Author Topic: Birthday keyboard...  (Read 3943 times)

Offline ShivaYash

Birthday keyboard...
« on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 14:56:16 »
Hello chaps,

I'm in love with my Filco full size board, its almost perfect, Cherry MX browns with stiff o-rings, I love it. However, I have been given £200 to spend by my mother-in-law and think this money should go to a 60% board.

I like the Cherry G84 but its not great for doing lots of typing on.

The HHK Pro 2 is temping me but why is it so damn expensive?

Being a FILCO man, what ever I buy next has to be top quality.

Any ideas? I have this money burning a hole in my pocket.

Replies much appreciated.

SY
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Birthday keyboard...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 15:02:08 »
I'd go for a custom Poker. You might even be able to get an aluminum case for it
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 15:04:48 »
And this will work nicely with a Mac?

Offline llovro

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 15:47:07 »
Get gh60.

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 15:52:37 »
Get gh60.

I thought that was closed
Ducky DK9008 Shine II Blue LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX)
Leopold Linear Touch FC500RR/AB (Red Cherry MX)

Offline ShivaYash

Birthday keyboard...
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 15:56:11 »
Who makes the Gh60?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:14:04 »
Who makes the Gh60?

It's a community (GeekHack) designed custom 60% keyboard.

Original (I think) thread here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34959.0
Group buy that just ended here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.0

You may be able to still get in on the group buy, I'm not sure how strict the deadline is.

These boards have not been produced yet and I think estimates put it around September for completion.  Basically how they work is that you buy the board from the group buy, but have to buy a case, switches (can optionally be bought from group buy), key caps, and USB cable separate. 
If you're looking to buy a fully assembled, no hassle board then this probably isn't for you.  It's a good project though if you want that.

You may be interested in a KBT Pure Pro that recently became available via massdrop here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kbt-pure-pro?s=keyboard
Since this is a new board I cannot speak to its quality, but it is another option that perhaps you didn't know about before.

Hope this helps.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:23:27 »
Poker 2 when it comes out. You will probably get it alot faster than the GH60 if you went that route. Also it comes pre installed with some pretty nice things.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:26:13 »
By the way Filco just released a 60% board,  the manila.
Also Leopold's new 600 in cherry and topre flavors

Offline ShivaYash

Birthday keyboard...
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:31:15 »
Thanks chaps. I'm testing the MINILA on Monday, I happen to be passing The Keyboard Company in Stroud en route from a country break. I'll check it out and report back.

Please keep me posted. When is the Poker 2 out? What nice stuff is installed?

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:44:39 »
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:46:59 »
I'd personally look at a Poker/Pure.

For £200 you might be able to get both a plate and alu case which will make it look epic, and feel really sturdy.

Even if you can't get both for that price the good thing about the Poker is you can get a wide variety of switches etc, and comes with a detachable cable, and obviously could can easily add an alu case at a later date for example :D
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:50:26 »
This Alu case + plate idea seem very very cool. The KBC Poker is a perfect sized board, and very comparable to the HHK pro. The latter I think has been given an epic following through clever marketing, or it is really that good?

Like GeorgeStorm I am based in the UK. Are bits for the Poker KBC easily available online, with shipping to the UK?

Thanks.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 17:01:34 »
It depends on how fast you want to purchase your keyboard, I would personally wait for the Leopold FC660C since it will have the Topre switch, arrow keys and most likely be sub $200 keyboard.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 18:23:18 »
I've never had one but Matias has something you'd probably like http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/ and its Alps.
I've never owned one, so I cant speak for its build quality, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 18:34:15 »
This Alu case + plate idea seem very very cool. The KBC Poker is a perfect sized board, and very comparable to the HHK pro. The latter I think has been given an epic following through clever marketing, or it is really that good?

Like GeorgeStorm I am based in the UK. Are bits for the Poker KBC easily available online, with shipping to the UK?

Thanks.

It's fairly difficult to get new poker stuff in the UK, but if you visit the marketplaces/group buy sections on here you should be able to find what you need.
There are several case group buys going ahead soon, and with the GH60 the plates etc are going to be easily available, first step is finding a poker with the switches you want (or finding the switches separately if you're willing to swap them all)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline babyhands

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 20:05:56 »
if you have tried topre and like it get a hhkb? Although from what you have been saying i don't think you have tried one. Pokers with customs cases/plates are so dang hott, go to the geekhack media forum and look at the post your poker thread http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35152.0 and it will probably convince you :P

Offline ShivaYash

Birthday keyboard...
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 01:32:53 »
I'm trying topre this weekend. Will report back. I just dislike the hhk pro 2 being over priced, need to find out if its justified.

Offline jalaj

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 01:58:05 »
I'm trying topre this weekend. Will report back. I just dislike the hhk pro 2 being over priced, need to find out if its justified.

The HHKB P2 is overpriced, but for a while it was the only compact Topre KB available, until recently the Leopold FC660C release. BTW, there are some subtle differences between using a HHKB P2 vs. a RF. Comparison reviews can found in this forum and others.
The value of JPN Yen has softened, so the HHKB P2 prices have dropped. For the lowest price, you can try buying it through a proxy from Fujitsu PFU direct or get one new/used from the FST section.

