Author Topic: convince me to buy a topre keyboard  (Read 23573 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: convince me to buy a topre keyboard
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 23:07:50 »
I convinced a coworker to get a Realforce 87u. He let me try it out today and part of me died inside because I know I won't be getting one for quite some time. I thought I would really dislike the actuation weight differences but I thought they did it right. It allowed me to determine that 45g is my favorite on the board. 55g just seemed a bit too stiff.

Time to go back to my blues and browns. Life is tough.

If you want to try out an FC660C for some other topre typing experience, I'd be happy to let you try mine, seeing as we're both in MN.   :thumb:   Unless of course you've already tried it.  :)   I find the FC660C to be quite functional while also having a small footprint, and I really like it.

Offline tbc

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 23:15:45 »
I haven't tried that board yet...but conceptually, it is the best board out there.

expensive but not outrageous (in before $150 rf)
cursor keys
small
topre is quiet

obviously not the best possible permutation, but when to other out of the box boards, it's a champ.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 23:27:05 »
One day I'd like to try get myself a Leopold too. I am just not sure why I need to seeing that I already have two Topre. But I like the two keys on the right - great key caps display area. Ha ha .. Many also seemed to think that Leopold is different from HHKB and RF. So, I am really itchy to try one.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 00:53:38 »
One day I'd like to try get myself a Leopold too. I am just not sure why I need to seeing that I already have two Topre. But I like the two keys on the right - great key caps display area. Ha ha .. Many also seemed to think that Leopold is different from HHKB and RF. So, I am really itchy to try one.

Heh.  This is exactly true!  Between Esc and those two, that's three prime locations.  And then you've got the arrow keys if you happen to have fn keys as well!

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 01:01:30 »
Would really want to join the leopold and poker hype one day, for now I need to stick with tkl.

Thorpe 55g is zen. Once bought and typed on, you'll achieve enlightenment.

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 06:05:19 »
Would really want to join the leopold and poker hype one day, for now I need to stick with tkl.

Thorpe 55g is zen. Once bought and typed on, you'll achieve enlightenment.

Lol.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 19:35:52 »
loving my hhkb so far. Getting used to the layout has been easier than expected.

gonna need blank caps soon!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline feizor

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 03:56:04 »
Wow, 6 pages of reasons to get go Topre. I'm starting to feel an itch.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 05:40:43 »
Wow, 6 pages of reasons to get go Topre. I'm starting to feel an itch.

You need to scratch that itch!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rafen

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 06:10:36 »
Not to jack the thread but... Browns would be similar to 45g or 55g topre? Trying to decide which uniform version to buy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 06:17:21 »
Not to jack the thread but... Browns would be similar to 45g or 55g topre? Trying to decide which uniform version to buy.

Probably closer to 45g.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Suichoy

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 08:24:22 »
I tried a number of Realforce and HHKB keyboards in Tokyo and they were extremely underwhelming. I did a side-by-side comparison with browns (my main switch) and much preferred the Cherrys over the Topre. Maybe you'll love Topre but it's definitely just a personal preference, just like between reds and blues. Try it before you buy it.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 09:41:31 »
The thing about Topre is that it's underwhelming for the first week of using it. So you are correct, Suichoy,  that it doesn't seem a big deal. But after one week, it will grab you and gives you pleasure and won't let go and you will be wondering why you even think about Cherru. Topre is like drugs, you know. It sucked in the beginning but became addictive the more you use.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 12:32:26 »
Or not :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 12:53:54 »
The thing about Topre is that it's underwhelming for the first week of using it. So you are correct, Suichoy,  that it doesn't seem a big deal. But after one week, it will grab you and gives you pleasure and won't let go and you will be wondering why you even think about Cherru. Topre is like drugs, you know. It sucked in the beginning but became addictive the more you use.

This. Have my HHKB Pro 2 for merely a week and I am already planning to buy the Type S. First I was more like: damn this is more linear than tactile and heavy (IMHO), where's my Browns. And very very quickly in only three days I got the hang of it and I even no longer switch back and forth. I would like to add to your analogy, this drugs is also very expensive :p HHKB Pro 2 Type S is 356 ex shipping, ex import taxes for me (EU). So make that around 450 dollars I guess... damn.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 12:55:33 »

For me, My 45 Topres feel more like 55 Cherries. But then again, my Browns are worn in and my Topres are brand new.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:09:38 »
Does anyone know where I can order a 45g uniform, Elitekeyboards is so out and I would like to do it today? Or would 55 gram be better? Thanks everyone for your input so far. I'm really excited about getting one of these boards.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 15:00:14 »
Does anyone know where I can order a 45g uniform, Elitekeyboards is so out and I would like to do it today? Or would 55 gram be better? Thanks everyone for your input so far. I'm really excited about getting one of these boards.

