Author Topic: Things (average) People Say About Your Keyboard(s)  (Read 31220 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Things (average) People Say About Your Keyboard(s)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 23:26:00 »
Usually when people see my 'Dox they say "what... the.... ****???!?!"

The Topre boards don't warrant a second glance though. Until I say "hands off, that's a $300 keyboard there". Then see above.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:28:38 »
"Why are there no letters on your keys?"

Offline iri

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 04:08:01 »
noone has ever asked me about why my unicomp has blank keys, but everyone likes differently coloured keycaps.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Poom

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 04:32:36 »
"it feels like any other keyboards..... my macbook pro feels so much better"

"(at work): your keyboard doesnt have letters on them, i can ask the IT manager to get you a new one (dell whatever).

"(also at work): eww.. your keyboard feels weird.. mine is very smooth (rubber dome), why dont you use a "normal" one?"

"(at a house party): you like keyboards?, good! I know what to get you on your birthday! me: No dont!)

"(girlfriend): what is up with keyboards, one is enough, There is a handbag I want... i need a dark color bag. me: but you already have a closet full of handbags...)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 04:41:53 »
What does that Orange Skull do?

What does that smiley face key do?

What do those keys that say "GeekHack" do?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline iri

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 04:49:28 »
which keyboard was it?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 04:54:52 »
"Why would you spend $200 on a keyboard if it isn't even wireless?"

Yes, yes, yes. Get this a lot with a lot of stuff, including audio gear.

More like: "Why would you spend $200 on a[n] [insert item] if it isn't even wireless?"

Wifi is great and all, but seriously...

I miss having a Wireless keyboard :(

Offline Poom

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 05:12:42 »
which keyboard was it?

KBTalking Pro, the bluetooth one, with Clear stems and 62g korean springs and lubed. also i painted the case to bright yellow.

Offline iri

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 06:22:43 »
which keyboard was it?

KBTalking Pro, the bluetooth one, with Clear stems and 62g korean springs and lubed. also i painted the case to bright yellow.
so the macbook pro keyboard feels better than lubed ergo clears? what a bullsh!t.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 06:32:33 »
"(at a house party): you like keyboards?, good! I know what to get you on your birthday! me: No you dont!)
Corrected

Offline Poom

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 07:03:09 »
which keyboard was it?

so the macbook pro keyboard feels better than lubed ergo clears? what a bullsh!t.

I dont remember how I felt when i typed on a mech-keybaord for the first time, i guess i wasnt appreciating it as much as i do now I guess....  i kind of understand when average people said its not a smooth as rubber dome.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 07:06:13 »
which keyboard was it?

People will say anything to defend the products of The Bitten One.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 07:08:01 »
"Why would you spend $200 on a keyboard if it isn't even wireless?"

Yes, yes, yes. Get this a lot with a lot of stuff, including audio gear.

More like: "Why would you spend $200 on a[n] [insert item] if it isn't even wireless?"

Wifi is great and all, but seriously...

I miss having a Wireless keyboard :(

I don't.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:23:37 »
My OH yesterday when I tried to get him to use the ergo-Clear Filco again:

"I like my old wireless [5-year-old-crappy] Logitech... this one's not even wireless."
--"but you don't move the keyboard around that much on your desk"
"sometimes I move it a bit.  Plus it looks nicer to not have the cord"
--"but this one has a cool looking braided cord"
"and it feels weird to not have a numpad!  I'm used to hitting the right-most Enter key.  Now I have to move my right hand off the mouse to hit Enter."
"shouldn't I be able to tell right away if I like it over my rubber dome keyboards? Why do I need to try it for a while?"
at that point I was facepalming...  He probably felt obligated to use it for the rest of the night, so we'll see =/
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:27:01 »

I generally agree, although my wife is a professional editor who types thousands of words a day at blinding speed, and considers her new (whatever that is, today, never more than 24 months old) paper-thin Apple keyboard to be the best thing available anywhere.

She hates my big old clunky keyboards.

Although I have my reasons to like what I like, I must admit that she types more, and faster, than I do, all day long.

Her opinion cannot be discounted, and a strong case could be made that her preferences are more valid than mine.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:29:13 »
"and it feels weird to not have a numpad!  I'm used to hitting the right-most Enter key."

This.

Even if I gave up the numpad, losing the Enter key in the bottom right corner of the keyboard would be awful.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Poom

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:31:15 »
I actually type the fastest on lenovo/IBM thinkpad keyboards, certainly the best notebook keyboards out there.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:33:36 »

I generally agree, although my wife is a professional editor who types thousands of words a day at blinding speed, and considers her new (whatever that is, today, never more than 24 months old) paper-thin Apple keyboard to be the best thing available anywhere.

She hates my big old clunky keyboards.

Although I have my reasons to like what I like, I must admit that she types more, and faster, than I do, all day long.

Her opinion cannot be discounted, and a strong case could be made that her preferences are more valid than mine.

Given your preference for tougher buckling springs keyboards, maybe she hasn't had a chance to try some of the softer switches?  Perhaps she'd end up liking more "floaty" switches, such as Browns and Blues for fast typing.

Offline SidusNare

• Do, or do not; there is no try.
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:34:38 »
also, at work: "We can tell when you are working"
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:36:41 »

"and it feels weird to not have a numpad!  I'm used to hitting the right-most Enter key.  Now I have to move my right hand off the mouse to hit Enter."

But... but your hands should never be on the mouse by default, only for programs, with no alternatives, that do not have full keyboard support.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:40:32 »

But... but your hands should never be on the mouse by default, only for programs, with no alternatives, that do not have full keyboard support.

Doing CAD work all day my right hand is in constant movement between the mouse and keyboard...:eek:

But I do like full size boards, the few times I've been trying smaller boards I've gotten comments about having a 'miniature keyboard' :P

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:43:38 »
I don't even notice moving my right hand, as I never really used the numpad anyway, which is why I switched to TKLs entirely.  I never enter numbers in a spreadsheet fashion, they're usually mixed with letters for coding.  I don't think my OH uses the numpad much either... but apparently that Enter key is a big deal!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:45:12 »
I don't even notice moving my right hand, as I never really used the numpad anyway, which is why I switched to TKLs entirely.  I never enter numbers in a spreadsheet fashion, they're usually mixed with letters for coding.  I don't think my OH uses the numpad much either... but apparently that Enter key is a big deal!
Just wire a extra switch call it the "GH 1"
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:50:06 »
But your hands should never be on the mouse by default, only for programs, with no alternatives, that do not have full keyboard support.

I keep mice on both sides, and go to whichever one is most convenient.

When I am doing numbers on the numpad, I am using the left mouse.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 10:20:31 »
Just brought the 87U in for the first time. Definitely the only TKL in the office. Waiting to hear what people have to say about this one haha.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SidusNare

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 11:09:15 »
also, when I am using my leopold on my laptop, say at a coffee shop or wherever has the wifis: "sucks that your laptop keyboard broke" and then I either nod and shrug or spend 20 minutes explaining that its not broken, this leopold keyboard is better, not all keyboards are the same, and if they dont just smile nod and walk away I either sound like an ass telling them to go Google it or I have to explain what a mechanical key switch is, what a rubber dome is.

To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 03:39:38 »
For few weeks I heard:
"Dude, I know when you are in the office without looking! The keyboard is so loud!"

or

"It looks like my Amiga/Commodore/Atari!"

and

"Can't you buy new and silent keyboard?" to which I reply "It is new, but created in '96" ;)

Now there are two of us in IT mashing ALPS all day long (friend got a keyboard with white ALPS and russian fonts) :) everyone got used to that finally, apart from occassional jokes here and there :P

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 03:57:11 »
"Dude, that narcoleptic porcupine put nanobots in my shaving cream sauce soup. Baggins!"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 08:19:49 »
Perhaps she'd end up liking more "floaty" switches, such as Browns and Blues for fast typing.