Offline BearHug

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 02:43:21 »
If you are lucky you can get a used HHKB for 200. Although ill never sell mine  :D
HHKB2  Noppo Choc mini (Browns) CM Storm TK (Reds) Blackwidow (Blues) Ozone Strike (Blacks)

Offline monday

• Days of Game
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 06:08:10 »
well........ I think I might win! how about this?
http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1365736667

I dont know how the build is.... but it cant be toooooo bad right?
I was thinking about getting one myself.
I know its not a HHKB but it might be close.

Offline ShivaYash

Birthday keyboard...
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:48:31 »
Ok so I wasn't able to test the filco MINILA this weekend. I'll try this week coming.

If I do opt for the hhkb - which model should I get?

Offline Hour

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 18:42:38 »

Offline ShivaYash

Birthday keyboard...
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 02:36:07 »
What's the official hhkb website?

Offline ShivaYash

Birthday keyboard...
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 17:53:02 »
I'm told the HHKB is not ROSH compliant. Any idea what this means?

I'm torn between the filco MINILA - poker kbc - hhkb

A difficult choice needs to be made.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 08:22:34 »
I'm told the HHKB is not ROSH compliant. Any idea what this means?

I'm torn between the filco MINILA - poker kbc - hhkb

A difficult choice needs to be made.

Go for the Poker

Offline jabar

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 11:54:53 »
I just looked it up: not ROSH compliant for keybs basically means Pb in the solder. I've never heard of that compliancy before and I imagine it's not a big deal unless you plan on incinerating your keybs.

The FC 660c Leopold keyboard would be my choice since the HHKB has such a weird layer system and overall bizarre layout which definitely messed with my typing on more standard keyboards. As such, I sold my HHKB even though I really like Topre switches.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:51:34 »
I'll taken that all important step and ordered the POKER 2 keyboard, with Cherry MX blues. I thought the price being offered 'off plan' was pretty good, it worked out circa £75 inclusive of delivery and is, so I've read, plate mounted!

To me, this seems cheap. Lets hope after my wonderful FILCO experience I am not horrified by the build quality. I am someone who really enjoys well built products, and absolutely hate cheaply made products. I wear a Rolex, own an old Mercedes and use MIELE household white goods - enough said I think.

Now my next question as a newbie is concerned with replacement FILCO keycaps. But I think I should start a new thread.

Thanks for all who replied - my knowledge is growing on this vast topic.

With best wishes,
SY

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:55:11 »
I'll taken that all important step and ordered the POKER 2 keyboard, with Cherry MX blues. I thought the price being offered 'off plan' was pretty good, it worked out circa £75 inclusive of delivery and is, so I've read, plate mounted!

To me, this seems cheap. Lets hope after my wonderful FILCO experience I am not horrified by the build quality. I am someone who really enjoys well built products, and absolutely hate cheaply made products. I wear a Rolex, own an old Mercedes and use MIELE household white goods - enough said I think.

Now my next question as a newbie is concerned with replacement FILCO keycaps. But I think I should start a new thread.

Thanks for all who replied - my knowledge is growing on this vast topic.

With best wishes,
SY

Hold on dude.. You wear a rolex and drive a merc, and yet you DIDN'T buy a korean custom?
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:16:45 »
What's a Korean custom?

I'm not at that stage in my mechanical kb knowledge to really know what I like and what I dislike. Perhaps in a few years once I appreciate features or lack thereof, I will head down the custom route. For now, I am happy with off the shelf, and for my purposes, the FILCO is really the perfect board, only the lack of Mac keys annoys me, but this issue is aesthetic really and not functional, now that I have learnt what keys are where.

Happy to hear/ learn about Korean custom boards.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:36:25 »
What's a Korean custom?

I'm not at that stage in my mechanical kb knowledge to really know what I like and what I dislike. Perhaps in a few years once I appreciate features or lack thereof, I will head down the custom route. For now, I am happy with off the shelf, and for my purposes, the FILCO is really the perfect board, only the lack of Mac keys annoys me, but this issue is aesthetic really and not functional, now that I have learnt what keys are where.

Happy to hear/ learn about Korean custom boards.
To put it simply a korean custom is a keyboard made by members of the korean keyboard community. Usually an individual or a small group. Custom, fully programmable pcbs, aluminium cases, really high quality. They're usually much rarer and more expensive than production keyboards. Here's an example of a series of Korean customs. They come as kits and need assembly but there are plenty of people who can do that for a fee.
github

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:57:18 »
The rare aspect is false, but other than that, more or leas gets the point across.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 19:15:55 »
The rare aspect is false, but other than that, more or leas gets the point across.
They aren't particularly rare anymore but they're still a hell of a lot rarer than production boards. Also, there are of course a few that are truely rare. 356CL for example.
github

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 19:17:30 »
well........ I think I might win! how about this?
http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1365736667

Show Image

I dont know how the build is.... but it cant be toooooo bad right?
I was thinking about getting one myself.
I know its not a HHKB but it might be close.

I can confirm the build quality is superb. Easily as good as the HHKB or RF or Filco.