Author Topic: New car purchase (Mazda 3 or Civic LX)  (Read 13053 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Re: New car purchase (Mazda 3 or Civic LX)
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:33:03 »
I know what its called, but there's no need to. Especially in a small car. Give yourself enough distance to brake properly.

That is proper braking.  I also down shift in my automatic rather than ride the brakes down a hill. 

I cut a hole in my floor so I can just stick my foot out to the road and brake. That way I have to use neither the engine nor the braking system! And it reduces vehicle weight as well.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline russm

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:59:18 »
Purchased a new 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 and I currently have 105K miles on it with just regular maintinance. It is six speed, "can get 32 MPG" and when you want it stops , turns and goes great!!And if you like that kinda stuff it will also go 155 MPH and stop on a dime! Just be sure you find a good Mazda Service center, I have run into several that should be ashamed to call them selves a repair shop!

Offline Malphas

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:20:47 »
Off-Topic: I can't believe the amount of people in America that learn to drive in an automatic (Next to nobody does in the UK), if you can't drive a manual then sorry but you can't drive :p
if you can change gears with your left hand you must be some sort of a ninja

Hmm odd, I find changing gears with the left hand much more natural, leaving the right hand free to do the more important job of steering. Also for that kind of car I would go with a Golf or a Focus over those choices by a large margin.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:22:21 »
mazda 3 or 6

fantastic cars. i prefer the 6 since it's still made in japan

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:28:38 »
Why do you downshift? You're just putting extra strain on your engine and transmission. Put it in neutral and brake. Brakes are easily replaceable.

Nah son, it's only bad if you're doing it incorrectly. Otherwise it saves wear and tear, saves fuel, and you have a lot more control over the vehicle than riding the brakes. I always feel slightly out of control driving an auto, especially downhill or on twisty roads where you would normally downshift to blast around corners in a manual. Autos are fine for stop and go city traffic or long straight roads and highways though, so 90% of US roads.