Author Topic: My IBM Model M and why he doesn't get used anymore.  (Read 2599 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
My IBM Model M and why he doesn't get used anymore.
« on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 23:04:13 »
Part No: 1391401
ID No: 3930305
Date: 25Jul89
Plt No JL Model M
Made in the USA

So I have had this guy for a while. I bought him as a refurb off ebay 5 or 6 or 7 years ago. He is the keyboard that got me started. I love his weight and his look. But i do not use him anymore.

I dont think I like him anymore. Ever since i got started on Cherry Blues the Model M just feels sluggish. I use to remember loving the IBM. But now its just.... blurgh.  He hasnt been cleaned in a long time. Perhaps he could use a tune-up. Perhaps there is something wrong with it, I dont know. I dont ever see other IBM Model M around to compare it.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them after messing around with Cherry? or Topre? Alps? or even a Unicomp?

|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline longface

Re: My IBM Model M and why he doesn't get used anymore.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 23:50:48 »
I'm the other way around.  I started with a Filco with Cherry MX blue switches, but after I got the IBM Model M, I couldn't type on the Filco any more. 

The Filco does sound and feel "better", but for some reason there is not as much fun as typing on the "antique" Model M. 
ThinkPads, tennis racquets and now, keyboards

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 00:13:27 »
My model M didn't get used anymore either, after I went to a Model F...

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 00:14:14 »
BAM!

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 00:15:43 »
I love the switches on my unicomp, but hate the layout. So big.

Offline minority

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:25:51 »
I love the switches on my unicomp, but hate the layout. So big.
And.... I love the big size layout, XD
Keyboard is not only switch

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 07:19:41 »
your model M probably needs bolt mod, most likely it lost the crispy sound and feel of the springs
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 08:25:27 »
My model M didn't get used anymore either, after I went to a Model F...

This.

After a Model F you are spoiled.

But I also second the bolt-mod and cleanup suggestion.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:27:58 »
I have a Model M but figured out that I prefer the smoothness of linear switches, so the M stays in the closet while I use the Noppoo with MX Black.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:29:36 »
I somehow prefer Unicomp to Model M, but I'm not a fan of any Cherry MX switches. I was using MX Blue at work for years before I tried BS, but once I tried the proper switch there is no turning back. I only sometimes use HHKB sometimes, mostly because of the layout, but I also like the Topre, it's pretty much opposite of BS (silent, light and smooth) but it's also very high quality feel which I appreciate.
I also sometimes (but rather rarely) use IBM Model F AT I recently restored. I love the feel, but can't live with the layout.
And one more word about Blue Cherry MX. To me it feels like a cheap rip off of BS...
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:31:43 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:35:32 »
hmm bolt mod eh?  my key presses feel slow and sluggish on my IBM. you guys think this mod would resolve that?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:43:16 »
A Model M will never be as "crisp" as a Model F, but the bolt-mod really tightens things up. It also allows you to adjust the feel.

I have done several, and suggest that you install the bolts but just make the nuts "finger-tight" (I use the socket in my fingers, no wrench handle) to keep the feel light. The tighter the bolts, the "deader" the sound and feel, in my opinion. They need to all be in place (broken rivet problem) but not forced down.

I have also bought a couple of lightly-used M-122s (harder to find now) to harvest springs. The jury is out on how much fresh springs will improve the feel, but it doesn't hurt.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:03:15 »
how would i know if i need to replace the springs?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:23:41 »
how would i know if i need to replace the springs?

You don't really know, that is a pretty esoteric mod.

- IF - your current keyboard has a lot of miles on it, and - IF - you can get your hands on a set of fresh spring/hammers for cheap, then while you have it apart, you should do it.

Otherwise, don't worry about it. You might consider swapping the half-dozen or so most-used ones (Enter, Spacebar, Delete, arrows) for springs from F12, Pause, etc).

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:55:27 »
I started with a Model M, then went to a Model F 122-key (it's like using an aircraft carrier for a keyboard) and then tried out Cherry Blues. I'm still loving the Model F and M over the blues. Blues are too wimpy feeling. They're clicky and all, but the Model F feels so much more substantial. At least with a Model M you're typing on history.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:03:56 »
I switched to 55g Topre and sold pretty much everything else.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 07:38:29 »
It's a tossup between a Model F and Chicony KB-5181 for me.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 09:17:35 »
It's a tossup between a Model F and Chicony KB-5181 for me.

Very close to my feelings. Too bad the Chicony is such a junk package with those exquisite switches in it.

(and also I hate the bigass Enter and small Backspace.)