Author Topic: Montreal meet-up 11 April 2015  (Read 23110 times)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: Montreal meet-up 11 April 2015
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:16:40 »
Dangnabbit, can't believe I missed this!  :(

CaptainBadass (famous member) is supposed to come to Montreal on June and there's supposed to be another meetup when he comes. Stay tuned on GH if you don't want to miss it!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:29:44 »

If this is Hall Effect, I really want it. mmmmmm, It's even nicer than that HE numpad with the highly painted surface!

And please put nicer caps on that Skeldon dorkvader!

Thanks for the pictures :D

https://imgur.com/a/bQsVb

Images will pop here once uploaded. I just got this camera from a friend so the pics are not so great quality, but hope it gives a good idea of the crazy catalog of keyboards there were.

En r�sum�,

1) I need a lightsaver, for self defence and for typing!
2) Beamspring is one of my favorite so far
3) Topre 55g no more
4) I need a thumbstick on my keyboard
5) Model Fs are great!
6) You folks are great company!
7) Edit: I need a keyboard with the hall effect spacebar. SO NICE

Too bad I will miss the next meet-up in june, but I'll be in JP so hopefully I can bring back some interesting keyboards :)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 14:03:44 »
http://imgur.com/a/HtuSU

That's my set of pictures.

I have that video of people typing on various keyboards as well as that video of swill doing all his soldering and such.

Also I owe swill something the next time I see him

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2015, 14:18:57 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 20:49:17 »
Show Image

If this is Hall Effect, I really want it. mmmmmm, It's even nicer than that HE numpad with the highly painted surface!

Yep hall effect. tripleshots. latching "keyboard lock" switch.

I happen to have two of them. This is the one I haven't cleaned the caps on yet.

The other one is a full on video editor computer system from the early 1980's. since it weighs about 30 lbs i left it at home this time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/sets/72157639678586953/

(add that to the list of kb pics to re shoot)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2015, 20:54:03 by dorkvader »

Offline JPG

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 21:35:55 »
Show Image

Yep hall effect. tripleshots. latching "keyboard lock" switch.

I happen to have two of them. This is the one I haven't cleaned the caps on yet.

The other one is a full on video editor computer system from the early 1980's. since it weighs about 30 lbs i left it at home this time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/sets/72157639678586953/

(add that to the list of kb pics to re shoot)

Holy mother of keyboards, that thing is a beast! BTW, what do you use to clean them? Any product in specific for the pcb or the switches?

Also, nice pictures everyone!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:00:12 »

CaptainBadass (famous member) is supposed to come to Montreal on June and there's supposed to be another meetup when he comes. Stay tuned on GH if you don't want to miss it!

Lol i dunno about famous. Maybe #3 spammer on Geekhack but thank you for the kind words. I've confirmed I'll be in MTL in June and I've told swill. I'll leave it to him with how he'd like to proceed.

Offline JPG

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:03:45 »

Lol i dunno about famous. Maybe #3 spammer on Geekhack but thank you for the kind words. I've confirmed I'll be in MTL in June and I've told swill. I'll leave it to him with how he'd like to proceed.

What date are you coming? I am out of country from 9 to 16 approximately so if it's not in these dates I will do my best to attend!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:05:00 »
LOL what bad luck :(. 6/7 - 6/12. Maybe we could do poutine or something delicious foodwise right before you leave?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:46:34 »

Holy mother of keyboards, that thing is a beast! BTW, what do you use to clean them? Any product in specific for the pcb or the switches?

Also, nice pictures everyone!

i use non alcohol wet wipes. they are "off brand" and cheaper. I got non alcohol by mistake and haven't used them all yet. i just sit down with something to clean every time i watch tv\

i'll make a note to weigh the bigger brother when i take it out to photo.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 00:33:05 »

I have that video of people typing on various keyboards as well as that video of swill doing all his soldering and such.

Show Image

OMG how did you make that? Is it a chording keyboard or a datahand prototype?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 02:52:53 »

Show Image

OMG how did you make that? Is it a chording keyboard or a datahand prototype?

Originally meant for 1 handed chording.
Might see what fun applications I can make with both together. Just need the teensy+coding and I'm all set =)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 16:10:44 »
Show Image

I re shot pictures of the "bigger brother" texscan unit (with clean keycaps) here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/sets/72157651603359937/

Still trying to figure out how to get the full res from my new phone

weight of unit is 19 lbs 7 oz = 8800 g
 weight of the unit at canada: 7 lbs = 3200 g
weight of the green / yellow one is 7lbs 7 oz = 3370 g

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 16:25:59 »
Yummy. And why not just setup dropbox on your phone so it shoots it to your DropBox right when you take the pictures?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 19:26:27 »
Yummy. And why not just setup dropbox on your phone so it shoots it to your DropBox right when you take the pictures?

because then i have to download them off dropbox  and upload them to flickr. i am using onedrive now and this is the problem. i think the best is to sync the photos to my computer automatically when i plug it in and then upload them from there.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 07:25:02 »
The Flickr app will do auto uploads like Dropbox as well.

Offline JPG

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 07:56:56 »
Show Image

I re shot pictures of the "bigger brother" texscan unit (with clean keycaps) here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/sets/72157651603359937/
Show Image

Still trying to figure out how to get the full res from my new phone

weight of unit is 19 lbs 7 oz = 8800 g
 weight of the unit at canada: 7 lbs = 3200 g
weight of the green / yellow one is 7lbs 7 oz = 3370 g

When your keyboard has a fan, you're in business. Serious business.

Also, how do the angled keys feel? Are they as smooth as the non-angled ones?

And do you know if the Hall Effect switches have the part that changes the high/low values of the sensor into an on/off signal inside the switch or if this job is done by the controller?

Anyway, badass keyboard, badass keycaps, just sad it's so damn big!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 09:16:27 »

that's what i used to do

And do you know if the Hall Effect switches have the part that changes the high/low values of the sensor into an on/off signal inside the switch or if this job is done by the controller?

the kb unit itself is the same as the one i brought with me. both it and the green one with yellow function keys have angled stems. in fact i think all hall effect with sculpted profile have angled stems. the keys are more scratchy than the one i brought since it's more used and i haven't cleaned the switches yet (corrosionx is supposed to work wonders)

all the high / low sensing (and debounce) is handled by the sensor itself. it output about 3v when pressed which is brought  to 5v by pullup resistors. some boards are 5v unpressed and pull down to 0v when pressed but that is all handled by the kb hardware (outside switch and before controller)

sadly most of these kbs are set up as 1kro, though some strobe the colums for nkro.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 09:29:07 by dorkvader »

Offline JPG

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 09:32:38 »

there is no flickr app for my phone

the kb unit itself is the same as the one i brought with me. both it and the green one with yellow function keys have angled stems. in fact i think all hall effect with sculpted profile have angled stems. the keys are more scratchy than the one i brought since it's more used and i haven't cleaned the switches yet (corrosionx is supposed to work wonders)

all the high / low sensing (and debounce) is handled by the sensor itself. it output about 3v when pressed which is brought  to 5v by pullup resistors. some boards are 5v unpressed and pull down to 0v when pressed but that is all handled by the kb hardware (outside switch and before controller)

sadly most of these kbs are set up as 1kro, though some strobe the colums for nkro.

Oh so it's handled on the pcb. I am curious because I watched a few video on youtube about hall effect sensors and in some of them there's an included part that reacts to the high/low property of the sensor and converts the high/low to on/off (if I understood right). But on another video, the guy mentions that this is irrelevant if plugged in a controller because the controller can decide to do whatever he wants with the signal.

I am pretty new to electronics but by knowing that, I assume that the controller can detect the voltage that comes back and then a programmer could decide to do whatever he wants with the signal. I didn't know such a thing but if it's true that would make it much easier to make a controller work for Hall Effect. All you would need to do is to wire all the switches with a traditional row/columns setup with diodes and scan the current column by column and then all the controller would need to do compared to a normal mech keyboard would be to convert the high/low value to on/off and pass the signal to the standard code.

I really need to start reading about these teensies lol!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 21:42:14 »

Oh so it's handled on the pcb. I am curious because I watched a few video on youtube about hall effect sensors and in some of them there's an included part that reacts to the high/low property of the sensor and converts the high/low to on/off (if I understood right). But on another video, the guy mentions that this is irrelevant if plugged in a controller because the controller can decide to do whatever he wants with the signal.

I am pretty new to electronics but by knowing that, I assume that the controller can detect the voltage that comes back and then a programmer could decide to do whatever he wants with the signal. I didn't know such a thing but if it's true that would make it much easier to make a controller work for Hall Effect. All you would need to do is to wire all the switches with a traditional row/columns setup with diodes and scan the current column by column and then all the controller would need to do compared to a normal mech keyboard would be to convert the high/low value to on/off and pass the signal to the standard code.

I really need to start reading about these teensies lol!

yeah, i gave a talk on them at keycon  last summer but it was pretty dry. one of these days, i'll write up a thing on them but not right now.

to get an idea of how it works and how it debounces, look up the drawings at the end of this article http://deskthority.net/wiki/Honeywell_Hall_Effect and especially the hallbook i found http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.php?ci_id=47847

now the hallbook is about hall sensors in general but the beginning is all theory that explains it well, and the last 80 or so pages are applications (non kb related for the most part.)

the debounce is handled by a schmitt trigger. basically there's the hall element, the "balance" transistors (that amplify the difference), and the schmitt trigger that adds hysterisis and debounce, then the output pins.

so it's almost all handled by the hall sensor itself, leaving the controller to do the really easy task of determining if there's 5v or not there. this was a big deal in 1968 when processing things like debounce was a lot harder than it is today.

if you're interested in it, i'd love to chat sometime. i really like these hall switches and i want to get these kbs working!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 23:09:42 »
Nobody happened to find a granite X key did they?

Can't seem to find it and I know I brought my granite set with me...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:19:47 »

It has not turned up here at the office.  :(  I will keep an eye out for it though...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:22:28 »
If there's anyone who wants to hang out while I'm in the MTL, I should be in town 6/7 - 6/13 or 6/14. Someone should take me retro video game hunting...just saying ;).

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:26:12 »
If there's anyone who wants to hang out while I'm in the MTL, I should be in town 6/7 - 6/13 or 6/14. Someone should take me retro video game hunting...just saying ;).

I'll definitely meet up!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:43:20 »
Are there any cool audiophile stores to check out GL1TCH3D? Would love to check out some new gear.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:47:31 »
Are there any cool audiophile stores to check out GL1TCH3D? Would love to check out some new gear.

Of course of course

There's Layton audio, my personal favorite. Lots of variety for the personal audio lover (headphones).

There's Son Ideal which deals mostly with mid end speakers

Then there's audioshop for high end speaker systems and a small collection of headphones. Up until this year they were the only ones carrying Stax in Montreal (and probably one of a handful in Canada) but Layton recently took their spot.

Of course I can accompany you to those. The owners of Layton are very picky people, they don't like people trying the higher end stuff with no intention of buying, even if you know them and such. The owners/employees at audio shop are much more lenient in that respect and as long as you're friendly / know your stuff they'll let you try.

There's also MaxAudio but I hate the owner and he hates me. It's too bad about the timing because I'm aiming for an audio meet mid August.

Offline s0nia

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 23:24:10 »

I could take you retro video game hunting   :D It's one of my favourite pastimes!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:05:45 »

I've been out of the country so I'll double check my stuff tonight. I can give you the alpha colored 'ANY KEY' if you like? :)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 13:19:27 »

I've been out of the country so I'll double check my stuff tonight. I can give you the alpha colored 'ANY KEY' if you like? :)

But the X key ain't just ANY KEY =P

SP sent me a replacement X key at least so I'm not too worried

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 16:13:47 »
Montreal fam, I'll be in your lovely city next week. Who wants to eat poutine, beavertails, and ice cream with me?
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2015, 16:20:06 by CPTBadAss »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 23:27:33 »
Montreal fam, I'll be in your lovely city next week. Who wants to eat poutine, beavertails, and ice cream with me?

Mememememe!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 20:07:53 »
GL1TCH3D and I played headphones and fountain pens. And ate smoked meat. Ya'll missed out :D