for my new Board, I use my old Olympia-Board (G80-1000).
\\Cherry:
*G80-1800, G80-3700, G80-1000, G80-1501, G80-2550,
*G81-8308, G81-1800, G81-1000, G84-4100, G84-4700

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 04:49:02 »
Quote from: Bollwerk;107077
As long as I have to wait for my new Board, I use my old Olympia-Board (G80-1000).

BTW, can you tell which revision (and production time --> serial number) it is or what kind of rollover capability it has?

There's one that's been floating on the 'bay for ages but doesn't look too well-kept (which I guess is why nobody bothered to pick it up)... I'd be afraid of inequal yellowing showing after removing the stickers.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline vils

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 05:26:51 »
For the moment I'm using my crappy Toshiba laptop's built in KB. It's a horror.
For some reason the computer gets very unstable if I connect more than one usb device at a time. A external mouse is my choice before a keyboard since the touchpad is hopeless to use, especially when a external KB gets in the way.
To make things ergonomically worse I have to raise the back of the laptop 6" to improve airflow. If I don't the computer overheats and restarts...
Must finish project Facit.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 06:40:52 »
I'm currently using my Model F. It makes the Model M seem like a rubber dome board.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 06:52:36 »
Quote from: timw4mail;107090
I'm currently using my Model F. It makes the Model M seem like a rubber dome board.

Now that's what I call a hyperbowl!

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 07:03:08 »
Quote from: ch_123;107094
Now that's what I call a hyperbowl!

Well, to me it makes the Model M seem like a rubber dome board in comparison.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 07:06:35 »
I'd like to see what rubber dome boards you've been using... Sure the M-style Buckling Springs are nowhere near as sharp, but I'd still take them over just about anything else except blue Cherrys.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 08:10:23 »
Quote from: justin;107066

I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything, but to my old-school computing a*s, the thought of using an IBM keyboard on a Mac is hilarious.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 08:17:35 »
He's definitely not the first person to do it.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 09:51:22 »
The wonderful world of the Universal Serial Bus... :smile:

In return, an Extended II should also work on a regular Wintel PC (provided one could dig up one of these elusive Griffin IMates), shouldn't it?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 10:04:08 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;107141

In return, an Extended II should also work on a regular Wintel PC (provided one could dig up one of these elusive Griffin IMates), shouldn't it?

Yes.  This has been done here, too, and is equally funny to me.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 10:04:30 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;107141

I've heard of ADB adapters, so yes, you should.

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 12:40:27 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;107078
BTW, can you tell which revision (and production time --> serial number) it is or what kind of rollover capability it has?

There's one that's been floating on the 'bay for ages but doesn't look too well-kept (which I guess is why nobody bothered to pick it up)... I'd be afraid of inequal yellowing showing after removing the stickers.

Well it has NKRO.

Olympia Aktiengesellschaft

Ser-Nr.: 4108

BM-Nr.: 37.400-0012.9

Don't know, what this number is.
37 260-3712.1 (00)

Tomorrow or later I can give you the number of the PCB.
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #224 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 14:07:28 »
Quote from: ch_123;107097
I'd like to see what rubber dome boards you've been using... Sure the M-style Buckling Springs are nowhere near as sharp, but I'd still take them over just about anything else except blue Cherrys.

It's all relative isn't it?

The IBM 84-key PC AT provides excellent keyboard precise and crisp auditory and tactile feedback, while requiring relatively light key force (well. light to me, but heavy to other people who prefer Blue Cherry key switches).

The IBM 83-key PC/XT keyboard is even more "clicky" and tactile than the 84-key PC AT keyboard.  It is the loudest keyboard I have ever typed on, but I never used any of the IBM terminal keyboards.  I actually prefer the 84-key PC AT keyboard feel over the PC/XT keyboard (completely independent of the key layout and compatibility issues).

