Author Topic: Nonsense idioms!  (Read 8758 times)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Nonsense idioms!
« on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 04:25:18 »
This thread is dedicated to common sayings that don't make sense!
I'll start us off:
In America "falling head over heels" has a similar meaning to being "swept off your feet" or falling in love.
Apparently the original saying was "heels over head" and means you are excited that you do cartwheels.

I am curious to hear what other people from around the world say as well as other sayings in and around America!
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Nonsense idioms!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:20:23 »
A toast: Here's mud in your eye!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:37:00 »
Shoot the Sh1t
-casually talk
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:52:11 »
"This is Amurrica! Speak English!"

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Nonsense idioms!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:01:00 »
"I like the cut of your jib"
Meaning I like your style/demeanor

Origin: the front most, triangular sails on old ships were called a jib.  Each country had a different style of jib.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
Nonsense idioms!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:07:52 »
Oh this one too
"Three sheets to the wind"
Meaning very drunk

Origin: again this saying originates from sailing. The ropes at the bottom corners of sails are called "sheets" if three of them are loose it causes the sails to move freely in the wind causing the ship to sway about like a drunken sailor.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:09:16 »
A pet peeve of mine, similar to the one cited in the OP: "I could care less".  Its sense is the opposite of its literal meaning.  The "correct" version obviously is "I couldn't care less", but people often say and write the former.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:11:50 »
"Kill two birds with one stone."

Who the hell throws stones at birds. Why would you want to kill them?

And stones aren't exactly scarce so you're gaining what exactly?

[)amien

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:28:24 »
Grouse.

(Something Victorians say - I was brought up in South Australia.  I still can't get used to it meaning "good" or "great".)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:45:44 »

[)amien

This might have been back when people needed to kill birds for food or something, and perhaps there was a shortage of rocks? :P

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:51:10 »

[)amien

This might have been back when people needed to kill birds for food or something, and perhaps there was a shortage of rocks? :P
i think you'll find it is derived from the original form of the phrase 'get two birds stoned at once'
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:09:10 »
"As the actress said to the bishop." I heard this a few places and have absolutely no idea what it could possibly mean. Also "A stitch in time saves nine." I mean I get it, but that doesn't make me hate it anymore.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:54:21 »
Grouse.

(Something Victorians say - I was brought up in South Australia.  I still can't get used to it meaning "good" or "great".)

I know at least in California we say "sick" which means "cool". Other places say "ill"
"grouse" is a new one though
SmallFry! <3

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 20:19:24 »

[)amien

i think you'll find it is derived from the original form of the phrase 'get two birds stoned at once'

Real badasses kill two stones with one bird.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 23:36:47 »

[)amien

This is from back when people used to go hunting with slings and rocks. Being able to kill two birds with one stone would then be a very fortuitous, but very rare event, as only killing one of the birds would cause the other to fly away, and you'd lose the opportunity for more food. Thus it also implies efficiency.

Offline bavman

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 01:50:26 »
Not really an idiom, but something that was brought up a while ago is the phrase "over exaggerating". Exaggerating means to blow out of proportions, so over exaggerating just becomes redundant, yet is a very popular phrase

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
Nonsense idioms!
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 02:30:49 »
Not really an idiom, but something that was brought up a while ago is the phrase "over exaggerating". Exaggerating means to blow out of proportions, so over exaggerating just becomes redundant, yet is a very popular phrase
Don't even get me started on irregardless.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 03:06:57 »

[)amien

Real badasses kill two stones with one bird.

Angry Birds!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 06:12:51 »
"holy smokes!"
- traditional Irish/Italian saying, used to express alarm, excitement or wonder -- it actually refers to the signal used by the Vatican to signal the selection of a new pope. I believe they cardinals deliberate, vote, and if they have no decision then they release a white smoke. If they do select a new pope, they release black smoke, and the crowds go wild in celebration. Hence, the term, holy smokes!
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2013, 06:18:50 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:27:40 »
A pet peeve of mine, similar to the one cited in the OP: "I could care less".  Its sense is the opposite of its literal meaning.  The "correct" version obviously is "I couldn't care less", but people often say and write the former.

This!

Also - "whatever" is a perfect response to certain questions, but when used wrongfully it becomes ridiculous
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:35:14 »
whatever  :rolleyes:
Keyboardless

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:39:09 »
WHARRGARBL. I mean really, it's just a sound.
or
ASDF. That's just four keys on a keyboard right next to each other.

