Author Topic: Is there a mouse with tracking that rivals the Zowie evo/FK?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline dmbr

Is there a mouse with tracking that rivals the Zowie evo/FK?
« on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 09:34:41 »
I've heard that Zowie's have pixel-walking, which makes me sad :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Is there a mouse with tracking that rivals the Zowie evo/FK?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:24:13 »
Pixel walking? I'm not even sure I know what that is.

I do know that the Zowie internals are superb, and couldn't be happier with my EC1 CL.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 11:57:13 »
Deathadder 3G v1
STMicroelectronics OSMLT04 mice when you do not go past the max perfect tracking speed
Logitecg G400 (non S)

Are all mice who are generally believed to have superior tracking. That said, I use Zowie mice, am aware of any issue associated with them, and continue to use them over any of those mice (all of which I have). Take that how you want. I am not saying that some of the flaws people point out are not real, but you have to put them in the right perspective.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 March 2014, 12:05:12 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 12:07:58 »
I've heard that Zowie's have pixel-walking, which makes me sad :(

can you link to what you've read/heard, please?
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 05:58:37 »
Pixel walking? I'm not even sure I know what that is.

I do know that the Zowie internals are superb, and couldn't be happier with my EC1 CL.

I added a section about "pixel walking" in the guide: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53945.0

I hope it makes things clear.

About pixel walking with the Zowies. If you check out the description of "smoothing" and "pixel walk" in the guide, you can see why both are used interchangeably. They describe a different issue, but there is a similarity in the tracking issue that is described (though not the same).

I highly suggest you use them and see if you can notice anything of that description when using the zowies.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:33:42 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline dmbr

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 16:25:11 »
I really can't notice any pixel walking and whatever jitter there is at the 2300 DPI step is hardly perceptible (an OCN reviewer found there to be none when using a black cloth pad like mine). I'm not convinced these are real issues at this point.

Sadly, 2300 dpi is just a hair too low for me to get pixel-perfect precision with my inches/360, so I'm giving the Kone Pure Optical and Kana v2 a go. I'm fairly certain the g400's grip is incompatible with mine or that'd be on the list, too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 16:27:02 by dmbr »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 09:21:40 »
2300 dpi is just a hair too low for me to get pixel-perfect precision with my inches/360

wow. 2300 being too low sounds insane to me.

Logitecg G400 (non S)

what's wrong with the g400s? i thought it was exactly the same as g400, except for the last dpi step?

ontopic: g400. also read good things about the steelseries kana v2.

also: pixel walking on zowie fk?
i've always used the native 2300 step (on black cloth) and have never experienced any pixel walking. or have i just not noticed it, then, and is it that subtle?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 09:39:05 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:50:33 »
I believe people have had trouble with the G400s, but I can't say I found any flaws whatsoever with the tracking on mine... so it might have been batch variation or software or something? I didn't use any software with mine and had no problems at all. tested it very thoroughly and all. smoothing may have been a thing but there was no delay so I'm wondering... sold it and got the Kana v2 instead as I just can't get used to 'ergonomic' mice however much I try. just won't work for precise aiming in games for me.

really can't say what the issue is after trying it, and I tend to see myself as very picky with mice.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:40:54 »
I'm still waiting for the sources of those claims, dmbr...
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Bucake

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:18:22 »
I believe people have had trouble with the G400s, but I can't say I found any flaws whatsoever with the tracking on mine... so it might have been batch variation or software or something? I didn't use any software with mine and had no problems at all. tested it very thoroughly and all. smoothing may have been a thing but there was no delay so I'm wondering... sold it and got the Kana v2 instead as I just can't get used to 'ergonomic' mice however much I try. just won't work for precise aiming in games for me.

really can't say what the issue is after trying it, and I tend to see myself as very picky with mice.

such a classic: upgrading a product and then getting feedback that it works less well.. ;p

anyhow; i know what you mean about the 'ergonomic' shape. i prefer the shape of the zowie fk (over the g400), but the coating disturbs me a bit :/ after a while, it starts to feel 'oily' and it messes with my grip a little bit. i also prefer the switches on the g400..

but i'm ordering the kana v2 today or tomorrow because it sounds like a good mix of the two :j
do you have the white or the black version? i'm wondering what your experience is with the coating..
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:49:40 »
it's a great mouse for sure!
I have the Black version, and the coating feels good to me. but I've never had problem with coating on any mouse, so I'm not the best reference.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 21:57:39 »
it's a great mouse for sure!
I have the Black version, and the coating feels good to me. but I've never had problem with coating on any mouse, so I'm not the best reference.

thanks for your reply nonetheless :D

Grim Fandango: you stated that every mouse has smoothing. i suppose every mouse also has (at least some) delay and pixel walking?

awesome guide btw :J
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 March 2014, 02:04:18 by Bucake »