My next choice would be the Chicony KB-5181 with its blue tactile SMK Monterey key switches,  fake Alps,  or whatever they are.  Although the plastics are cheap, I prefer the Chicony boards over Blue Cherry boards and also over the Model Ms.  The tactile bump is sharp vs. the Model M and the keys require slighty more force than Blue Cherry key switches.

My third choice is a silver or white label Model M.  I have gone to extraordinary lengths to acquire and compare Model Ms made from 1986 to 1999.  I've seen all the "scientific" analysis on this forum about weight, plastic quality, spring length, etc.  If you line the boards up side by side, it is clear that the pre 1991 IBM Model Ms are superior to Model Ms manufactured after the keyboard manufacturing was outsourced to Lexmark and later Unicomp.

The early Model Ms just feel more satisfying to type on vs. the later Model Ms, including later model NIB keyboards.  Compared to an orginal IBM PC AT keyboard, the Model M does feel dull.  But compared with any "modern" rubber dome keyboard, the Model M feels razor sharp.

For those who prefer light key presses, the orginal white ALPS found on the Northgate Omnikey keyboards are hard to beat.  I prefer them over Blue Cherry key switches.  

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I use an iONE Qtronix Scorpius 32 key numeric keypad with my PC AT keyboard because Scorpius has a set of dedicated arrow keys and an enter key on the number pad.  The difference in quality and typing feel between the IBM buckling springs over capacitive contacts vs. the Blue Cherry MX key switches could not be more dramatic.  The sound and feel of the keys on the Scorpius make it seem like a cheap toy compared to the machine like feel of the IBM PC AT key switches.

I returned my Das keyboard, but I intend to give Blue Cherries another shot when Filco releases the new 104 key Blue Cherry keyboard later this summer. (distributed by Elite Keyboards).
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 14:30:46 »
Quote from: Bollwerk;107215
Well it has NKRO.

That would be impressive. So it does accept, say, ASDFGHJKL?

These numbers don't tell me much, must be internal.

Seems like AEG-Olympia computers came in XT to 486 versions back in the day and were quite service-friendly.
Tomorrow or later I can give you the number of the PCB.

Watch out for stickers on the top side in particular. Usually there should be some encoding the model number (minus "G80-") and production date.

In my G80-1000 I confusingly found both "1196HAD / 00" (B05 date code) and "1000HAF / 17" (B04 date code). It would make sense if this was originally intended for a regular French layout rev. 17 board but then used for an OEM order, but the date codes are the other way round. It definitely is a German layout OEM board though. I may never know for sure - the back label is missing.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 14:54:42 »
Quote from: maxlugar;107254
As I've mentioned in a previous post, I use an iONE Qtronix Scorpius 32 key numeric keypad with my PC AT keyboard because Scorpius has a set of dedicated arrow keys and an enter key on the number pad.  The difference in quality and typing feel between the IBM buckling springs over capacitive contacts vs. the Blue Cherry MX key switches could not be more dramatic.  The sound and feel of the keys on the Scorpius make it seem like a cheap toy compared to the machine like feel of the IBM PC AT key switches.

I returned my Das keyboard, but I intend to give Blue Cherries another shot when Filco releases the new 104 key Blue Cherry keyboard later this summer. (distributed by Elite Keyboards).

I just got my Scorpius 32, and it has fake Cherry switches, with translucent plungers. They do feel quite similar to the blue Cherry switches, though.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 15:02:20 »
Quote from: timw4mail;107268
I just got my Scorpius 32, and it has fake Cherry switches, with translucent plungers. They do feel quite similar to the blue Cherry switches, though.

i had one of those fake translucent-plunger cherry boards. its clicky like blue cherries, a bit more tactile.

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 16:31:17 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;107261
That would be impressive. So it does accept, say, ASDFGHJKL?

These numbers don't tell me much, must be internal.

Seems like AEG-Olympia computers came in XT to 486 versions back in the day and were quite service-friendly.

Watch out for stickers on the top side in particular. Usually there should be some encoding the model number (minus "G80-") and production date.

