Author Topic: Best Resin?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Best Resin?
« on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 17:40:42 »
What's everybody's favorite resin for casting?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Best Resin?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 18:06:32 »
Melted click clacks
I love Elzy

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 18:07:13 »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 18:49:36 »
Pac Caps is finally starting up?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:13:21 »
I can tell you from my own experience that there is no such thing as a "best" resin.  You have to buy a bunch and see what works best for you with your molds, your methods for mixing, sprueing, and casting, your temps, your areas humidity level, the pressure (or lack thereof) that you can cast at and so on.

If you're serious about this, you need to be willing to put your money up front, do your own experiments and research, and figure out what works for you.  I know people have harassed you in the past about not doing your own research and this really is an area where you have to do that.  It's not an a+b=c thing, there are many variables at play and there is personal preference for what medium works best for you.

tl;dr Spend $300-400 on a pressure pot and supplies and find what works best for you

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 23:23:53 »
What's everybody's favorite resin for casting?

Just about all of them :D  So many reasons to use each different type.  Make sure you know why you pick a resin based on its specifications and how well you work with resin.  I'm sure you'll get a sense for it if you put enough time into it.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangnamember
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 13:09:48 »
I love alumilites 1/ 1 quick cure resin line, perfect for molds without fine lines (I have destroyed molds with this resin) and to quickly check if your mold cured without unnoticeable to the eye flaws. Relatively cheap and you get ALOT of resin. You won't be able to pressure pot with it due it's 7 min demold time, but it will help you learn proper pouring techniques for when you ultimately dive into the pressure pot.  :thumb:

Nubs is also 100% correct, just keep buying resins until you find one that works in your climate the best

*also whoa! I had no idea this section even existed on GH, it's awesome! It was hidden for me until I clicked that little plus and it expanded. Mind = blown
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2014, 13:17:17 by HipsterPunks »
sell ass and eat out

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 18:54:06 »
What does everybody use to make the mold? Would a solo plastic cup work for gravity molds?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 19:35:18 »
Alright, don't take this as me being a ****, because it's not meant that way.  This is meant as constructive criticism.

First off, you're asking questions that five minutes on Google can answer.  In order to get useful help, you shouldn't be asking people to spoon feed you answers to basic questions.  Instead you should be asking if there are any resources people would recommend, doing your own research, come up with specific questions that you can't find answers to in the course of your research, and then ask if specific questions to those issues that arise in your experimentation and research.  These are basic research skills that you should have been taught starting in 5th grade or so.  I know spoon feeding is easier and I've even taught college students who only wanted to be spoon fed, but you learn nothing from being spoon fed.  Instead, you learn from doing your own research and doing your own experiments and asking specific questions that arise from your own work.

If this is something you are serious about, you need to put in the legwork to get the basics down, then come back with specific questions about the intricacies that arise.  This is particularly important since everyone has a different experience with casting, so one person's techniques and products they use may not work well for you.

Secondly, since I'm assuming that you plan on turning this into something that you can make money off of, it's not fair to ask people to freely give you their knowledge.  This is especially true in light of the fact that most of those people have invested plenty of time and their own money into finding answers, often a considerable amount of money.  Unless there is reciprocity through sharing of information or contractual promises of repayment, you really shouldn't expect people to give their knowledge up for free.

That's not to say that people won't give you some of the basics, after all Binge has graciously made a guide that he has in his thread in here and I've done some write ups, but you really can't expect them to sit down and guide you through how to do it for free if you plan on selling the caps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2014, 19:40:40 by nubbinator »

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 19:48:24 »
Alright, don't take this as me being a ****, because it's not meant that way.  This is meant as constructive criticism.

First off, you're asking questions that five minutes on Google can answer.  In order to get useful help, you shouldn't be asking people to spoon feed you answers to basic questions.  Instead you should be asking if there are any resources people would recommend, doing your own research, come up with specific questions that you can't find answers to in the course of your research, and then ask if specific questions to those issues that arise in your experimentation and research.  These are basic research skills that you should have been taught starting in 5th grade or so.  I know spoon feeding is easier and I've even taught college students who only wanted to be spoon fed, but you learn nothing from being spoon fed.  Instead, you learn from doing your own research and doing your own experiments and asking specific questions that arise from your own work.

If this is something you are serious about, you need to put in the legwork to get the basics down, then come back with specific questions about the intricacies that arise.  This is particularly important since everyone has a different experience with casting, so one person's techniques and products they use may not work well for you.

Secondly, since I'm assuming that you plan on turning this into something that you can make money off of, it's not fair to ask people to freely give you their knowledge.  This is especially true in light of the fact that most of those people have invested plenty of time and their own money into finding answers, often a considerable amount of money.  Unless there is reciprocity through sharing of information or contractual promises of repayment, you really shouldn't expect people to give their knowledge up for free.

That's not to say that people won't give you some of the basics, after all Binge has graciously made a guide that he has in his thread in here and I've done some write ups, but you really can't expect them to sit down and guide you through how to do it for free if you plan on selling the caps.

Not to be a jerk, but if you're going to try and make money off of something you learned how to do from my guide at least credit me when you do so.

Such ego. Much jerk. Wow.