Author Topic: Roccat Ryos  (Read 16541 times)

Offline Jackurgan

Roccat Ryos
« on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:13:07 »

Hello Geekhackers,

My first post here, I thought I might create a new post since I couldn't find any answer on that topic.
I bought a Roccat Ryos the other day, not the Glow or Pro, but the basic model. I've been trying to open it,
so unscrewed the six screws on the back, but it doesn't help. The lid remains firmly anchored.

Has anyone tried to open this particular keyboard yet ?

Offline GiraffePencils

Re: Roccat Ryos
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:16:34 »
Almost all keyboards hide a screw under a sticker,
so there's clear indication that you voided the warranty.

Have you looked under any stickers?

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:40:30 »

There's some kind of sticker behind the keyboard, with the company's name, and a code-bar. But it's sort of printed on the back of the
keyboard, not glued to it, and I definitely do not feel any cavity beneath it that would hold a screw...

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:47:06 »
http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/124276302-2335174455.html

this is a vedio for the KB introduction i find here in China.
It is in English explnation.

Just do not know if it can be opened outside China...
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 09:49:15 »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]Thanks, but this video does not show how to open the keyboard...

There seems to be some kind of security on top of the keyboard, see following picture:

57540-1
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 March 2014, 03:13:46 by Jackurgan »

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 03:08:34 »
I managed to pry the lid open for a few millimeters, but it still remains stuck to the base.

Any ideas ? I can't be the one who's trying to mod this keyboard.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 03:46:19 »
Have you removed all the keys to check if there is anything under them? Corsair puts screws under the keys, under their logo and under the volume scrol...

BTW, remove the CTRL key as well and check if there are codes like these under it (Corsair Vengeance K70 and Logitech G710+ on the picture):

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 March 2014, 03:50:04 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 04:32:52 »

I've checked all the F1 to F12 keys and found nothing. I'll try later to remove all the keys and post a picture of the keyboard without them.

Still, I removed the Left control cap, and saw a code. What does it stand for ?

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 06:29:39 »

I've checked all the F1 to F12 keys and found nothing. I'll try later to remove all the keys and post a picture of the keyboard without them.

Still, I removed the Left control cap, and saw a code. What does it stand for ?

Those are production codes meant to identify the keycap and where it should be at.

It also means the keycaps were made by Solid Year (and most likely they assembled the keyboard too). And I really don't like their keycaps :-X
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 March 2014, 06:32:23 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 07:14:00 »
I think your best chance to open it is to look at that "security" on the top of the keyboard
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 07:44:39 »

Actually I was wrong about the "security" part on top of the keyboard. I managed to pry it open with a knife on its top, its sides, and on the bottom.
Which means that nothing keeps it sealed on its edges. I also took a picture of it from underneath, with the screws taken off:

57564-0

And a picture of it from above with every key removed:

57566-1

This means that SOMETHING is preventing me from opening the lid, it isn't on the edges as I thought, and there are no
screws I could find under the keys.... Any other suggestion ?

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 09:30:42 »

Ok, so I figured out how to open the damn thing. There are another 14 screws underneath the board, 6 visible, 7 hidden beneath the rubber pads
and 1 under the sticker in the middle of the keyboard. Here's a picture, the hidden screws are circled in blue:

57572-0

For those who would try to open their Roccat Ryos, do not peel the whole sticker off, the glue is nearly impossible to clean.
Just find the hole where the screw is located and pierce the sticker with your screwdriwer.

As for what's beneath it, there are another six screws holding the keyboard in place under the lid:

57574-1

Now my question is, how do I get rid of the blue plate above the PCB ? Looks like it's soldered on different places.

57576-2

Offline blackbox

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 10:32:21 »
Pretty sure that is a plate mount design. That means that you have to desolder every switch to take it off. Not sure why you would do that(lot of work).
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:01:51 »
I want to replace the normal springs with brown springs on my Cherry black switches. Couldn't I just remove the metal plate
and then open the switches without desoldering them ?

This is my first mechanical keyboard, and although I appreciate the comfort of cherry switches I find the black a bit
too stiff. I do a lot of writing, so I thought I might only change the springs (less expensive than buying a whole new set,
and maybe easier too if I could avoid any desoldering).
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:04:02 by Jackurgan »

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:33:20 »
I want to replace the normal springs with brown springs on my Cherry black switches. Couldn't I just remove the metal plate
and then open the switches without desoldering them ?

This is my first mechanical keyboard, and although I appreciate the comfort of cherry switches I find the black a bit
too stiff. I do a lot of writing, so I thought I might only change the springs (less expensive than buying a whole new set,
and maybe easier too if I could avoid any desoldering).
No. you can't & shouldn't do that. If you try do that, your switch is to risk to battle or even damaged (maybe top housing of switch is broken :( ). Desoldering is easy & safe for your keyboard. If you have more money, i think you should use Hakko 808 to desoldering very easy. You can view this video
Or you haven't more money, you can use pump to desoldering. There are more video to guide you do that on youtube.com. You can search with keyword "desoldering by pump". I hope you can sucess & safe ;)

Offline dodzylla

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:40:14 »
I got a roccat ryos mk too, i think this keyboard is not good, too great and uncomfortable. If you success with new switch, write your review here, thx:)

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:48:15 »

No. you can't & shouldn't do that. If you try do that, your switch is to risk to battle or even damaged (maybe top housing of switch is broken :( ). Desoldering is easy & safe for your keyboard. If you have more money, i think you should use Hakko 808 to desoldering very easy. You can view this video
Or you haven't more money, you can use pump to desoldering. There are more video to guide you do that on youtube.com. You can search with keyword "desoldering by pump". I hope you can sucess & safe ;)

You sure about that ? I already tried opening a replacement switch and changing the spring, it didn't seem unsafe nor difficult.
In fact, soldering seems like a hassle compared to what I just said.

I got a roccat ryos mk too, i think this keyboard is not good, too great and uncomfortable. If you success with new switch, write your review here, thx:)

I like the width and the weigth of this keyboard. The only thing that bothers me is the black switches. I wish Roccat would sell also sell
the basic model of their Ryos with the brown switches as well. I'll post a review if I manage to change the springs, but that may take a
while.

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:50:13 by Jackurgan »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 12:00:57 »
If you want to change from black to brown I do not see a reason why you couldn't just open the switch and replace the mechanism (as you described).

The LAN table!

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 12:03:27 »

You sure about that ? I already tried opening a replacement switch and changing the spring, it didn't seem unsafe nor difficult.
In fact, soldering seems like a hassle compared to what I just said.

Yeah. I sure that i said. You just can open switch safe with openable plate. But your plate is not openable plate lol =)). I replace & modding more  my keyboard. Maybe you are lucky in some switch but you 'll have more & more trouble when you replace whole spring for your keyboard. Please believe me to you have safe keyboard ;)

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 12:36:51 »
If you want to change from black to brown I do not see a reason why you couldn't just open the switch and replace the mechanism (as you described).

That was my initial plan, but the plate makes it nearly impossible to open said switches. The lock of the switches is located just underneath
the metal plate, therefore I can't just pop up the lid and start working. I have to get rid of it first.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 14:04:30 »
I see

The LAN table!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 14:22:45 »
If you don't like the switches and the plate, get PCB-mount switches, desolder the old ones and solder the new ones without the plate. It's the simplest, quickest option. If the PCB supports PCB-mount switches, of course.

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 16:23:57 »

So what's the essential difference between a plate-mounted design and a PCB-mounted design ?
By looking at the graphic, I'd say the only difference is the pin holding the switch on the PCB, and the
lack of thereof.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 16:33:33 »
Yup, two extra pins for added stability.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 13:31:25 »
You MAY be able to push the plate down towards the PCB and then go about opening the switches. Some have done it with matrix layout boards before. Are you going to change the stems AND springs or just the springs? The cases and contacts on all Cherry MX switches are identical, so if you have the parts you can make them into any variant you like.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Jackurgan

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 14:06:45 »
You MAY be able to push the plate down towards the PCB and then go about opening the switches. Some have done it with matrix layout boards before. Are you going to change the stems AND springs or just the springs? The cases and contacts on all Cherry MX switches are identical, so if you have the parts you can make them into any variant you like.

I'd juste like to change the spring of most alphanumeric keys, that is put some brown spings into the black switches. I do a LOT of typing, and I didn't think the black switches would be that stiff. I wouldn't change the entire switch though, only the spring, because I like the linear feel of the black cherry.

I would like to switch the black switches on the ASDF and the HJKL keys for some brown switches. Since these switches have a tactile feel, I could instantaneously feel if my hands aren't positionned correctly on the keyboard.

BTW anyone knows where I could get brown/blue/red springs ?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 March 2014, 14:33:23 by Jackurgan »