Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2828355 times)

Offline wjrii

Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #7450 on: Fri, 24 May 2024, 18:42:19 »
IBM 1392595, Model M "Display Station" terminal keyboard, just a 1998 one from the Scotland factory, with a non-destructive internal Soarer Converter and a few replacement keytops. Go Gators.

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #7451 on: Fri, 24 May 2024, 23:27:25 »
IBM 1392595, Model M "Display Station" terminal keyboard, just a 1998 one from the Scotland factory, with a non-destructive internal Soarer Converter and a few replacement keytops. Go Gators.

Show Image

Wow did not know about those model m numpad legends those are pretty cool. Gotta find myself a model m (but they are really overpriced in aus on like ebay cause there are not as common) cause I tried one at a meetup and it was really nice.

Offline wjrii

« Reply #7452 on: Sat, 25 May 2024, 09:17:38 »

Wow did not know about those model m numpad legends those are pretty cool. Gotta find myself a model m (but they are really overpriced in aus on like ebay cause there are not as common) cause I tried one at a meetup and it was really nice.

Might be worth looking into a re-shipper, either formal or somebody you know in the states.  That terminal one required some cleanup and a converter, and obviously a few keytops were missing, but I got it shipped inside the US for under USD35.  I also got a PS/2 GE Medical keyboard, a very clean Unicomp from 2014, for less than USD45 shipped.  A lot of that value goes out the window for you, sadly, but slow USPS shipping might still be reasonably economical.

Pristine mainline Model M's are pretty pricy everywhere, though, with Unicomp setting the floor.

« Last Edit: Sat, 25 May 2024, 09:21:02 by wjrii »

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #7453 on: Sat, 25 May 2024, 13:57:05 »

Might be worth looking into a re-shipper, either formal or somebody you know in the states.  That terminal one required some cleanup and a converter, and obviously a few keytops were missing, but I got it shipped inside the US for under USD35.  I also got a PS/2 GE Medical keyboard, a very clean Unicomp from 2014, for less than USD45 shipped.  A lot of that value goes out the window for you, sadly, but slow USPS shipping might still be reasonably economical.

Pristine mainline Model M's are pretty pricy everywhere, though, with Unicomp setting the floor.

Yeah I probably will soon, it's just that I wanted to find one in aus because of quicker shipping times but it seems buying from the us might be the play.

I could also proxy a unicomp buckling spring board, I was looking at this split backspace one a while ago but shipping made me nope out but I might as well convert a AT model f and it would look a lot nicer.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/40PSA

Offline scootbroer

• Qazimodo Instagram
« Reply #7454 on: Mon, 10 June 2024, 09:37:48 »
I've been using this Vault 35 HHKB with Banana Milk Tactiles as one of my main boards for about a year now.

308371-0

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #7455 on: Mon, 10 June 2024, 14:45:52 »
308373-0
308375-1
Finally built my Matrix 8XV3.0 & man is it a nice board! I decided against using the weird alum skeleton plate it came with & got a full PP plate for it from Hype Keyboards. Which ended up pairing super nicely with the Gateron Deeppings I used, it definitely surpassed my expectations which were fairly high given the price of the board. The whole build is as follows, solder PCB, aftermarket full PP plate, hand lubed Gateron Deeppings, TX AP screw in stabs lubed with 205g0, plate gasket mounted, topped off with JTK Griseann.

Offline ohm-ish

« Reply #7456 on: Thu, 13 June 2024, 18:32:21 »

For now I'm using a Varmilo VEM88 V2 with EC Rose switches.
So far it's the best keyboard I've had.
Very basic, but very good for me. I enjoy using it.
I'm using it just as it was from the store, but I'm looking at getting some custom keycaps. Not many to find for nordic ISO layout..
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2024, 18:48:29 by ohm-ish »

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #7457 on: Thu, 13 June 2024, 21:54:40 »
I've been using this Vault 35 HHKB with Banana Milk Tactiles as one of my main boards for about a year now.

Very cute board.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Finally built my Matrix 8XV3.0 & man is it a nice board! I decided against using the weird alum skeleton plate it came with & got a full PP plate for it from Hype Keyboards. Which ended up pairing super nicely with the Gateron Deeppings I used, it definitely surpassed my expectations which were fairly high given the price of the board. The whole build is as follows, solder PCB, aftermarket full PP plate, hand lubed Gateron Deeppings, TX AP screw in stabs lubed with 205g0, plate gasket mounted, topped off with JTK Griseann.

Oooh this is very cool. Those skeleton plates suck pretty hard so yeah right decision to go for an aftermarket plate. I really like "the mainline" tkls because to me, they strike a good balance between being standard keyboards and being "matrix keyboards" in that over the top sense like that alice that was ridiculous lol. Still prefer the 1.2/og but can't go wrong with this.

Show Image

I'm using it just as it was from the store, but I'm looking at getting some custom keycaps. Not many to find for nordic ISO layout..

Everyone has a starting point, glad to see you are enjoying it.

Might be out of your budget but there are gmk sets that have that support in stock right now from oblotzky and they are pretty cool. GMK is the gold standard for custom caps so you will get good quality stuff.

https://oblotzky.industries/products/gmk-cyl-norde

Offline Flybeck

« Reply #7458 on: Thu, 13 June 2024, 23:18:47 »
Khora Prototype (65 top mount) - gmk, pp plate, mx2a purples

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #7459 on: Sat, 15 June 2024, 09:22:36 »
1391406. Rotated out the M13 to put in the "strip and clean" pile with the Model F AT, AT102W. Cherry G80 is likely up next. It's not as loud as a buckling spring, give the other half's ears a break.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project's :- 122 key 1389620 Wireless ESP32 :
'Pooter :- Xeon E5-2680v4 : Machinist MR9A : 2x16GB DDR4 : Radeon RX6600 : NVME & Spinning rust :

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #7460 on: Sat, 15 June 2024, 10:07:55 »

Very cute board.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Oooh this is very cool. Those skeleton plates suck pretty hard so yeah right decision to go for an aftermarket plate. I really like "the mainline" tkls because to me, they strike a good balance between being standard keyboards and being "matrix keyboards" in that over the top sense like that alice that was ridiculous lol. Still prefer the 1.2/og but can't go wrong with this.

Show Image

Everyone has a starting point, glad to see you are enjoying it.

Might be out of your budget but there are gmk sets that have that support in stock right now from oblotzky and they are pretty cool. GMK is the gold standard for custom caps so you will get good quality stuff.

https://oblotzky.industries/products/gmk-cyl-norde

Yep, I took one look at that monstrosity of a plate & was like "nope, nope, nope...". Also the PP plate really surprised me as to how much I like the feel & sound with it! I do agree with your take on Matrix's mainline TKLs. I've always prefered their more clean & subtle look vs Matrix's usual loud & in your face designs so the 3.0 was a no brainer to finally add a Matrix board to my collection. Don't get me wrong I do think a lot of Matrix's wild designs are very cool, but most of them are just too busy for my tastes.