Author Topic: Hi! Newbie, code crafting, gaming vet here  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Lipton

Hi! Newbie, code crafting, gaming vet here
« on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 18:02:09 »
I'm a front-end developer who use to game a lot, really getting into enhancing my profession by upgrading my keyboards lately :)

I've owned a Razer blackwidow with Cherry MX Blues for the longest time, and really wanted a mechanical for work. After a lot of research I decided on the WASD V2 87 keyboard with Brown switches and o-ring sound dampeners.

Screenshot of the design I choose

Out the box :)

At work:

At home:

I really REALLY love it :) What I like most about WASD is their design aesthetic. The keys feel like they were designed by someone in touch to the core on principles like the golden ratiohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio. The lines and curves are all in the right place, everything feels tight and clean, nothing extra, nothing un-needed. I wouldn't say a minimal design, I would say the right design.

WASD also provides the most customization options from any company I've seen. I choose the keys with the light gray and dark gray colors because they really harken back / pay homage to the original mechanical keyboards, but have a very modern look.

My next project is going to be designing a 104 key WASD V2 with Cherry MX Green switches :) From what I've read they are just like the Blues, but with 30 more grams of force needed for actuation. That sounds like typing pleasure to me :D

Anyways hi!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hi! Newbie, code crafting, gaming vet here
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 18:20:08 »
Welcome to GH! Nice setup! I'm also a fan of MX Greens ^__^

Offline Lipton

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 18:59:43 »
Thanks :) just watched another green switch video... something to look forward too

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 20:18:47 »
Welcome :thumb: And those red Siberia's are pretty sweet ;)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:06:24 »
sup son ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WASD v1 was my first board, so it's always nice to see others getting the v2s.
I love Elzy

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 23:40:02 »
It's nice to see another person enjoying their WASD :). I have a WASD v2 with browns and o-rings like you (although I'm not currently using it). It's a great board. I also loved it for its minimalist design and dip switches (caps->ctrl is nice).

The only complaint I have heard from people is that the thin ABS keycaps are "worse" than other (thick) PBT caps. However, it is extremely difficult to get pbt caps with as much customization as WASD offers. Ultimately it all comes down to personal preferences.

Welcome to GH.

Offline Lipton

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:20:06 »
Welcome :thumb: And those red Siberia's are pretty sweet ;)

Heya! And thanks :) yeah love em... using an extension cable too to get them to wrap around my setup

sup son ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WASD v1 was my first board, so it's always nice to see others getting the v2s.

I really love the designs of the WASD v2, looking forward to designing some custom keys for a 104 with green switches now

It's nice to see another person enjoying their WASD :). I have a WASD v2 with browns and o-rings like you (although I'm not currently using it). It's a great board. I also loved it for its minimalist design and dip switches (caps->ctrl is nice).

The only complaint I have heard from people is that the thin ABS keycaps are "worse" than other (thick) PBT caps. However, it is extremely difficult to get pbt caps with as much customization as WASD offers. Ultimately it all comes down to personal preferences.

Welcome to GH.

Thanks! And cool, did not know about the difference in thickness of caps, but I see now