Author Topic: .  (Read 3051 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:09:26 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:53:00 by esoomenona »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: PLZHALP! How do I do things on my own!?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:11:58 »
How do I MY?

pls halp!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:13:03 »
University of Errors
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:13:13 »
I don't even know how I'm starting this thread on my own... But I'm hoping you could help me. Is there some sort of method to doing things or trying to find information on my own instead of taking the easy route out and always asking?

I just don't know what to do. I mean, I have questions, but it's not like I can search or something, right? Is it possible for me to read through the subforums and use context in regards to my questions to see if there is information somewhere already?

I'm just so lost...

Look some of us don't read so good and if there isn't pictures then I get lost easy.

Perhaps some dedicated beginners area with stickied guides or something and relevant sub-forums for asking about the same things over and over might help.

But I think the mods are already overworked and underpaid but I'd volunteer to help.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:14:06 »
How do I search? h31p pl0x!
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:14:12 »
Error Brain.exe has given up

Also the search function is horrendous.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:15:57 »

But I thought they fixed it?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:19:11 »

Depends what you are searching for trying finding "the last of us review"
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:20:28 »

TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:21:26 »
> Goes to Google
> site:geekhack.org <your search here>

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:22:52 »

I just searched for that and it was #4 result

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:23:32 »
> Goes to Google
> site:geekhack.org <your search here>

if you want to be really #baller you can add that to the firefox search box as an option also

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:24:56 »
If you make the bar for entry too high, it will drive away people who may be looking for a community of interests.  I try to keep in mind that I didn't know anything about mechanical keyboards when I joined, and hated it when I posted a question that got zero responses.  Conversely, there have been numerous people here who have patiently answered my most bone-headed queries, subtly steering me to the right answer, even if it wasn't the question I was asking.  Helping others is my way of paying it forward.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:34:35 »

I just searched for that and it was #4 result

On the other hand using   |"the last of us" review|  (all the characters between |'s) lands it as the only result.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:37:49 »
If you make the bar for entry too high, it will drive away people who may be looking for a community of interests.  I try to keep in mind that I didn't know anything about mechanical keyboards when I joined, and hated it when I posted a question that got zero responses.  Conversely, there have been numerous people here who have patiently answered my most bone-headed queries, subtly steering me to the right answer, even if it wasn't the question I was asking.  Helping others is my way of paying it forward.

It would be nice though to try to stick some common things together and somehow funnel people there when they join just to cover the bases.

I mean I'm still a noob and ask some really dumb questions sometimes.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:40:33 »

It would be nice though to try to stick some common things together and somehow funnel people there when they join just to cover the bases.

I completely agree.  What really fries me, though, is seeing responses to newbie posts that essentially say; "There's already a thread for that."  Nothing more, no link to said thread, no suggestion for which forum to check out, nada.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:42:48 »

I completely agree.  What really fries me, though, is seeing responses to newbie posts that essentially say; "There's already a thread for that."  Nothing more, no link to said thread, no suggestion for which forum to check out, nada.

Yeah, I say that a lot but do try and post a link. A lot of times I know I've read that exact same thing and just can't find the thread however :(

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:21:57 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:54:04 by esoomenona »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:30:21 »
@Spam & @alaricrjs

Does't work for me :( [google is too hard] I think Geekhack just plain doesnt like me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:44:08 »
This charade that moose has been talking about with the MY switches? It just proves that the hype works and there are people who don't put forth any effort, don't search, don't do research, and don't want to formulate their own opinions. Instead of figuring things out for themselves, they just see these posts and after ten posts saying that MYs are amazing, are convinced that they truly are good without doing any further knowledge hunting.

There have been plenty of new people who have put forth effort to further their own knowledge and help the community. Quardah with his vendor list and Domoaligato with his professional services list are prime examples. I've seen amazing things like the Catboard and the Adjustable Column Custom Game Pad and the AcidFire Grand Piano. They are new and yet they managed to make their own keyboard without just mindlessly spamming. I'm sure other new people can just do a quick Google search at the very least.

TL:DR?

Make some moves. Do some research. If you like a switch just because you friends like a switch, cut the ****. You learn what a switch is about before you back that switch. (Shamelessly borrowed from Vincent's speech in the song listed below)

More

#Hypefree

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:47:11 »
wrong thread....I have an actual reply for here but got my tabs mixed up....

ner mind it won't work on this forum....move along  ::)
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:55:57 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:01:46 »
This charade that moose has been talking about with the MY switches? It just proves that the hype works and there are people who don't put forth any effort, don't search, don't do research, and don't want to formulate their own opinions. Instead of figuring things out for themselves, they just see these posts and after ten posts saying that MYs are amazing, are convinced that they truly are good without doing any further knowledge hunting.

There have been plenty of new people who have put forth effort to further their own knowledge and help the community. Quardah with his vendor list and Domoaligato with his professional services list are prime examples. I've seen amazing things like the Catboard and the Adjustable Column Custom Game Pad and the AcidFire Grand Piano. They are new and yet they managed to make their own keyboard without just mindlessly spamming. I'm sure other new people can just do a quick Google search at the very least.

Yeah, this is me not agreeing with you here.  Not everyone has the skills or drive to start actively participating in the forum immediately, and if they get burned out by some practical joke like the MY switch meme, may never bother to come back.  Are they somehow less welcome than those who "put forth effort?"

If that's the case, then I'd just as soon lurk on DT.  Sure, it's less free-form, and fairly Euro-centric, but when you ask a question, someone helps out.  Even if it's just a link to the DT wiki. 

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:07:28 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:55:12 by esoomenona »