I doubt it. I think that "float" is what she does not like. The Apple keys are dead flat and the throw is extremely short.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter, so each stroke is a "thrust and stab" for me.

For her, it is gliding over the top and making tiny little dips downward.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline velvetdon25

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 08:31:56 »
"It costed what?!"

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 11:25:40 »
i had a funny moment the other day with a guy in my class.  we ended up talking about keyboards and i told him about geekhack and his response was "there's more people like you??"

i felt like this

| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 11:29:07 »
"What does the skull key do?" I hate these types of questions.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 11:38:52 »
NOOOO! Don't touch it or you'll die! Avert your eyes while I perform some magic to fix it... *coats the key in dimethylmercury* Ok! Now you can try it.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 11:49:53 »
Re Poker:
"Why is it so small?"
"But how do you enter numbers?"
"Why are there no letters on the keys?"
"It costs that much? You know, for that price you could get the superior Logitech XYZ!"

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 11:56:08 »
Nothing really. My girlfriend tells me it's loud.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:02:14 »
Re. Poker

"But it doesn't have all the right buttons"

Buttons!? Come on now!
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:04:47 »
CALCULATORS HAVE BUTTONS. THESE ARE KEYS! EACH PRESS OPENS NEW DOORS.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline phx

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:06:33 »
most recent.

went to a computer lab for a class, brought my own keyboard:
"o nice keyboard"

a few weeks later, went to another class, taught by the same person:
"hey you are that guy with the crazy keyboards!"

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:42:59 »
which keyboard was it?

i absolutely prefer scissor switch boards (even apple, though im not a big fan of the flat keys) to lubed ergo clears. those  feel really mushy to me.

'it automatically removes all reasonable decisionmaking ability between me and my wallet' :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:45:27 »
i absolutely prefer scissor switch boards (even apple, though im not a big fan of the flat keys) to lubed ergo clears. those  feel really mushy to me.

Wouldn't that be a function of which springs were used?  "ergo-Clears" is a pretty wide range of springs: 55g, 60g, 62g, 65g.  They all feel different.  (I know because I tested all of those)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:45:53 »

'it automatically removes all reasonable decisionmaking ability between me and my wallet' :P

Does your name stand for Slap the Ham
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:15:42 »
How do you type on it if all the keys are different colors? -my friends

That is how I type on it. I have a color system on my QFR. By color system, I mean I put a bunch of keys from a crap bag on it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Poom

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:18:23 »

Wouldn't that be a function of which springs were used?  "ergo-Clears" is a pretty wide range of springs: 55g, 60g, 62g, 65g.  They all feel different.  (I know because I tested all of those)

yeah, I thought Ergo-clears only refers to clear stems + stock brown or red or blue springs, I actually dont like the feel of the ergo clears, but absolutely love the clear stem with 62g springs.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:38:54 »
That's actually called Ergo Clear. Most people use 62g or 65g springs in their Ergo Clears, basically everything that's lighter than a Panda Clear you could call Ergo Clear.

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 14:04:33 »
When I took my unicorn vomit MX Mini in to work:

Quote from: Co-worker(while pointing at novelty keys)
What does this one do?
>>Home
And this one?
>>Page up

This exchange went on for about ten minutes :P

Quote from: Random woman passing by
That looks like the doings of a troubled mind!

ROFL :))

Quote from: Co-worker
I could make a piece of plastic with a skull on it if I was going to get that much!

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:02:06 »
About my Model M:

Doesn't that thing have a handle on the side you have to crank before you can use it?....

When I saw (average) on your title, I just thought 'normals'.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:19:56 »

"Why are there no letters on your keys?"

Both of these are spot on

Offline Neal

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:56:03 »
"How can you type on such a small keyboard?"
About 60%^

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 16:02:12 »
My buddy loves my keyboards.  He is borrowing my Filco when my new keycaps come in.  He enjoys mashing random keys.

Offline SidusNare

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 16:02:52 »
when replacing worn pad printed caps for second hand cherry doubleshot caps: "What (cleaner) did you use to make your keys so much brighter?"