Author Topic: [Shipping] Calm Depths [Please claim any unreceived orders!]  (Read 395563 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: [IN PRODUCTION] Calm Depths- SA profile, ABS keycap set
« Reply #650 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 00:17:04 »
I'm unfortunately in a situation myself and thus looking to wrap my own current GBs in Nov.

It's a unique and sticky situation, where I would be available online in Dec and Jan, but not offline, so none of that sorting, proxying, making acrylic stuff for those two months.

I've PMed Calm regarding possible solutions.

I'm unemployed and looking for work/transitioning into a part time job, so if you wanted to lump ship everything to someone in the US and ship from there, I can help with that.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #651 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 00:37:15 »
I live in Minnesota.  YGPM, Calm.

GO VIKINGS!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline affect656

« Reply #652 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 02:03:26 »
I'm not a "reputable" member of the community but another option I can offer is to just send it to me and if it shows up before you leave we can sort and ship together, and if it doesn't I can undertake the task or from there forward it somewhere else? Just an option, not the best but possible.
I like linear.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #653 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 02:18:37 »
I'm not a "reputable" member of the community but another option I can offer is to just send it to me and if it shows up before you leave we can sort and ship together, and if it doesn't I can undertake the task or from there forward it somewhere else? Just an option, not the best but possible.

Either way, you and I still gotta link up at some point before I leave, and I'll keep you in mind once I get a better idea of where I'll be once the caps are ready.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline jalli

« Reply #654 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:33:20 »
Not sure what kind of back injury it is and you have probably got a ton of "helpful" advice but here are my 2 cents based on my experience in dealing with herniated disks.

1. Get a standing desk, it's tough for the first couple of weeks but you adjust, it also helps keeping weight down.
1.1 Get a wireless headset to go with the standing desk, a proper digital one, I really like the logitech G930 but to each his own.
1.2 Get a good pair of indoor shoes to use while standing, my personal favorite is Crocks (look at what hospital staff that work on their feet all day wear, 90% wear Crocks even though they are fugly as ....)
2. Walk, every day take at least a 30 minute walk, wear good sneakers, this really helps a lot
3. If you like swimming it really helps, no breaststroke though.

Just an update here, everything is on track with one major exception.

I have been living with a back injury since my deployment to Iraq in '08, and very recently the injury has become unmanageable, leaving me unable to propery perform my duties in the Army. That said, my near future may be a mess. At some point within the next few months I will begin the process of ending my service to the military, and the first step of that process is to have a change of station to be located with a WTU (Warrior Transistion Unit) a unit set up for people like me, all of which are located within the US. This means that this time next month, I might be leaving Korea.

My biggest fear is to have been assured I have say, a month left in country and tell SP "Oh sure, I got plenty of time, send it through" and it ends up on a boat, instead of a plane, and I leave with all of our keycaps in limbo.

That being said, this is a pretty ****ty situation and I'm sorry. I did not expect to be processing out this early. So, until I'm certain I am either staying put, or get moved and have a new mailing address, I plan to tell SP to hold onto the package until I am sure of where it needs to go without ****ing everyone, include myself, over.

The other option here, is that we could send it to a reputable member of the community that is alright taking on the burden of shipping this GB.
Or, if someone in the Minnesota area would be willing to hold onto it, when I do make it stateside, when my wife comes to visit me at which ever post I end up at, could pick the boxes up and deliver them to me.

None of these options are great, but I will have more info on my circumstances in about 3-5 weeks, and it all depends on what they find, and what they say. That's about the time production should be completed, so hopefully I have a better answer for you than "I don't ****ing know"

I just realized. I could just ship it to my Wife.

Anyways. All of that bad news out of the way. This GB will be completed. We are on track, we've just got a delay potentially waiting down the line. Stick with me and everyone will be getting their keycaps. And I could see what it would cost to get SP to sort and ship, but that would be a bit of a nightmare, because they'd have to price every single order's shipping cost, which might differ from my shipping cost, and could end up with another big cost added onto what everyone has already done to help out.

Though maybe I could ask them to sort into three packages. One to MOZ, one to Bunny, and one to my wife. That way the only people held up are those in the states, but MOZ and Bunny would need to sort them into individual packages.

Alright, I'm going to tap out for the day. I'll update you as soon as I have anything for you.
Antonia

Offline thadood

« Reply #655 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:29:14 »
I absolutely understand your situation! I've had herniated disks since 2010. It really feels like life puts you in the timeout corner when it comes to anything relating to your back. I'm currently going through an episode with my back right now, in fact.

Good luck with your process to get out of service, like everyone else has said: life and health come first.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #656 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:05:24 »
Get yourself sorted Calm, GH'ers dont have a problem if you take the time to explain your situation,  get yourself sorted happy and well.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #657 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:08:31 »
Like what everybody else said. There's been group buys going on for ages *coughToxicSetcough*. Thank you for your consideration to our needs and let me be considerate to your situation now. These things happen and this GB is like your baby. I have no problem waiting for you. Hope you get better.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #658 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:49:30 »
Thanks for the update.  I was about to ask how everything was going.

I hear the ocean is beautiful this time of year.  I hope it's a nice trip.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #659 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:02:45 »
I live in Minnesota.  YGPM, Calm.

GO VIKINGS!

No, no.  I am a Packers fan.  I'm from Wisconsin, just going to school here right now.  Who knows, maybe I'll stick around, but I will never be a Vikings fan.    :D

Sorry to disappoint.  :P

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #660 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:11:05 »
Don't worry. MN natives aren't Viking fans either.

Go Twins.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #661 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:33:43 »

Haha.  My friends are fans and they just get really angry every Sunday.   :p

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #662 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 20:24:25 »
Calm, sent you a PM, do have a look.

Offline piraterice

« Reply #663 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 20:57:27 »
sorry to hear that.....

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #664 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 02:40:59 »

Go Twins.
So true, my GF is from MN and she hates the Vikings for some odd reason... Loves the packers which I don't get

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #665 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 10:33:15 »

Go Twins.
So true, my GF is from MN and she hates the Vikings for some odd reason... Loves the packers which I don't get

She's a smart one.   :D

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #666 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 13:53:50 »
Any updates?

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #667 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 13:57:22 »
hum. I wonder what I bought from this. forgottenmemories

Offline Kouni

« Reply #668 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:18:40 »
I mostly hope Calm is doing ok and that he's got his situation figured out a little.  :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #669 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 10:22:20 »
Hey Calm, how's everything going?  Did you ever get any help with this?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline vierax

« Reply #670 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 19:57:51 »
I'm confident about the live of this GB, Calm seems totally reliable so I just hope that he is going well  :thumb:

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #671 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 08:33:02 »
Just a quick question about the modifiers in this set, since there is some conflicting data. The concept picture shows two Win keys plus a menu key, but the mods kit lists the following:

---- 1.25u Win
---- 1.25u Menu
---- 2x 1.25u Menu

Surely it wouldn't have only one Win key and three Menu keys? That leaves one naked Win switch and a couple extra menu keys floating around.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline pasph

« Reply #672 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:17:11 »
Waiting for news from CalmB4tehPwn...
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #673 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:19:42 »
Plenty of useless info about this group but in the recent podcast.

Offline farinasa

« Reply #674 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:35:01 »
If anyone is not interested in their set I would gladly take them off your hands. ;D

Offline pasph

« Reply #675 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 10:04:14 »
Podcast?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #676 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 22:56:01 »

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #677 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 02:53:22 »

For those wondering what "useless info" was in the podcast. It was basically a recap of the end of thread. Here's another one in text:

Calm, the group buy organizer, was in Korea with US Military and was planning to have SP, the plastics maker doing the set for us, ship to the him on the base. Even though this adds time, it still only costs US shipping. However, Calm found out he was leaving abruptly due to medical issues. In his last posts he mentioned either having SP hang onto the set until he sorts his situation out or shipping them to his wife. (source)

He's been on the forum a few times since October but hasn't yet clarified where the caps are. An update's probably coming soon.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #678 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 05:14:44 »
Thanks, nuclearsandwich.

Let me make a few things clear, but I'll start with an apology. I stated from the very beginning that I would give you an update every single week until everyone had their caps, even if I had nothing to report except that I'm still alive. I have, however, not been on GH for the past couple weeks. Part of this is due to my work schedule kicking up, and part is due to my feeling guilty that I started this, and it's now in limbo. I am sorry, and I will move forward with weekly updates from here.

Speaking of which: Update!
I have requested an appointment with orthopedics, and am waiting for a phone call back for a date. Unfortunately army medicine is not fast, so we all have to wait together.
Once I have this appointment (which was originally scheduled for next week), I will have a better picture of what we need to do next. I haven't lined up anyone else taking over shipping quite yet, because I still don't know if that's entirely necessary. I don't want to make promises without incomplete information.