But isn't nonsense great?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:43:20 »
"It is what it is"

This is said all the time at work.....I mean really....do we have to keep reminding ourselves it is what it is.....it's not like it isn't what its not would be any different.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:46:24 »
"It is what it is"

This is said all the time at work.....I mean really....do we have to keep reminding ourselves it is what it is.....it's not like it isn't what its not would be any different.
Technically, if something isn't what it's not, then it actually is what it is.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Nonsense idioms!
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:56:14 »
"It is what it is"

I'll take that as it it what it is.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:00:59 »
"It is what it is"

I kind of like "it is what it is" because there are a lot of people who live in their own private worlds of denial and delusion.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:01:58 »
"It is what it is"

I'll take that as it it what it is.

"oh the insanity"
is another that comes to mind :p

"It is what it is"

I kind of like "it is what it is" because there are a lot of people who live in their own private worlds of denial and delusion.

this is true....it just gets used way too often here, some people its almost every sentence  ???

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:07:40 »
"It is what it is"

this is true....it just gets used way too often here, some people its almost every sentence  ???
Technically, if that is what their sentence is, then... well, you get the picture.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:08:14 »
I could care less about....

I hear that a lot from Americans

....so you care about it then?

where as in the Englands we say

I couldn't care less about....

the other good one is

I ain't seen nothing...

...so you saw something then
das blue, mac chicklet, old mac clear hair catcher

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:18:25 »
Lucked Out
-you got lucky (generally not the sexual type of lucky)
Sometimes it trips up younger generations in it's use.

Balls To The Wall
-to go all out, expend all energy on a task.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:22:58 »
Lucked Out
-you got lucky (generally not the sexual type of lucky)
Sometimes it trips up younger generations in it's use.

Balls To The Wall
What about if your balls go from the window to the wall, then sweat drops down them? At that point, you might luck out, and get lucky.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:54:26 »
you killed it

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 16:15:12 »
Reference:
feature=youtube_gdata_player
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 17:20:48 »

I usually just say something like "I could care less, but that would involve the expenditure of energy that I could better use on something else".

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:30:05 »
Balls To The Wall
I actually just recently heard the background of this. Here's an article about it: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/02/balls_in_the_air.html
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:30:39 »

I usually just say something like "I could care less, but that would involve the expenditure of energy that I could better use on something else".
thereby expending more energy than the addition of two letters and an apostrophe

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:57:11 »
I actually just recently heard the background of this. Here's an article about it: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/02/balls_in_the_air.html
You know, I had a feeling that it was going to be a military derived phrase. Honestly though, I always thought it had to do with you pressing the gas pedal so hard or so much that your dangly bits were against the fire wall. Not too far off actually. Haahaa, thanks for the link.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:58:05 »
I know skaters use the term "balls out"

What about "**** hits the fan"
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 20:19:51 »
Put the pedal to the metal, your balls against the wall, and see if you can still reach the steering wheel.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 20:20:08 »
Nose to the grindstone?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 20:22:31 »
I know skaters use the term "balls out"

What about "**** hits the fan"

The fan atomizes whatever hits it, and sprays it in an all-covering mess onto everything within range.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 21:53:57 »
One of my personal favorites is:  "I don't give a rat's ass."

which means of course:  "I don't care at all."

etymology?  I have no idea.  But the internets say the following:

The OED gives the first citation of the phrase from the Leon Uris novel, "Battle Cry" in 1953.  If it appeared in a novel, there is a good chance the author picked up an expression that had been around for a while before that.

Some suggest that it came from a possibly related phrase "don't give a dead rat" from the incomparable Mark Twain, "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" (1884).

Apart from a single occurrence in 1953, Google ngram sees it picking up from 1970, after sporadic use in the 60’s.   

Somebody even made a cool graph showing the popularity of the phrases "rat's ass" and "give a rat's ass":

From this graph however, comes the disturbing news that usage of my favorite idiom is now in decline.  So tomorrow, I urge you all to try to reverse that trend, and please tell somebody that really deserves to hear it, that you sincerely, and honestly, just don't give a rat's ass.

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 00:46:17 »
Oh noes! I learned "Rat's Nads", I never say "rat's ass", though I hear it often.
I don't know if I can make the switch. Hmm... maybe if I do it for SCIENCE!

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:13:17 »
I used to work with this guy who would always say "that just takes the bark right off the log" for some reason it would drive me crazy.

A personal favorite of mine is "You lie like a rug".

These are both very stupid and I am sorry for exposing you.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:14:15 »
Ich verstehe immer nur Bahnhof.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 14:03:07 »
"That would be the bee's knees"
SmallFry! <3

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 14:20:54 »
cool beans
-cool, neato

the cat's meow
- it's all the rage, fantastic, envious, the best, cool etc.

the cat's pajamas
-the best, coolest

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 14:27:02 »
"By the skin of his teeth"
lucky little son of a gun.

Offline nar

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 14:38:04 »
Hair of the Dog, drinking to cure a Hangover

Apparently come from when people thought you could cure rabies from a dog bite if you took the dog's hair and put it on the bite.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS