Author Topic: Above or below  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Above or below
« on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:20:59 »
Do you guys prefer your keyboard on the desktop itself or on a tray under the desk?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Above or below
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:21:46 »
I have mine sitting in a keyboard tray in my desk. It helps with my ergonomics. If you check my Leopold FC700R review, you can see my setup.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:32:15 »
I have mine on a tray, because my desk is high, at a height for reading and writing. I wouldn't want to write at the height that I type.

Offline Larken

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:39:02 »
depends on a few factors. Chair height, distance to monitor required etc. A tray can be more flexible in those aspects.

I use my on the desk in the office with no issue - the monitor is a 19" 4:3 model, so I don't actually have to sit too far back to see everything. The height is just nice for that.

At home where I run dual screens, I need to sit much further back, and my table isn't long enough. A tray extends out from under the desk for that. But the lower height from an extended tray could play havoc with your back if it doesn't allow you to sit properly on your chair (legs 90 degrees, feet flat on floor). Ideally I'd rather had a larger table so that I can sit further behind without a tray, but that wouldn't be practical for me as of now, for other reasons.

As with everything ergonomics, the answer is, it depends.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:45:08 »
I like the keyboard on the desk with the chair as high as possible to fit my legs under the desk.

Lately, the hydraulic piston in my chair has started losing its mojo, and does not stay in the full "up" position all the time. With the seat a few inches lower, the desk surface becomes a little high. Fortunately, since I am a big guy, I can make some adjustments without too much effort.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:45:56 »
Mine is ON the desk. Can't stand to have it on a tray. Never the good height, always a border of desk on the way.

At least on the desk all I have to setup is my chair and I also have plenty (or more at least) space for the mouse next to the keyboard and both can be on the same level.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:52:05 »
I also want to have it ON the desk. For typing, as long as it is the correct height, it does not matter. However, I also play a lot of FPS and play at pretty low sensitivity, so I need the space to maneuver the mouse. Typically (but not always) keyboard trays do not provide nearly enough space for me. I also do not like to feel cramped in general, and it just feels better to me to have everything on the desk.

I would not be able to deal with a lot of people's setups, just because they so often seem to
-Hardly leave any room for the mouse
-Have the keyboard and mouse at a height that seems uncomfortable to me

That said, we all have our own habits and some things just work better with your particular anatomy.

Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:55:42 »
I prefer on the desk.  It's more solid.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:57:11 »
By all means GH'ers I am not trying to figure out what I would want to do just wondering how you guys have yours set up.  I by no means make my living on a keyboard so I don't sit at my computer near as much as some of you do.  I have mine on the tray underneath but the tray runs 95% of the full width of the desk.  Even with that about 1/3 of my mouse pad is under the right side of my keyboard.  I has been for a few years now.  And yes my keyboard is warped.  When I get my Phantom built I will be cutting my mouse pad down so the Phantom doesn't warp.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:59:01 »
I've never had a desk with a keyboard tray to compare to but I'm pretty sure I prefer it on the desk.

Offline Jack

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 09:08:24 »
Keyboard trays move around too much and I'd like the pointing device at the same height as the keyboard, so I just use one wide desk adjusted for good typing height. There's only enough room for both keyboard and mouse if I use the HHKB. :<

Offline caiges

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 09:36:26 »
The trays I've had always move around too much and like others have stated, if you can get your desk/chair placement into an ergonomic position there's little point outside of saving a little desk space.

Offline baller1308

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 09:37:46 »
My desk is pretty large so I have it on top of the desk.  I would need a higher desk in order to put it on a tray and that would be awkward.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 10:14:58 »
I use tray because of better placement. If I had to put the keyboard on the same height like monitor, my shoulders would feel tired after 5 minutes. If I put my monitor on the same level as keyboard, my neck would be in a lot of trouble(unless I put 3 encyclopedias under my monitor which makes the same height difference like the tray does).
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 10:57:30 »
I would have it in a tray under the desk, but they never make those trays big enough. I hate it when the mouse isn't next to the keyboard, and no keyboard trays ever have enough room for the mousepad/mouse.

So these days I keep the board on the desk in front of the monitors.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 11:00:02 »
My desk doesn't have a tray :(
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 11:08:14 »
My desk doesn't have a tray :(

We need a shirt that says "My Desk doesn't have a tray......and that's ok!"

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 11:09:52 »
Depends on the height of my desk. My desk at school is somewhat low so I put it on top. My desk at home is kinda high, so I use a tray
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 12:20:46 »
Tray on both of my setups—one is standing, so it's quite obvious; the other one mostly consists of a too small table... fortunately with a tray.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 12:24:29 »
On the desk, definitely. Keyboard trays have always felt cramped and awkward to me, and they take up a lot of knee room, too.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Panoptic

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 12:30:55 »
I like the keyboard on the desk with the chair as high as possible to fit my legs under the desk.

Lately, the hydraulic piston in my chair has started losing its mojo, and does not stay in the full "up" position all the time. With the seat a few inches lower, the desk surface becomes a little high. Fortunately, since I am a big guy, I can make some adjustments without too much effort.

This is pretty much exactly what I came in here to say.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:49:43 »
Tray.  Lets me sit further back from the multiple monitors.  On the desk  I'd be too close.   Even when I had a deeper desk I used a tray, lets me keep the chair at a better height.

