Author Topic: Does o rings make keys heavier to actuate?  (Read 3591 times)

Offline aquatic

Does o rings make keys heavier to actuate?
« on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 19:58:42 »
I just bought a Filco Majestouch 2 with blue switches. I love the feel of the keys, but I'm not so fond of the noise. So I read on this forum that you can use o-ring switch dampeners to quiet them down a bit. My question is: does dampeners make the keys heavier to actuate?

Also are there any online stores in europe selling them?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Does o rings make keys heavier to actuate?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 19:59:46 »
The o-rings don't add weight. They just dampen the noise slightly and shorten the travel distance.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 20:07:05 »
Like CPTBadAss said, they don't change the actuation point.  They do change the feel of the key if you bottom out.  To me, it adds a little mush to the bottom

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 20:11:06 »
O-rings won't do anything for that infernal tactile click, I don't think.  :confused:

Offline aquatic

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 20:24:58 »
Good news, thanks.

Now I just have to find someplace to buy them.

Offline rationull

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 20:35:13 »
O-rings won't do anything for that infernal tactile click, I don't think.  :confused:

They won't do anything for the click but they may significantly impact the noise of the keyboard overall. I haven't used a Filco like the OP's but I added WASD's red o-rings to my MX blue WASD V1 and the keyboard is substantially quieter. IME there are three noises:

1) The key click (depending on switch type)
2) The bottom-out clack
3) The "top-out" clack on release

The o-rings get rid of (2). My perception is that my keyboard is much quieter due to this, because (again, on my keyboard at least) (1) and (3) are quieter than (2). Noises (2) and (3) are also why Kinesis Advantage boards (with MX browns) have a reputation around my office for being loud/clacky, even through browns are technically a silent switch.

Hope this helps... FWIW I really like the feel of my keyboard with WASD's lower travel-reduction o-rings, and it still sounds good as well IMO.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 20:35:46 »
imsto

buy multiple sets to spread out the shipping

get the thinnest and softest ones, the 40L
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:08:43 »
Blues have a part that causes click, the only way to stop that is a different switch, or Jailhouse Blues. Both require de-soldering every switch.

O-rings help in two ways, the first is bottoming out, O-rings stop you from bottoming out as hard, decreasing noise and finger impact. The second is that keycaps can amplify any noise from the switch, o-rings dampen them.

And no, they do not increase the force required to activate, they actually lower it an imperceptible amount by adding weight to the keycap.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion