Author Topic: Montreal meet-up 11 April 2015  (Read 23111 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Montreal meet-up IC
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 00:15:14 »
I have the place all day, so that is not a limiting factor.

My main limiting factor is the train schedule to get downtown on the weekend.  One train arrives at 9:00AM and the next arrives at Noon.   The trains that I can catching to head home are at 5:30PM and 10:30PM. 

I suspect I will probably plan to arrive at 9:00AM and leave at 5:30PM.  Not sure how long we want, so I am just planning to be there most of the day to be safe.  There are a bunch of pubs around the corner if we get bored.  :P

I may be able to take the car, but I am not going to plan for that since I suspect my wife will want it to go do stuff while I am out.
I'd be more than happy to drive you around.

Alps is probably what I'm most interested in =P

Along with SA sets. Would also like to see SA on Novatouch to compare to HiPro topre
I'll see if I can get my hands on a novatouch. I do want to buy one eventually mainly because novatouch + SA keycaps is really sublime. I prefer it to standard topre, though havent tried a/b with hipro. I think i'm not the only one who wants to do that comparison.

If I get the job I interviewed for today I will absolutely be buying and then bringing a novatouch.

Only if this was around May..

I believe that CPTBadAss will be in town from June 6-12th (to be confirmed), so we will likely do round 2 then.  Maybe that is possible?  Those are excellent dates to be in Montreal, it is beautiful then...
Round 2 dates (to be confirmed). I'll plan to be there.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2015, 00:21:56 by dorkvader »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 01:10:29 »
I am wondering... with Dorkvader bringing more than his weight in keyboards to the meetup, how much are the fuel costs for 10 hours worth of return journey driving with 150lbs of boards on board?

Some geek wants to calculate this for fun?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 05:10:23 »
I am wondering... with Dorkvader bringing more than his weight in keyboards to the meetup, how much are the fuel costs for 10 hours worth of return journey driving with 150lbs of boards on board?

It's not significant relative to the weight of the car..

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 05:28:05 »
Or a person lol

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 11:05:53 »

You guys are no fun.

My car is rated for 35 MPG highway and I usually get 32-36 depending on how fast I drive. Curb weight is listed at 2800 Lb, Ming removed at least 400 Lb of material from the car making it at most 2400 Lb. If I add back that 400 Lb as me (130 Lbs) plus keyboards (260 Lbs), the percent difference in weight is (2400-2800)/(2400) = 17%, which is quite a bit actually. I suspect I might be carrying more than 260 Lbs of keyboards, but it'll depend a lot on what I bring.

Now, fuel economy is based most on speed and RPM, but we can assume that'll be the same if I have keyboards (or a passsenger) or not. After that, fuel economy is based exponentially on wind resistance, but we are also assuming my driving habits and the amount of trucks I drive behind will be the same. Finally, the third factor it's based on is weight (which affects resistance) and I believe it scales linearly.

So we can guess that I'll use as much as 15% more fuel on the way.

Now the whole trip is 600 miles, so unladen I expect to use 17 gallons of fuel, and laden I expect to use 19-20 gallons. The price difference would be about $7, which I think is probably worth it.

I just thought of something: I don't have any canadian currency handy. If someone wants to buy gas for me in canada I will be happy to pay them back via payapl.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 11:32:02 »

Or a person lol

You guys (TP and onewolf) clearly are not Model F fanatics like Dorkvader and you haven't noticed that he listed an entire army of beam springs and Model Fs.

I was expecting him to bring more than his weight in keyboards, but wasn't even expecting 2x his weight in keyboards. But it makes sense, given that many boards that he is bringing have full metal casings and nearly every model he has listed is 10++ lbs each. I think the Skeldon must be Dorkvader's lightest keyboard.

That said, I don't feel very good about Dorkvader's testimony that 'Ming removed 400lbs of material from my car'. Sam, what 400lbs of material would that be? I trust the spare tyre and toolbox are not among the stuff Ming removed? :eek:
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 11:38:05 »
So sad that this is right in the thick of my exam period, or I'd be 100% down to join the Toronto contingent.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

I believe that CPTBadAss will be in town from June 6-12th (to be confirmed), so we will likely do round 2 then.  Maybe that is possible?  Those are excellent dates to be in Montreal, it is beautiful then...

Will see if I can swing this once dates are confirmed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2015, 11:40:16 by user 18 »
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 20:52:17 »
That said, I don't feel very good about Dorkvader's testimony that 'Ming removed 400lbs of material from my car'. Sam, what 400lbs of material would that be? I trust the spare tyre and toolbox are not among the stuff Ming removed? :eek:

The rear was stripped out: no panels or sound deadening. The rear seats were removed (though I do still have them) and most of the rest came out of the suspension when it was upgraded. Even the radio was removed. It's just an estimate but you'd be surprised what all that plastic panelling weighs.

So sad that this is right in the thick of my exam period, or I'd be 100% down to join the Toronto contingent.

I'm also about 5 hours from Toronto, so when CPTbadass is in Montreal we can have a KB convention in Toronto instead :p

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 21:42:57 »

The rear was stripped out: no panels or sound deadening. The rear seats were removed (though I do still have them) and most of the rest came out of the suspension when it was upgraded. Even the radio was removed. It's just an estimate but you'd be surprised what all that plastic panelling weighs.

I'm also about 5 hours from Toronto, so when CPTbadass is in Montreal we can have a KB convention in Toronto instead

Yes please, do want.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:54:49 »

You guys are no fun.

My car is rated for 35 MPG highway and I usually get 32-36 depending on how fast I drive. Curb weight is listed at 2800 Lb, Ming removed at least 400 Lb of material from the car making it at most 2400 Lb. If I add back that 400 Lb as me (130 Lbs) plus keyboards (260 Lbs), the percent difference in weight is (2400-2800)/(2400) = 17%, which is quite a bit actually. I suspect I might be carrying more than 260 Lbs of keyboards, but it'll depend a lot on what I bring.

Now, fuel economy is based most on speed and RPM, but we can assume that'll be the same if I have keyboards (or a passsenger) or not. After that, fuel economy is based exponentially on wind resistance, but we are also assuming my driving habits and the amount of trucks I drive behind will be the same. Finally, the third factor it's based on is weight (which affects resistance) and I believe it scales linearly.

Now the whole trip is 600 miles, so unladen I expect to use 17 gallons of fuel, and laden I expect to use 19-20 gallons. The price difference would be about $7, which I think is probably worth it.

I just thought of something: I don't have any canadian currency handy. If someone wants to buy gas for me in canada I will be happy to pay them back via payapl.

DONT buy gas in Canada. Full you car before crossing the lines. Gas has like 100% taxes in Canada, cost at least twice in Canada than in US as far as I know, so even your 20% gain in CA$ won't be enough lol!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 20:06:19 »
DONT buy gas in Canada. Full you car before crossing the lines. Gas has like 100% taxes in Canada, cost at least twice in Canada than in US as far as I know, so even your 20% gain in CA$ won't be enough lol!
Good to know. My car has a pretty long range so I think I'll be fine as long as I fill up in Burlington Vt. (100 mi from montreal, I have a range of ~300 mi, and getting one or two gallons in Canada won't ruin me.)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 20:31:52 »
It's more like a 25% gain right now, actually :(

Gas prices right now are around a dollar per litre in Ontario, which translates to around $3.80 a gallon, which is $3.00 USD a gallon. Is gas that much cheaper in the states, or that much more expensive in QC? Last time I was in the states I seem to recall it being in the 3-4 dollar range, but I could be misremembering. That was a couple years ago, regardless.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:05:56 »
Good to know. My car has a pretty long range so I think I'll be fine as long as I fill up in Burlington Vt. (100 mi from montreal, I have a range of ~300 mi, and getting one or two gallons in Canada won't ruin me.)
Yes. This is really important. Gas is more than twice the price up here.  Fill up at Swanton which is like 5 miles from the border.  If you have any questions about the trip, let me know. I have driven it about 20 times (if not more).

