Author Topic: 90's style modern PC  (Read 37100 times)

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
90's style modern PC
« on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:13:43 »
I am a bit too young to really be a 90s kid (I started using PCs when I was 3 years old in 1998), but I like 90s PC games, and I am actually quite fond of the beige, boxy style that others find hideous.  I came up with the idea of housing a modern, but cheap gaming PC in a 90's style beige case, using a beige CRT monitor, and a beige mouse and keyboard.  The first part I found was the monitor.  Some people down the street were moving and I saw two CRTs being left on the porch.  I asked if I could have one, and the lady said that I could have the older one.  It had a small crack in the front and was missing the stand.  I lugged the CRT back to my house and, to my relief, it worked perfectly.  The second part I came across was the keyboard.  My next door neighbor was getting rid of some old PC stuff and she had an old Dell QuietKey keyboard.  I know this is laughable compared a quality mechanical keyboard such as a Model M, but I have very little to spend.  I just bought the mouse on eBay, a beige, generic 2-button mouse (called a "Take me Home mouse").  The main component I need to find is a quality beige ATX case.  There is one for $40 on Newegg, but it is not worth that much, and perhaps I will find one for free or significantly less if I scrap it from an old PC.     
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: 90's style modern PC
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:29:34 »
Not really sure what you're asking, but you can check your local thrift stores and see if they have any.  Just keep in mind that not all of them are ATX and many have abysmal airflow and are loud for that little air flow.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:31:34 »
eBay has an un-ending supply of old PC's working and not in horrible beige. The hard part is finding one which is not hugely over valued by the owner as they usually are.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline ZoGxll

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:38:51 »
Good luck finding a case, I think this is a neat idea and would love to see it finished.  When it comes together you should post some pictures.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:42:46 »
Dude, you could build a badass Win '95 machine with like a Voodoo TNT or Diamond Monster and throw in some 256 ram. Better yet, just hit the thrift stores and look for an IBM Aptiva machine. You'll be playing Blakestone and Jill of the Jungle in no time!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:45:32 »
No way, turn the wayback knob one step further.  Win3.11 for lyfe.

I spent so much time watching toaster screensavers...

Offline sicaine

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:48:29 »
I realy dont think that those 90's pcs were any beautiful at all :>

But go to a scrapyard?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:51:47 »
No way, turn the wayback knob one step further.  Win3.11 for lyfe.

I spent so much time watching toaster screensavers...

The first computer I ever built either ran Windows 3.0 or 3.1, I can't remember, but oh how I loved that 90MHz IBM 486 DX2.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:52:32 »
First one I ever built was a P4... lol.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:56:04 »
First one I ever built was a P4... lol.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:59:28 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ATX-Case-with-300-Watt-PS-NEW-in-original-box-Warranty-/200876459766?pt=US_Computer_Cases&hash=item2ec52b86f6

got a psu and everything lol.  just make sure its atx, beef up the cooling and you're good to go.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:01:54 »
This topic makes me feel old...
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:10:42 »
This topic makes me feel old...

Me too. First PC I ever built myself was a 486.

It's funny you had this idea. I had a dream one night that I lived in a totalitarian society. I lived in an apartment made from a shipping container. My "computer" was actually only a dumb terminal, that connected to a kick-ass PC in a server room in a nearby shipping container. Everyone had the same type of setup. All the clever hackers built bleeding edge systems and housed them in old, beige cases, so that when the police would raid the server farm, theirs wouldn't get smashed like the modern black and silver cased PCs would.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:14:57 »

But how fast was it?

I remember having to fuss with jumpers on my 5.25" floppy, 3.5" floppy, and HDDs to get the master/slave setups right and remember how much of a pain SCSI was.  I remember how amazing it was when Zip disks and then CDs came out and how I was amazed at how much stuff I could fit on a 3.5" floppy.

Offline ZoGxll

Re: Re: 90's style modern PC
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:16:46 »
You'll be playing Blakestone and Jill of the Jungle in no time!
Whoa, Jill of the Jungle. That brings me back big time, makes me want to get Dosbox running.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:17:05 »

But how fast was it?

I remember having to fuss with jumpers on my 5.25" floppy, 3.5" floppy, and HDDs to get the master/slave setups right and remember how much of a pain SCSI was.  I remember how amazing it was when Zip disks and then CDs came out and how I was amazed at how much stuff I could fit on a 3.5" floppy.

50MHz. DX 50, no DX/2 bs!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:33:45 »
Dude, you could build a badass Win '95 machine with like a Voodoo TNT or Diamond Monster and throw in some 256 ram. Better yet, just hit the thrift stores and look for an IBM Aptiva machine. You'll be playing Blakestone and Jill of the Jungle in no time!

Actually, my plan was to build a modern PC that looks like a 90s machine.  I already have a Windows 98/DOS machine with a Rage 128 Pro and 512 of ram.  I could post pics of my older machine too, if you are interested.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 13:06:24 »
pc cases were just horrible to work with pre antec, i think the whole color and bling thing started around 2001, the gaudy era.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 13:20:11 »
AT cases were mostly rock-solid. You'd have to mod one to use it with modern ATX mobos.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 13:23:57 »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 14:05:29 »
I don't advise of cases where the PSU overlaps the motherboard.  Especially on modern builds with robust CPUs, you'll have limited cooler selection and a very good chance of overheating.

I built an Athlon 1200 into such a case, overheated unless you left the case open, because there was nowhere the heatsink could draw air from.

Also, if you get a case that uses drive rails, make sure you get the rails, because they're often impossible to find aftermarket.

An interesting case was used on some of the Gateway 2000 Pentium-era machines.  It's ATX, of relatively sensible layout, but it can be used as either a desktop or tower, by unbolting and rotating the drive cage.  It's a little shallow-- if you can find a relatively small board that only engages six of the nine ATX mounting points, it would fit nicely.  You can *ALMOST* fit a 120mm rear exhaust but should be able to easily fit a 92.  Here's a pic of a build in it from long ago.

http://forums.gideontech.com/vps/showphoto.php/photo/3643/cat/500/ppuser/4322
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 15:22:39 »

But how fast was it?

50MHz. DX 50, no DX/2 bs!

I might have you beat. 386 SX 20mhz, here. DOS 5.0/Windows 3.0. This was in...I wanna say... 1990?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.

Offline dante

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 15:27:45 »
I miss the horizontal desktop cases that the monitor sat on - NOT the vertical.

If you are thinking of doing Win95 there are apps out there that let you do a reduced install that will eliminate a lot of the crap you don't care about for additional speed.  Specifically some of the Netscape apps run a lot faster and are more stable once some of the crap is gone (heh heh.)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:15:09 »
I have a nice horizontal desktop PS2 - I think it is a 486 - that I would sell for a reasonable price, but the shipping would be devastating.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:54:50 »
Some of the old cases were nice, I have one with a stainless steel frame. Weighs a ton.

If you want an older styling, I highly recommend a Supermicro tower. You can get used ones at a decent price and while older styled, are much more modern inside. Otherwise, like others have said, you may have to make it fit ATX, or have trouble with component fit. We use MUCH larger heatsinks today than we used to and need more air flow.  Back then processor heat was sub 100watt and a video card that might push 10. Today we have processors breaking 100, and video cards pushing 200 watts on up to nearly 300. Those old cases can't cope with it without a LOT of modifications, and some may destroy the look you were after.

AOPEN and Inwin also had/has some older style towers that were/are more modern.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:57:48 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 19:04:34 »
I recently threw out about 30 old PCs - mini-towers, full towers, desktop cases, servers, mobos, printers, monitors, cables and other stuff :))

Put it all out for hard rubbish.

Nothing happened that night.  The next night all but two printer, one scanner, a few cables and the monitors had disappeared.

By the next day all that was left was one printer, the scanner and a few cables.

By the time the collection was scheduled, there was nothing left.

I kept all the old keyboards though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 23:55:08 »
The Antec SX1000/Chieftech Dragon is definitely iconic of early 2000s builds.  You can pretty easily mount a 120mm exhaust, or do an "inverted" build by removing and swapping the top and bottom panels-- drilling out rivets required.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:21:43 »
Neat idea, but to be honest, making sure everything is compatible is the biggest issue. As somebody noted earlier old cases have pretty ass airflow, either being almost completely open with vents on all possible sides, or completely closed with a crazy loud 80mm fan on the back.

Finding an old ATX case wouldn't be hard, but you might have to monkey with switches for power since some older machines had the power switch hooked right up to the PSU (not hard to make or buy a power switch, though. Power supplies seemed to be mounted in the strangest ways, like 4 screws couldn't hold it so you needed mounting rails and a huge piece of metal holding it up, and trying to get it in and out required the removal of every single panel on the computer and a pry bar.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:28:48 »
Neat idea, but to be honest, making sure everything is compatible is the biggest issue. As somebody noted earlier old cases have pretty ass airflow, either being almost completely open with vents on all possible sides, or completely closed with a crazy loud 80mm fan on the back.

Finding an old ATX case wouldn't be hard, but you might have to monkey with switches for power since some older machines had the power switch hooked right up to the PSU (not hard to make or buy a power switch, though. Power supplies seemed to be mounted in the strangest ways, like 4 screws couldn't hold it so you needed mounting rails and a huge piece of metal holding it up, and trying to get it in and out required the removal of every single panel on the computer and Gorden Freeman.
FTFY

But in all seriousness, I quite like the idea! Good Luck, Post Pictures!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:40:14 »
Power supplies seemed to be mounted in the strangest ways, like 4 screws couldn't hold it so you needed mounting rails and a huge piece of metal holding it up, and trying to get it in and out required the removal of every single panel on the computer and Gorden Freeman.

Please, he's way too busy to work on old power supplies himself.
http://www.destructoid.com/crowbar-delivered-to-cern-s-gordon-freeman-hilarity-and-a-contest-ensue-112187.phtml
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 22:09:41 »
I've entertained the idea of building a "sleeper" in the past. But I'm super OCD, the parts would need to match somewhat. I don't think I've seen beige LCD monitors around.

Is this the case you're referring to OP?

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 02:36:48 »
Edit: derp, disregard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 02:39:35 by dnix »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:28:43 »
If I really wanted something that screamed retro and cool.

I would start with a an old Mac G4 cube, while they actually sold from 2000-2001, it's immediately identifiable, readily available, and just modern enough you could use a flat screen for that retro futuristic look. Put a modern ITX board (perhaps an AMD with 7660 incorporated). You could even one up Apple and fit a more modern power brick inside along with an SSD.  As for the screen take an old Apple screen and swap the internals with a more modern one if it's too old.  With the right cooling, the whole thing could be completely silent and modern. You could also go Intel internals, a small video card and actually run OSX. There is even tutorials on how to get the touch sensor working.

My custom cube was based on this very idea, but I didn't want to pay what some people were asking for a clean Cube case at the time, only to rip it apart, so I made my own box out of aluminum and oak. 

We left beige boxes because they were boring. The Cube was small, easy on the eyes, and quiet.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:02:09 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:15:22 »

;D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:06:35 »
My first PC, cost the family $3k at the time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Leading-Edge-DC-2010-E-Phoenix-8088-MS-DOS-Complete-Computer-System-/221219063515?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3381af06db

Gogo Kings Quest I & Tetris.

Who remembers parking the heads on the MFM Hard Drive before you moved the computer?  :eek:

Offline Lanx

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:47:48 »
honest to betsy i just had a dream about my old high school computer lab. At that time our school got funding for 30 pentium 200's

except our desks were weird, it was like this

so if you looked at the classroom you had 30 students just looking down, also remember this was in the late 90's so these were huge 14in crt monsters.

man i remember that classroom, i loved it so much, me and other geeks took it over cuz our computer teacher was really far behind, i mean he was teaching us python on these things, when we could have been learning visual basic 1.0, oh he also encouraged us all to pirate, and said, wow so many copies of windows 95, does anyone need this at home? just bring back the disk tomorrow. (or was it floppies? was win95 9 disks?)

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:50:53 »
A modern PC in a vintage-looking case is actually a nice idea. I have some old Pentium I and Pentium MMX server cases with a special coating, to keep electronic radiation inside the case (all black, looks really cool). Of course there's no way an ATX board goes in there. Stuff for an interesting modding project though... my PC atm is just lying on the floor without a case, on the mainboard packaging, with an 3770K and HD7970 Crossfire (all watercooled), i can add a picture when I'm home. :D

I actually like the idea of stuffing all of that into an mini-ITX case even better. Your idea is a nice one for a modding project though, especially building all of that out of really old stuff. I got about 35 AGP cards and a lot of old boards and CPUs lying around.
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline wcass

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 21:09:04 »
the oldest thing on my shelf is a Tyan S1564D Tomcat IV fully populated with two Pentium 233 and 8 sticks of RAM.

i wanted to find a picture of it on the internets and found this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/review-socket-7-pci-motherboards,46-19.html

and this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyan-Tomcat-IVD-S1564D-Motherboard-/310384914723?pt=Motherboards&hash=item484461f123

damn! i think i need to post this on ebay. 

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 21:29:47 »
A modern PC in a vintage-looking case is actually a nice idea. I have some old Pentium I and Pentium MMX server cases with a special coating, to keep electronic radiation inside the case (all black, looks really cool). Of course there's no way an ATX board goes in there. Stuff for an interesting modding project though... my PC atm is just lying on the floor without a case, on the mainboard packaging, with an 3770K and HD7970 Crossfire (all watercooled), i can add a picture when I'm home. :D

I actually like the idea of stuffing all of that into an mini-ITX case even better. Your idea is a nice one for a modding project though, especially building all of that out of really old stuff. I got about 35 AGP cards and a lot of old boards and CPUs lying around.

Do it the other way around.  Get an old 'AT' size case, then drop an i7 ITX mobo, SSD, SATA III disk, and an SFX power supply in it.  You would have plenty of room for a Corsair H2O cooler on exhaust and a 120 in for positive pressure.

Slap a 1280 non-widescreen LCD in a monitor case, add a beige mouse and keyboard, and there you are!

You could even put a slot-load DVD burner behind a 5.25" floppy face plate.

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 21:41:27 »
^^^^^

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 04:02:56 »
Yep, nice idea, too, don't have the money for such a project atm (it's all being wasted on old keyboards).
Here are the pics of my setup if anyone is interested:
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 04:05:23 »
Yep, nice idea, too, don't have the money for such a project atm (it's all being wasted on old keyboards).
Here are the pics of my setup if anyone is interested:

The hell is up with your resolution bru? (Guessing Bru is the shortened version of Bruder)

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 04:11:20 »
It's a 1920x1080 TV, I usually just use it as a PC monitor and didn't change the gfx settings in GTA4 yet.
"Bru" :D

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:11:16 »
I actually have several in my basement. I kept the good ones and trashed the thin ones. I have a few power supplies too. I'm going to make a retro PC so I would need to see what I'm going to use. I'm in traveling distance to you too. I live in Cincinnati so no whipping. PM me your email address and I can send you some pictures. Wife has talked me into cleaning out the basement!  :'(

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:17:09 »
Wife has talked me into cleaning out the basement!

Oh, no!

I have an old PS2 (I think it's a 486) desktop (horizontal) that I would sell cheap, but shipping would be murder.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 16:29:30 »
Wife has talked me into cleaning out the basement!

Oh, no!

I have an old PS2 (I think it's a 486) desktop (horizontal) that I would sell cheap, but shipping would be murder.

Let's talk!

Can you post a photo or two?  I'd really like to slide a slot-load BD-ROM behind a full-height 5.25 floppy faceplate.

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 16:47:07 »
This thing is heavy. Shipping will be as much or more than price. I live near Atlanta.

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 18:16:34 »
Wow.  Thanks!

The details.  High-capacity 1.44 Megabyte floppy (yes folks, more than a Megabyte of storage!)  PS/2 connectors with filler panels in the larger AT-connector holes.  RS-232 serial port in both DB-9 and DB-25 sizes indicated by the square-wave emblem for a DIGITAL signal.  And a whole add-in card for the Centronics printer port.

I bet that supports all 256 VGA colors, too!  And probably has MORE THAN 640k of memory.

Shipping aside, I honestly couldn't case-mod it into a mATX power-house.  I mean I could certainly do it physically, but it would be a sacrilege.  Can't do it.

Thanks for dragging it out and taking the photos.  I hope you got some enjoyment out of it.

Very best,

- Ron I samwisekoi