Author Topic: New user post limit  (Read 4394 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
New user post limit
« on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:09:05 »
Can we implement a 10 post per day limit on users who have been registered less than 30 days?

New user spam is terribad.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Re: New user post limit
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:10:48 »
'Aye'

I'm in favor

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:10:49 »
How about upping the required character limit on new users to be 60 characters which must have a minimum of 40 alphabetical characters.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:13:43 »
How about upping the required character limit on new users to be 60 characters which must have a minimum of 40 alphabetical characters.

Quote from: New User with character limit
Tree house dog car cat run duck road tree fly rabbit pig face hello door tree

Check out my site at
SomeStupidScam.com

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:13:52 »
As much as new user spam sucks, I would have to say I disagree with this. Some people actually jump into the fold and start conversing properly or have good things to say, and it's detrimental to them to have to suffer for the downfall of others. I know if I was limited to 10 posts a day when I had more to say, the possibility of not coming back the next day or the day after that would increase drastically.

We should just all step up our reporting. I know I for one don't like to report things too much because I try to stay laid back and carefree-ish. But maybe I will start reporting, especially if the person flat out admits what their goal is.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:14:57 »
What about limiting what forums new users can post in? Or have certain forums not even be visible for either so many days or so many posts...just an idea.

Of course this could make the spam worse...

And I know I post a lot but I see the spam being posters posting in 5 or 6 classified ads in a row simply posting " :D "

Also if people are just trying to get to 60 posts to sell things then why not add a time limit on top of that as has been mentioned previously, maybe then people would become part of the community instead of just trying to dump and run.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:16:47 by ray4jc »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:15:29 »

Quote from: New User with character limit
Tree house dog car cat run duck road tree fly rabbit pig face hello door tree

Check out my site at
SomeStupidScam.com

promptly banned for spamming.

The users people are sick of are those trying to get Classy access.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:15:46 »
I post here A LOT, and I only average about 10 posts per day. More than that, and you're just bragging. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:23:46 »
Only 10, jd? Even TreeSc2 can beat that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:25:34 »
Only 10, jd? Even TreeSc2 can beat that.

:D

in memoriam

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:27:29 »
I think there should be a ban of necro-reviving...were all looking at SPAM-dolin >.>
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:29:17 »
I don't think there is a rule against necro-bumping currently (correct me if I'm wrong).
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:29:47 »
As much as new user spam sucks, I would have to say I disagree with this. Some people actually jump into the fold and start conversing properly or have good things to say, and it's detrimental to them to have to suffer for the downfall of others. I know if I was limited to 10 posts a day when I had more to say, the possibility of not coming back the next day or the day after that would increase drastically.

We should just all step up our reporting. I know I for one don't like to report things too much because I try to stay laid back and carefree-ish. But maybe I will start reporting, especially if the person flat out admits what their goal is.

Hear Hear!! Some of us newbies are perfectly reasonable people who have no intention of spamming anyone. If the problem is too much spam then block the people who are spamming (if that's possible, I don't know...). I.e. treat the disease, not the symptoms!

Topre REALFORCE

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:33:13 »
I don't think there is a rule against necro-bumping currently (correct me if I'm wrong).
I think there should be a ban of necro-reviving...were all looking at SPAM-dolin >.>

Properly reviving a thread can be done, so there is no need for a ban to be placed on it. If the thread isn't locked, it's most likely still open for discussion. If you don't think it should be, then report the post that revived it, and ask for it to be closed.

(Now I'm saying things I'm mostly against. What's up with all this reporting talk, moose?)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:00:56 »
I think you can even reduce that amount to 5 for the major forums and infinite for the off-topic and other geeky stuff subforum.  Then after the 20th post maybe increase the limit to 10.
I doubt many users have such a huge amount of knowledge about mechanical keyboards when they first join the forums. And even if they have it, the other users sure can help out as well or the new user can post it the next day. I personally am a new user too, and of course I want to get active in the classifieds section but still I feel no need to spam every board I visit, instead I try to help here and there to get to the 60 posts slowly but steadily. Then I see other users, like a certain instrument, posting in every second thread that interests me and it really annoys me, then I also see that he also has a link to an offer of him on eBay (that's something I would not allow as well). Have some patience, if you want to sell stuff put it on eBay, people who search for it will see it.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:04:32 »
I think we should increase the avatar size to 184x184. :))

Kidding aside, I'm quite content with how the site is currently. Some of the new changes, such as folds and multiquoting are very nice, but I am content with how things are.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:06:16 »

Offline Sai

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 01:41:31 »
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 01:49:16 »
What do you guys mean?

****'s annoying to see a necro bump of ":D" in a FS thread

hurr durr, makes you look like an ass
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 02:03:12 »
I think we should increase the avatar size to 184x184. :))

Kidding aside, I'm quite content with how the site is currently. Some of the new changes, such as folds and multiquoting are very nice, but I am content with how things are.

I kind of feel the same. One of the things I like here are that there are almost now restrictions for newer posters.

While 10 posts is not too restrictive, what if someone joins the forum and has a lot to share. It does not seem too odd for someone to join the forum with some kind of expertise others would enjoy hearing about.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2013, 03:16:52 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 02:11:48 »
1+ to OP
Glad im not the only one to notice this... lets make it 5 or 2 posts a day...
SmallFry! <3

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 02:36:02 »
NO way.  Leave the n00bs alone.  Let them post as much as they want.  Just ban/ suspend the spammers.  Innocent until proven guilty, the n00bs should presumed to be.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.