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:08:15 »
It's more like a 25% gain right now, actually :(

Gas prices right now are around a dollar per litre in Ontario, which translates to around $3.80 a gallon, which is $3.00 USD a gallon. Is gas that much cheaper in the states, or that much more expensive in QC? Last time I was in the states I seem to recall it being in the 3-4 dollar range, but I could be misremembering. That was a couple years ago, regardless.
Its 1.20$ right now, but it has been ranging between 1.20 and 1.50 recently...

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 09:20:08 »
We need a Toronto meet up!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 09:23:53 »
If we do a Toronto meet up I will definitely be in.
Possibly with NIB French dye subs.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline random_rockets

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 09:32:20 »

You guys are no fun.

Now we could say let's compensate him 7$, but I say we get him some good Quebec beer instead ;)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 09:55:31 »
I imagine you might be better off waiting until you're back in the USA for gas.

$100/gallon is quite excessive here (obvious sarcasm intended)

But at $1.2-1.3/litre it gets farly expensive

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 11:16:09 »
last time I filled up here in Reading it cost about $1.60 for premium.

Thanks for all the advice, swill.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:27:04 »
Bumpity.

Everyone is still good?

I'll be bringing a friend. He's kind of interested and has an MX blacks along with a code tkl with greens. He'll also be carrying my SSK.

Offline JPG

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:36:19 »
Still good for me. Can't wait to see you all!

Offline DeviAchariya

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:16:25 »
Ohh! I just saw this now! Would this be during the day? I'd really like to participate. I have a Ducky Shine Mini with Cherry MX Blues and PBT DSA blank keycaps (and other caps if people would like to swap.)

I'm in Montreal.
Ducky Shine Mini
    [my first!]

Offline Altis

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:00:24 »
Not sure what I can add. Monterey Blues and space invaders? KPT alps are unique, and 55g 87UW.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:03:49 »
Not sure what I can add. Monterey Blues and space invaders? KPT alps are unique, and 55g 87UW.

Would love to try all of those!

I don't have anything quite unique =S

Offline Altis

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:16:15 »

The NMB should be restored by then. I've been meaning to build a new case for the Chicony as the switches are nice but the case is super tinny and hollow sounding. I think it'd be a nicer experience with a solid case.

If I'm lucky, I'll have the 87U with 45g uniform by then as well, but it's not that likely considering shipping to Canada.

If there's anything from my signature I should bring, let me know.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:19:04 »

The NMB should be restored by then. I've been meaning to build a new case for the Chicony as the switches are nice but the case is super tinny and hollow sounding. I think it'd be a nicer experience with a solid case.

If I'm lucky, I'll have the 87U with 45g uniform by then as well, but it's not that likely considering shipping to Canada.

are they clicky spaceinvaders or linear? I tried clicky for about 30 seconds at keycon and really want to try again.

AT-101 would be good too.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:24:54 »
Ohh! I just saw this now! Would this be during the day? I'd really like to participate. I have a Ducky Shine Mini with Cherry MX Blues and PBT DSA blank keycaps (and other caps if people would like to swap.)

I'm in Montreal.

Ya, during the day.  I will post the actual address as we get a little closer to the date.  Because of the trains, I will probably arrive at like 9:30 AM to unlock the place and I will have to leave by 5 PM.  Not sure what time will work best for most people, but we probably want to focus on like a 3-4 hour block to try to get as many people together at the same time as possible.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:29:29 »

I'm going to be bringing 45g regular and hipro

I've only owned cherry, topre (30/45) and model m.

Never got any alps or other vintage boards

Offline Altis

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:32:20 »
are they clicky spaceinvaders or linear? I tried clicky for about 30 seconds at keycon and really want to try again.

AT-101 would be good too.

