Author Topic: .  (Read 33665 times)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Re: State of the Clark Union
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 20:18:46 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

I don't think people buy CCs in order to profit. The bubble is not caused by speculation. I think XD
Idk.  I have my own theory but I'll keep it to myself.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 20:38:47 »
There is more going on then on the surface. There's some truth in conspiracies, and being buds with the club makes attaining clacks smooth as ice.

Occupy GH for the truth 99%ers and don't forget your tinfoil hats

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:11:49 »
Ok...

I've always had a hard time trying to understand this clickclack stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I see it.

There is a person called "click clack" who makes skull and other keycaps, probably spending less than $2 on the plastics to make them

He sells them for ~$100 dollars.

Tons of people buy them.

Then they rave about how clickclack is an amazing person for "gifting" such well crafted, amazing pieces of art to such simple, unworthy people such as us.

Am I missing something?

I'm with tp4 on this one.
Click Clack makes the caps and sells them for between 14-30 each typically.  The clacks are hoarded and then profiteering happens.

Honestly I think there is more to the whole thing but whatever.

Oh! That makes much more sense. That's only a ~1200% markup!

What?  Even if that's true, that's only factoring in the cost of materials to make a cap.  What about the time to make the cap?

And most importantly: what about the time and materials to design this whole thing?  As far as I know, you don't just wake up and decide to spend 2 bucks to make a cap.  There has to be preparation and experimentation to find a design that works.  Plus capital (equipment) to create the caps.  Even if that isn't what's going through his head as he does this (repaying his investments, that is), it still can't be ignored and frankly it's not worth criticizing him over.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:24:03 »
Ok...

There is a person called "click clack" who makes skull and other keycaps, probably spending less than $2 on the plastics to make them

Tons of people buy them.

Then they rave about how clickclack is an amazing person for "gifting" such well crafted, amazing pieces of art to such simple, unworthy people such as us.

Am I missing something?

Click Clack makes the caps and sells them for between 14-30 each typically.  The clacks are hoarded and then profiteering happens.

What?  Even if that's true, that's only factoring in the cost of materials to make a cap.  What about the time to make the cap?

And most importantly: what about the time and materials to design this whole thing?  As far as I know, you don't just wake up and decide to spend 2 bucks to make a cap.  There has to be preparation and experimentation to find a design that works.  Plus capital (equipment) to create the caps.  Even if that isn't what's going through his head as he does this (repaying his investments, that is), it still can't be ignored and frankly it's not worth criticizing him over.

No, I think the 1200% comment is to the secondhand markup.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:24:59 »

I am going to invoice you $1.50 for the time taken to read that post. <3
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:26:50 »

I'm going to invoice you $1.50 because I'm thirsty and want a large soda.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:28:19 »

Polar pops are only like $.75

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:32:15 »

Maybe I'm really thirsty and want a lot of drink?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:32:47 »

32oz is pretty big

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:33:17 »

That is raw cost. You also have to factor in the time he spends grabbing it.

meebcats - my bad music

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:33:53 »

32oz is pretty big

So am I.

Don't forget the gas expended going to a convenience store

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:34:42 »
If you have to drive to a convenience store, it is no longer a convenience store. Then it is just a store where everything is more expensive for no particular reason.

meebcats - my bad music

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:35:39 »
If you have to drive to a convenience store, it is no longer a convenience store. Then it is just a store where everything is more expensive for no particular reason.

Technically, it's closer to my house than the real store, therefore more convenient.

I also live in a sprawl environment.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:35:56 »
Ok...

Tons of people buy them.

Am I missing something?

Since we're in off topic and there's no derailment threat I'll respond earnestly.  :)

Thimplum's comment was after they were notified that clacks sell from clack himself for 14-30 dollars.  30 dollars sale price for $2 item would be 1400% markup (extra 28 dollars), so that's in the same ballpark as the comment made.  I figured Thimplum was referring to this markup point.  Maybe not.  :shrug:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:36:59 »
Ok...

Tons of people buy them.

Am I missing something?

Since we're in off topic and there's no derailment threat I'll respond earnestly.  :)

Thimplum's comment was after they were notified that clacks sell from clack himself for 14-30 dollars.  30 dollars sale price for $2 item would be 1400% markup (extra 28 dollars), so that's in the same ballpark as the comment made.  I figured Thimplum was referring to this markup point.  Maybe not.  :shrug:

I see what you mean, I just figured he meant the actual insanity of secondhand markups.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:38:09 »

* HoffmanMyster suspects this is a jab at him.   :rolleyes:

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:48:48 »
* HoffmanMyster suspects this is a jab at him.   :rolleyes:

Nah, I'm just having fun. :D Some people think, "Time is money." I think, "God damned Reese's Puffs."

meebcats - my bad music

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:49:59 »
Nah, I'm just having fun. :D Some people think, "Time is money." I think, "God damned Reese's Puffs."

That's my guiding life philosophy as well.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:51:19 »
I once saw a similar sell off as several members threw in the towels, I actually asked some other senior members if something was going down due to all the clack sales, and of course they hadn't heard of anything.

Months passed, the sales slowed down and it became a ghost town with no one selling clacks. Then there were a few CC sales, and everything picked back up. Ebb and flow...

We know this

1) clack continues to have high success selling his clacks
2) these sales technically end in less then 1 second, with thousands of people missing out.
3) some of the other senior members who have run into life difficulties are reducing "SOME" of their collections.

I myself contemplated selling off some of my more valuable items to raise some cash for some big expenses (ie. baby,  insurance costs, possible new hobbies ie. cycling)

Fortunately, I've withheld myself from quitting my current job. I just needed to cut back for awhile.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:24:20 »
boobs.

always relevant.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:26:23 »
these sales technically end in less then 1 second, with thousands of people missing out.

Then explain how the same group of people 'win' a clack in every sale. Having lost out on the past 13 in a row, most being submitted within a second, I refuse to believe some people are simply that lucky to walk away with what they want from every sale.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:32:09 »
these sales technically end in less then 1 second, with thousands of people missing out.

Then explain how the same group of people 'win' a clack in every sale. Having lost out on the past 13 in a row, most being submitted within a second, I refuse to believe some people are simply that lucky to walk away with what they want from every sale.

They can send emails faster than you?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:37:31 »

They can send emails faster than you?

Science?

More
Core services admins with hell-a exchange/mail server experience
Network admins who understand how to reduce latency
Good NTP implementations
Script monkeys
People who use geo location to their advantage
Potent potables

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:41:24 »
It's very rare that someone gets everything they want.

And we do have some members who have spent thousands on trades, purchases, etc.. to build their collections.

boobs.

always relevant.

Always
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:44:38 by Wildcard »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:41:46 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 01:02:31 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 02:30:29 by eth0s »
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:15:44 »
I am flattered by the comments about thinking the new keycap vendors will be able to compete with CC.
No way is that my intent. I just want to make some cool stuff and get it out to people to enjoy.
CC's quality is way better then what I am producing.
But I will let you guys be the judge of that.

On Topic:
I never get in on cc's 4grabs sales.
I really wanted the candy corn set.
I am not part of some secret club.
Candy corn has always been my favorite halloween candy.
So I bought what I wanted.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:17:41 »
There is really only one logical course of action here, and that is for you to join the revolution!!!!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:50:20 »
Brocaps,

As someone that hand makes your own caps and can relate, I want to discuss for a moment the level of quality control/attention to detail that click clack demonstrates that is damn near impossible round after round but he seems to do it.

Perfect color matching.

Layering consistency for the julyscicles, october fest, candy corn blanks.

His double and triple shots are not painted they are actually casted material. The thin borders/outlines on the 420 tricolor keys and the tricolor skulls teeth are incredible. It looks like he applies the first layer with toothpicks/brushes to each area of the mold.

His level of perfection for a hand made product is incredible.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:54:26 »
Brocaps,

As someone that hand makes your own caps and can relate, I want to discuss for a moment the level of quality control/attention to detail that click clack demonstrates that is damn near impossible round after round but he seems to do it.

Perfect color matching.

His double and triple shots are not painted they are actually casted material. The thin borders/outlines on the 420 tricolor keys and the tricolor skulls teeth are incredible. It looks like he applies the first layer with toothpicks/brushes to each area of the mold.

It's all his gnomes and their tireless little fingers.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:03:06 »

It's all his gnomes and their tireless little fingers.

^^ clearly this

Santa has his elves, click clack has his gnomes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:05:01 by SpAmRaY »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:08:29 »
I think clacks are redeemable for drugs in some remote part of California, tri-colors are nearly an oz worth of the good stuff.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:20:30 »
I think clacks are redeemable for drugs in some remote part of California, tri-colors are nearly an oz worth of the good stuff.

so cal, folks.

my sympathies meiosis.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:41:51 »
So remind me, where is the Clack Factory?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:55:45 »
So remind me, where is the Clack Factory?

Somewhere in Cali

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:58:04 »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 05:55:21 »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 15:41:03 »
Brocaps,

Perfect color matching.

I believe I remember reading that CC worked in the special effects industry as a model maker.  He mentioned working on Nightmare Before Christmas IIRC.  He's a craftsman and a professional.

Offline mauri

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 15:47:54 »
Brocaps,

Perfect color matching.

I believe I remember reading that CC worked in the special effects industry as a model maker.  He mentioned working on Nightmare Before Christmas IIRC.  He's a craftsman and a professional.

Artisan. Mentor. Renaissance man. The ultimate human being. Brings a tear to my eye. Great men move the masses.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:49:00 »
Brocaps,

Perfect color matching.

Artisan. Mentor. Renaissance man. The ultimate human being. Brings a tear to my eye. Great men move the masses.

So true.  Lesser men only move their bowels.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:09:24 »
Brocaps,

Perfect color matching.

So true.  Lesser men only move their bowels.

Nothin wrong with that :cool:
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:58:47 »
Brocaps,

Perfect color matching.

That explains a lot!

Plus we are extra lucky to have him around :)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 05:06:25 »

Uhhh, no . We grind them up and sniff them directly.

Why do you think they cost so much. To put them on a keyboard? Lol, no,.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 05:28:14 »

Oh I get it - and the different coloured ones have different chemicals in them?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:56:00 »
Conspiracies, conspiracies everywhere.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:58:05 »
And all the keyboards did shrink
Conspiracies conspiracies everywhere
Not any clack to click.

Offline mauri

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 07:17:03 »

Oh I get it - and the different coloured ones have different chemicals in them?

Not chemicals, breeds. Clacks grow in vines. Haven't you ever been to a clackyard.

The skulls give you a strong physical body high that'll make you sleepy or "couch-locked" and provides you with a sleepy relaxation, compared to a julysicle/oktoberfest high, which is known to be more energetic and uplifting.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 07:56:49 »
Surprised that there's been no speculation on who he is.