Author Topic: KMAC Keycaps  (Read 3224 times)

Offline kmacwannabe

KMAC Keycaps
« on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 14:51:20 »
New member here, been lurking for awhile without membership and I think it's time for me to ask the question.

Which keycaps should I get?

I am currently typing on a Razer BWU, (I know, shame, shame, but I'm only 14!) and want to make the enormous step up to a KMAC. I know how to solder, part of my job is teaching kids how to do it, and I just need to know what keycaps will give me the best experience on the KMAC when it arrives from originative. If it helps, I have been considering either GMK doubleshots or Imsto's thick PBT, but I don't know where to buy Imsto's caps. Any other suggestions are welcome. Also, I am planning on using blue switches, but with a spring mod and lube with stickers too. I can't decide what exactly I want, but I hit some of the switches on the Razer accidentally. Maybe 62g springs?

kmacwannabe

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: KMAC Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 14:53:55 »
Some good places to buy imsto caps are, directly from imsto, http://aikb.taobao.com/, you find what you want and pm him he send you a paypal invoice!

or you can look at feng's ebay page, he sells them also http://stores.ebay.com/Somefeng-Geeky

and the classifieds or group buys

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43328.0

also not sure where you are from (country wise) that might make a difference!
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 14:56:32 by ray4jc »

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 14:54:20 »
There is a group buy going on now for imsto thick keycaps!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 15:05:38 »
What layout is your KMAC? 87 keys or 86, 84?

You should go with the Imsto PBT keyset option if only you get the 87 keys version. The GMK doubleshot sets are fine and look quite good, but I prefer the PBT caps to the ABS caps.

If you get the 84 or 86 keys version, especially the 86 keys, you should get the incoming BSP PBT keyset which has the 1x windows keycaps. The GMK sets is also fine, but the same reason as above, and don't include the 1x keys for bottom row yet ^_^ Also the BSP sets will come in Cherry A profile for the bottom row, which I personally like it a lot more than the B profile of those GMK sets. Don't go with the Imsto PBT set because it does't have the bottom row 1.5x keys for your keyboard.
You can get the BSP set soon @ originative I think.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 15:07:10 by jil_jil32 »

Offline kmacwannabe

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 15:08:15 »
It's winkeyless. I guess that means 84? It's the standard KMAC 2 from Originative. I'd like having the winkeys if I ever switch back to Windows.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 15:10:09 »
It's winkeyless. I guess that means 84? It's the standard KMAC 2 from Originative. I'd like having the winkeys if I ever switch back to Windows.

Yes, then it would be 84(winkeyless) or 86 key(winkey) with 1.5x control and alt modifiers

Also, the BSP PBT keys can be found here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43104.0
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 15:18:09 by UniClown »

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 15:16:31 »

If that's the case, then you can choose whether to go with the 84 or 86 keys version because the KMAC2 is like that. You will have 2 removeable 1x sized blocks to replace the Window keys positions in case you use it as 84 keys keyboard.
Then you should wait for the BSP keysets, or get the GMK sets if you can't wait anymore ^_^

Or BOTH, more keycaps the better!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 15:49:55 »
"best" keycaps are largely dependent on case type and switch choice. I made my KMAC with cherry MX greens, and went with thick imsto PBT (in Dvorak) which is an excellent combination that works well. The green cherry switches in my KMAC are preferable to the ones in my CMstorm QFR.

one thing to consider is that any of the top tier keycaps (thick doubleshots, thick dyesubs, etc.) will likely be a good match, but not necessarily what will be the best for you. Some people prefer thin SP keycaps on cherry blues, for example.

That said, I would recommend thick dyesub PBT.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 15:52:03 »
I would recommend GMK abs if you don't mind the shine that they will develop over time.

I had thick PBTs but I sold them. I now have got my hands on Cherry doubleshots and they're beautfiul.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 16:26:13 »
Obviously strip the caps from the BWU and use them on the KMAC.

Offline Sai

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:21:50 »
Obviously strip the caps from the BWU and use them on the KMAC.

no need to care for bottom row.  :p
BWU already provides that
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:36:00 »
not the spacebar!

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 03:12:54 »
not the spacebar!
Small spacebar is fashion these days?
Who needs stabilizers anway :P
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline kmacwannabe

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:58:05 »
Thanks for all the input! Unfortunately, the caps on my BlackWidow Ultimate have been unsatisfactory to me. My friend has a QFR with blues and Imsto PBTs. I like the way they feel. Is the green switch basically a blue with a green stem and an 80g spring?

Edit: Are these imsto's? They say KBC. I just don't like that blue color scheme... http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KBC-Black-Blank-PBT-Cherry-MX-Key-Caps-105-keys-included-/330754501939?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d02812d33

I think I will get these blank PBT ones if they are the good kind and then GMK doubleshots as my labeled keycaps. With some novelty keycaps here and there, of course!
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 15:32:11 by kmacwannabe »

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:19:29 »
The one you linked aren't winkeyless though so you'll have to figure out the entire bottom row