I have two NMBs that are both clicky. Keep in mind that you can make any of the switches from clicky to linear by removing the little white piece from the switch (easy to do). Only the full-on tactile switches are different as they have a notch in the leaf contacts.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 15:53:50 »
Yeah I know but mine are both linear. Cant wait to try clicky

Offline JPG

Re: Montreal meet-up 11 Avril 2015
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 13:06:00 »
Updated the title and my first post so invite people to read second post!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 13:54:05 »
My mobik is 55g ergo clear

I can also bring my regular profile 45g topre realforce

And SSK

And cherry MX green
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2015, 13:57:50 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline random_rockets

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 22:58:41 »
I got my my winkeyless mini pcb+case but no switches yet. not sure if people wanna gawk at a naked keyboard, but willing to bring them if anyone wants (also got some clear acrylic screws custom ordered in)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 21:23:52 »
I got my my winkeyless mini pcb+case but no switches yet. not sure if people wanna gawk at a naked keyboard, but willing to bring them if anyone wants (also got some clear acrylic screws custom ordered in)
what switches do you need? I can bring my soldering iron and we'll build it there.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:03:43 »
We can all solder on a switch!

Offline random_rockets

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:55:22 »
what switches do you need? I can bring my soldering iron and we'll build it there.

I have some gateron switches coming in from the GB, just waiting on those haha although we could probably solder some switches on and off if people wanna see a live demo haha

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 08:44:13 »
We could desolder my infinity and solder in matias switches I have here.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 14:41:06 »
I am about to solder up a sprit board. What do you guys want to try?  I have clears and browns on hand and the following springs 60, 62, 65, 68. I will probably lube and trampoline mod the switches (silicone ball inside stem).

If no one has a preference I will be doing 65g browns.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 15:25:59 »
I am about to solder up a sprit board. What do you guys want to try?  I have clears and browns on hand and the following springs 60, 62, 65, 68. I will probably lube and trampoline mod the switches (silicone ball inside stem).

62g clears? xD

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:30:38 »

62g clears? xD
If I do clears I will do 65 or 68 gram. I did 62g and I didn't like it because the key rebound was inhibited.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:51:34 »

I did 50g clears on my infinity and have been having serious issues with it. Too light I think.

I like 65g clears but that's just my preference. I am very interested to try out the trampoline mod regardless of switch type. I haven't tried 65g browns yet though so maybe I'll like them.

Can't wait!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 01:03:08 »
GoN says that anything lighter than 55g won't work for clears.

Even using a 55g spring, without lube, the switch won't even reset without a keycap on.

Offline random_rockets

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 12:17:42 »

62g clears? xD
If I do clears I will do 65 or 68 gram. I did 62g and I didn't like it because the key rebound was inhibited.

Just curiosity which 62g did you use? I have 62g springs fromt he Spritz GB waiting to mod into ergo-clear (hopefully I can this week, but work has been killing me ;( ) and wouldn't wanna do all that work for naught

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 12:41:22 »

62g clears? xD

Just curiosity which 62g did you use? I have 62g springs fromt he Spritz GB waiting to mod into ergo-clear (hopefully I can this week, but work has been killing me ;( ) and wouldn't wanna do all that work for naught
I used sprit springs. I lubed my switches and I tend to do more grease than oil in my mix, so that could have played into it. Also, I was using SA caps, so they are heavier.

The switches worked fine, but I did notice a little lag as the switch topped out and it was enough for me to switch to 65g.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:25:40 »
I'm going to do 65g browns because that is what I want on that board and I don't feel like doing it all over again. :)

I am using the last of the browns I bought from you dorkvader. :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:38:56 »
Time to get busy. :)

Offline random_rockets

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 14:01:07 »
Alright I'm curious to see how they feel! As I am reading more and more reviews I feel like I should have gotten 65g instead of 62g, mostly based on how they feel.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 16:41:40 »
And the tedious job is done.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 19:57:38 »
I'm still sick with flu guys so idk if I'll make it (the car ride would kill me). If I do, who's driving from Toronto?
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 19:58:11 »
I better see all the pictures guys