Author Topic: Upgrading QFR  (Read 2660 times)

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
Upgrading QFR
« on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 12:54:25 »
Does the QFR use a PCB or Plate? I'm looking to get some replacement Cherry switches for it but I don't know whether I need the Plate Mount (without pins) or the PCB Mount (with pins) for it?

Thanks

Offline dragonxx21

Re: Upgrading QFR
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 12:57:01 »
Does the QFR use a PCB or Plate? I'm looking to get some replacement Cherry switches for it but I don't know whether I need the Plate Mount (without pins) or the PCB Mount (with pins) for it?

Thanks

Both. It has both a PCB as well as a Plate.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 13:09:15 »
You can't only have a plate :P

But what I think the OP meant was are the switches plate mounted or PCB mounted, then answer is, they are plate mounted.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 13:11:44 »
You can't only have a plate :P

But what I think the OP meant was are the switches plate mounted or PCB mounted, then answer is, they are plate mounted.

Direct wiring.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 13:18:08 »
I doubt CM would sell a direct wired keyboard, I really do.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 13:55:01 »
I think the only keyboards with no PCB are DIY.

@IonutZ, If you get PCB-mount switches for the QFR, you will have to trim the pins off, or swap the bases with the PCB mount that come with the QFR.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 15:43:43 »
a direct wired production keyboard would be hilarious, but would also cost a million dollars. all production keyboards have electrical wiring a proper FR-4 PCB. the major thing that varies between the pcbs vended by the different keyboard manufacturers is the amount of copper (very little is needed to carry signal, but a more copper and more fiberglass means that the pcb is more rigid and provides more support to the switches. additionally, PCB circuits can have anywhere from 1 to 8 layers. inter-layer communication is carried over something called a via (which is what the company VIA is actually named after -- fun fact!) which is just a metallized hole in a layer that connects to a trace on another layer. the maximum number of layers you would ever need on a cherry PCB is basically 2. if you're using more than that you're basically doing it wrong. topre PCBs are almost all 4-layer pcbs, but then again, they are capacitive, which is very very tricky to work out electrically, and they have no metal plates.

almost all production cherry or cherry-like boards these days use metal plates and the corresponding plate-mount cherry switches (although note that pcb-mount switches are fully plate-compatible, they just have extra studs to further attach themselves mechanically to the PCB. the plate thickness of a cherry switch is fixed at 0.06", or about 16 gauge in imperial sheet measurement terms. however, the material is completely open, and some keyboards have aluminum plates (NOT rigid, extremely flexible until you get to aerospace grade aluminum alloys), mild annealed steel (the least rigid of all steels, and what ducky tends to use), high carbon steels (which i'm not aware of anyone using) or stainless steel (i can confirm that most if not all of the CM Storm quickfire series uses a stainless steel alloy for their plates). i've written briefly about how solid i feel the CM storm stainless plates are. i also think the red powdercoated one looks BOSS. that said, like levar burton would say, "you don't have take my word on it.. take a look, it's in a book reading rainbow!"

ok it's a keyboard not a book, but you get the idea.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:20:51 »
What would be cool is a socket-mount switch, where you can just unplug a switch from the PCB rather than unsoldering it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:35:38 »
I would think most Realforce keyboards use a metal mounting plate. But then, of course, I have only seen the Swedish layout ones. The happy hacking has the sliders/slider mounts fitted directly into the plastic case. Other than that I have nothing to add.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:43:55 »
What would be cool is a socket-mount switch, where you can just unplug a switch from the PCB rather than unsoldering it.

Someone in China prototyped this, I can't find the thread right now.
I love Elzy

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:39:04 »
its actually quite an experience to desolder and solder new switches. most problems can be solved easily. Might be quite a tedious process but its quite fun actually!

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:42:12 »
I did this to my QFR, as long as you are okay with a solder iron you should be fine.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