Author Topic: KBT RACE (White Cherry MX)  (Read 3698 times)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
KBT RACE (White Cherry MX)
« on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:19:48 »
Anyone use one of these?  I love my greens, and have been interested in a smaller kb for a while, so the Race/MX Milks seems like something I'd like.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline dante

Re: KBT RACE (White Cherry MX)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:05:54 »
Becareful and test every switch.  I recently tried a KBT Pure w/ MX Whites and half the board didn't click.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:18:41 »
Hrm, not good.  I was considering a Poker II also but I don't like the switch choices as much.  I could always replace the switches, but seems like it wouldn't be worth the extra expense if there are quality issues to begin with.  Any idea if the Poker II's are better quality?  Thanks.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:23:00 »
Well I have heard the MX White switches have a less pronounced "click" than the Green or Blues, which, if I remember correctly, has something to do with the fact that they are lubed from the factory.

Granted, some of the Green switches on my Storm Trigger lack a click, but it doesn't bother me that much because it's keys that I don't use all that often, like the "8 key".

Also, if you order it from mechanicalkeyboards.com and aren't happy with the way the switches work, I'm sure they'll gladly exchange it for your or offer you a refund.

I myself was eying up the Race w/ Whites pretty bad, but wasn't crazy about the fact that they switches aren't plate mounted, so I went with a Pure Pro instead.
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:41:49 »
I have that. It's nice. I actually replaced the springs with ones from MX black switches because I wanted to try something that had a click but was between green and blue weight. It's PCB mounted, to very easy to do!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:44:15 »
I have that. It's nice. I actually replaced the springs with ones from MX black switches because I wanted to try something that had a click but was between green and blue weight. It's PCB mounted, to very easy to do!

Did the click become more pronounced for you with lighter springs?  Or still quieter than Blues?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:46:08 »
Well I have heard the MX White switches have a less pronounced "click" than the Green or Blues, which, if I remember correctly, has something to do with the fact that they are lubed from the factory.

Granted, some of the Green switches on my Storm Trigger lack a click, but it doesn't bother me that much because it's keys that I don't use all that often, like the "8 key".

Also, if you order it from mechanicalkeyboards.com and aren't happy with the way the switches work, I'm sure they'll gladly exchange it for your or offer you a refund.

I myself was eying up the Race w/ Whites pretty bad, but wasn't crazy about the fact that they switches aren't plate mounted, so I went with a Pure Pro instead.

I think I prefer the 75% layout to the 60%.  I like the Keycool 84-key layout too, but it's PCB mounted also.  Are there any plate mounted 75% boards you'd recommend?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:47:54 »
Not sure, but maybe Filco Minila?  It's plate-mounted and, well, a Filco :)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:52:35 »
It has arrow keys, but still too small I think.  And the spacebar is TINY.  And the 1.0 backspace?  Not for me I don't think.

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:57:34 »

I think I prefer the 75% layout to the 60%.  I like the Keycool 84-key layout too, but it's PCB mounted also.  Are there any plate mounted 75% boards you'd recommend?

According to mechanicalkeyboards.com the Keycool 84-key is plate mounted, also evidenced by this picture http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1428107/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

It has arrow keys, but still too small I think.  And the spacebar is TINY.  And the 1.0 backspace?  Not for me I don't think.

Yeah that spacebar is unacceptibru... lol

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:59:45 by Jack Karneval »
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:59:54 »

Did the click become more pronounced for you with lighter springs?  Or still quieter than Blues?

Photo, I talk about this in the review I wrote on springs if you wanted to read my thoughts on it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:02:12 »
I've read your report (a while ago)--thank you.  I just like to collect as much information as possible, and some things are subjective.  Another member here told me that Whites with lighter springs remain quieter, so I'm just trying to make sense of this contradiction.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:03:03 »
No worries. Just offering my own take on it :D

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:13:46 »
According to mechanicalkeyboards.com the Keycool 84-key is plate mounted, also evidenced by this picture http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1428107/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Hrm.  Maybe MK's site is wrong?  For the red switches it says PCB:  https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=412

But it says plate for the browns.  Weird.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:15:34 »

Hrm.  Maybe MK's site is wrong?  For the red switches it says PCB:  https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=412

But it says plate for the browns.  Weird.

MK.com has some issues with getting plate-mounted and PCB-mounted tags correctly in keyboard descriptions.  This is not uncommon.  I would not go by what the tags say and search elsewhere for information on individual boards you're interested in.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:16:07 »

From what I understand, they can be inconsistent, but that's to be expected since the sliders are lubed.  It's difficult to get each switch exactly the same.  Some are louder, some are quieter, some have more of that Mexican jumping bean action, some have less.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:57:58 »
Becareful and test every switch.  I recently tried a KBT Pure w/ MX Whites and half the board didn't click.

Same thing happened to me on my Pure with whites. Luckily MK exchanged it out and I'm not typing on my favorite switch ever. (having owned browns, and blue filcos)

I hate everything.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 00:28:01 »
The pad printing will be gone in no time, you can practically whip it off with with a finger nail is a swipe or two.
Expect to open the calculator a lot, as it's quite easy to activate the FN key and backspace, which is a shortcut for the calculator.
If the base is painted it will chip quite easy.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:33:24 »
The pad printing will be gone in no time, you can practically whip it off with with a finger nail is a swipe or two.
Expect to open the calculator a lot, as it's quite easy to activate the FN key and backspace, which is a shortcut for the calculator.
If the base is painted it will chip quite easy.

Thanks Leslieann.  And thanks again for your advice about the backlit RaceLE in the thread I started a few months ago.  I think I'm going to hold out for a plate mounted 75% layout with greens, milks, or dark greys.  I could obviously mod one myself, but I don't have the time right now and I don't NEED a smaller kb right this second.  The Keycool 84-key looks like a layout I'd like, but they're only making the four basic switches, and MK is out of stock in reds and browns.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 13:32:45 »

Still quieter. I don't think it's the spring weight that makes the click lighter, since I think greens have the same or similar spring as whites.