Author Topic: Spare cases and parts for Model M projects  (Read 2476 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Spare cases and parts for Model M projects
« on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 12:31:21 »
I have a variety of spare cases and parts from Model Ms laying around that I need to clear out.

Many of these were bought mostly for the purpose of harvesting keycaps. I have at least a couple each standard Ms and M-122s.

If you are undertaking a project that involves cutting or otherwise wrecking a Model M, you may want a spare case, metal back plate, barrel plate, etc to experiment on or to keep in reserve.

This is an interest check that has not yet risen to a classified ad. The shipping will probably be more than the item.

Do any of you have an interest in this?

PS - I might also consider selling the barrel plate drilled and cleaned, with bolts installed, so that you can do a bolt mod with a lot less work.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Spare cases and parts for Model M projects
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 12:38:07 »
Do you have any keyboards or M cases with the manufacture date of 8/15/1991 or 8/26/1992? I'd love to buy one!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 14:07:24 »
You wouldn't happen to have a spare SSK case would you?

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 14:10:00 »
I need an old type LED board and cable. They are found on old 131 and 1401 keyboards. Do you have a spare?

That's the connector type it needs, I could take a pic of the LED board that's in my 131 if you need a better visual later.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 14:18:50 »
Could you please post all your PCB's from a top view? I want to find another with an square crystal clock of four pins, they normally have a canned 2 pin rounded block, maybe in the early models. Haven't seen one appart from one of my kbds and one prototype.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 June 2013, 15:36:49 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 14:23:16 »
The connector is what's important on my controller PCB. I need an old type LED board and cable which have that connector so they can attach to my controller PCB.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 14:28:20 »
If you have any keys left with strange symbols, words or whatever on it, I'm interested :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 15:52:38 »
Do you have any keyboards or M cases with the manufacture date of 8/15/1991 or 8/26/1992? I'd love to buy one!

I have 3 beige Model M-122 cases dated:

07-16-91
10DEC91
13-FEB-95 (Lexmark)

and 2 beige standard cases dated:

08-22-91
13-FEB-96 (Greenock with "Bad" written in marker on the label)

and a "faux-camo" (perfect working order and bolt-modded) that my son and I painted dated:

10-11-91

plus an M2 that will not boot and is missing the numpad "0" key dated:

19NOV92

I am expecting 2 more M-122s in the mail in the next few days:

04-30-90
29-NOV-94 (Lexmark)

Don't get excited about controllers. The reason that these are on the junk pile in the first place is because they were DOA, and the controller is just about the only thing to go bad.

The M-122s are probably all OK, electronics and all, I pretty much only bought them to harvest key caps. Most of them are little used and would provide a mountain of clean fresh springs.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 June 2013, 16:11:51 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 18:09:33 »

I have 3 beige Model M-122 cases dated:

07-16-91
10DEC91
13-FEB-95 (Lexmark)

and 2 beige standard cases dated:

08-22-91
13-FEB-96 (Greenock with "Bad" written in marker on the label)

and a "faux-camo" (perfect working order and bolt-modded) that my son and I painted dated:

10-11-91

plus an M2 that will not boot and is missing the numpad "0" key dated:

19NOV92

I am expecting 2 more M-122s in the mail in the next few days:

04-30-90
29-NOV-94 (Lexmark)

Don't get excited about controllers. The reason that these are on the junk pile in the first place is because they were DOA, and the controller is just about the only thing to go bad.

The M-122s are probably all OK, electronics and all, I pretty much only bought them to harvest key caps. Most of them are little used and would provide a mountain of clean fresh springs.

Dang, thanks for looking!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 18:15:13 »
With 9 dates listed, there is a 1:40 chance that I will hit somebody's birthday.

Whether they want ancient IBM hardware is another question .....
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 20:23:40 »

I know, but sometimes you just gotta change a couple capacitors and you're done if there's no corrosion. Sometimes you get lucky.

Sorry, didn't read through you go only >'91
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:40:12 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:09:17 »

I know, but sometimes you just gotta change a couple capacitors and you're done if there's no corrosion. Sometimes you get lucky.

You see that there is nothing listed earlier than 1991

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:25:12 »
Nothing earlier than '90 means I am likely out of luck on the LED board... :'(
R.I.P.ster