Additionally, I haven't heard from SP since I pushed the payment through. I'll email Melissa when I'm done with this update, asking for an update on progress.

I have had a number of volunteers, wishing to help, so no matter how this goes down, we will figure out a way to get everyone their caps. At the VERY worst case scenario, I am out of the Army this May, we just have SP hold on to it for six months, send it to Minnesota, and I knock it out there. If anyone stateside would like to volunteer to take over sorting and mailing entirely, we can talk about it and work something out. I have purchased 7 additional Ergodox kits, to reach our numbers, and we can work out getting you a set or two for your troubles. Before I agree to send it to anybody, I'll post it here in the forum to ensure nobody has any objections. I wont put a post limit or join date on it, but I will ask that you're a well known and active member of the community.

Thank you again, Nuke, you PMing me and pulling me out of me reverie. I hope everyone is doing well and has a happy thanksgiving. I'll update you all as soon as I have updates to give, and will definitely be checking in every week.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #679 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:03:48 »
I hope everyone is doing well and has a happy thanksgiving. I'll update you all as soon as I have updates to give, and will definitely be checking in every week.

No worries, just get better and enjoy your thanksgiving as well  :thumb: .

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #680 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:17:34 »

For those wondering what "useless info" was in the podcast. It was basically a recap of the end of thread. Here's another one in text:

Calm, the group buy organizer, was in Korea with US Military and was planning to have SP, the plastics maker doing the set for us, ship to the him on the base. Even though this adds time, it still only costs US shipping. However, Calm found out he was leaving abruptly due to medical issues. In his last posts he mentioned either having SP hang onto the set until he sorts his situation out or shipping them to his wife. (source)

He's been on the forum a few times since October but hasn't yet clarified where the caps are. An update's probably coming soon.

Oh you made it sound so much better.

Them calling it calmderps and basically saying OP had no business running a group buy and insinuating it was going to fail seemed to be the focus. :/

Offline vierax

« Reply #681 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:06:49 »

Oh you made it sound so much better.

Them calling it calmderps and basically saying OP had no business running a group buy and insinuating it was going to fail seemed to be the focus. :/
Thanks you both for the information. Seems this podcast was childish, over-reacted and not empathic at all, I'm glad to have missed that.
All the organisation of this GB is very clear and strictly run (some military service habits ? :p ) and the communication is near perfection. The only bad thing that Calm did was to share his logistic concern and asking some help to keep this alive. If he didn't revealed this information and turns the communication of the GB in the opaque way, nobody doubted about his trustfulness in the case that he solves it by himself. But if it goes wrong, everybody will complain about not telling us earlier some help : So IMHO what he does was the best reaction ever.

Sorry to ask but what's « derps » ? Is it slang ? I didn't find a translation.

Offline Kouni

« Reply #682 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:46:17 »
If anyone stateside would like to volunteer to take over sorting and mailing entirely, we can talk about it and work something out
+100 with this. I think if we want things to run smoothly and avoid our caps travelling twice around the world it would be a reasonable option. But then someone has to volunteer to do it.

Yeah I thought the "calm derps" was a bit out of line too.

Vierax, derp=abruti en gros

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #683 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:14:33 »
Its not like we were trying to offend anyone.  It was a joke.  Also everyone on the podcast agreed that you'd come through.  Get better man.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #684 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:16:38 »

Sorry to ask but what's « derps » ? Is it slang ? I didn't find a translation.

derp, herp derp, and derping are all ableist terms indicating stupidity or lack of mental faculty. If you've avoided them thus far I encourage you not to pick them up.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #685 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:10:36 »
We all love Derpy, but you wouldn't normally put her in charge of a large project.

In her case, actually, not a small one either.

As to the GB, I doubt the keys are made yet anyway. Though they should be really close to done.
Fair to middlin' chance I could proxy for folks on the I-5 corridor ... make a motorcycle trip of it on a dry day off*. Assuming SP is okay about splitting the "shipping" that early, and that yes indeed the keycaps are three hours north of me.

