Author Topic: Where to lube Topre stems?  (Read 25529 times)

Offline Sniping

Where to lube Topre stems?
« on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 17:41:11 »
So I feel in love with the sound of the HHKB Type-S after watching this video (
) and I noticed that the Type-S in the video is lubed. Despite lube not having much of an effect on the sound of the board, this made me curious as to how one lubes a Topre switch. Does the whole stem get lubed or what? Tried doing some simple searches but I couldn't really find anything about how exactly the switches are lubed, can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Re: Where to lube Topre stems?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 18:07:13 »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 18:29:18 »
Damn lubing that HHKB made it dead silent.  My RF isn't even that quiet.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 18:55:06 »
woah, lubing the HHKB? **** i think i just have a new project to do :O

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:00:55 »
Thanks for the pic Bro! Is that the only place that needs to be lubed? Seems like a lot less lubing compared to MX.

Same guy posted another video of the lubed Type-S,
it sounds so good  :p

I think his mic is a bit quiet Akimbro, he has a 55g silenced RF clip and it sounds damn quiet, even quieter than the HHKB, I can barely hear it.

But this definitely seems like something cool for many Topre users to try, doesn't look like many people here on GH has attempted to lube their Topre boards. I wonder just how smooth Topre can get with lube.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:06:46 by Sniping »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:08:57 »
Thanks for the pic Bro! Is that the only place that needs to be lubed? Seems like a lot less lubing compared to MX.

Same guy posted another video of the lubed Type-S, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc9JaWbv2O0 it sounds so good  :p

I think his mic is a bit quiet Akimbro, he has a 55g silenced RF clip and it sounds damn quiet, even quieter than the HHKB, I can barely hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92sXtFyPzI

But this definitely seems like something cool for many Topre users to try, doesn't look like many people here on GH has attempted to lube their Topre boards. I wonder just how smooth Topre can get with lube.

That is the only place you should lube them to keep from making a terrible mess. Use a mixture of 205 grease and maybe 103 GPL, 50/50 mix. You can use a q-tip to spread it inside the corner nice and evenly.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:01:04 »
I know this is an old thread, but I'd love someone to write up the differences in feel / benefits of lubing topre switches. How does it affect tactility, smoothness, sound, etc? How did it go for you, Sniping?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:39:36 »
I know this is an old thread, but I'd love someone to write up the differences in feel / benefits of lubing topre switches. How does it affect tactility, smoothness, sound, etc? How did it go for you, Sniping?

There was this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27474.0

Then specifically getting to the point: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27474.msg557823#msg557823
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Sai

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:23:09 »
lubed my hhkbs and holy ****, the feeling is awesome.
normal pro version becomes quieter and type-s sounds almost the same as in the video.
the only bad thing is that i can't seem to lube the enter/Lshift key. :/
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:30:54 »
So I don't really feel much friction on a Topre. Is the lubing for that slight amount from when you don't press directly down in the middle on the keys and it brushes against it's switch housing?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:31:40 »
Where can I get the lube? Originative is still sold out.. The past couple months now.. >.<

Offline Sai

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:46:46 »
So I don't really feel much friction on a Topre. Is the lubing for that slight amount from when you don't press directly down in the middle on the keys and it brushes against it's switch housing?

honestly, i have no idea why i lubed mine. I feel no friction from topre like you said. I can only say I did it out of curiosity to see if there is any difference between lubed version and not lubed version. also coz of brocaps.  :p

Where can I get the lube? Originative is still sold out.. The past couple months now.. >.<
you can get krytox 205 from ebay and 103 from some website. i forgot the website though. WFD said something like $45 shipped for 103.
or you can wait until ming re-stock them on originative which should be this week as he stated here
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:49:54 by Sai »
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:55:07 »

honestly, i have no idea why i lubed mine. I feel no friction from topre like you said. I can only say I did it out of curiosity to see if there is any difference between lubed version and not lubed version. also coz of brocaps.  :p

you can get krytox 205 from ebay and 103 from some website. i forgot the website though. WFD said something like $45 shipped for 103.
or you can wait until ming re-stock them on originative which should be this week as he stated here

Oh nice, Thanks! I reminded him to restock a week ago ;) hehe

Offline Glissant

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 14:05:49 »
I did this to my hhkb pro2, and I really don't think it made a difference to a new board as the barrels were already pretty well lubed, but I'm sure it helps a little ;).

Thanks to Bro Caps for the picture of where to lube my sluts, I mean slots.

Offline boradori007

• I'm trippin bear balls.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:17:38 »
I did this to my hhkb pro2, and I really don't think it made a difference to a new board as the barrels were already pretty well lubed, but I'm sure it helps a little ;).

Thanks to Bro Caps for the picture of where to lube my sluts, I mean slots.
lol  :))

Offline lunr

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:29:32 »
First time trying to lube mine, how much lube would I need to apply to each corner? Would EK's Mechlube be sufficient?

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:36:55 »
First time trying to lube mine, how much lube would I need to apply to each corner? Would EK's Mechlube be sufficient?
you should use lube from techkeys instead of one from EK. I read that just tiny amount is good enough for each slot.

Offline lunr

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 13:41:41 »
you should use lube from techkeys instead of one from EK. I read that just tiny amount is good enough for each slot.

Thanks. I'm guessing I should be using the thick variant? or does it matter which kind of viscosity i should be using?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 13:44:21 »
I would say don't use too thick of a lube. Here's Bro Caps' suggestion that I followed.

Same guy posted another video of the lubed Type-S, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc9JaWbv2O0 it sounds so good  :p

I think his mic is a bit quiet Akimbro, he has a 55g silenced RF clip and it sounds damn quiet, even quieter than the HHKB, I can barely hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92sXtFyPzI

That is the only place you should lube them to keep from making a terrible mess. Use a mixture of 205 grease and maybe 103 GPL, 50/50 mix. You can use a q-tip to spread it inside the corner nice and evenly.

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:29:49 »
Does lubing the HHKB actually make a difference to the feel of the keys because even 45g feels to light for me :(

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:31:20 »
Does lubing the HHKB actually make a difference to the feel of the keys because even 45g feels to light for me :(

It changes the feel (keypresses become smoother) but it won't change the weight at all. Consider 55g!

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 21:36:33 »

It changes the feel (keypresses become smoother) but it won't change the weight at all. Consider 55g!

You went 55g? I thought your HHKB 45g was your only thorpe...
Well I'm glad you've seen the light.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 02:46:10 »

Thanks. I'm guessing I should be using the thick variant? or does it matter which kind of viscosity i should be using?
regular thick should be fine. Just avoid very thick.

Offline lunr

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:06:17 »
Ah great. Thanks!

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 03:26:16 »
Sorry for necroing this old topic. But I would just like to ask if a silicone based lube would be fine and if it would not have any side effects. I used to be a speed cuber and we we're using "Cyclo Silicone Spray" as lubes for our cube. It made the thing turn super smooth and super fast but I don't know if it had any side effects to the plastic whatsoever (I fear if it will have side effects on the rubber domes) in the long run.
|
HHKB Pro 2 Black (Blank) | HHKB Pro 2 White (Blank)