Author Topic: Clack "Value"  (Read 5688 times)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
Clack "Value"
« on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 15:50:29 »
So, it's obvious that some clacks are more valuable than others, ie, Salute is clearly more valuable than 3D, but is there a way of determining this? Tricolor > Specialty (Oktoberfest / Julysicle) > Regular Skulls > Blanks? Pretty much, I'm just trying to figure out what's rock bottom. I personally like the blanks, and have a Depth Black myself, and if the value is equal or more in the blanks, would definitely consider a trade. Any info would be appreciated.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Clack "Value"
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 15:51:27 »
It's a little out of date since I haven't updated it in a while but I've been keeping track of Clack prices on the second hand market here.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 15:52:39 »
From what I've seen normally the more colors the more value.....

And obviously some have smaller numbers in the wild than others.

Rock bottom I would think would be the 'F2' second's that clickclack deems not first rate quality.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 16:13:04 »
CPTBadAss has put in a lot of research and effort into that clack page, and barely anyone even knows about it.

F2 Clacks are without a doubt, not the bottom...Blank single colors are much lower...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:06:37 »
Some colours are rarer and people will pay more for them.

For example have you ever seen a translucent clack even for sale?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:16:22 »
To normal people they're worth about $0.02 each.

Offline bigx333

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:18:09 »
Some colours are rarer and people will pay more for them.

For example have you ever seen a translucent clack even for sale?

Dangwang sale had 2... $200 and $150.

Unfortunately I wasn't brave enough to spend that much for plastic (kinda regreat  :)))
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:28:09 »

LOL! The only one I've seen that I'd really like to have is the tricolor white skull with red eyes on a blue cap. Not sure what that one's called, but if I like it I figure it would probably sell for a grand here.

Edit: thanks to CPTBadass' badass clack thread,  I see my (only) favorite is called Salute. That one is gorgeous.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:30:57 by Techno Trousers »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:29:31 »

LOL! The only one I've seen that I'd really like to have is the tricolor white skull with red eyes on a blue cap. Not sure what that one's called, but if I like it I figure it would probably sell for a grand here.

It's called the "Salute" and you shouldn't have a hard time finding one if you are offering a grand :)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:32:21 »
Maybe I should start a WTB thread... Gotta work on winning the lottery first, though. :))

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:34:18 »
I've been looking for a clack :(
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:41:49 »
I've been looking for a clack :(

Have patience - you will find one eventually.

If you don't want to pay the inflated secondhand prices, Click Clack has the occasional sale - often he has one around July :)

I was here for nearly a year before I got my first one (in a CC sale), and my second is on its way now (classifieds, right place, right time).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 17:44:27 »
The rarity depends on the colors and patterns. Some solid colors are actually harder to find than tri colors. There are some rarer kinds too; like translucent, topre fn row blanks, bloodsplat etc. CC actually showed that he's made modifier keys too. If you pay close enough attention to the media/sale/OT threads you'll get a good sense of what colors are produced largely, what were limited, and if you get lucky you'll see some of the special ones too.

Happy hunting =]

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 20:23:46 »
The rarity depends on the colors and patterns. Some solid colors are actually harder to find than tri colors. There are some rarer kinds too; like translucent, topre fn row blanks, bloodsplat etc. CC actually showed that he's made modifier keys too. If you pay close enough attention to the media/sale/OT threads you'll get a good sense of what colors are produced largely, what were limited, and if you get lucky you'll see some of the special ones too.

Happy hunting =]
Just  because something is rare doesn't make it valuable ;P

What's driving the demand for rare colors is the "You can have any shape you want, as long as it's a skull" philosophy which makes people think that they want skull keycaps, since it's all people talk about and show off.  Wait until there's a lot more choice in terms of novelty key shape and the prices will crash because the "best" is no longer the skull in terms of novelty shape.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 20:29:35 by PointyFox »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 22:15:04 »
It's all about how cool you are apparently. Only the cool people can enter the circle of reasonable prices. Yeah, get in that circle, ohhh yeah right there's perfect. Hnnngg

Not 'expensive' CC's: 3D, F2's, Hack Orange skull(except BS,) Mint Gum skull, Octopink skull(although the 'circle' has made the price rise a little recently,) Oktoberfest can be had fairly 'cheap', blanks vary in price but can be found 'cheap'

lulz worthy: Tricolors, transparents, some of the 420 leaf caps, colors from before r00twyrm

Really many don't have anything to do with rarity. It's just that people tend to horde them privatly and trade in the shadows, so when someone who takes pictures gets a hold of one and posts people are like OMGDATCALCKJIZZINMYPANTS even if the actual color is ugly as sin.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 22:20:56 by noisyturtle »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 22:17:27 »
From what I've seen normally the more colors the more value.....

And obviously some have smaller numbers in the wild than others.

Rock bottom I would think would be the 'F2' second's that clickclack deems not first rate quality.

Heck no! I love both of the F2's I have
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 22:23:39 »
F2 yellows and greys are also hard to get from what I've seen

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 22:25:50 »

I'd love a F2 yellow!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 22:38:55 »

I'd love a F2 yellow!

Me too!!

Offline llovro

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 03:09:03 »
Rarest ones:
Splatter and camo clacks, transparent clacks, wingnuts (good luck finding one of those), Red darth vader (if you can convince Ripster to sell it to you), 66hz clack, metallic clacks (as far as I know silver one with red eyes is the rarest), and all tri color skulls (GH,  canada, skeletor...), 420, darth vader... Expect paying alot for there ones.
The most common ones:
hack orange, 3d, hardcore white, mint green...
Something between:
all other single color skulls, F2's, octoberfest, julysicle, candy corn...
This is all I know

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 04:32:59 »
Rarest ones:
Splatter and camo clacks, transparent clacks, wingnuts (good luck finding one of those), Red darth vader (if you can convince Ripster to sell it to you), 66hz clack, metallic clacks (as far as I know silver one with red eyes is the rarest), and all tri color skulls (GH,  canada, skeletor...), 420, darth vader... Expect paying alot for there ones.
The most common ones:
Something between:
This is all I know

A gold wingnut was sold by 7bit on deskthority a few days back. No idea how much it went for.. I'd hate to think :S
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline llovro

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 05:04:05 »
Rarest ones:
The most common ones:
Something between:
This is all I know

A gold wingnut was sold by 7bit on deskthority a few days back. No idea how much it went for.. I'd hate to think :S
Yeah, I saw that thread. I think it was sold for 200€ (260$), which is not that bad considering that it's the only one ever made.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 05:49:11 »

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 06:58:51 »
Rarest ones:
The most common ones:
Something between:
This is all I know

Yeah, I saw that thread. I think it was sold for 200€ (260$), which is not that bad considering that it's the only one ever made.

Are you sure? I thought it was more a joke of 7bit to put it up for sale.

Offline llovro

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 07:25:33 »
Rarest ones:
The most common ones:
Something between:
This is all I know

Are you sure? I thought it was more a joke of 7bit to put it up for sale.
Idk. It tought it's the real deal

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 08:39:57 »
See, I love the blanks! That ClickClack workmanship into something so simple. If anyone has any to sell, I'd be interested. And I LOVED the one-of-a-kind "42" clack that existed, but then Ripster went and cut it open for keyboard science.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites