Author Topic: Question on SolidWorks  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Question on SolidWorks
« on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 22:46:07 »
So after getting my design all figured out in SolidWorks, is there a way I can resize every switch hole both in the X and Y axis while maintaining the center of the hole?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline AGmurdercore

Re: Question on SolidWorks
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 07:38:15 »
I am pretty sure that you can only do that for every piece individually, although i am not an expert and i might be wrong.
What the hell am I even doing

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 07:39:47 »
So after getting my design all figured out in SolidWorks, is there a way I can resize every switch hole both in the X and Y axis while maintaining the center of the hole?

Should have used hole wizard, it makes changing hole sizes/drill depths quite easy

Plus then you know what drill bits you'd need for the project to order if you don't have or to make a tool list of what you need to start a project
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 07:42:48 »
There should be a scale feature you can try. If you did it as a hole pattern (this would be easiest), if you change the first hole of the pattern, the others will update.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 08:11:05 »
Sorry guys I wasn't real clear.  I was talking about the square switch holes.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 08:12:01 »
My statement still stands. If you have those square holes, you should do it as a pattern to save yourself the headache of updating 100 sketches.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 08:16:11 »
My statement still stands. If you have those square holes, you should do it as a pattern to save yourself the headache of updating 100 sketches.

You could do this OR you can link dimensions.

I think typical Cherry spacing is .75" center to center. You could link all those .75" dimensions together so that if you change one, since they're linked, they would all change. Patterning might be easier tho

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 08:18:08 »
Link like setting the dimension as say A = .75" then setting all the spaces between the caps as A?

This would definitely work but I think patterning it is easier and more flexible. You don't have to mess with multiple expressions.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:13:50 »
Link like setting the dimension as say A = .75" then setting all the spaces between the caps as A?

This would definitely work but I think patterning it is easier and more flexible. You don't have to mess with multiple expressions.

I have been using the linear sketch pattern tool but for some reason it won't let me set it to an 1/8".  I will input 10.125 and it rounds to 10.13.  Any ideas?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:14:50 »
Check in your settings to see what the units are set at. Sounds like there's something set to round your units to the hundredths.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:21:12 »
Check in your settings to see what the units are set at. Sounds like there's something set to round your units to the hundredths.

Thanks Cpt, I found said setting.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:27:57 »

I just tried using the linking dimensions, it's a lot harder than linear or circular patterning

Once you learn how to pattern correctly, it's super easy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:28:51 »
Yeah I really like patterns because once you set up the one or two holes you might need, you can make 100 or 1000 very easily. When I have to use expressions or links, it's usually for a very specific reason since I think it's not as handy. :D

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:33:25 »
Yeah I have been just making one hole on the far side and just using the sketch pattern tool for the rest of the row.  But what I am trying to do is for what is going to be the bottom 3 plates is to make the holes a touch larger from top to bottom while keeping the hole center the same.  My plate is going to use 4 individual plates stacked to essentially make a single 1/4" thick plate.  So I need to make the holes larger from top to bottom so the switches and stabilizers still have something to clip on to.

Again thanks for the help guys.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:42:20 »
Yeah I have been just making one hole on the far side and just using the sketch pattern tool for the rest of the row.  But what I am trying to do is for what is going to be the bottom 3 plates is to make the holes a touch larger from top to bottom while keeping the hole center the same.  My plate is going to use 4 individual plates stacked to essentially make a single 1/4" thick plate.  So I need to make the holes larger from top to bottom so the switches and stabilizers still have something to clip on to.

Again thanks for the help guys.

I wouldn't use the sketch pattern, I'd personally use the feature pattern.

If you were doing hole patterns, and you change from a #70 to a #50, you change the first hole wizard, and that should change the hole for everything being patterned

CPT might have some industrial mined thoughts on this as well

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:46:30 »
I'd agree. Feature pattern would work better in this case. Sketch pattern is just adding additional work for you. Feature pattern each row.