Author Topic: Mousepads  (Read 6263 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Mousepads
« on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 23:09:34 »
Do you guys prefer cloth or plastic. I could never get used to plastic, always too slippery.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Mousepads
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 06:09:44 »
Glass or aluminium. Using cloth atm though because I really like the massive size of a deskmat.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 06:27:41 »
Do you guys prefer cloth or plastic. I could never get used to plastic, always too slippery.

Currently using a Roccat HIRO pad which is basically burnt silicone which is surprisingly tough.  Works with every known mouse sensor - optical or lazer.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 06:51:20 »
I've switched back to using the SteelSeries 4HD

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 07:14:17 »
I definitely prefer cloth to anything else. Recently got the Steel series Qck heavy as a gift, thought I wouldn't like but it's actually awesome.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 07:30:23 »
I just prefer large cloth pads to anything else really. They give a good balance between grip and control for me, they are durable, large enough for my low sensitivity, relatively cheap (compared to most hard pads), and they do not destroy my mouse feet every 6 months. The Qck heavy is my favorite.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline osi

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 08:09:21 »
Cloth supermat ftw. Been using them for years. Cheap and durable

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:39:09 »
I definitely prefer cloth to anything else. Recently got the Steel series Qck heavy as a gift, thought I wouldn't like but it's actually awesome.
yeah got the guild wars 2 one right now
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 09:10:21 »
Glass coated cloth is my favorite. I love my Artisan. Surprisingly the ones I got for $1 from artscow are my second favorite. I find it a bit too squishy but the cloth has a good tight weave nice and smooth and hasn't frayed yet. For the price I certainly can't fault it. It's leagues better than anything you can find for 5 times as much in an office store anyway.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 09:15:21 »
I like cloth because it allows me to adjust the friction by the amount of force I push the mouse down with. If I push it down a bit, it allows for better control and if less weight is placed on it, the friction goes down. Hard mats have pretty constant friction, and although low, I sometimes like the ability to be able to increase it and gain a bit more control.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 10:09:54 »
Glass coated cloth is my favorite. I love my Artisan. Surprisingly the ones I got for $1 from artscow are my second favorite. I find it a bit too squishy but the cloth has a good tight weave nice and smooth and hasn't frayed yet. For the price I certainly can't fault it. It's leagues better than anything you can find for 5 times as much in an office store anyway.

Does the glass coating help keep the Artisan from getting dirty?  I was thinking of getting one of those.  I have a QCK Mass white and it got dirty pretty quick but it looks okay after a run in the washing machine.  I was thinking of using some scotch guard on it to help keep it looking new. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:51:00 »

I've got to try an artisan then ;D My $1 pad started fraying after two weeks so I just use it to look at.

Which artisan pad would you recommend?
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:01:29 by Pacifist »

Offline MiR4i

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:29:58 »
I used to use aluminum gaming surfaces (or whatever they're marketed as), but I've recently switched to the Razer Sphex.  It's as thin as paper with a sticky bottom that sticks to your desk.  I've had one on my desk for a few months now and it's holding up nicely.  It hasn't left any residue on my desk (yet), but to be honest, I don't expect that it will (it just doesn't feel like it will).  For ~$15 USD, I feel like I should be stocking up on more in case they stop selling them anytime soon. ;)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:45:50 »
I don't like cloth pads. They don't track to my liking and they get dusty after a week.

Currently using the roccat alumic which is nice except it's ... special paper on a hard pad. So, I don't exactly know what the alumic actually qualifies as.

So, sidebar, what aluminum or glass mouse-pads do you guys like?

Edit: qualifies as*
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:25:10 by the1onewolf »

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:21:51 »
I don't like cloth pads. They don't track to my liking and they get dusty after a week.

Currently using the roccat alumic which is nice except it's ... special paper on a hard pad. So, I don't exactly know what the alumic actually qualifies on.

Not aluminum but still metal. I'm currently using a piece of 16 guage, 12x12in(~1.50mm, 30x30cm)  steel plate painted with black appliance epoxy and polished the surface. Non-marking rubber on the back to keep it from moving, which so far holds it as if I have it glued down. I've been using it for just over a month now and it still looks like the first day I started using it. It's been pretty good and accurate. Glides almost as smooth as an air hockey puck. Dust is definitely very noticeable though, but I can just blow it right off. Cleaning is just a quick wipe.

Here's a potato pic after it's first test drive:
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:26:33 »

Currently using the roccat alumic which is nice except it's ... special paper on a hard pad. So, I don't exactly know what the alumic actually qualifies on.

Not aluminum but still metal. I'm currently using a piece of 16 guage, 12x12in(~1.50mm, 30x30cm)  steel plate painted with black appliance epoxy and polished the surface. Non-marking rubber on the back to keep it from moving, which so far holds it as if I have it glued down. I've been using it for just over a month now and it still looks like the first day I started using it. It's been pretty good and accurate. Glides almost as smooth as an air hockey puck. Dust is definitely very noticeable though, but I can just blow it right off. Cleaning is just a quick wipe.

Show Image

That's pretty cool.  :thumb:

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 13:47:59 »
I have the Shiden-Kai mid in white. It still looks like when I took it out of the package. I think I've had it for almost 3 year now. When it get dirty just need to wipe it with a damp sponge. They are very easy to clean.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 03:36:19 »
I like cloth because of the smoothness, control and it's comfy, but I need to wash it often as I have very sweaty palms
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline kod

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:27:13 »
Definitely cloth.  I only use a mouse for gaming (trackball for work), so cleaning isnt a big deal.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:48:04 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 11:17:05 »
Definitely cloth.  I only use a mouse for gaming (trackball for work), so cleaning isnt a big deal.