If you buy the 55g uniform and don't like it I'm sure you could find someone willing to trade their 45g uniform vs yours.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Rafen

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 17:46:07 »
I went ahead a pulled the trigger...Got the Realforce 55g. Can't wait for it to get here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 17:48:04 »
I went ahead a pulled the trigger...Got the Realforce 55g. Can't wait for it to get here.

Nice :)

Black or white version?

Offline Rafen

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 18:52:34 »

Nice :)

Black or white version?

Black version. That was the only one available. 

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 19:23:38 »
loving my hhkb so far. Getting used to the layout has been easier than expected.

Why are you selling your current HHKB Pro 2 then? :P

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 19:54:20 »

I saw that listing too...heh. :eek:

Offline feizor

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 10:36:14 »

I saw that listing too...heh. :eek:

Why? Are you going back to MX?

Offline tribade

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:35:46 »
omg the HHKB showed up today and so far I love it. It's completely different from the feel of MX switches, and I originally thought that that'd be a bad thing. It's not! Now I just have to get used to the backspace key location. If I can't get used to this layout I will be getting a 660c for sure. Something tells me I will get used to it though.

Anyone got some cool topre caps!?

Glad you like it, too!  HHKB was my second mech board, because I loved the form factor.  I've been switching around boards ever since.  I don't think I'll ever get too many boards.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 01:13:06 »
I'm still trying to hold out for the novatouch, but I'm getting tired of waiting and bringing my blackbird into work every day.  I might just have to buy something else soon.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:00:13 »
Well the only real advantage to the Novatouch is you can use MX keycaps..which is an advantage no doubt...but I don't think someone will be unhappy with the stock keycaps on a HHKB or Realforce..they're really good..

I want a Novatouch but I want to wait until people have tried it with other caps, etc...a bit concerned about how the keys feel/travel..

Offline feizor

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:05:51 »
I hope the novatouch doesn't come with too much gamer branding. I very much prefer the HHKB aesthetically.

Offline tbc

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:06:24 »
doesn't matter if the stock caps are good or not.  people will want variety and no one enjoys paying $100 for a set....not to mention there are no topre groupbuys.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:12:19 »
doesn't matter if the stock caps are good or not.  people will want variety and no one enjoys paying $100 for a set....not to mention there are no topre groupbuys.

You seem to think everyone buys extra keycaps..which isn't true....

It certainly does matter that the RF and HHKB stock keycaps are good...If they're already good, some people won't care if alternatives are available...If they're terrible, some people will. 

Will the Novatouch keep the RF or HHKB from being made?  It doesn't look like it...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:13:55 »

It certainly does matter that the RF and HHKB stock keycaps are good...If they're already good, some people won't care if alternatives are available...If they're terrible, some people will. 

Will the Novatouch keep the RF or HHKB from being made?  It doesn't look like it...

That's the thing though - there are very few replacement Topre keycap sets, and those are rapidly disappearing with no more being made.

Basically you buy a Topre keyboard - you are stuck with the keycaps that it comes with.

Offline feizor

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:35:30 »

That's the thing though - there are very few replacement Topre keycap sets, and those are rapidly disappearing with no more being made.

Basically you buy a Topre keyboard - you are stuck with the keycaps that it comes with.

Better choose carefully then ;)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:38:11 »

No doubt...That is definitely a concern for those that want to replace or mess around with keycaps...

Ultimately is that a huge deal?  Not really...For a lot of GHers it might be..for everyone else?  *shrug*.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 10:48:13 »

No doubt...That is definitely a concern for those that want to replace or mess around with keycaps...

Ultimately is that a huge deal?  Not really...For a lot of GHers it might be..for everyone else?  *shrug*.

Tbh, I like my PBT keycaps from my HHKB Pro 2 (with what I'm stuck with) much better than my Ducky PBT's. So although I'm basically stuck with what EliteKeyboard ships, I have the idea that the quality is also better. But perhaps this is all subjective and I should try out another set (e.g., DSA PBT) on my Filco.

Offline feizor

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 12:28:17 »
Hey guys, just to confirm, is HHKB Pro 2 black the same as dark gray? Is it the same color just with different names or are they actually 2 different colors?

Offline avtar

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 12:59:35 »
Hey guys, just to confirm, is HHKB Pro 2 black the same as dark gray? Is it the same color just with different names or are they actually 2 different colors?

It's the same. The HHKB Pro 2 only comes in white or black (also referred to as grey).

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 13:09:36 »

It's the same. The HHKB Pro 2 only comes in white or black (also referred to as grey).

It's really deep dark gray (I believe some call it charcoal). It's closer to black than gray, but my Filco stock is much "blacker" than my HHKB Pro 2.

Offline feizor

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 13:19:05 »

It's really deep dark gray (I believe some call it charcoal). It's closer to black than gray, but my Filco stock is much "blacker" than my HHKB Pro 2.

Cool, thanks for confirming.