Author Topic: Windows 8 hate?  (Read 27301 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Windows 8 hate?
« on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 04:42:32 »
I don't see what the big fuss is all about regarding windows 8, sure it's a bit harder to navigate , but everything else looks real polished , and i don't crash on windows 8.

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: Windows 8 hate?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 05:04:03 »
I don't see what the big fuss is all about regarding windows 8, sure it's a bit harder to navigate , but everything else looks real polished , and i don't crash on windows 8.

Windows 7 is almost exactly the same as 8, just as you said 8 is harder to navigate, therefore what is the point? People say "I don't crash, it doesn't crash, nothing crashes etc. etc." it all depends on your rig, and how its feeling that day. As for polish, meh, no problems here with the polish on windows 7.

Do fix what isn't broken, but if you want to innovate, make sure its an improvement, not a step back.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Jack

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 05:08:55 »
I visited the Windows 8 machines at the electronics store a while back. It turns out that for all the progress and innovation you can still forkbomb Windows with a five-character batch script. Neep neep.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 05:48:12 »
Windows 8 is everything wrong with Microsoft at the moment, ran by a visionless CEO who has no clue about how to take MS into the future other than failing to copy other company's, it's pathetic and has been an abject failure, Windows Phone 8, Surface and Windows 8.

For me Vista is a better operating system than Windows 8, it's easier to use and was designed around a good idea that then manifested it's self in a better more optimal OS called Windows 7. Windows 8 is some half arsed horrible crack to pair two interfaces that should never be paired together, and has kinda failed. Yeah Windows 8 has made money, but it's windows ofc it would make money.

It's a dumb OS that is harder to use than previous OS's and highlights just how clueless they are going forward.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 05:49:42 »
How is it hard to navigate? The Metro is just the start menu expanded.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 05:56:28 »

But you would actually have to open an application to enter the desktop

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 05:58:39 »
Why is there even a start menu at this point?

All you need is a search field, and links to my computer and control panel... Why do I need to give up my entire desktop to a horrible looking screen of oversized icons (of which the desktop is bizzarly one) and then scroll past the metro apps to get to the actual apps in the new search field.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:04:49 »
Why is there even a start menu at this point?

All you need is a search field, and links to my computer and control panel... Why do I need to give up my entire desktop to a horrible looking screen of oversized icons (of which the desktop is bizzarly one) and then scroll past the metro apps to get to the actual apps in the new search field.

+1

Also I like my start button.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:16:56 »

But you would actually have to open an application to enter the desktop

Not when 8.1 is released.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:34:33 »
For me Vista is a better operating system than Windows 8, it's easier to use and was designed around a good idea that then manifested it's self in a better more optimal OS called Windows 7.

Still love using Windows 7.  And it still performs nicely on my desktop under any condition.

Windows 8 is some half arsed horrible crack to pair two interfaces that should never be paired together, and has kinda failed. Yeah Windows 8 has made money, but it's windows ofc it would make money.

Windows 8 will always be remembered as the utter failure for mating a mobile phone interface to a desktop pc, enough said  ::) .

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:43:21 »
For me Vista is a better operating system than Windows 8, it's easier to use and was designed around a good idea that then manifested it's self in a better more optimal OS called Windows 7.

Still love using Windows 7.  And it still performs nicely on my desktop under any condition.

Windows 8 is some half arsed horrible crack to pair two interfaces that should never be paired together, and has kinda failed. Yeah Windows 8 has made money, but it's windows ofc it would make money.

Windows 8 will always be remembered as the utter failure for mating a mobile phone interface to a desktop pc, enough said  ::) .

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:47:24 »
Change for the sake of change.

Forcing millions of users who have become accustomed over decades to using a computer in a particular way, to suddenly use it in a different way.

Not good.

I also complained heavily over differences between Windows XP and Windows 7, like why such a radical redesign of the Control Panel?  Everyone knew where everything was, now in 7 you get a summary of a few of the dumbed down options and have to search for everything else.  Silly.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:49:58 »
Have any of you used Windows 8 on a device with a touchscreen? Maybe then you will understand why they have made the changes that they have. Changing the systems for desktops as well keeps continuity.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:53:43 »
Have any of you used Windows 8 on a device with a touchscreen? Maybe then you will understand why they have made the changes that they have. Changing the systems for desktops as well keeps continuity.

No, but I'm sorry a laptop or computer with a touch screen is a bad thing, not a good thing. You want a mobile OS that can be used on touch screen devices, yeah its called Windows Phone and they already made it, so why is the desktop OS suffering? It makes zero sense, and hell if your going to copy anything from Apple, it would surly be the place where they make BILLIONS....

Yeah I'm a win7 user, just making the point that Vista the most hated OS of all time, isn't actually that bad and once patched is totally fine and actually better to use than Win8

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:53:58 »

And how many consumer touchscreen PCs are there out there at the moment?  Compared to conventional desktops?

How many people running older operating systems looking to upgrade to WIndows 8 would have a touch screen?

Yes I have heard that a touch screen is the way to go with Windows 8, but really, aiming for an almost non-existent target market is just silly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:58:00 »

No, but I'm sorry a laptop or computer with a touch screen is a bad thing, not a good thing. You want a mobile OS that can be used on touch screen devices, yeah its called Windows Phone and they already made it, so why is the desktop OS suffering? It makes zero sense, and hell if your going to copy anything from Apple, it would surly be the place where they make BILLIONS....

Yeah I'm a win7 user, just making the point that Vista the most hated OS of all time, isn't actually that bad and once patched is totally fine and actually better to use than Win8

You're 100% right, MS are just stupid for creating an OS that truly does work on a desktop and a tablet device.

They should also definitely copy Apple, I mean their OS is really developing for laptops and touchscreens wouldn't you agree?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:58:49 »

And how many consumer touchscreen PCs are there out there at the moment?  Compared to conventional desktops?

How many people running older operating systems looking to upgrade to WIndows 8 would have a touch screen?

Yes I have heard that a touch screen is the way to go with Windows 8, but really, aiming for an almost non-existent target market is just silly.

MS cannot do both, they either stay supporting legacy systems with stale software or they explore new options for modern devices.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:04:28 »

You're 100% right, MS are just stupid for creating an OS that truly does work on a desktop and a tablet device.

They should also definitely copy Apple, I mean their OS is really developing for laptops and touchscreens wouldn't you agree?

Works? Yeah Windows 8 tables are great! dat surface sold what like, 3 units to some guy called Steve? So yeah I'd call them pretty stupid, becasue it's bad for both uses, its worse than Win7 on the desktop and not as good as Windows Mobile on a touch screen.

And yeah, they should copy Apple where Apple has made Microsoft look like chumps, remember how horrible and garbage Windows Mobile was prior to Windows Phone 8? I sure do, it took the iPhone and then several years for MS to even have something that's comparable and then because its such a tiny little market, it has no apps and so only a few people in Italy bought any...

In the mean time, Apple has been able to make literally billions of $ selling basically the same device they launched in 2007 with simply varying sizes of screens, so yeah... if I was any kind of tech company I'd want some of that money

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:05:08 »
I think the win8 hate train left a while back. I mean there are still valid arguments to be made both against and in support of it, but they've all been made and there doesn't seem to be much of a fuss anymore.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:07:28 »

Works? Yeah Windows 8 tables are great! dat surface sold what like, 3 units to some guy called Steve? So yeah I'd call them pretty stupid, becasue it's bad for both uses, its worse than Win7 on the desktop and not as good as Windows Mobile on a touch screen.

And yeah, they should copy Apple where Apple has made Microsoft look like chumps, remember how horrible and garbage Windows Mobile was prior to Windows Phone 8? I sure do, it took the iPhone and then several years for MS to even have something that's comparable and then because its such a tiny little market, it has no apps and so only a few people in Italy bought any...

In the mean time, Apple has been able to make literally billions of $ selling basically the same device they launched in 2007 with simply varying sizes of screens, so yeah... if I was any kind of tech company I'd want some of that money

Is it bad? How has your experience with a touchscreen Windows 8 machine been? I take it that you have one as you seem to be pretty well informed about it.

I'm not going to continue as it feels like I am just talking to a keyboard warrior / troll.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:07:50 »
Not really a fan, preferred Windows 7
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:07:59 »

MS cannot do both, they either stay supporting legacy systems with stale software or they explore new options for modern devices.

Not denying that, just suggesting that there are fewer such "modern devices" around as Microsoft would like to think.  This is a strategy that could go either way.  Unfortunately at the moment it seems to be going the wrong way.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:10:22 »

Not denying that, just suggesting that there are fewer such "modern devices" around as Microsoft would like to think.  This is a strategy that could go either way.  Unfortunately at the moment it seems to be going the wrong way.

It definitely could go either way but MS does seem to be listening to what consumers want. My Windows 8 laptop / tablet thing is amazing, I wouldn't go back now.

Hopefully it will play out well in the next year or so.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:12:12 »

Is it bad? How has your experience with a touchscreen Windows 8 machine been? I take it that you have one as you seem to be pretty well informed about it.

I'm not going to continue as it feels like I am just talking to a keyboard warrior / troll.

My experiences have been limited becasue very few people own such devices, but I've used touch screen laptops since XP and they have almost all been terrible, not becasue of the OS becasue the whole idea is dumb, why if you have a laptop is it easier to poke around on the screen? Keyboard shortcuts are faster and more accurate, then there is the whole hidden nonsense of the Win8 OS, like the charms, getting those to appear using the touch screen sucks, its easier to use a mouse/touch pad at which point, why bother with the touch screen?

Though I've yet to use a desktop touch screen machine...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:13:59 »
My Windows 8 laptop / tablet thing is amazing, I wouldn't go back now.

Whats so great about it, say over a win7 machine w/o the touch screen?

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:32:12 »
Lots of people still prefer to drive "hot rods" made in the '60's and '70's, maybe with some modern mods.

I keep hearing LOTS of people having problems running games on Windows 8. But i'm still on Vista x64, so idk. Mine works well enough. Sure it's got some weirdness here and there, but doesn't everything? I don't think i've ever used anything with which i couldn't find something wrong, or something sub-optimal. Everything is a compromise.

I use Windows because of DirectX, Gaming, Market share, etc., which makes the Linux Gaming options rather sparse, or simply not an option at all for certain games i want to play.

Windows, to me, is literally only useful because they've nearly monopolized PC Gaming. And now, lots of people are having problems with Windows 8, and gaming.

So... /windows_hate

The instant i am able to do everything i want to do, without touching Windows, M$ can S my D.

But until then, and because i can't change it, and won't completely alter my life just because microsoft, i'm content enough, as long as it works.

Windows 8 + Gaming = Uh Oh! That, and the arbitrary interface changes, are probably where most of the hate begins.

But as we all know, once you have one reason to hate something, you'll tend to find more.
Logitech G710+

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:55:26 »

My experiences have been limited becasue very few people own such devices, but I've used touch screen laptops since XP and they have almost all been terrible, not becasue of the OS becasue the whole idea is dumb, why if you have a laptop is it easier to poke around on the screen? Keyboard shortcuts are faster and more accurate, then there is the whole hidden nonsense of the Win8 OS, like the charms, getting those to appear using the touch screen sucks, its easier to use a mouse/touch pad at which point, why bother with the touch screen?

Though I've yet to use a desktop touch screen machine...

I DON'T USE WINDOWS 8. I USE WINDOWS 98. WHICH IS MUCH EASIER TO NAVIGATE! IT ALSO RUNS INTERNET EXPLORER 6. TRY AND BEAT THAT!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline codymaust

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 08:14:12 »
Personally, I love Windows 8. Also, I enjoy the metro/fullscreen apps when reading and writing.

I am mostly a Linux guy, but I use MS because of school and my job as a c# developer.

Key to success in Windows 8 is keyboard shortcuts

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 10:11:27 »
People need a quick menu or list where they can see all of their apps. If you use certain apps infrequently, its maddening to be expected to remember their NAMES at the moment when you actually do need them.

Ubuntu seems to have copied Windows 8 in this respect, which is why so many Linux users are leaving it. They are supposedly copying Apple in their UI, but last time I checked it was still easy to look at the Applications folder on the latest OS X. So Ubuntu has a humoungously obnoxious Steve Ballmer-inspired feature in their UI now-- In order to see a list of "all installed applications" I have to wade through a small area of not-small thumbnails where most of the icons are bits and pieces of the system settings panel, diagnostic tools, etc. arranged alphabetically with no folder structure. A suite of programs will be scattered throughout that list unless all of the suite's pieces have names that start with the same letters. It sucks.

As for touchscreens, Apple has watched the PC market make pushes for touchscreens since the early 90s. Its never worked before, so they came out with their touchpad for the desktop.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 11:37:01 »
Lots of people still prefer to drive "hot rods" made in the '60's and '70's, maybe with some modern mods.

I keep hearing LOTS of people having problems running games on Windows 8. But i'm still on Vista x64, so idk. Mine works well enough. Sure it's got some weirdness here and there, but doesn't everything? I don't think i've ever used anything with which i couldn't find something wrong, or something sub-optimal. Everything is a compromise.

I use Windows because of DirectX, Gaming, Market share, etc., which makes the Linux Gaming options rather sparse, or simply not an option at all for certain games i want to play.

Windows, to me, is literally only useful because they've nearly monopolized PC Gaming. And now, lots of people are having problems with Windows 8, and gaming.

So... /windows_hate

The instant i am able to do everything i want to do, without touching Windows, M$ can S my D.

But until then, and because i can't change it, and won't completely alter my life just because microsoft, i'm content enough, as long as it works.

Windows 8 + Gaming = Uh Oh! That, and the arbitrary interface changes, are probably where most of the hate begins.

But as we all know, once you have one reason to hate something, you'll tend to find more.

That's funny, I'm a PC gamer with a huge Steam list, and the only game I've had a problem running was GTA IV, and that was due to GFWL.

Windows 8 has been a great improvement for me personally.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 11:52:53 »
They'll have to drag me away from XP by my shins as I scrabble at the pavement with my bloody fingers.

XP was an improvement over previous versions, but everything beyond that, to me, has been completely unnecessary.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 12:19:45 »
They'll have to drag me away from XP by my shins as I scrabble at the pavement with my bloody fingers.

XP was an improvement over previous versions, but everything beyond that, to me, has been completely unnecessary.

I don't know how to use windows without the search field in the start menu.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:06:11 »
I didn't like 8, but I really like 8.1. I was extremely skeptical but I gave it a real chance and discovered I really do like it a lot after using it for a time. They fixed most of the things that annoyed the hell out of me, or at least there are options to adjust certain things. Using older Windows now annoys me quite a bit. I find some of those older interfaces so clunky and inelegant now. I've pretty much always hated every MS gui, but I think 8 is the closest to my liking ever so far. There are very few reshacks I have felt like I needed to do. Once uxtheme patcher is working on 8.1 I will take care of the last small things and be very happy.
Amusingly one of my favorite things is that there is a Microsoft HD audio driver not made by Creative for my TitaniumHD soundcard, so everything has been so lovely and stable :)) I've also had zero driver resets on the nvidia front either, which has made gaming a much more pleasant experience.
There are a lot of good improvements on behind the scenes features that I especially like. Faster start up, SSD optimizer, updated task manager/performance, updated file transfer dialogs, improved homegroup functionality, skydrive integration (for pseudo roaming profiles), storage spaces...
Some of the included metro apps even aren't that bad. For example Reader, which is perfectly adequate for viewing pdf files and I don't have to deal with other crappy and/or bloated pdf applications. I also make use of the news app which is a fairly decent rss reader.
I definitely plan on staying with 8.1 on my primary machine at the least and getting it when it is officially available next month, or at least before the preview suicides depending on budgeting.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:11:41 »
I prefer Win7 with taskbars only (no start menu either...)
I added another taskbar on top with drop down menus to access everything, much faster and easier!

35418-0

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:12:20 »
I have windows 7 on my laptop, and windows 8 on my desktop
i prefer windows 8

i actually like the start menu..

Offline Clicky

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:37:01 »
Windows 8 is a wonderful OS...for tablets.  Coming from Windows 7 you're shoved into a tablet optimized interface.  Microsoft could have completely eliminated criticism for this by including by giving you a classic option and a metro option.  Mind blowing that they didn't (perhaps to justify the existence of Windows 8?).  I upgraded simply for the sake of keeping up with tech and being able to help out people that I know who might have issues with it.  To be honest, it works just fine.  For anyone who is slightly tech savvy I don't see the interface slowing you down, plus you can install a 3rd party start menu replacement (I used Start 8 for a bit, but there are others).  For those who are less than savvy, it could take a slight adjustment (my wife now knows what the windows key is...pretty sure she had never hit it purposely in her life before) to get used to.

Offline muad

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 14:19:10 »
Loving windows 8 here! As it is sucks but you only need one program and it's all fixed. I purchased Startisback as it uses the code in windows 8 to restore the startmenu. If you want a free option then there is always classic shell. Neither program uses tiny amount of resources and implements the start menu and boots into windows desktop. There are even options to disable any way of getting into metro. To be honest I can't remeber seeing metro at all since the intial installation.

Other than that windows 8 has been rocksolid for me and all my games have funcitioned properly. No issues here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 September 2013, 14:22:59 by muad »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 14:32:53 »
If u have a steel series mouse...do not install steel series engine yet on 8.1. It's driver wil lock it up and you have to restore from a restore point to fix it.

Support said they are developing a new version now for 8.1

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 14:37:46 »
My primary OS is OS X, but I have VMs and some PCs running Win 7 in order occasionally to run some Win-specific software. However, a colleague whose opinions I trust has told me that Win 8.1 is actually rather good, especially on a dual-monitor setup, and it is faster than Win 7. However, if I were to use it, I would want to use the Classic Shell add-on to give me back the explorer interface. In any event, Win 8 makes me all the more thankful for OS X and linux.

Offline ijprest

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 15:26:38 »
When I installed Win8, I was totally willing to give the new start-screen a chance. 

But then I found out I wasn't going to be able to run Metro apps anyway.  I mean that literally... Metro apps refuse to run at all if you turn off UAC.  (I guess MS doesn't want me shopping in their app-store!)

So I installed StartIsBack (http://www.startisback.com/).  Now Win8 looks and feels like a skinned Win7.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 15:32:20 »
When I installed Win8, I was totally willing to give the new start-screen a chance. 

But then I found out I wasn't going to be able to run Metro apps anyway.  I mean that literally... Metro apps refuse to run at all if you turn off UAC.  (I guess MS doesn't want me shopping in their app-store!)

So I installed StartIsBack (http://www.startisback.com/).  Now Win8 looks and feels like a skinned Win7.

Metro apps run on my computer with UAC disabled...

Offline ijprest

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 15:48:34 »

No they don't.  You just haven't completely disabled UAC.  (You can't disable UAC using the UI anymore... you have to do it in the registry.  Simply moving the slider to the bottom *does not* disable UAC.)

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 15:49:46 »
"i don't crash on windows 8"

Wat.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 16:09:54 »

No they don't.  You just haven't completely disabled UAC.  (You can't disable UAC using the UI anymore... you have to do it in the registry.  Simply moving the slider to the bottom *does not* disable UAC.)

Ahh, you're right... I thought it did disable it, but it just doesn't notify me.

Didn't it used to disable it in Vista / 7 by doing that? If not, I dunno where I got this assumption from, sorry

Offline ijprest

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 16:37:42 »
Ahh, you're right... I thought it did disable it, but it just doesn't notify me.

Didn't it used to disable it in Vista / 7 by doing that? If not, I dunno where I got this assumption from, sorry

Yes, that's correct.  You could disable UAC via the slider in Vista/7.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 20:03:12 »
WHEN I DON'T WANT MY START MENU I JUST GO ON MY WINDOWS 3.1 PC. CAN'T BEAT PROGRAM MANAGER!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline vasouv

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 03:48:41 »
I really REALLY like the new Win8 theme, the Metro UI is not THAT hard for me I usually just search the program I want to run anyway so it saves time. I think MS is releasing the 8.1 update with the addition of a Start button so everything's gonna be good :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 03:50:15 »
WHEN I DON'T WANT MY START MENU I JUST GO ON MY WINDOWS 3.1 PC. CAN'T BEAT PROGRAM MANAGER!

I seem to recall that you could double-click the desktop to do something in Windows 3.1, then double-click to undo it.

I used to spend many minutes at a time idly double-clicking over and over again.

I am easily amused.

Offline Justblair

• Justblairs Audio and Electronics Pages
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 05:38:13 »
I am an IT trainer, so I try and keep ahead of MS applications. (let's face it MS is where it's at for business users, I get asked to train Mac around twice a year and even then it's Office 11). For a desktop user a smooth transition from 7 to 8 is nigh on impossible unless you are already exclusively using the keyboard to navigate. It is simply awful. 8.1 on the other hand is pretty much fixed the worst of 8s problems. I use it on my laptop and apart from having to recompile a driver for my USBtiny Avr programmer the beta is even starting to enter my affections. I am unconvinced that the current desktop pc format has had its day. Business environments have limited use for tablets and touchscreens. They do not offer convenience for the grunt work we do on a daily basis, they may be revolutionising how we consume data in our home and leisure time but they currently consume data more effectively than they produce work product.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 07:59:53 »

i use start 8