Author Topic: My Ducky has arrived!!  (Read 4979 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
My Ducky has arrived!!
« on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:17:31 »
Ok a quick summary of my mechanical keyboard history (one whole month so far  ;D ).....my logitech K750 died on me so I was looking for a replacement and managed to go through a CM Storm Trigger with Reds another Trigger with browns and for kicks I got a CM Quickfire TK with blues they all had their own issues more quality control than anything and they all were sent back from whence they came.

So that's ~$300 spent and refunded plus a few weeks of my time with still no permanent keyboard.

In the process I found geekhack and must say thanks for all the information I've taken in so far and I am currently using a G84-4100 ML board that I found courtesy of this forum and ebay and for $15 its okay but only a short term solution.

Having already spent some time with Reds (felt too light), Browns (ok but not enough bump), Blues (better but click too annoying...my boss more than me) and yes even ML switches and after reading and asking some questions on the forums I'm thinking of going for Clears. I do like having the number pad and don't really have time to build myself any of the projects boards (maybe one day).

So on to my question and thanks ahead of time for the answers  8)

If I was going to buy the Ducky DK9008 Shine II White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Clear Cherry MX) just because I want a full size board and think clears will be a better fit for me...don't care about the backlighting... http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=296

Would these PBT key caps be a worthwhile investment? Or are there 'better' caps from elsewhere? http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=68

I know this is all opinions...but is there a better option out there for ~$200.....I'm pretty sure the boss is going to reimburse me the keyboard will be for work so no gaming!  :p

I also think that the PLUM96 would be an interesting option but they seem hard to get but I really like wireless boards and I do know KBTalking has a wireless option in full size but that boards weirds me out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 11:17:18 by SpAmRaY »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: About to go all in...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:21:43 »
If you're getting reimbursed for this, I'd hold out and try and find a set of imsto's Cherry pbt caps. Otherwise, that Ducky looks fine. Imsto's set is really really nice.

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:29:09 »
imsto's thick PBT keycaps are as close as you are going to get to old school craftsmanship.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:32:26 »
+1 for CPT's suggestion. Cherry doubleshots and Imsto's thick PBTs are the crème de la crème.

I own some Imsto PBTs in grey myself and they are lovely. I would highly recommend them.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:10:09 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Gray-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-Cherry-MX-Key-Caps-105-keys-included-/330861599475?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d08e35af3

Are these the recommended pbt caps? I know thats not IMSTO but I haven't had much luck with the whole buying from Taobao so far.

I'm not sure if I can get my boss to go for another ~$100 for key caps.....probably pushing it with the initial ~$150 for the keyboard but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:11:21 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Gray-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-Cherry-MX-Key-Caps-105-keys-included-/330861599475?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d08e35af3

Are these the recommended pbt caps? I know thats not IMSTO but I haven't had much luck with the whole buying from Taobao so far.

I'm not sure if I can get my boss to go for another ~$100 for key caps.....probably pushing it with the initial ~$150 for the keyboard but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Those are indeed Imsto's caps. In fact those are the exact ones I have - I also purchased them from feng's ebay.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:17:51 »

I have this set. I prefer the blue personally, but I always like the grey and blue together. Grey alphas with blue mods is always cool

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:41:57 »
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14264558225&spm=2014.12367366.0.0

I'm guessing those are not the thick caps just regular? I find them kind of cool and interesting.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:50:01 »
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14264558225&spm=2014.12367366.0.0

I'm guessing those are not the thick caps just regular? I find them kind of cool and interesting.
Yes those are just thin PBT. I think they're lasered not dyesub.
github

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:56:30 »
Show Image

I have this set. I prefer the blue personally, but I always like the grey and blue together. Grey alphas with blue mods is always cool
That looks really nice... except for the fact that your sticker is peeling up.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 13:03:56 »
Ok enough talking more doing...

I just purchased  ;D

Ducky DK9008 Shine II White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Clear Cherry MX)
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=296

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 13:06:07 »

I just purchased  ;D

Awesome! I'm sure you'll love it. What are your plans for the keycaps (if your boss will let you get them)?
github

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 13:26:16 »

I just purchased  ;D

Awesome! I'm sure you'll love it. What are your plans for the keycaps (if your boss will let you get them)?

I'm really liking these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Gray-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-Cherry-MX-Key-Caps-105-keys-included-/330861599475?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d08e35af3#shId

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 13:29:41 »

I just purchased  ;D

I'm really liking these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Gray-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-Cherry-MX-Key-Caps-105-keys-included-/330861599475?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d08e35af3#shId
Go for them if your boss will let you. They have a premium pricetag for a reason!
github

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 22:50:48 »
If you felt blues were too clicky and browns too light, and you want PBT keycaps... Have you considered just getting a Realforce 55g board instead? From your description, it sounds like you might benefit from trying Topre.
Realforce 87u 55g | WASD v1 with Blues | Quickfire Rapid with Blues | Filco 87 with Reds

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 13:46:39 »
If you felt blues were too clicky and browns too light, and you want PBT keycaps... Have you considered just getting a Realforce 55g board instead? From your description, it sounds like you might benefit from trying Topre.

