Author Topic: convince me to buy a topre keyboard  (Read 23647 times)

Offline nar

Re: convince me to buy a topre keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:08:02 »
Why should you buy a topre? Because 1. your interested and 2. high end topres hold their value.

Buy a Realforce or a HHKB, try it out for a month or two. If you don't like it, you can resell it for almost its full value. If you do then great you have an amazing keyboard now. But even better, if you like it but don't feel it's worth the $200+, sell it and then buy a cheaper realforce or Typeheaven.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:10:09 »
Ha ha ha.. It's a pleasure.

I often questioned where my rational and logical self is because somehow, with mech keyboards, they were thrown out the windows. Sometimes, sitting in front of my PC, late at night, I would stare at the keyboard, dazed and uncomprehending, wondering how in the world did I end up spending $500 on a keyboard (Topre plus all the caps sitting beautifully on the clusters, untapped because you know, fingers are dirty)? And then I have lots of reasons not to upgrade my old iPhone 4s with broken speaker. Or you know, send the car for service. Or go see a dentist.

There you are, just pure lust, that makes your mind foggy and your senses altered. All rationality goes away. So, back to the point, now please convince me to buy an expensive rubber dome keyboard.  :p

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 00:33:55 »
So, back to the point, now please convince me to buy an expensive rubber dome keyboard.  :p
That's alright. We still love you no matter you take the red or bill pill but if you insist, let me point you to the topee keyboard brothel (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40658.1950) and show you some keyboard pr0n:

Offline mougrim

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 04:56:30 »
Heh. I understand topre switches are most likely isn't for me, as I love sound and tactile feedback of BS and Cherry switches too much.

Blues were my first switch, and I was instantly in love. Buckling springs are much better than Blues to me in sound and feel, but Blues/Greens remain my favorite MX switches. But even though I love the sound, feel, and clickiness, Topre has still managed to get in there and tie itself up with BS for me.

I'm never in the "omg only Topre best ever" group, but I don't think you should completely disregard it based on that assumption, just like I believe you shouldn't do for any mechanical switch. You just never know until you try them, regardless of others' opinions.

As for now, I'm alternating my typing experience between Unicomp BS one at home and Poker II with blues at work. Before that I was typing for two years on Razer's BlackWidow - also MX Blues.

Kinda tempted to try Topre - but for now it seems to me too expensive, and, besides, there ain't very many custom keycaps for Topre switches.

If you want to try it and keycaps are the issue, and seeing as you don't seem in too much of a rush, perhaps you should just wait for the Novatouch.

Hmm... Topre keyboard with mx-compatible stems? Worth looking into! And CM build quality, as I understand, pretty decent...
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline tototo

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 09:22:06 »
There's Leopold 660C which is what you are looking for, tototo.
While it's certainly possible to adapt to that layout I am so happy with the Poker that I will want that from now on. Also a way to justify not getting a Topre now that I had the chance. :) Let's see if coolermaster dare make something smaller than TKL with either MX or Topre.
PokerII.ahk | Ducky G2Pro TKLDucky MiniPoker II, Ergodox ClassicErgodox Full hand | For sale: KBT Pure ProDucky YYY TKL

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 10:40:44 »
So, back to the point, now please convince me to buy an expensive rubber dome keyboard.  :p
That's alright. We still love you no matter you take the red or bill pill but if you insist, let me point you to the topee keyboard brothel (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40658.1950) and show you some keyboard pr0n:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

You are a good photographer by all means. the $300 usd are still safe in my pocket.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 10:47:10 »
No wonder I am not in sales IRL, sigh...

(but you are wise, sir!)

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 11:46:25 »
well i bought a gently used HHKB pro 2. I'll let you guys know what I think when it comes in. There are definitely weak points in my current mx blue ducky 9008g2 pro. The pbt caps are amazing to type on (and so are the switches) but it is too big to move often and bad for fps or any gaming requiring button-mashing.

topre here i come
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 11:47:48 »
well i bought a gently used HHKB pro 2. I'll let you guys know what I think when it comes in. There are definitely weak points in my current mx blue ducky 9008g2 pro. The pbt caps are amazing to type on (and so are the switches) but it is too big to move often and bad for fps or any gaming requiring button-mashing.

topre here i come

Topre is even worse for double-tapping, lol.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline lonedruid

• Red switch fan
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 12:45:20 »
No, i wont. the fact that you are a keyboard geek like us and you are on geekhack means that at some point you are just gonna give into the temptation. It is just a matter of time,when you drop off the precipice.  It is just so hard to control your urge when most of the ppl here are talking about their RealForce 87us and Leopold FC660cs, and HHKBs. :p
Steelseries 6gv2 red switch
Ducky shine 3 TKL blue switch http://i.imgur.com/5LcUxh.jpg
HHKB Professional 2 no-blank http://i.imgur.com/JSIa1.pngk

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 14:18:42 »
Get the Topre keyboard. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 14:24:13 »
No wonder I am not in sales IRL, sigh...

(but you are wise, sir!)

;D :D :p :thumb:

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 14:38:58 »
55g Topre or don't even bother. 45g is underwhelming and you'd most likely be disappointed. Topre definitely blows MX out of the water.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 14:41:31 »
Can we get this stickied? It will come up again...

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 14:44:09 »
55g Topre or don't even bother. 45g is underwhelming and you'd most likely be disappointed. Topre definitely blows MX out of the water.

I much prefer the 45g.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 15:30:55 »

What you just said only applies to a world without personal preferences.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline keymaster

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 17:18:26 »

Have you had the chance to feel the glory that is 55g Topre?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 17:21:17 »

Nope, just 45g Realforce and HHKB, and I'm not dissapointed with them. I want to try 55g but it can wait. :P ONE DAY.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 17:29:17 »

should i if my hands think 45g is not too light or heavy? people say the 45g is mushy but i don't feel that way at all.

Offline aref

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 19:13:43 »
If you're considering a Topre KB, no one has to convince you; you've likely convinced yourself. If there's a question, it's selecting which Topre keyboard to buy. I suspect, like many of us who own Topre boards, you're likely to buy several, one of which you may sell, as you test and test until you find 'the' Topre switch that suits you.

For me, Topre's 45-gram switch is too light and feels a bit unresponsive; the switch collapses under my finger pressure. And when compared with the 55-gram, the 45-gram lacks feel. Again, this is my experience; and I'm a heavy-handed typist who bottoms-out key strikes. If I want to change to a lighter switch, I have an inexpensive Corsair K65 keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches. However, for the best typing experience, I've yet to find a KB, including the venerated IBM Model M and Model M SSK, that rivals my Realforce 87U/55g keyboard. Among all the other-than-Realforce keyboards I've owned that I thought might replace my 55-gram 87UB, the thought was short-lived because each time I return to my 87UB, I rediscover this key switch and  keyboard. Also, the spacial relationship of the key caps/switches on Realforce KBs suit me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 April 2014, 09:48:19 by SSKGuy »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:10:15 »

I have..and I prefer 45g.  55g is snappier but it also requires more force to use.

If we come back to what sells and why 45g is more popular..I'm sure it wasn't because all the manufacturers have thought 55g was the best but decided to make 45g instead.  I know this is hard to understand because a lot of people can't grasp how others may possibly have a different preference to them.   

Some people like 55g..and that's great...and if someone prefers heavier switches I'd definitely point them towards 55g...otherwise I'd probably stick with the popular version first...

Offline keymaster

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:41:13 »

I have..and I prefer 45g.  55g is snappier but it also requires more force to use.

If we come back to what sells and why 45g is more popular..I'm sure it wasn't because all the manufacturers have thought 55g was the best but decided to make 45g instead.  I know this is hard to understand because a lot of people can't grasp how others may possibly have a different preference to them.   

Some people like 55g..and that's great...and if someone prefers heavier switches I'd definitely point them towards 55g...otherwise I'd probably stick with the popular version first...

I wouldn't call 45g "popular" but rather the "stock" version. Of course, it's all preference, but many people here who've tried both have proclaimed 55g to be superior.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 21:32:22 »
I wouldn't call 45g "popular" but rather the "stock" version. Of course, it's all preference, but many people here who've tried both have proclaimed 55g to be superior.

It is more popular...

If 55g was determined to be superior..by peoples preferences or by testing, etc, etc...Surely they'd be selling a lot more of them right?  They don't because it isn't preferred by a majority and testing I'm sure has shown it to be on the heavier side for most users...

There are definitely a good number of users on GH that prefer 55g..but you also see them because they're vocal about it...And yet you have many many users with HHKBs (45g), 660c (45g), 45g RF, Variable RF, etc, none of which are 55g RFs..

I'm not saying which is better since what is better for any individual is a personal choice...but if by calling 45g stock you mean to say 55g is an upgraded version..that is pretty delusional...55g is there as a niche product because some people want a heavier switch..some people will definitely prefer it..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 22:09:46 »
Never ending understanding, never ending complaining, never ending claming.

All of them lack of warrants, just blah, blah, blah.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 22:50:12 »
never ending claming.

Of the mammary glands?

Offline keymaster

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 22:52:23 »

It is more popular...

If 55g was determined to be superior..by peoples preferences or by testing, etc, etc...Surely they'd be selling a lot more of them right?  They don't because it isn't preferred by a majority and testing I'm sure has shown it to be on the heavier side for most users...

There are definitely a good number of users on GH that prefer 55g..but you also see them because they're vocal about it...And yet you have many many users with HHKBs (45g), 660c (45g), 45g RF, Variable RF, etc, none of which are 55g RFs..

I'm not saying which is better since what is better for any individual is a personal choice...but if by calling 45g stock you mean to say 55g is an upgraded version..that is pretty delusional...55g is there as a niche product because some people want a heavier switch..some people will definitely prefer it..

45g is stock as in the standard weight for Topre switches, given that most Topre boards are made with 45g. Even the new Coolermaster Topre keyboard will be 45g. Just because it's the most-produced doesn't make it "popular". How many here will claim that MX Brown is the most popular MX, when it's simply just the most produced switch?

55g or go home, heathens.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 23:32:26 »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 00:08:09 »
60794-0

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 00:12:26 »
(Attachment Link)

topre owners are the gingers of the keyboard community

they all hate us, but they want to have sex with us.

that's what I got from that picture.

riotonthebay is the old dude tho, because he's like us but not really.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 00:17:43 »
55g or go home, heathens.

QFT

You know you want this.

Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 00:25:06 »
Get the Leo, trust me man.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 01:13:27 »
Slightly off topic, but if this will help to convince you ...

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Polymer

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 03:35:32 »
45g is stock as in the standard weight for Topre switches, given that most Topre boards are made with 45g. Even the new Coolermaster Topre keyboard will be 45g. Just because it's the most-produced doesn't make it "popular". How many here will claim that MX Brown is the most popular MX, when it's simply just the most produced switch?

Again, if you were producing a Topre keyboard...wouldn't you pick the one that will be liked by a majority?  Of course you would....It is by far the most popular weight and picked by these producers for a reason.  If any one of these producers thought 55g would have been more widely accepted they would have used that...

I know that concept is hard for people to accept...

Offline mougrim

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 04:34:51 »
Guys... You Topre owners are frickin' sect  ;D
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 06:32:30 »

(Attachment Link)

topre owners are the gingers of the keyboard community

they all hate us, but they want to have sex with us.

that's what I got from that picture.

riotonthebay is the old dude tho, because he's like us but not really.

I AM TOO ONE OF YOU!!!

* riotonthebay sobs

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 08:54:17 »
This is the ultimate try to link Topre with something attractive, but sort of out of place references. Red heads and sex? Come on guys be more creative.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 10:26:07 »
This is the ultimate try to link Topre with something attractive, but sort of out of place references. Red heads and sex? Come on guys be more creative.

Yep. I don't want to bang my keyboard in THAT sense.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:55:32 »

Luckily not too many, as the significant majority of Topre owners have a 45g version on an HHKB, FC660C, and Realforce. Can you stop kidding yourself here? People like light switches, that's why we have rubber domes, scissor switches, light MX, and 45g Topre to supplant the Model M and typewriter-weight keyboards, and lighter MX is more popular than heavy by an order of magnitude.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 12:04:25 »

Luckily not too many, as the significant majority of Topre owners have a 45g version on an HHKB, FC660C, and Realforce. Can you stop kidding yourself here? People like light switches, that's why we have rubber domes, scissor switches, light MX, and 45g Topre to supplant the Model M and typewriter-weight keyboards, and lighter MX is more popular than heavy by an order of magnitude.

It's true ive had 55g 87u and 55g hhkb pro 2. Could've had 55g Leopold fc660c. I prefer 45g it's my favorite. I know people on here with all 30g hhkbs and 87us. It all comes down to preference.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 12:07:29 »

55g is only heavy if you have frail hands and don't deserve to behold such greatness.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 13:24:03 »
Hypebeasts, we know aboutcha
Don't buy keyboards unless they're popular

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 14:30:53 »

55g is only heavy if you have frail hands and don't deserve to behold such greatness.

It's alright, child. You can always talk about how your tool is better than others, but we all know you don't know how to use it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 15:35:58 »
Child.

lolololol

55g is only heavy if you have frail hands and don't deserve to behold such greatness

Preach brother.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 April 2014, 15:38:33 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 16:57:52 »
Whatever you do, don't get a hhkb2, it feels like a toy!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 April 2014, 22:18:50 by hashbaz »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 18:28:47 »

FWIW very few people agree with your assessment.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 April 2014, 22:18:58 by hashbaz »

Offline keymaster

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 18:31:11 »

FWIW very few people agree with your assessment.

I think he's onto something. It explains why people are trying to make it heavier by placing coins inside.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 April 2014, 22:19:05 by hashbaz »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 18:34:24 »
The lightness of the HHKB is actually something I enjoy. I have blue lounge strips under mine, so it doesn't move a tiny bit. It makes for a great travel board as well.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 18:36:22 »

Yep. I don't want to bang my keyboard in THAT sense.

:p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 20:23:46 »

People like light switches, that's why we have rubber domes

I thought rubber domes were considered 'heavy'?