Author Topic: Software for making stuff  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Software for making stuff
« on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 00:04:32 »
Can we start a thread (possibly including links) regarding popular software that is used by the community for making PCB's, plates, cases, etc.?

I would like to  start by adding some links for Solidworks.

Solidworks Student Edition for Veterans $20  DD214 required
Not sure what actual going rate for the student edition but a quick google search shows $86 to $150.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline PointyFox

Re: Software for making stuff
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 00:47:48 »
Do the veterans need to be students?  :confused:

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 00:54:14 »
Do the veterans need to be students?  :confused:

No.  That is how I got mine.  And I am a high school drop out with a GED and working millwright construction.  And do nothing with CAD at work.  I just put stuff together.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 01:36:05 »
PCB:
-- KiCAD - Preferred by most GHers as we have good library and is used by the pros (read regack, bpiphany, komar007 and many others)
-- Eagle

CAD (2D):
-- Inkscape
-- AutoCAD
-- CorelDraw
-- Illustrator

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 20:40:59 »
Good idea for a thread, I was looking for this info myself recently...

I tried out Draftsight for dwg's last night, it's free and was ok but I didn't find the interface very intuitive. I'd rather use Illustrator which I do have although Illustrator is far from free.

I didn't think Illustrator was thought of as a CAD program, are there any gotchas with using Illustrator to design cases/plates for lasercutting?

The one time I tried to use Illustrator to try to edit a plate file, it came up with some message about scaling that I didn't understand. I'll have to try it out again.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 20:46:40 »
Good idea for a thread, I was looking for this info myself recently...

I tried out Draftsight for dwg's last night, it's free and was ok but I didn't find the interface very intuitive. I'd rather use Illustrator which I do have although Illustrator is far from free.

I didn't think Illustrator was thought of as a CAD program, are there any gotchas with using Illustrator to design cases/plates for lasercutting?

The one time I tried to use Illustrator to try to edit a plate file, it came up with some message about scaling that I didn't understand. I'll have to try it out again.

I couldn't tell ya there.  The only cad program I have used is student version of solidworks I got for the Vets discount.  I have used GoogleSketchup but that is very basic and is very unfriendly for getting pieces cut from it.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 22:04:21 »
Illustrator or Corel or Inkscape are not really CAD programs, but our application is really simple and any vector program like these works fine.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 22:07:16 »
Illustrator or Corel or Inkscape are not really CAD programs, but our application is really simple and any vector program like these works fine.

Thanks, wish I knew that Illustrator was ok yesterday, I could have saved myself the hassle of trying to learn Draftsight all last night.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 22:11:42 »
Autodesk Inventor. It's free and it's the 3D CAD package I learned on. I recommend that or Solidworks. :D