Having an tenkeyless (SSK) helps with space on the tray for the mouse.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:15:43 »
Above

i have a plastic cover over 8 years of movie/sports games/theatre tickets...and it's starting to wear down.

might take everything off my desk, or go for a steelseries QCK+ ... still deciding on what to do

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:17:02 »
Depends, The keyboard arm of my adjustable desk is usually wherever my arms fall which changes depending on my posture or if I'm sitting/standing. ergo bro.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:47:02 »
Honestly, I've grown to like it above. Currently, my desk has a tray, but at school and at work it doesn't. I love it on top. I am going to buy a new desk with it on top.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 19:52:31 »
since i have a typing and gaming board, when i have the money/moveout/whatever i wana ergo up my desk with stuff like this, will be so much better than lifting the boards over each other, and will look much cleaner + ther ergo benefits.
filco + mouse on the desk
m15 + trackball below the desk
http://www.ergodirectusa.com/Ergonomic-Adjustable-Mouse-Tray-p/s120.htm

http://www.ergodirectusa.com/Comfort-Keyboard-Big-Board-Keyboard-Tray-p/2100.htm

http://www.ergodirectusa.com/VIA-Voss-Mid-Back-Mesh-Task-Chair-p/voss.htm
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:32:21 by RougeR »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 20:19:11 »
On the desk. I don't want to have the rest of the desk higher and I don't want to sit further away from the desk. Proper leg room is also very important so I would prefer to avoid any and all types of metal bars under the desk where I keep my legs.

By the way, my keyboard does not always stay in one position all the time.  As I shift position in front of the desk, the angle of the keyboard changes too. Having a large desk gives me room to do that.
🍉

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 10:14:21 »
I have my Pure on the desk since it doesn't take up much space which I reallly like (I usually hove some notebooks with notes and sketches and other stuff lying on it). I also have a keyboard tray and my Model M is in there. I use just for programming which I don't do that often right now. However if I would have to program for hours I could easily just put the Pure to the side and have the Model M sit on my desk (else my monitor would be a bit far back).

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 10:45:20 »
I build a double layer desk to have the input devices on a lower level without a tray...

21713-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 01:14:31 »
I build a double layer desk to have the input devices on a lower level without a tray...

(Attachment Link)

That is a really, really nice setup!

Personally I have my keyboards on the desk.  Most trays seem too flimsy to me, and move around.

At work I have an L shaped desk, and the corner of the L is where the power points and cable hole are, and hence the computer and keyboard.  There is a section of the desk that can be lowered upon which the keyboard rests.  I tend to sit close to the desk with my knees pushing up under that bit to hold it steady.  The biggest problem with this arrangement is that I keep banging my knees on the metal bracket under the desk.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:02:31 »

(Attachment Link)

That is the most beautiful setup I've seen. I'm wow'ed a lot by the green color scheme and matching, but I can see meticulous care. I appreciate the main monitor being centered in front of a symmetrical keyboard.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:07:48 »
I hate my current desk height (IKEA Expedit workstation), as it's too tall.  But not quite tall enough / too wide to include a keyboard tray, although I did consider building one.  I don't think it matters whether a desk has a keyboard tray or not--more the height of the desk vs. chair and how the monitor is set up.  I've made a little monitor stand / riser for mine (keeping my graphics drawing tablet under it).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:33:16 »

(Attachment Link)

That is an amazing setup! Personally, I have a large glass desk that's perfect height for the keyboard and mouse. I have the monitors mounted on the wall.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 22:30:31 »

(Attachment Link)

If I ever get to build my own desk I want to use this as a reference, this thing is bawler!! :eek:

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 00:30:29 »

(Attachment Link)

That is the most beautiful setup I've seen. I'm wow'ed a lot by the green color scheme and matching, but I can see meticulous care. I appreciate the main monitor being centered in front of a symmetrical keyboard.

Thanks! Took me some time to find all the toxic green stuff (even got matching coffee cups and microfiber cloths, haha)
And yes, I'm a bit fanatic about keeping my stuff tidy and neat, I also try to arrange stuff symmetrically... perhaps a mild disorder?

If I ever get to build my own desk I want to use this as a reference, this thing is bawler!! :eek:

Thanks! Probably gonna post more images soon...
If you have questions about the construction just throw me a PM

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 04:49:13 »
on my lap
am I the only one?

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 05:11:19 »
That desk is awesome Soulhunter!

(Attachment Link)

Buu!! :)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 08:43:53 »
on my lap
am I the only one?

Doesn't it fall off? My thighs are usually in a downward angle when sitting.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 09:34:11 »
on my lap
am I the only one?

I do that when working in an armchair, which is about once a month, but it's impossible to use mouse then, and even trackball isn't really comfortable.

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:57:01 »
Below... duh!  :p

The downside of it is that it is small, so I need a TKL. To some that may not ba a bad thing. I feel this deserves a pic. I'll clean up after work and post one  ;D
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline Paspie

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 14:15:10 »
When I get my keyboard I'll definitely start it out on the tray, because I need the desk for my MIDI keyboard and any other written work I may have. Also, I have hifi separates taking up my foot/legroom so I need to sit as far back/to the side as possible. Once my GCSEs are over though, I might just experiment a bit.