In my G80-1000 I confusingly found both "1196HAD / 00" (B05 date code) and "1000HAF / 17" (B04 date code). It would make sense if this was originally intended for a regular French layout rev. 17 board but then used for an OEM order, but the date codes are the other way round. It definitely is a German layout OEM board though. I may never know for sure - the back label is missing.

Hm. I messed up. It doesn't have NKRO. It can register really lots of keys, but not as many as I want. Combinations with the arrwocluster and the numpad are no problem as well as many other combinations. It isn't critical but surprisingly the whole row isn't possible. Well, sry for the misinformation.
Tomorrow I'll open it.
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 16:53:01 »
Quote from: Bollwerk;107290
Hm. I messed up. It doesn't have NKRO. It can register really lots of keys, but not as many as I want.
So, what does it accept then? How many of ASDFGH do you get, for example? For these old-style Cherry matrices, things like QWASYX are not a problem, but on boards without diodes, you get no more than QW out of QWER or AS out of ASDF. For reference, my G80-1000 (with diodes) manages 3KRO, it can do QWE or ASD (or both). It fails SDFJKL, and ASDFG gives .

EDIT: Mind if we take this over to the NKRO thread and continue there (so we don't clutter this thread too much)?
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2009, 16:59:42 by keyb_gr »

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 17:07:39 »
I find it really odd.
asdfklöä#

you might miss ghj.

ghjlköä#

xD

I'm not kidding.

wqeriopü+
tzuiopü+

bnm,.-

It seems like

tzu
ghj
vbn

is special. Beats me. You are the professionals. Tell me, what's going on. ;)
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline DrunkenDonut

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 17:58:29 »
Just got an AT101W  :D Fun stuff.

At first I didn't like the Brown Cherrys much since it was low force. I use it at work a lot though, so I'm used to it. Slight bump, quiet, and low force. The AT101W and the ABS M1 are both heavier and the bump is definitely more defined. The AT101 seems to have force all the way to the bottom, whereas the M1 gives after the bump. I'm missing some key presses due to this. They feel nice though. My only major complaint right now is that the space bar is looser than the other keys and makes rattling sounds.

Only white alps and clear cherrys to try out and I'm going to call it good. I don't think I need more variations unless I feel like springing for a Topre. I have enough keyboards to provide me with years of rotation fun as is. Oh yeah, this thing isn't small. I really should have a desk for this, rather than using my lap.
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 03:14:44 »
Quote from: Bollwerk;107309
wqeriopü+
tzuiopü+

Seems like it's a generous 4-key rollover then (it won't do QWERT?). Must be a revision 16 or older but newer than rev. 03. Expect to find some date stamp on the case parts, must be older than my G80-1000 (Jan 1989) in any case.

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #233 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 04:07:41 »
I'll open it, when I'm home. ;)
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #234 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 18:06:56 »
OK.

601-1458 Rev.: 03 is printed on the PCB

There are two Stickers:

CHERRY 4160 A35
1089HBD/03

and:

1089HBD/03

There is a Phillips-Chip on the PCB but I can't make good photos.

Sigh. Don't expect me ever opening this case again. It sucks so hard. Don't expect a good case-Quality. The caple isn't fixed or something. Just thrown in an rolled on a ring to hinder it pulling at the PCB. Just cheap. Made in Germany... what a mess.
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 02:55:41 »
So that makes your board a G80-1089HBD / 03 from week 35, 1988.
Ah, stupid me, this was already visible on your cellphone camera shots here.

Cherry boards have never been overbuilt, that's true. But then they never really costed an arm and a leg either (maybe around 110 DM in the early '90s). Plus, the construction does get the job done plenty well enough and makes them quite service-friendly to boot. And that's what ultimately counts. They were mainly targeting the office market anyway.

