Author Topic: Fullsize vs TKL... (the FILCO in particular) comments sought  (Read 8113 times)

Offline ShivaYash

Evening chaps,

What do others on here think about the differences between a full size board vs the TKL option? I have the former but often, daily, my house hits the keypad, which I use only occasionally. Have others found the TKL to make a massive difference with mouse usage issues?

I'm keen to try one, and if I like it, will sell the beast for the TKL model.

Comments and opinions welcome.

With best wishes,
SY
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fullsize vs TKL... (the FILCO in particular) comments sought
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:28:03 »
I went TKL for my first mechanical and never looked back.  My wife has a Rosewill full size and I have issues with it getting in the way when I go to mouse.  It's uncomfortable.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:30:40 »
So that extra three inches makes all the difference?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:34:20 »
For me, I went from a full size to a tenkeyless and it wasn't any kind of revolutionary "how did I live without this small board" type thing.  But then I tried to go back to a full size board and I was like "how did I live with this huge board before, this stinks!".  Once you go small, I think most people don't go big again. It feels like your arm is really reaching out to the right for your mouse after getting used to a TKL... because it is.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:41:32 »
I need to have a full-size board at work. It would be a nightmare to not have the number pad. That being said, I'm considering buying a TKL and then a separate number pad to put on the left side. Because those three inches really moves your hands closer together and makes the whole experience way nicer.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:45:14 »
True, I have bought a few extra num pads.  (Filco makes one actually)  I haven't gotten in the habit of using them except for intensive number-crunching days.  I got pretty dang fast using the top number row though... maybe faster for small input than the time to move my hand over to the right anyway? 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:51:23 »
I use both - TK at work and TKL at home.

Since using the TKL more at home, I am finding that the mouse at work does keep hitting the side of the keypad.

I would go TLK again, in fact if Ducky bring out a TKL Shine Zero I would probably get one in a hear beat.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:51:57 »
I have a Filco one that I've giving away in the Team Twerk giveaway actually :P

But I do CAD modeling/engineering/Excel sheets on a daily basis and even though I think I could get used to the top row, I'd rather just have the number pad. For me, I use numbers enough to justify it. But that's only at work. I prefer TKL and 60% boards at home.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 17:07:36 »
I can never use a full size keyboard again. The mouse is closer to me now and i usually put the keyboard on top of my laptop keyboard and work from there. The only tenkeyless keyboard that has given me a problem with doing that is the Matias Tactile because the back where the USB hubs are is bigger. I think it would depend on what you use the keyboard for. It you are an accountant and use numbers a lot, then a full size keyboard would work out for you. Also, you could buy a number keypad and plug that in if you need to crunch numbers. I love the new Filco Minila and i didn't think i would.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 17:15:31 »
Well, I'm starting to think that TKL is actually the "Goldilocks" size, meaning that it's just right for keyboards.

Full-size 104 key is simply too big.

TKL is just right.

60-75% is too small (this size includes Poker, Race, GH60, and HHKB Pro 2, and the like).

The 60-75% keyboard is totally kewl, there is no doubt.  And I'm typing on an HHKB Pro 2 Type-S right now.  I also have a Poker.  I had a KBT Race but I sold it to another member.  So I know what I'm talking about. Furthermore, I really like the small size emotionally.  But, intellectually, I have to say that having the dedicated Arrows keys, and having the Navigation Cluster is better, and of course having the F-row, is definitely better. 

Conclusion?  Buy a TKL, and sell your full-size.  You will never look back.  Then maybe experiment with a 60-75% size keyboard.  But hang on to your TKL, because you will probably go back to it.

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 17:29:51 »
60% for portability.  Even a TKL can get heavy, especially plate-mounted.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 17:33:48 »
I used to use a full size Filco, currently in use by a colleague and now use a TKL at home and at work. I find I don't miss the numpad (I am a developer and have a seperate numpad at work but I find I don't actually even use that much) and it just seems to make the desk feel better laid out and the mouse nearer. I don't think it changed my life but I much prefer the layout and size. They also seem more popular and resell well, which makes trying another one out with a different switch less problematic.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 17:49:52 »
And keycap sets are slightly cheaper and easier to get for TKL.

Offline behappy

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:02:04 »
I used to use full-size until I came across TKL boards, since then they have been the only style for me. The fatigue difference from no num-pad is negligible in my opinion, although that's just me - I'm sure some people notice the fatigue a lot more.
I prefer TKL because frankly, I do not use the num-pad anywhere near enough to make it worthwhile to have on my board. Also, there is always the row of numbers running horizontally on the top of the board!  :cool:

If you need a num-pad, I would go full-size.
If you do not need a num-pad, I would go TKL.

Just my two cents, good luck!
Noppoo Choc Mini (Cherry MX Reds)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:44:55 »
I need a numberpad and use TKL.  I use a seperate mechanical numberpad.  It has 2 advantages. 
1. I can move it out of the way if I'm not using it.
2. I can reposition it however I want. (I use it on the left side of the keyboard).

Offline Saturn

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:28:23 »
I use TKL, and find it to be fantastic for gaming.  Because there's no numpad, which is totally useless for me anyway, I can have the mouse pad much further to the left than I'd be able to otherwise, and have a huge area in front of me for mousing.  I use low sensitivity in fps games and have a bigass mousepad, so being able to just swing my arm around in front of me, where the range of motion is most natural, is very nice.

Also, there's an aesthetic appeal to TKL.  A certain kind of functional elegance.  It's the reason why most people here would prefer a simple, professional looking Filco-like keyboard over a blinged out gamer keyboard with different color LEDs under every key and obnoxious branding.  Less is more.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:30:26 »
TKL 4lyfe yo. But seriously, if you really need a numpad get a standalone model. You'll likely find that you rarely use it and the extra desktop space is quite nice. Not a huge fan of 60% boards and the like, just never could get used to the lack of dedicated arrows and weird layouts.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:32:02 by noisyturtle »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:17:45 »
I recently made the switch from full size to TKL, never looking back!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 01:56:39 »
TKL all the way! It saves space and I don't have the whole right side to dust off!

I use mine for gaming ..mainly BF3.

I don't know why I thought I needed all those extra keys or hot key buttons etc.

At work (shipping) I use a full size but only for the numpad =x

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 02:59:45 »
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm waiting on my POKER II - 60%. Guess I'll report back.

I don't really need the keypad but its nice having, however annoying when the mouse hits the side of it.
I use an ergonomic mouse, the EVOLUENT vertical 3 - does its not too bad, the mouse doesn't actually need to move that much anyway.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 05:10:53 »
I don't really need the keypad but its nice having, ...

The true Geekhack spirit.

We have you now ;)

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 05:34:44 »
For me, being a casual gamer, I have no need for that numpad so I like TKL boards. The way I see it, you only need a full-sized board if you're going to be inputting numbers all the time.

That extra few inches of desk space comes at a plus for me too; not only does it give me even more room to move my mouse (I game with very low sensitivity), it just feels more ergonomic for me as well.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 05:58:32 »
Yeah..I'd only go full size if I absolutely needed to have a 10key pad...and even then, I would only do it if I was concerned about saving money...

Otherwise TKL + dedicated 10key is the way to go.....That added space to the right of your keyboard is just far too valuable...there is basically no way I could go back to full size...

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 06:40:39 »
i need a num pad at work but i really like the look and feel of TKL so i picked up a Goldtouch number pad with browns on ebay for something like 18 dollars shipped brand new.  i set it off to the side and when i need it for heavy data entry, i pull it over to the right of my  TKL and then put it back when i'm done.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:30:37 »
I need to have a full-size board at work. It would be a nightmare to not have the number pad. That being said, I'm considering buying a TKL and then a separate number pad to put on the left side. Because those three inches really moves your hands closer together and makes the whole experience way nicer.

I do similar work to what captain listed above but I never considered adding a separate number pad on the left! :o ......

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:18:11 »
At work I need the numpad. At home I do not. And if I did need it at some point, then I could just use a separate numpad instead. I prefer the dimensions of the tenkeyless, and do not want to get a full board just for those 3 times a month that I do something for which not having the numpad is a pain in the behind. Besides, tenkeyless boards imo look nicer.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:33:53 »
I don't really use the numpad that often, but if desk space wasn't an issue I'd probably go with a full size. My desk drawer is small, so to have mouse freedom of movement I need a TKL. I don't miss numpad very much, but I'd like to know it's there when I need it :P
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline pgeiger

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:54:58 »
The three inches matters a lot.  Go TKL and you'll never go back.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 18:32:35 »
There is only two times I miss the tenkeys, and that is when doing networking, and while doing taxes. During normal every day use, a TKL wins, hands down. That 3 inches doesn't sound like much, but it causes you to offset your keyboard by about 3inches for mouse clearance. It definitely makes a difference.

Personally, I like the 75% size best, but I dislike how close the Fkeys are (I tend to hit them on accident when hitting numbers) and I hate the specialized layout.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline knotra

• I ­­­♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 19:45:08 »
I've always like compact keyboards so I like Tenkeyless keyboards better. Also, you could always get and attach a keypad. Allows you to use it when you need it and take it off when you don't and also allows you to have 2 different switches :)
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 09:35:43 »

We have you now ;)

You had me from the first click of the Cherry MX brown.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 13:55:39 »

We have you now ;)

You had me from the first click of the Cherry MX brown.

but....but......browns don't click?

but yeah keyboards and related goodies are addicting :eek:

Offline AJCarrington

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 14:34:22 »
I've tried everything from a Race to a TKL to full size...always come back to the 104. I guess at the end if the day it comes down to what feels best.

Ironically, just picked up a Leo F660 and absolutely love the switches...but find the size just a little cramped...104 Topre soon to be ordered. Now to sell the Leo...

Offline BlueMica

• 1994 RX-7 R2 GT35R 500+AWHP 2004 Subaru STI GT45R
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:14:57 »
With Cherry MX Blues, I want the fullest capabilities of its properties; TK with Blues for productivity. Gaming and Media with TKL, when moving between home row and mouse is frequent.
Noppoo Choc Mini Black POM Cherry MX Red | Filco MJ1 Cherry MX Blue | Realforce 87U "EK-Edition" |1989 IBM SSK | Filco Ninja Cherry MX Brown | Filco Zero TKL

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:09:53 »
With Cherry MX Blues, I want the fullest capabilities of its properties; TK with Blues for productivity. Gaming and Media with TKL, when moving between home row and mouse is frequent.
Yes I really like having the full sized board and only rarely does the mouse hit the side of the num pad.

Thanks.