Author Topic: Rasberry Pi Mech  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Rasberry Pi Mech
« on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 18:22:32 »
So I saw the article at: http://www.geek.com/chips/modder-turns-mechanical-keyboard-into-rasberry-pi-powered-computer-1510315/

This seems like an interesting project. Does anyone know how to start?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Rasberry Pi Mech
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:36:55 »
"... it’s a practical weekend project ..." - something like that would take me months to do!

What would be cool is to use an actual C64 case and keyboard (if possible, or a custom 60%) with Retro DSA keycaps.

Running a C64 emulator and ... profit!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:40:10 »
Its time for me to finally buy a rasberry pi.

I'll probably end up taping the pi to the back of the case

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 20:20:53 »
I have been looking for an excuse to get a Pi, but unfortunately I don't think this would be it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 20:23:37 »
I have a G80-2500 that I took the pcb out of and put inside a compatible metal video editing case. It is massive and has tons of room inside. I was planning on hooking it up to a raspberry pi and making it a tank of a portable computer/keyboard. But I realized I would never use it :D So I just have it as a big ol' keyboard now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 21:06:31 »
So I saw the article at: http://www.geek.com/chips/modder-turns-mechanical-keyboard-into-rasberry-pi-powered-computer-1510315/
I wouldn't be surprised if that guy was a member here. I recall that a build like this has been discussed, but I have not found the thread (yet). (And no, it was a G80-3000, not a G80-11900)

What would be cool is to use an actual C64 case and keyboard (if possible, or a custom 60%) with Retro DSA keycaps.
Check out tlt's MeC64 project. Original Commodore 64 case and keycaps, but custom keyboard with Cherry MX switches with stem adapters.

Another option is the Keyrah controller for the original keyboard. However, there are many who feel that the cheap Mitsumi switches in it are inferior to Cherry MX.
🍉

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 21:11:28 »
I have been looking for an excuse to get a Pi, but unfortunately I don't think this would be it.

This is going to be my excuse to get a Pi.

Let's just hope they don't release a new version right after I get mine

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 21:31:16 »
🍉

Offline winged mantis

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 21:47:32 »

This seems like an interesting project. Does anyone know how to start?
You pretty much just mount the raspberry pi in the case and then get cable extensions for ethernet, hdmi, and sd card

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 22:03:52 »
You could probably also fit a 2.5" USB-connected HDD in a large enough keyboard case along with a Pi, then you'd just need video and network ports.  Or go WiFi and just need a video out.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 03:27:51 »
A pi in a ssk or a m0110... Hmm... :)

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 05:06:44 »
Great idea.

I have :
+ a Rasberry Pi
+ a G80-8200 "frankenboard"
Both are quite inactive

Should I ... hum ... feel tempting ...  ^-^
I like linear switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 05:34:18 »
Pi in SkiData = PiSkiData?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 19:24:59 »

I think once the Pis get powerful enough that I can do all kinds of arcade emulation on them, I'll probably pick one up as to put in my arcade and turn it into a Mame unit instead of the Killer Instinct JAMMA board I've got in there right now.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:14:03 »
I would like to do this with an Amiga 500 or 600 keyboard. Maybe one day when I have lots of time and some money on my hands...