Author Topic: Anyone been to their local hackerspace?  (Read 3548 times)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Anyone been to their local hackerspace?
« on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:03:04 »
Just heard about a hackerspace in my town that meets every Monday so I'm going to go check it out tomorrow, hopefully I can get some help building some boards! Anyone had any experiences?
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Anyone been to their local hackerspace?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:09:22 »
CommunistWitchDr was trying to get a St. Louis meet that would be at the St. Louis hackerspace called the Arch Reactor. Unfortunately, where I live, the closest one is 2 hours away and in order to work there, I'd need to take safety classes and show up a set amount of times a month. With my job being what it is, I can't commit to that so I haven't checked it out....yet.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 11:18:56 »
Stockholm Makerspace is pretty new. Inner city location. It is interesting, but so far I have found it to be more convenient to make stuff at home. A cheap 3D-printer (RepRap I think..), laser cutter, soldering equipment and oscilloscopes seem to be up already, sewing machines, CNC lathe, CNC mill are coming, and possibly also a 3D-printer that can print steel.
🍉

Offline UniClown

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 11:25:09 »
I found one within an hour from where I live. Are these esentially hobbyist handouts with collection of tools that can be shared and used for free by whoever wants?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 11:35:42 »
It's pretty much a shop that you can use. You may have to pay dues and/or get trained.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 11:40:19 »
nubs and i will be hitting up socal hackerspaces probably starting in august; he's already done some of the legwork but hasn't found anything really compelling. socal peeps are welcome to join us in our search. long term, i'd like to form a geekhack socal hackerspace (i have a line on some people who'd be interested in sharing shop space).

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 15:38:17 »
Like mkawa said, I haven't been really impressed with the hackerspaces near me so far.  I went to 23b and they have a 3D printer and hot air station and a drill press and metal lathe, but not much else worthwhile.  They also has what appeared to be some sort of mechanical engraver.  Coupled with the fact that one of the keyholders thought it was appropriate to work with a metal lathe while drinking a 22oz bottle of ~11% ABV beer, I doubt I'll be back in the near future.

I also checked out Factory Enova which is more of a membership based place and only a pseudo hackerspace, but they're not really impressive yet.  All they have is a pretty mediocre 3D extrusion printer and three laser cutters that could only cut cardboard, paper, wood, or acrylic and supposedly could engrave metal.  They people who worked there didn't know how to set up the machines for the different materials though.  I don't really have high hopes for the place.

There's a third one in Irvine I want to check out that has PCB prototyping, laser cutters and engravers, and I believe a CNC machine.  It's pricey and membership based, but it might be worth it when I find work and have a bunch of project ideas lined up.

Offline __red__

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 20:31:15 »
I'm the founder of my local hackerspace so yes, I've been :-)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 20:57:21 »
While not local, I've been to Arch Reactor in St. Louis, it's why I recommended hosting the meet there. It's a nice place with some great people and quite a bit of equipment. I don't know exactly what or how much, but they seem quite well equipped.

Most places require payment for regular use, however they often have open nights where new people can come. The level of payment and trust dictates who has a key to the facility. Often this is handled through sponsors and voting.

Keep in mind, hackers paces aren't only about what they have in terms of equipment, it's also about the people. A place with minimal equipment, but brilliant people can still be a fantastic place to go. All the equipment in the world is useless without the talent to use it.

There is actually quite a lot of hackerspaces, check hackerspaced.org for locations and details. There is probably more around you than you think if you live near a decent size city.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 22:05:36 »
Keep in mind, hackers paces aren't only about what they have in terms of equipment, it's also about the people. A place with minimal equipment, but brilliant people can still be a fantastic place to go. All the equipment in the world is useless without the talent to use it.

This is what I'm mainly going for. I can figure out anything when it comes to computers but when it comes to building things I'm absolutely useless, hoping to get some help designing and CNC'ing my keyboard cases in return for me helping some people with programming or PC related rubbish.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 06:59:11 »
I'm the founder of my local hackerspace so yes, I've been :-)
i will note, red, that you still need to send me my acrylic lambda :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 07:20:19 »
Stockholm Makerspace is pretty new. Inner city location. It is interesting, but so far I have found it to be more convenient to make stuff at home. A cheap 3D-printer (RepRap I think..), laser cutter, soldering equipment and oscilloscopes seem to be up already, sewing machines, CNC lathe, CNC mill are coming, and possibly also a 3D-printer that can print steel.

Out of curiosity, what new 3D printer are you getting?

I have keept track of the hackerspace lists to see if any had opened up in the Gothenburg area and there still aren't any officially listed around here. The Stockholm site does however mention there being some in Gothenburg so I will have to search around a bit further.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 08:29:05 »
Stockholm Makerspace ...
Out of curiosity, what new 3D printer are you getting?
The makerspace has a Wiki page in Swedish about it. There are lots of problems to solve before it can be operational: it needs to be moved from western Sweden to Stockholm, for one thing.
🍉

Offline loadstar81

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:54:05 »
I'm moving to Chicago very shortly and having access to a hackerspace is one of the most exciting parts of the move for me. I realize they are not standardized in any way, but was wondering if you guys had any tips on unwritten rules or guidelines so as not to seem like a scrub when I show up.
LOAD "*",8,1  | kbtpure | cm qftk

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 11:12:08 »
I started to do stuff with Arch Reactor a while ago, but my schedule has been craptastic. I was forced to switch to night classes for my degree (old job said drop out of school or work elsewhere. I went to night classes, they then made up an excuse not too long afterwards to fire me. Having night classes made it easier to find a new job), so I've not been able to go back. I'm finishing up at the end of the month, so I hope I can start going again.

Offline pushcx

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 22:15:28 »
I'm moving to Chicago very shortly and having access to a hackerspace is one of the most exciting parts of the move for me. I realize they are not standardized in any way, but was wondering if you guys had any tips on unwritten rules or guidelines so as not to seem like a scrub when I show up.

You're probably thinking of visiting Pumping Station One - there's also a free "Maker Lab" at the central library branch: http://www.chipublib.org/eventsprog/programs/innovation_lab.php
WTB a set of black-on-black, white-on-white, or gold side-printed cherry mx keycaps for the ErgoDox I'm building, please PM

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 10:07:43 »
I went to a local (actually two towns over) hacker space as a guest. They gave me the tour and tried to get me to join.  Honestly I wasn't impressed.  There wasn't much in the way of tools.  There also wasn't much expertise in the members.  Mostly they sat around and played with networking and video games.

Really it just wasn't big enough.  I figure that the big-city hackerspaces would be more useful

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 10:09:20 »
I'm going to this one sometime in the next week just to check it out. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 10:10:54 »
The one in my town is also software oriented, and has recently restarted in a new facility so there are currently no tools, and there used to be only a few. The one in the other end of Sweden does however have a quite fancy 3D printer amongst other things.