Offline tds1

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 22:01:24 »
I am using the HP Wireless Elite Keyboard.  Very thin and ultra light touch.  It is the best keyboard I have used to date.  Very fast for typing.  I have been using computers since 1984 and have tried many different keyboards.  For me, the lighter touch the better.  I also have the Microsoft Mobile 6000 Bluetooth keyboard.  It is also nice, but only if you like the curve.  I think the HP keyboard is a little lighter touch.  At work I have a Gyration Elite keyboard which is 4 times the price and types very similar to the HP.  I highly recommend the scissor style because they have such a light touch.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 22:11:35 »
I primarily use an IBM Model M 1391401 (two-piece keycaps), with an IBM/Lexmark Model M 1370477 (one-piece keycaps) as a backup. I expect to keep using them for as long as they work; these buckling-spring switches are just so delightful with their tactile feel. I know exactly when one has pressed and released, and there's a lot of travel to them.

That said, I still want to try out some of the other switch types and more exotic keyboard designs (specifically the contoured Maltron and Kinesis), though I don't particularly have to. White XMs in a Focus FK-2001 weren't particularly desirable (inconsistent feel), but Cherry MX Blues and Browns should fare better, hopefully.

Also, I've tried a few Apple Extended Keyboard IIs. The keys feel way too linear. No obvious sign that they've actuated or released. (This is why I don't expect to like Cherry MX Blacks, even for gaming.)

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 22:12:47 »
I'm using mostly this: SMK-88 with cherry blues.  Multimedia keycaps and function keycaps are removed to make it essentially a Plum-84 keyboard.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline adamlau

« Reply #239 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 22:31:19 »
Customizer 104 (Pearl White).  Running xev to see which keys are registering improper keycodes...
Realforce 87UKB | Realforce 103UB |  Customizer 104 (Pearl White) |  Customizer 104 (Black/Gray) |  Cherry G81-1800LUMUS-2 |  iOne Scorpius-M10 USB |  Cherry G83-6104LUNEU-2

Offline Pylon

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 22:32:28 »
Currently, I'm using a well worn, somewhat yellowed Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW, an unusually nice rubber dome.

Some of the F-keys have functions assigned to them to make up for the lack of extra keys. Ctrl-F7 is volume up, Ctrl-F8 is volume down, Ctrl-F6 is mute, Ctrl-F9 through F12 launches various apps, etc. Making shortcuts is really easy with Ubuntu.

Other than that, I partly sanded the keys with 320 grit since they were originally pretty shiny.

Offline MyNameIsDan

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 00:05:00 »
Currently using a filco browns! wanting to buy  a unicomp spacesaver though, or some other clicky keyboard for the funness.
Current Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 104 Browns (FKBN104M/EB)

Current Mice: Steelseries Xai (1400cc//800cc) on Steelseries 9HD.

Anyone want to donate me a keycap remover? <3

Offline gore

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 05:33:07 »
Right now I'm using a g84 4100LCAGB-0

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 05:57:23 »
At home: IBM Model F AT
At work: Logitech UltraX Premium - feels like typing on a wooden plank
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 06:51:33 »
Rosewill RK-9000.

I've gotten to the point of taking it work with me rather than typing on the super cheap HP OEM keyboards there. Or leaving my 6Gv2 there, since its not quite as loud:redface:
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 08:16:28 »
Topre at home.
Das Model S at work.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 08:29:43 »
I have been switching between the HHKB and the Model M Mini for the past 6 months or so. Have been using the mini for the past 2 months...
I may take the HHKB to work. Need to get a travel case for it first.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 08:30:06 »
See my sig =)

Soon to be a Topre at work though (now that I have 3) - I think I'll bring it next Monday. Can't decide whether I want a 55g or variable-force at work! Hmmm...

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #248 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 11:45:39 »
Good thread necro job there.

Dug out the G80-3000HEMDE (MX clears) here yesterday since I needed something quieter for Morse code exercises. Pretty nice, these clears - not quite up to blues or BS, but definitely among the good ones.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 11:51:12 »
Logitech G15 V1 (rubberdome). Good working condition except the LCD screen, and one of the + keys on the numpad doesn't work which i never use anyway.

My Ducky 9008 with laser etched pbt keycaps which i've already paid for will only arrive in December :{

The double shots keycaps will arrive sooner :X Sometime this November.
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]