*Wait, what? Oh, n/m. Forgot where I lived.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:13:50 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline vierax

« Reply #686 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:22:02 »
Thanks guys for the translation !
I don't have this sense of humour nor the faculty to make the difference between sarcasm and some sort of humour so no regrets at all. :)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #687 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 19:49:34 »
I will volunteer for shipping before waiting 6 months. There are some other geekhack members in or near Florida that I am sure would come over to help sort/ship.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #688 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 21:21:23 »
Thanks for the update Calm. I would be glad to help people ship everything if your situation doesn't get better. I think there's a bunch of GHer's in the Silicon Valley and we could get a packing party together.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #689 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 21:26:58 »
Thanks for the update Calm. I would be glad to help people ship everything if your situation doesn't get better. I think there's a bunch of GHer's in the Silicon Valley and we could get a packing party together.

Totally down for a Santa Clara Valley sorting party if that'll help.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #690 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:52:08 »
I'd definitely rather not wait 6 months, but then again, I can"t offer to help speed up the process or help with sorting.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #691 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 02:12:11 »
It's distressing to hear my character was played upon in this podcast, but I can't control the breaks in this particular deal. Anyways, BunnyLake has volunteered his crew to step up and take over the shipping on this GB. I hate to put all of this on him and his people, but it's a better alternative than a 6 month wait.

Let me get my appointment, and see what the verdict is. It sounds like as people are standing up to help, a six month wait is probably not the way this will go.

I'm a bit disappointed, as this will probably end up a burden on somebody else, which is the last thing I ever wanted, and I had so many ideas for sorting, and I was eager to try and put them into practice.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #692 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 04:51:29 »
I think most people understand that you set this up with the best intentions and kept things going smoothly until things you couldn't control happened.

Thanks to Bunny for offering to help us all out.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #693 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 05:15:27 »
It's distressing to hear my character was played upon in this podcast, but I can't control the breaks in this particular deal. Anyways, BunnyLake has volunteered his crew to step up and take over the shipping on this GB. I hate to put all of this on him and his people, but it's a better alternative than a 6 month wait.

That's Bunny for you, when you're down on your luck he steps up to help.  Very decent individual, so don't worry about all this stuff and concentrate on getting better.  Your health has to always come first  :thumb: .

Offline Kouni

« Reply #694 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 06:11:07 »
Once again the selfless Rabbit comes back to save the day. Great news.

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #695 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 12:52:37 »
Thanks, nuclearsandwich.
[...] Part of this is due to my work schedule kicking up, and part is due to my feeling guilty that I started this, and it's now in limbo.  [...]

I feel like this statement takes balls to admit. Thanks Calm for being honest about your situation and your feelings. I imagine losing control of a GB must suck but its time like these, a post from you is extremely relieving... (not to mention that you are still alive and waiting to see a doctor instead of potentially dealing with chronic pain)
CM QFR - Cherry Blue | CM Storm Trigger - Cherry Brown | Keycool 84 - Cherry Black | Corsair K95 - Cherry Red | IBM Model M '93

Offline Halvar

« Reply #696 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 16:02:13 »
Bunny is my hero of the year here already, has done so much great stuff here, and this is another example. Why is there no Geekhack award that we can give to him?

But also: a lot of respect to Calm for doing this GB in the first place, and coming forward so openly about these personal things so people could help find a good solution (if it should become necessary). Takes a lot more balls than e.g. shooting fast judgements with friends in a podcast.

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #697 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 19:43:54 »
Sorry for your situation Calm, I know that this GB is like your baby and it is unfortunate that circumstances caused it to turn out like this. Hope you get better and your medical issues go smoothly, you can always arrange another GB. I don't think anyone will hold this against you and forbid you from doing another GB.

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #698 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:33:09 »
Thank you for the update CBTP... Haters gonna hate. Try not to sweat it too much man!

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #699 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:26:37 »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Honestly, since I started this GB, and invested a significant amount of money into it. Plus, the fact that I have two project boards that I've made no progress on (despite having a whole set of brand new clears waiting for me to get busy with) I've found little interest in spending too much time on the forums. I can't afford to join any GBs besides my own, there's nothing I can afford on the classifieds that piques my interest. I can't spend all day looking at info and opinions on switches and keycap materials when I've either got it on the way, or couldn't afford to try anything new.

It's just frustrated to be so interested in Mech keyboards, but being unable to do much else beside dip my toe in this ocean.

I'm not going anywhere, that's not why I'm saying all of this, I'm just in a weird place in my life right now, and GH isn't an exception for me. I'm just losing interest in things.

/existential crisis