I spent forever before I bought one and regret all the lost time, get the 55g.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: My Ducky has arrived!!
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:06:36 »
My Ducky arrived yesterday I'm typing on it right now. So far I'm still undecided going to give it some time.

Initial impressions the size is nice for a full size board its not overly huge like the cm storm trigger was.

Couple things and I'm probably just being anal but the rubber feet on the bottom were 'dirty' right out of the box and on such an expensive board (at least to me) I wouldn't think you could be able to see the attachment points on the keys but maybes this is normal with ABS?

The backlight is ok and it has a few interesting features but not really anything I need I could have done without it.

So far my impressions of clears seems to be a stiffer brown which I believe is what I was looking for...maybe.

And silly me the keyboard comes with a plastic cover, did not know this.

Here are some very bad pics

19673-0

19675-1

19677-2

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:20:37 »
Nice looking keyboard!

I'd be interested in your reviews of the MX Clear switches, I only have a few on one board (NumLock, CapsLock, etc.).  I've been looking for a full-size Ducky with green backligting, not sure if I should hold out for Clears or not.

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:26:31 »
I'd definitely give them a bit of time, I got a poker with ergo clears yesterday, and it's quite a change from my blacks (and the fact this poker has a plate whereas my previous didn't) and as a result I'm not 100% sold, but I'm going to give it some time to see how I feel, worst comes to worst I'll just try swapping some springs/stems.

Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline jksteger

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 12:02:47 »
I just got the Ducky Shine 2 with MX Clears and I have to say that I'm not digging it too much!  My keyboard that I was using the most was an Apple Extended Keyboard 2 but it was so big on my desk! 
I then ordered a Matias Quite Pro...
Amazing!  No frills keyboard.  Full size and has volume keys and media keys of Stop, Pause, Forward & Back but other than that, the keyboard is no frills.  It is smooth, has a nice tactile bump and I can type really fast on it.  Not exactly the same feel as the Apple Extended Keyboard 2 but pretty close.

So i read a thread here that stated the Cherry MX Clears were really close to the Apple Extended Keyboards dampened ALPS so I went to MK and ordered the Ducky Shine 9008 2 with Cherry MX Clears.

It arrived this morning and I'm using it now.

Impressions thoughts so far (3 hours of use)...

The keyboard is quite heavy!...VERY heavy!  It seems to have some bells and whistles.  The back lighting of course on it has several different functions with the back lighting and LED's.  But I want to focus on the Cherry MX switches and my thoughts so far.

When i first plugged it into my PC and started using it I was tempted to put it back in the box and call MK and get an RMA and send it back.  The keys feel "gritty" for lack of a better description.  They feel like someone took a brown switch and installed a stiff spring in them like a black or something.  I can feel the tactile bump a little but not too much.  I find that it doesn't take much effort to NOT bottom out with this keyboard because the resistance of the keys increases as your press down.  I have noticed my heavy hands are lighter after a few hours on this board. 
Some of the keys seemed to stick at first.  I have not noticed this in the past 30 minutes or so but it makes me wonder if the key stick will creep up again!  I'm not sure if these Clears require some "break in" time or not.  I'm still not sold on the feel of these switches.  I'm going to use this keyboard as my main driver for the next few days and see how it grows on me.  Since I'm a typist and not a gamer and I use these keyboards for 100% work, if they board does not grow on me before Friday afternoon I'm going to send it back to MK and keep the Matais Quiet Pro as my daily driver.

J.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 12:21:35 »
I have the Ducky Shine II with Clears and I like it a lot as a neutral keyboard that I can use for both gaming and typing.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:07:38 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41947.0

Don't know if this will help but in case you never saw the thread :)

I'm all for the Ducky Clears, I'm using one now as I type this and it's a beautiful keyboard (even though I don't really care for backlit either) but a set of standard OEM thin PBT's will make a world difference in how it sounds and feels. I have 2 ****ty quality youtube videos on page 2 there if you want the smallest idea of how it'll sound.

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:11:49 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:21:39 »
The quality really isn't that bad VesperSAINT. It's more that they're weird due to being upside down :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:24:04 »
The quality really isn't that bad VesperSAINT. It's more that they're weird due to being upside down :)

Hehe~ Thanks! Yeah... I really didn't want to waste the bandwidth on uploading a 720p video :P Doesn't help that video is in the dark.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:33:54 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41947.0

Don't know if this will help but in case you never saw the thread :)

I'm all for the Ducky Clears, I'm using one now as I type this and it's a beautiful keyboard (even though I don't really care for backlit either) but a set of standard OEM thin PBT's will make a world difference in how it sounds and feels. I have 2 ****ty quality youtube videos on page 2 there if you want the smallest idea of how it'll sound.

