Author Topic: What is the difference between Cherry MX Greens and Whites?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Davox

What is the difference between Cherry MX Greens and Whites?
« on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:28:44 »
Are there any differences between the Cherry MX Green and the Whites other than the sound? Does the key feel more tactile or something, cause the activation force is the same for each of them 80CN~

Offline jksteger

Re: What is the difference between Cherry MX Greens and Whites?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:36:35 »
I would like to know too.  I have heard the greens referred to as "the New BS".  I love my BS board I just wished it was a little more "muffled" if you will.  Like if the volume of a normal BS was say 10...Lower the volume to say 3 or 4. :)

J.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:49:57 »
I own a lot of buckling spring boards, and recently got a Ducky with Greens. Nothing compares to Model M buckling springs except for Model F buckling springs. The greens felt good, clicky, very snappy and brisk -- but requiring not nearly as much force as people claim, but still less than a Model M. I then got MX blues and they feel okay, but wimpy compared to greens.

Just buy a Model M, they're available.

I thought MX Whites were just MX Greens without the click. Correct?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:53:00 »
I own a lot of buckling spring boards, and recently got a Ducky with Greens. Nothing compares to Model M buckling springs except for Model F buckling springs. The greens felt good, clicky, very snappy and brisk -- but requiring not nearly as much force as people claim, but still less than a Model M. I then got MX blues and they feel okay, but wimpy compared to greens.

Just buy a Model M, they're available.

MX whites are clicky. Check my signature (Post Meetup Review) for my thoughts on them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:53:14 »

The click is a little softer. The slider material is different from Blues and Greens so that combined with the fact that Whites are lubed at the factory, is why the click is softer.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:33:16 »
MX whites are clicky. Check my signature (Post Meetup Review) for my thoughts on them.

Will do, Cap'n. (snaps off a salute)
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:37:49 »
So... a regular MX Grey is heavier than an MX Green?
More

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:42:17 »
Basically, I would say white feel more like a better brown. It is still a click type but it dosen't have the sharp jarring snap on actuation like blue and green, seems to have a bit less jittery return and of course does not make such a noisy clicking sounds. Grey have a slightly higher bottoming out force but have same 80cN actuation.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:42:30 »
Grey is linear, dark grey is tactile. Both are extremely heavy

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:49:25 »
A board I tried had a non-clicky MX White switch on every other key.

I think Logitech's epic MX Brown order destroyed QC's for Clicky switches.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:57:10 »
I love the feel of the Cherry MX Whites.  The click is much softer than the Greens but it's just as heavy (but not too heavy).  Definitely a great switch, especially if you find Blue or Greens too loud.  It's a better switch than the Clears in my opinion.

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:01:24 »
I didn't spend a lot of time with the MX White nor the NMB Space Invader but they did somewhat feel the same - or at least might be compared most similarly.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Re: What is the difference between Cherry MX Greens and Whites?
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:03:09 »
I love the feel of the Cherry MX Whites.  The click is much softer than the Greens but it's just as heavy (but not too heavy).  Definitely a great switch, especially if you find Blue or Greens too loud.  It's a better switch than the Clears in my opinion.

I agree. Whites are my new favorite switch until I mod it to ergo whites ^__^

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:12:00 »

I'll second this opinion.  I was going back and forth between the CM Trigger with Greens and another board with Whites, and find myself using the Whites almost exclusively. 

I've only tried Clears on individual switches, not as a complete keyboard, and so far I'm not impressed.  I like the tactility of the White switch, so much so that I've ordered 120 bulk switches to use for future projects.  (Wouldn't mind trying Dark Greys, from what I've read, but they seem to be pretty hard to get.)

Offline jksteger

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:59:06 »
I didn't spend a lot of time with the MX White nor the NMB Space Invader but they did somewhat feel the same - or at least might be compared most similarly.

Thanks,
I love the NMB Space Invaders!  If they are similar then I'm sure I would love the whites.

Offline Ki Bored

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 22:49:05 »
What are some examples of keyboards with the cherry mx whites?

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 22:55:28 »
I would like to know too.  I have heard the greens referred to as "the New BS".  I love my BS board I just wished it was a little more "muffled" if you will.  Like if the volume of a normal BS was say 10...Lower the volume to say 3 or 4. :)

J.

I agree about Buckling Springs.

I've been using a Cherry MX Blue board for the last year, got a IBM Model M 2 weeks ago and used it for a week, switched black to the Cherry for a week, and I'm back to Buckling Spring again.

I just type so much better on the BS than on the Cherrys - while the lower actuation on the Blues does let me type fast, I get a lot of errors due to the keys being to easy to press. It gets better once I'm used to them, but still - nothing beats the Model M for long typing sessions.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 22:57:36 »

Would love to know as well, as I am debating between clear,white, BS, and green for my next keyboard
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 22:57:54 »

I'm typing on a Pure with MX whites

Offline orlando

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 23:04:25 »
I found this very helpful when I wanted to compare these switches.

http://imgur.com/a/wuToY

Offline linziyi

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 23:17:31 »
What exactly is a"soft click"?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 23:18:52 »
Instead of having a loud pronounced click which also is very pronounced when you press down like MX Blues, the Whites have a slight click sound and a slight click in terms of feel.

I would highly recommend that you attend meets so that you can try boards and make your own decision. I wrote my thoughts on switches that I tried at the Great Lakes/Chicago and Nashville meets here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2013, 23:20:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline linziyi

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 23:45:41 »
Yeah looking forward to the NYC meeting.

I like heavy keys and the click sound, mau be I should go for BS?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline Ki Bored

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 15:05:04 »

Show Image

That is a sexy keyboard, love the purple.

Are there any full size keyboards available with whites?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 15:30:37 »

I mentioned this several time in a few different situations: ripster documents a lot of these kinds of things, and most of them are correct. However, his explanation in this link is pure rubbish, specifically these two statements:

The Cherry MX "click" is caused by the switch spring snapping the bottom half of stem upwards until it collides with the top
Cherry MX has a softer click due to longer tactile “leg”

First of all, the clicking is from the bottom portion of the stem snapping DOWNWARDS (away from the top piece) until it snaps the bottom of the switch. And the soft vs hard clicking difference between mx whites and mx blue is because of difference in material used, and possibly the pre-applied lube inside the mx whites. NOT because some longer tactile leg.

Offline orlando

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 22:12:43 »
First of all, the clicking is from the bottom portion of the stem snapping DOWNWARDS (away from the top piece) until it snaps the bottom of the switch. And the soft vs hard clicking difference between mx whites and mx blue is because of difference in material used, and possibly the pre-applied lube inside the mx whites. NOT because some longer tactile leg.
Thanks for the input ... I am still somewhat new to the breakdown of switches/keyboards so whenever I see a pre-made guide or tutorial on the subject I take it in as fact as opposed to someones hypothesis. Anyways I still hope to obtain some mx whites for the gh60 and replace the spring with 62g from a current group buy. Haven not tried this yet but I have a hunch they will be pretty awesome.

Offline mauri

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:23:44 »

Show Image

Is a video clip of you typing with it possible, can't find any proper videos of mx whites in an actual keyboard. I've already ordered whites for gh60 and I'm tad bit curious (Surely I can't be the only one :D?)
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS