Author Topic: What was your keyboard progression?  (Read 11447 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: What was your keyboard progression?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 20:05:00 »
I had a good Model M during the 1980s that finally died. Got a Dell AT101 with a Dell system in the 1990s and used it until Windows XP came out.

Then I bought a Compaq system that came with an SK-2800 (excellent rubber dome with media keys, I still think those are pretty good boards) and used that for several years (~ 2003-09). Then one day I was helping a ex-co-worker upgrade his computer gear and found another AT101 in his closet, which he gave me.

Shortly after, I got a Northgate Omnikey (with a couple of dead keys) at a salvage store and really liked it. Finally gave up on it and sold it for parts on ebay (today I would have known to transplant a couple of switches from the AT101!) and started researching mechanical keyboards, which landed me here. Surprise!

Reading various things convinced me that I needed a Model M. After getting it and reading other things here, I wanted to try a Model F. At that time XTs were dirt cheap ($10 + shipping) and it took a $50 Hagstrom converter to make them run. I did that but could not abide the layout, so I sold the XT with the Hagstrom on ebay for over $100 to an Apple employee in California to use at work! Eventually I acquired a really nice Model F AT but it mostly stays stored away.

Starting during this period, and continuing until the present day, I have bought dozens of keyboards at various ebay/salvage/yard sale/thrift store/dumpster diving and other venues, with a wide variety of switches. I really like Alps, and the Apple Extended keyboard is nice, Focus 2001, etc. I had a cool Alps branded board that I sold to jdcarpe so it found a good home. White Alps are just too heavy for me.

I have had a few Monterey blue keyboards and I LOVE those switches. SMK switches are great although I do not currently own them. Just today I got a black space invaders board and it seems much better than the white space invaders I tried a couple of years ago. I have had 2 different weird buckling spring knock-offs that were strange and basically sucked.

Cherry switches have never turned me on, although I keep a couple of G80-11900s around and my teenage son loves to game on them. I would like to have a TKL lightweight board with reds or browns and O-rings just for giggles. I was lucky to get in on the tours, and jailhouse blues and ergo clears really appeal to me, especially jailhouse blues. One day I may build one.

Sometime later (mid-2011?) Soarer revealed his magic and I pounced on the Model F 122-key terminal modified to near-ANSI with the Teensy and I have never left it for any substantial length of time since, although I will move it aside for a few minutes/hours/days at a time to test drive something else.

I have 3 prime F-122s which should last a lifetime (I am 61.5 after all) and my "permanent vintage collection" stored away in the basement consists of 3 Model Ms (a heavily modded and upgraded 1390131 and a dead stock 1390131 from 1986, and an unmodified 1391401 from 1991), an un-modded F AT (which I want to ANSI mod and add Alt keys), G80-11900 with O-rings, AEK and AEK2, Chicony 5181, and soon to include the black space invaders DTK and a Dell AT101 with blue and orange Alps transplanted into it.

Plus a box of at least half a dozen really good rubber domes and a super-tiny Logitech that fits in a laptop bag.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 20:07:53 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Larken

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:46:29 »
Filco Majestouch Brown
Ducky 1087 Brown
Cherry G80-3494 Reds
Unicomp 104 Classic
Cherry G80-8113 Clears
CM QFR Blues with UTKL plate

Those were the stock boards I'd tried before I decided to get my hands dirty and try modding, which brought me to basically the same boards, but switch modding which included

1. Multiple variants of ergoclears, lubed and unlubed (going from superlube to krytox), all weights from stock mx 45, to korean 55-65.
2. Blues with clear springs
3. Reds with clear springs
4. and other assorted combinations

After a period of trial and error, I built my ergodox with 55g ergoclears, which remain my daily board to this day. This was eventually followed by another ergodox with 62g clears, which is still nice, but I prefer 55g. The ergodox kept me from getting other boards like topre/alps to try out, as I have no wish to return to a staggered layout again (which also really helped the wallet). I like BS, but I can't get used to using it for extended periods of time. 

Looking forward to the time when Acidfire's boards are out and I'd probably break this no-buying thing I have going now.

I'd given away most of my stock boards to family and friends except for a few I thought I would miss. Planning to eventually mod the rest of what's, but haven't had the motivation to do anymore for a while after completing the filco recently.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 22:01:40 »
Filco MJ2 w/ Browns
CM QFR w/ Blues
IMSTO Thick PBT caps (for MJ2)
Filco 104 w/ Reds (to replace the QFR)
A couple sets of PBT caps for 104
Leopold FC660C (to replace Filco 104)

Now I am packing my FC660C around with me: Home -> Work -> Home -> (repeat)...

So it seems that the FC660C has replaced all of them.  Haha.  For now anyway...

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 22:07:28 »
Leopold 200R (MX Brown) -> QFR (65g clears, 62g clears) -> RealForce 103UB (55g) -> RealForce 87U (55g)

I'm pretty satisfied with the Topre switch. I may want to try the the 45g Topre switch on something like a RealForce or the future CM Topre-MX hybrid. The HHKB felt a bit underwhelming...possibly due to all the plastic.

Offline dante

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 22:07:59 »
leopold 87 mx brown (x2)
cherry g80-11900 ghetto red
siig minitouch
filco 87 mx black
wyse pce 900866-1 vintage mx black
dell quiettouch thailand
SGI Granite (dampened alps)
keycool 87 mx clear
leopold 87 mx black (x2)
cm storm qfr 87 mx black
logitech ultra-x
logitech illuminated
cm storm qfr 87 mx blue
unicomp kentucky wildcats
steelseries 6gv2 mx black
tte meka g1 mx black
das 2 (x3)
dell kb1421
wasd v1 104 mx black barebones
deck legend 105 frost tactile mx clear
realforce 86ub 45g
kbc poker mx black
kbc poker mx red
ibm m4-1
cherry g84-4100
zenith zkb-2 linear green alps
dell at101w black alps (x3)
ducky 1087xm green (x2)
ducky 2108 zero mx red
matias quiet pro
apple iigs smk white alps
dtk graf space invaders
nmb space invaders
ibm terminal m
ibm m2

and a few m's.  I'm forgetting a few probably but these came to mind.

I won't say what my favorite is - what a joke - I change my mind all the damn time.

I will say typing height/profile and ability to use comfortably without a wrist rest is more important than the type of switch.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2013, 19:15:12 by dante »

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 22:12:39 »
Woah, I had no idea you went through that many boards, dante. How many of those do you still have? Which switches/keyboards are you settling down for, if any?

Offline dante

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 23:06:54 »
Woah, I had no idea you went through that many boards, dante. How many of those do you still have? Which switches/keyboards are you settling down for, if any?

I only have a couple boards; I'm somewhat of a minimalist.

It's hard to narrow down but I'll try:

When it comes to high speed racing for slips $$$ typing competition keyboard - not necessarily just good feeling but something to push oceans of text from brain into the computer as fast as humanely possible (think cmdr data) it's: M2 > Apple IIGS (A9M0330) SMK White Alps > Cherry MX Brown.  All other switches just hold me back and slow me down in some way.

For gaming - I mostly play FPS - for mass produced keyboards I've stated/restated like a skipping CD: The Tte Meka G1 is the best Cherry MX Black board I've ever tried.  The keycaps are crap and completely too tall (for me) for typing but the switches in this feel brilliant.  I swear they feel lubed and 5g-10g lighter!  Even the WASD V1 which is a clone doesn't feel as good as this.  Other than Wyse boards I've never had a better experience with MX Blacks out of the box.  There are smatterings of reviews on Amazon/Newegg also backing this up; if you hated MX Blacks because of the stiffness and think the MX Reds are too light - see if you test one out at Microcenter/Fry's.

So ... typing M2, gaming Meka G1
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 23:11:03 by dante »

Offline Tony

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 01:17:14 »

I still keep all the keyboards, selfish I am
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 01:23:41 »
After the generic Dell kbs...

1) Creative Fatal1ty White & Black 104 Normal Keys USB Slim Gaming Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823200007

2) Filco Majestouch 2 FKBN104MC/EB (Cherry MX Blues)

3) IBM Model M

4) Realforce 104U

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 01:34:51 »
Race ---> Poker ---> LZ-GH ---> Phantom (still just a PCB)
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline mapple

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 06:22:01 »
1. model m as a kido -->
2. long years with shi**y rubber domes, ergonomic/gaming/sluggish -->
3. razer blackwidow ultimate (brown cherry) -->
4. blackwidow (blue) -->
5. steelseries 6gv2  (black cherry). -->
6. unicomp model m -->
7. hhkb/realforce borrowed from friend -->
8. qpad (red cherry)
9. filco mj (brown cherry)
10. IBM MODEL M -->
11 Ducky g2 pro/PBT (green cherry) -->
12. IBM MODEL M2 -->
13. Waiting for delivery ducky shine 3 tkl (cherry blue).
In God We Trust

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 07:46:38 »
Started with various rubber dome keyboards.  Last couple were a Saitek with adjustable colored backlighting then a Wolf King gaming board with a gaming cluster on the left with the other part essentially being a 75% board.  After that I bought myself a costar built Das with browns.  His is currently my own mech board but am in the process of building my own.  (build log in my sig).
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 07:55:44 »
Rubber Domes
Leopold FC200R in Browns
Quickfire Rapid in Blues and Greens

Haven't left Greens yet. So perfect!
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 08:25:03 »
Atari 800 -> Atari 800XE -> Gateway AnyKey -> Northgate OmniKey 101 -> Avant Stellar Prime ->  Noppoo (MX Blues) -> Keycool (MX Reds) -> Filco (MX Blues) -> SSK -> KMAC LE (MX Greens) -> Filco (MX Blues) ->  Realforce 91U -> IBM F XT -> IBM F AT -> IBM 5251 Beam Spring and Realforce 104UG Hi-Prof.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 08:32:37 »
QFR w/ Blues -->
Topre Type Heaven

I really want to grab my self a 60% board next.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:36:20 »
I've used way too many keyboards... definitely more than fifty... To name a few:

Logitech UltraX
Genius LuxeMate i200
Dell Multimedia Pro
LiteOn SK-6000
SteelSeries 6Gv2 w/ Cherry MX Black
Lenovo SK-8855
TypeMatrix 2030
Noppoo Choc Mini w/ Cherry MX Red
ErgoDox w/ Cherry MX Clear

Offline elton5354

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:45:27 »
Logitech G15
Ducky Shine MX Blue- first mech kb
CM QFR MX Red
Leopold FCR 200 MX Clears
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Blues
Poker X MX Black
Poker X MX Blue
KBT Pure MX Blue
Poker X modded with MX Blue, MX White, MX Red
LZ GH MX Clear 62g
Duck Mini V2 w/ Matias Clicky ALPS
KMAC Happy MX Clears 62g - Currently using

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:48:56 by elton5354 »

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:52:11 »
Generic Rubber Domes
CM Quickfire Rapid
Model M - Industrial Case
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 01:07:50 »
First mech was probably back in the 90's when we bought our first home computer.  After that, a Compaq with Alps at work for a bit.  The first one I owned personally was an SGI Granite with Alps, a gift from work along with 3 decommissioned SGI servers/workstations.  After that, a Model M.  Neither of which got too heavy usage as my forearms just couldn't handle them.  First mech I've specifically purchased to use is the Ducky G2 Pro I'm currently using.  I still have to be careful with my typing now that I'm not on an MS ergo but being on a mech keyboard is nice.

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 05:13:40 »
My first mechanical keyboard was a Ducky Shine 2 TKL with MX reds, coming from the Razer Lycosa it was one of the best upgrades ever.

Ducky Shine 2 TKL MX red > Ducky Shine 2 MX blue > Ducky Shine 2 MX blue > Ducky Shine 3 MX blue

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 14:32:58 »
A list of my keyboards (in chronological order):
-Xarmor U9W (mx blues)
-Nopoo Choc Mini (mx blacks)
-Nopoo Choc Mini (mx reds)
-CM Storm QFR (mx reds)
-Filco TKL (mx blacks)
-Unicomp Model M
-IBM AT F
-IBM XT F
-Filco Ninja TKL (mx brown)
-Filco Camo (mx blue)
-Filco Camo (mx brown)
-Dell AT101 (black alps)
-KMAC LE (ergo clears)
-KMAC Mini (62g mx blacks)
-IBM F122
-KMAC Mini (65g mx blacks)
-SGI Granite (dampened cream alps)
-SIIG minitouch (xm alps)
-SGI (dampened white alps)
-Dolch PAC (mx blue)
-Omnikey 101 (white alps)
-Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
-Zenith ZKB2 (yellow alps)
-IBM SSK
-Dell AT101W (black alps)
-Apple M106 (orange alps)
-CM Storm QFR (mx greens)
-PLUM 96 (mx browns)
-Vortex RACE LE (mx browns)
-Filco Zero (orange alps)
-Old logo Dell AT101 (salmon alps)
-Realforce EK Edition 87ub (45g uniform)
-Chicony KB5181 (mont blues)
-Chicony KB5161 (blue alps)
-Mkawa SSK.R
-Mtek M104 (mont blues)
-Leading Edge DC3014 (blue alps)
-Computerland (blue alps)
-Realforce 87u (55g uniform)
-HHKB Type S
-Kingsaver (matias quiet click alps)
-Kingsaver (blue alps)
-Kingsaver (salmon alps)

Holy crap my wallet.  I'm getting off of this site now!

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 14:42:01 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 14:52:26 »
- TVS-e GOLD (MX Blue) (SOLD)
- BlackWidow Ultimate (MX Blue) (SOLD)
- TVS-e GOLD (MX Blue) (With parents)
- Ducky ZERO DK2108 (MX Blue) (SOLD)
- CM QFR (MX Blue)
- ErgoDox (MX Blue 80g)
- Unicomp PC122

I rotate between the ErgoDox, and the Unicomp PC122, one I love for the layout, the other for the feel. I just tried Matias Clicky which I got from 7bit, and the feel really good, better than MX blue, so I might try build a Alps ErgoDox/60%.

I really enjoyed the building the ErgoDox, and have this itch to try and make as many different layouts, to see if there is something I might prefer more and just to build a collection :D, so got a few PCBs coming in and cases cut up.