Author Topic: Old ALPS Stabilizer halp?  (Read 5107 times)

Offline spolia optima

Old ALPS Stabilizer halp?
« on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 11:34:15 »
Removed the bigass enter key, but forgot to make note of the stabilizer post orientation. These are usually a piece of cake.

Keyboard is an Antec KF-91R with type 2 simplified clicky ALPS

59557-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 11:49:42 by spolia optima »
keyboards!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Old ALPS Stabilizer halp?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 16:05:23 »
It looks like there is only one way these can be oriented. Seating the wires could be a good trick, I have never had any like that.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 17:31:11 »
Biaxial enter key stabilisers are fun!

This is the only one I had, and it was even more complicated:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Zenith_Supersport_SX_--_Enter_key_stabiliser.jpg

That was a pain to get back together again!

I guess in your case, just pull the shift key and note the orientation, and then put the posts back into the enter the same way WRT the wires.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 23:00:02 »
fixed. duh.

59652-0
keyboards!

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 02:20:49 »
I was wondering why that wire was facing the wrong way …

I can see now that they're not Alps switches anyway. The idea of Alps using that stabiliser layout seemed odd to me, as they tended to use a guide post for the enter key.
Bore Awards

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 04:53:08 »
I can see now that they're not Alps switches anyway. The idea of Alps using that stabiliser layout seemed odd to me, as they tended to use a guide post for the enter key.
There are several keyboards with Alps switches and that type of enter key, for example those made by Monterey http://deskthority.net/wiki/Monterey_K104 and Chicony http://deskthority.net/wiki/Chicony_KB-5181.

I’ve even seen a keyboard or two which used Alps-style stabilizers for every key except the bigass enter (which used the costar-style stabilizers under discussion here).
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 04:56:00 by jacobolus »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 04:55:44 »
There are several keyboards with Alps switches and that type of enter key, for example those made by Monterey http://deskthority.net/wiki/Monterey_K104 and http://deskthority.net/wiki/Chicony_KB-5181.
I think he meant that the keyboard was not using actual alps-branded switches, instead SMK alps mount or similar.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 04:58:18 »
I think he meant that the keyboard was not using actual alps-branded switches, instead SMK alps mount or similar.
He meant that the keyboard uses a clone switch (rather than one made by Alps). The switches here are still pin, plate, and keycap compatible with Alps switches though, and the same shape.

My point is just that there are also keyboards with Alps SKCM switches which use the same kind of stabilizers.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:25:00 »
I meant Alps Electric "Alps", not Alps SKCL/SKCM "Alps", or other Alps switches "Alps", or "anything that looks a bit like Alps" "Alps" :D
Bore Awards

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:11:48 »

I wasn't sure of the manufacturer. Calling Alps Clones "ALPS" is incorrect though, I admit that. It's more of a habit than anything.

According to Sandy55, they appear to be the Simplified Type II-SS variation.

They also look extremely similar to the Alps.tw Type T5 and Type T8, but with a white stem.

Here are a few more pictures, for science:

59855-0

59857-1

59859-2

59863-3
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:44:41 by spolia optima »
keyboards!

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:16:46 »
I cannot clearly make out the shape of the contacts on either yours or Sandy's, but I imagine that "Type II-SS" and yours are both the same as Type T5, with some manufacturing variation. I'm having trouble with the shapes:

They're probably all Himake AK-C5 (D5 when linear). Strong Man made extensive use of those style switches, though often we don't get to see inside them, so we never know which specific variety they are. It's always great to have another data point, so thank you! I shall add this page to the wiki as a reference.

As a note, AK-C5 is officially noted as having a white slider, so your white sliders are correct; it's these grey ones that don't match up:

http://kbtalking.cool3c.com/article/6026

Also, the bloke who ran Strong Man (Mr Wang) still appears to have an active e-mail address, though he didn't return my e-mail.

Note that Sandy's Alps page was removed (as I recall) due to containing outdated information. He's no longer interested in clones, and the DT wiki should be considered the most authoritative on clone switches, based on the comprehensive data from alps.tw and additional research.

What I'm still desperately seeking is confirmation from companies who used these switches, such as Ortek, MacAlly and ELSA Communications, to confirm whether they did all buy Himake/Hua-Jie switches. Focus appear to have folded, and Strong Man are long gone, and they were big customers of them.
Bore Awards

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:18:52 »
Wait, you're the guy with the SIIG SunTouch K101 photos — http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33343.0
I saved those in case the topic went away.
Bore Awards

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:43:18 »
Yeah. I sold that board, though, the suntouch
keyboards!