QFT, although I'd like to try some hard pad, because comfort isn't that much of an issue since I switched to trackball for non-gaming use.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 11:34:18 »
I get that. They do look fascinating

QFT, although I'd like to try some hard pad, because comfort isn't that much of an issue since I switched to trackball for non-gaming use.
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:01:10 »
I prefer cloth because I feel that I have more control and comfort with them.

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 12:03:17 »
Cloth all the way.  Plastic can get shiny and mess with your optics.  Metals might, too; I don't have much experience there.

The worst pad I ever had was leather.  I thought it would work out, but cows and mice don't get along, apparently.

Offline ajx

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 20:20:16 »
plastic for me
tried alu and glass, worst experience ever, cant say it was bad because of material but it makes noise heavily loud
crispy sound
cloth, the only one that i found it could worth it, was actually cloth pad from Artisan, best cloth pad i ever tried, friction rate was very low
the biggest advantage to hard pad its the non-friction rate or way lower than cloth
you must try both to notice it
i currently own Razer Destructor 2, kinda love it, almost perfect to me although i think its surface provide very fast glide and you can feel something that sticks mice's move a bit: in the other word, i would call it grip but you actually feel like tiny grains of sand when you move your mice

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 20:36:35 »

Show Image

I can't get over how sexy that is

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 09:06:08 »
I own 2x Tempered Glass "Icemat" mouse pad's

They're awesome, still good after 6+ years.

Hard pads = durability IMO.

All soft pads eventually wear out, unless you really like the feeling of soft pads, Hard pads are the way to go IMO.

Hard pads also function well as a good emergency blunt weapon to hit somebody upside the head with, you can't do that with a soft pad. =D

Offline bumgrapes

• Poker II
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 09:15:19 »
Razer Goliathus Extended Speed Edition for the win

Previously used a Razer Sphex & absolutely loved it, I just wish it was bigger!

Offline antCB

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 11:57:27 »
always been a fan of the cheap Steelseries QcK series, have gone through the standard and the XL versions. I've bought one of those plastic Steelseries 9HD, but I can't get used to that surface, it's too fast for me, it's good to take it on the go and use it on uneven surfaces, though.

currently using an Ozone Mousepad (K1CK branding), which is bigger than the steelseries QcK+ and is almost the same as a QcK Mass.
Steelseries 6GV2 ISO-PT with Gateron Blues.

Offline archer

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 12:34:26 »

Are those still available for purchase anywhere? Can't seem to find any on amazon :(

I bounce between 3 different mats: Razer Manticor, Steelseries 9HD, and Mionix Propus

Manticor is the one that I use the most, because it's huge, aluminum, and just looks like a matte black square. None of that usual Razer bright green nonsense.

The Propus is pretty sweet too.. gives the mouse a nice glide and if you look closely at it, there are tiny flecks in it that sparkle.. but somehow don't interfere with optical/laser sensors at all.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 12:39:07 »

Are those still available for purchase anywhere? Can't seem to find any on amazon :(

I bounce between 3 different mats: Razer Manticor, Steelseries 9HD, and Mionix Propus

Manticor is the one that I use the most, because it's huge, aluminum, and just looks like a matte black square. None of that usual Razer bright green nonsense.

The Propus is pretty sweet too.. gives the mouse a nice glide and if you look closely at it, there are tiny flecks in it that sparkle.. but somehow don't interfere with optical/laser sensors at all.

the IceMat/Experience I-x pads have been unavailable for some time now, sadly. I've got one that I'm using right now(finally swapped away from my deskmat) and I would like to have one in backup in case it ever breaks, because the I-2 that I have is the best pad I've ever used.

Offline archer

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 12:46:19 »

the IceMat/Experience I-x pads have been unavailable for some time now, sadly. I've got one that I'm using right now(finally swapped away from my deskmat) and I would like to have one in backup in case it ever breaks, because the I-2 that I have is the best pad I've ever used.

Awww.. that's what I figured. That's a shame. I've always heard nothing but good things about icemats.

Thanks for letting me know!

Do optical mice have any issues tracking on tempered glass like an icemat?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 12:51:35 »

Awww.. that's what I figured. That's a shame. I've always heard nothing but good things about icemats.

Thanks for letting me know!

Do optical mice have any issues tracking on tempered glass like an icemat?

I've never had any issues with optical mice on it, but one or two shoddy lasers might've had issues with it. I can't remember which one, but there was one that just refused to track on it. Probably the Habu, which shouldn't really come as a surprise.

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:06:18 »
I guess I was lucky when I bought 2x of those Icemat's way back then.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:17:39 »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:19:37 »
Anybody used any of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXTILL-G-PAD-glass-pad-BLACK-approved-by-professional-gamers-/121140160606?pt=US_Mouse_Pads_Wrist_Rests&hash=item1c3484285e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEELSERIES-53004-Experience-I-2-Frosted-Glass-Mouse-Pad-Pink-/380590673898?pt=US_Mouse_Pads_Wrist_Rests&hash=item589cf8cfea

The Experience I-2 is the IceMat mentioned in the recent posts. Using one right now and it is my favourite pad.

How about the other mat? Not really digging the pink but its the only color I could find

Never heard about that one, but if no I-2 is available I'd give it a go in hopes that it'll be somewhat similar at least.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:36:06 »
http://www.technica.com.cy/cyprus/steelseries-experience-i-2-blue-gaming-mouse-pad_489

Found one in blue but I doubt I can get it over to the USA for a decent sum of money :'(

Guess its either pink or the korean one