Author Topic: Where do the keycaps go?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline frew

• blog
Where do the keycaps go?
« on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 01:10:32 »
Sorry for such a stupid title, I'm not sure how else to put it.

I got in on the second Ergodox massdrop and spent all day today soldering (and resoldering when I remembered that the direction of diodes matters :/) and whatnot and got my keyboard all put together with (surprisingly to me) only one faulty key, which was easy enough to fix.  After I got it all together I poured out my keys which I got in the ErgoDox PBT DSA Keycaps Massdrop and fairly quickly realized that there are more shapes than I know what to do with and that caps on cherry MX's are really hard to pry off with your bare hands. 

Anyway, there are a lot of shapes here and I don't know what goes where.  If someone has a good sized diagram from Signature Plastics for which keys go where that would be very helpful.  Thanks!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Where do the keycaps go?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 01:13:18 »
DSA is a uniform profile
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 01:13:48 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 01:14:14 »
Edit: Sorry., not Ergo Dox.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline frew

• blog
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 14:24:41 »
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear; I was hoping someone could say that the shortest keys would go at the top or something.  To be clear, here are a few of the different key types I got: http://imgur.com/iB2H4x9  I'm not really sure which goes where

Offline frew

• blog
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 15:33:53 »
I think I got them all aligned.  If anyone is interested here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/NNRRo9z,9SOenA2#0