Yes your thread is one of the reasons I made this purchase and actually I've been using the board all day and as far as clears go I think I'm liking them still deciding but my OCD is kicking in with a few issues with the keys etc....

I posted in the ask a question thread but my OCD is bugging me on especially these two things.....

some of the lettering isn't quite right and there are holes in the tops of the key caps...examples
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:36:33 by ray4jc »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:37:17 »
Yes your thread is one of the reasons I made this purchase and actually I've been using the board all day and as far as clears go I think I'm liking them still deciding but my OCD is kicking in with a few issues with the keys etc....

The keys in my video or on your keyboard? If you're talking about my keyboard, I ended up changing it so it's more symmetrical :P

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:41:35 by VesperSAINT »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:39:02 »

The keys in my video or on your keyboard? If you're talking about my keyboard, I ended up changing it so it's more symmetrical :P

Show Image

Mine, yours looks ok!  :cool:

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:39:20 »
Symmetry!!!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:41:45 »

The holes at the top of the keycap is going to be an issue with pretty much every backlit keycap, I believe, because that's where they disconnect/cut the keycap off from the mold. The lettering, I'm not too sure what you mean but from what I can see on mine too, there are slight blemishes from imperfect painting of the black on the semi-translucent white plastic but nothing I'd call a dealbreaker :)

Man.. my white PBT spacebar hurts my feelings everytime I look at it... It came like that too :\ That's what I get for buying used keycaps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:43:34 by VesperSAINT »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:44:36 »

The holes at the top of the keycap is going to be an issue with pretty much every backlit keycap, I believe, because that's where they disconnect/cut the keycap off from the mold. The lettering, I'm not too sure what you mean but from what I can see on mine too, there are slight blemishes from imperfect painting of the black on the semi-translucent white plastic but nothing I'd call a dealbreaker :)

Man.. my white PBT spacebar hurts my feelings everytime I look at it... It came like that too :\ That's what I get for buying used keycaps.

So its normal that is really what I was after. Its not the end of the world I was just making sure mine wasn't the one dud around or something.  ;D

Offline jksteger

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:46:49 »
VesperSAINT,

you bought your keycaps used?  Dang, I was about to ask where you got yours from.  If I keep this board I will def want some new keycaps.  Are these Ducky keyboards "standard"?   Will they take any generic Cherry MX PBT keycaps?  Please excuse my stupidity in the area of keycaps as I am slowly coming up to speed.

J

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:51:50 »
Symmetry!!!

Delicious symmetry :D Sometimes I do things that are a little abstract but recently the theme has been symmetry :P

So its normal that is really what I was after. Its not the end of the world I was just making sure mine wasn't the one dud around or something.  ;D

Yes, it's normal. I'm glad I could put your mind at ease :) Enjoy it, dood. It's a beautiful and awesome keyboard. The backlit is a bonus, I guess :P You can do things like I did with my Exoskull :P

VesperSAINT,

you bought your keycaps used?  Dang, I was about to ask where you got yours from.  If I keep this board I will def want some new keycaps.  Are these Ducky keyboards "standard"?   Will they take any generic Cherry MX PBT keycaps?  Please excuse my stupidity in the area of keycaps as I am slowly coming up to speed.

J

If you're talking about my White PBT's, you can probably find them from vendors like Feng or Qtan on Ebay. Otherwise, you can find Ducky PBT's from tigerimports or mechanicalkeyboards com. There are also vendors directly on this site so you can always check there too :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:54:56 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:56:17 »
Will they take any generic Cherry MX PBT keycaps?
Any Cherry MX board will take any Cherry MX keycaps. It doesn't matter whether they're POM, ABS, PBT etc or whether they're thick or thin. Any Cherry MX keycaps will work.
github

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 16:59:02 »
Any Cherry MX board will take any Cherry MX keycaps. It doesn't matter whether they're POM, ABS, PBT etc or whether they're thick or thin. Any Cherry MX keycaps will work.

This.

As long as your keyboard has a standard ANSI layout they should fit. The only exceptions I can think of are Leopold which has different spacing for the spacebar, but you have a Ducky so you're all good to go.

Offline jksteger

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 18:56:57 »
thanks for the information on the keycaps!

j.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:48:47 »
So far I'm really liking this ducky with clears.

I should have some keycaps soon and another keyboard to compare.

I do notice sometimes some of the modifiers have a little different sound and feel depending on how I depress them.

But for my normal usage this keyboard is very comfortable and quiet.

I'd call it smooth.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:11:38 »
The slight differences you feel in the modifier keys with stabilizers is probably due to the Cherry stabilizers. That seems to be the main factor in why people prefer Costar stabilizers but I don't mind it much if not care at all. The fact that changing out keycaps is a breeze on them makes them awesome. I hope you get yourself a set of PBT's soon because it makes a huge improvement to the feel and sound of Clears.