Author Topic: Poker X modification advice  (Read 2133 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
Poker X modification advice
« on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 22:20:27 »
So I am in the shopping phase for modifying my Poker X. I am planning to buy the radioshack desoldering iron with bulb (since I can just walk into a radioshack and pick it up), a Weller WLC100, Kester 44 63/37 .031, MX Clears with 62g springs modded by GON, and an aluminum plate from GON. This would total roughly about 207.95.

Two questions I have for you all:

1. Is this worth the money to do these mods, or should I just stick to trying to win a Kinesis Advantage for either $80.00 or even possibly $25.00-$30.00 on eBay...or even buy a custom Unicomp model M that would cost roughly over $100.00?

2. How easy is this to mess up as I have never did any soldering in my life?

Feel free to chime in with any other advice.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 July 2013, 22:22:48 by TimIsABat »
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Poker X modification advice
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 22:55:21 »
Have you read through the soldering thread? Lots of good info in there.

And as far as if it's worth it, that's really something to ask yourself.

Do you like the layout? Does the poker meet your needs?

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 23:07:19 »
Have you read through the soldering thread? Lots of good info in there.

And as far as if it's worth it, that's really something to ask yourself.

Do you like the layout? Does the poker meet your needs?

I love this keyboard. The layout was troublesome at first, but learning Colemak helped me get adjusted to the keys. I wanted to get a Unicomp as a family present for my home PC that everyone can use.  I suffer from RSI on my left wrist with this board though it might be because of how its positioned on this broken desk which is why Kinesis intrigues me.

I like the mx reds alot on this board, but after trying clears and panda clears on the UST tour, I think I would enjoy that a lot more. I really like the lightness of this switch but heavier actually seemed a bit better for me. The board (I am pretty sure) didn't use 62g springs for the ergoclears which I didn't like, so I am hoping these springs are a good middle ground between the red lightness and the black heaviness.

The soldering thread is where I decided which soldering iron and desoldering iron to get and which solder to get. I am just wondering as to what to do so I won't waste $200+ by destroying my board.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 23:20:01 »
have you watched this?

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 23:39:39 »
Yea I have. Found it very helpful. Will most likely watch it again a few times before I begin.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 23:56:14 »
one thing that I have learned using the radioshack desoldering iron is to make sure it is hot.
let it set for quite a while to allow it to heat up.
do not try to force it into the solder joint.
if it is hot enough it will melt the joint on it's own.
if you force it you will damage the tip of the iron.

also... do you have a old computer shop close to you with a bunch of old crap for sale?
this is where I bought a few old alps keyboards to practice desoldering/soldering on recently.
you can normally barter with them because they want the crap out of there store anyways.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 23:57:18 »
It sounds like you're unsure what springs to use. Just letting you know that GON's plate won't allow you to swap out switches or springs once it's built. I would tryout ergo clears with different spring weights to make sure it's absolutely the one you want before you invest this much into an ergo-clear Poker.

Not trying to steal from GON's sale, but I have a poker plate for a third of the price, and most importantly allow for removable switches so you can experiment with switches and springs all you want. Install this plate with your current switches, then swap out to ergo clears later if you decide to swap. This will save you ~$140 for the time being.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:52:34 »
It sounds like you're unsure what springs to use. Just letting you know that GON's plate won't allow you to swap out switches or springs once it's built. I would tryout ergo clears with different spring weights to make sure it's absolutely the one you want before you invest this much into an ergo-clear Poker.

Not trying to steal from GON's sale, but I have a poker plate for a third of the price, and most importantly allow for removable switches so you can experiment with switches and springs all you want. Install this plate with your current switches, then swap out to ergo clears later if you decide to swap. This will save you ~$140 for the time being.

PMed you about that plate! Saving money is essential for me ATM! The main reason I am going to solder out the switches is because my "W" and "U" are acting funky on my poker, and GON offers fully tuned switches which means that he lubes and stickers them as well.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 20:35:54 »
Lubing and stickering isn't that hard to do. How much is GON selling these switches for?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 20:40:09 »
So I am in the shopping phase for modifying my Poker X. I am planning to buy the radioshack desoldering iron with bulb (since I can just walk into a radioshack and pick it up), a Weller WLC100, Kester 44 63/37 .031, MX Clears with 62g springs modded by GON, and an aluminum plate from GON. This would total roughly about 207.95.

Two questions I have for you all:

1. Is this worth the money to do these mods, or should I just stick to trying to win a Kinesis Advantage for either $80.00 or even possibly $25.00-$30.00 on eBay...or even buy a custom Unicomp model M that would cost roughly over $100.00?

2. How easy is this to mess up as I have never did any soldering in my life?

Feel free to chime in with any other advice.

you will find anything and everything hands on on WFD channel, he is a guy that offer services, but a really cool and patient guy when you see how detailed in his DIY vids are, props to him.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8WqdwRVjibpzHqvg_69gzw
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?