Author Topic: Best MK for durability in the office?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
Best MK for durability in the office?
« on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:08:58 »
Hey guys, I have attracted some attention from the higher ups and co-workers with my bright ass ducky. They want to get a couple boards in here to try out.

I'm wondering on your opinions on durable mechanical keyboard for the office.

Mainly we need long lasting legends on boards that won't fail too quickly.

104 key.

No backlighting neccessary.

Probably going to bring in Red, Blue and Brown switch variations.

Thanks!

Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
Re: Best MK for durability in the office?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:18:27 »
Oh yeah and when price was brought up, my boss goes "So how much to these boards cost? About 150 bucks?"

Me:
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:53:59 »
Unicomp would do great keyboards if he doesn't mind the noise, plus they're cheaper.
( You could also tell him that no one would be able to play games in the office on them because they're only 2kro  :)) )
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:06:19 »
I use a Filco MJ2 104 with blues at work. It had valentine's on it at one point too ^__^

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:07:37 »
Anything with a permanently attached cable.  Constantly shifting around keyboards is murder on micro-usb ports.  Nearly killed a Rosewill at my job pushing it away from the edge of my desk and into a stack of papers.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:51:10 »
Anything with a permanently attached cable.  Constantly shifting around keyboards is murder on mini-usb ports.  Nearly killed a Rosewill at my job pushing it away from the edge of my desk and into a stack of papers.

FTFY

Offline OwnageHN

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:43:33 »
Anything with a permanently attached cable.  Constantly shifting around keyboards is murder on micro-usb ports.  Nearly killed a Rosewill at my job pushing it away from the edge of my desk and into a stack of papers.

I think this is a Rosewill specific issue due to the poor quality construction of the connection.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:52:26 »
How about a KMAC+KPAD for everyone :P

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:54:08 »
Anything with a permanently attached cable.  Constantly shifting around keyboards is murder on mini-usb ports.  Nearly killed a Rosewill at my job pushing it away from the edge of my desk and into a stack of papers.

FTFY

I'm always confusing the two.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:42:12 »
I'd just get a Filco :D.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 04:07:58 »
Oh yeah and when price was brought up, my boss goes "So how much to these boards cost? About 150 bucks?"

Me:
Show Image

LMAO.

I just have a Filco with browns at work with o-rings. Same one I have at home (but with a numpad instead of tenkeyless). I wanted to make sure that the one at work looked normal and did not attract too much attention, so they keycaps have a normal color scheme (no custom keys with happy faces lol) and the case is just simple and black.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 07:39:57 »
Anybody have any experience with these boards?

NCIX is having a good sale on them, might be good to use these ones to test switches in the office.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:12:01 »
3800 are ok, but the very low flat profile keycap could be possibly annoying. I personally hate that style keycap and find them irritating to type on, though they are priced well and damn sight better than any domes.
How many are you buying for? Some of the more sell to business oriented places you might get a volume discount to get similar price or possibly better if you will be buying at least 20 on G80-3000 models which I would recommend more. Though they don't easily come in the 3 switch types you mentioned.
G80-3000LSCEU for blue, LPCEU for black, and LQCEU for clear are most easy to get. There is no model with brown anymore that I am aware of and red is special order item usually.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:32:01 »
3800 are ok, but the very low flat profile keycap could be possibly annoying. I personally hate that style keycap and find them irritating to type on, though they are priced well and damn sight better than any domes.
How many are you buying for? Some of the more sell to business oriented places you might get a volume discount to get similar price or possibly better if you will be buying at least 20 on G80-3000 models which I would recommend more. Though they don't easily come in the 3 switch types you mentioned.
G80-3000LSCEU for blue, LPCEU for black, and LQCEU for clear are most easy to get. There is no model with brown anymore that I am aware of and red is special order item usually.

I agree with Ivan Ivanovich.  Try to get some G80-3000 keyboards from a discount B2B wholesaler.  Check Taobao maybe?  Or Alibaba.  And you should look to get Cherry keyboards with lasered keycaps, because you cited keycap wear as your most important criteria, and lasered keycaps will be more durable than pad-printed ABS.  Also make sure that your bosses understand that the very best options (i.e., a keycap that will NEVER lose its legend) would be either ABS double-shots or even better PBT dye-subbed keycaps (because they take forever to become shiny), but that both of those options are most likely cost prohibitive.  Thus lasered keyaps (either ABS or POM) would be the second best option, but will also be the most cost feasible option.  Eventually the lasered caps may lose their legends too, but you will be covered, b/c you can tell them "I told you so".  Always CYA when dealing with the boss, is my advice. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 14:19:44 »
I'd point you back to Unicomp for two reasons:

* They do dyesub, which is more durable than even a lot of lasered lettering.
* They have the proof already of durability.  It's trivial to drag out 15, 20, 25 year old Model Ms.  While MX SWITCHES are rated for 50 million uses, there seems to be a lot of issues where the boards are the weak point-- all those Coolermaster boards with bad alt keys, for example.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 14:29:17 »
Build them ErgoDoxs.

Or more seriously anything durable with doubleshot/dyesub/sideprinted caps. They may not like the expensive board losing its labels and probably won't shell out for aftermarket caps.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 16:47:42 »
In terms of durability, the switches are pretty similar, so as long as you stay away from LED backlighting, most will last a long time. As mentioned the keycap printing is the biggest longevity issue, unfortunately manufacturers love to charge a premium for decent caps. They charge an arm and a leg for a keyboard, knowing the caps will only last a fraction of the switch life they advertise.

Look into the non-backlit Ducky keyboards, they offer some with double shot ABS. The double shots will get shiny but never wear out. They can be found for about $130, however many places with them are currently sold out.

I would recomend a few things though, as mentioned before, CYA.
Before going whole hog, I would let your boss borrow one of your keyboards first and let him see if he feels it's worth it. Most feel the cost isn't really worth it, and considering how cheap you can buy normal keyboards these days, it may be hard for him to justify. Keyboards get spilled on, food dropped in them, and if the keys wear out, it's only $5 to replace. While mechanicals can be cleaned and repaired, it's not nearly as simple as just grabbing another $5 keyboard.

I would recommend against blue or buckle spring switches. I love buckled spring and they are the perfect office keyboard were it not for the noise. An office full of them could get quite noisy and some people are extremely sensitive to it. Remember, when they came out, they were phasing out typewriters, so they were actually quieter, that isn't the case anymore. Not only can it be hard to hear on the phone for everyone, many people have trouble hearing whenever there is lots of background noise. There is also what is known as noise aggression, which can make people go a bit nuts.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 22:24:15 »
In terms of durability, the switches are pretty similar, so as long as you stay away from LED backlighting, most will last a long time. As mentioned the keycap printing is the biggest longevity issue, unfortunately manufacturers love to charge a premium for decent caps. They charge an arm and a leg for a keyboard, knowing the caps will only last a fraction of the switch life they advertise.
+1

I would recommend against blue or buckle spring switches.
+999

Silence is Golden.

There is also what is known as noise aggression, which can make people go a bit nuts.
We don't want u to get killed in an office shooting because you bought noisy keyboards.  That would be sad.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 23:50:47 »
We don't want u to get killed in an office shooting because you bought noisy keyboards.  That would be sad.
It's not as rare as you think.

I'm sure a room full of clicky keyboards, ringing phones and people talking on the phones, you could create enough noise to be problematic for some. Even if they don't go into a rage and start throwing things, work performance can suffer. It doesn't need to be loud, just annoying and constant. What you find pleasant or unpleasant, another may not, I can handle finger nails on a chalk board, however a constantly ringing phone makes me want to jump in front of a train.

From Wikipedia
(Noise pollution)
"Noise pollution affects both health and behavior. Unwanted sound (noise) can damage psychological health. Noise pollution can cause annoyance and aggression, hypertension, high stress levels, tinnitus, hearing loss, sleep disturbances, and other harmful effects. Furthermore, stress and hypertension are the leading causes to health problems."

and

(From Health effects from noise)
"The most significant causes are vehicle and aircraft noise, prolonged exposure to loud music, and industrial noise. In Norway, road traffic has been demonstrated to cause almost 80% of the noise annoyances reported."
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 00:38:03 »
I keep my keyboards padded and lubed for maximal quietness.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)