Author Topic: convince me to buy a topre keyboard  (Read 23575 times)

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
convince me to buy a topre keyboard
« on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 14:41:43 »
I started my mech journey with a model m in high school for my gaming rig

been using MX blues for years now.

I hear topre is great. why? is the tactile feel anything like an mx switch? do i get audible feedback if I don't bottom-out? as you can tell, i love clicky boards.

mostly i'm just looking for an excuse to get a 660 or hhkb. convince me!

Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: convince me to buy a topre keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 14:43:49 »
I love my MX boards but I love my FC660C more! The feeling is great for daily typing. I also game on it! Also the thock sound is too die for.  :thumb:

Offline juguerre

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:03:33 »
I really love my Realforce, is sooo smooth  :p. But, my friend, if you really like clicky switches maybe topre is not your way to go. I would say that topre is the opposite to clicky.

Cheers
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline Xaviz

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:25:52 »
no

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:27:12 »
if u like clicky then prob no. just find a common rd and if its 1% enjoyable, then topre may be an option, but i doubt it

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:28:16 »
just find a common rd and if its 1% enjoyable, then topre may be an option, but i doubt it

wut

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:38:36 »
It sounds really nice.

thock-thock instead of click-clack

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:39:28 »
I started out on an IBM XT keyboard, then moved to a full-size IBM Model M, and now I use an IBM SSK reconfigured to a HHKB Pro 2 layout. Along the way, I tried out a wide variety of form factors (60%, 75%, TKL, and full-size), layouts (ANSI, ISO, and HHKB), switches (Alps, Buckling Spring Capacitive, Buckling Spring Membrane, Cherry --blue, black, brown, clear, green, red, white --, Matias Tactile, Rubber Dome, and Topre 45g),  and keyboard makers, including most of the usual suspects (AST, CM, Dell, Ducky, Filco, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Keycool, Leopold, Tek, and Unicomp).

After all this, two all-time favorites have emerged:

The IBM Model M SSK and the HHKB Pro 2. I really liked the HHKB Pro 2, as you can see in my review:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48804.0

However, more recently, I have been missing the precise feedback that I get from the IBM SSK, and so I went back to the IBM. This initially proved difficult, because I had adapted almost immediately to the highly intuitive and efficient layout of the HHKB. Therefore, I reconfigured the IBM to the HHKB layout, as you can see in this post on DT:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/ibm-ssk-reconfigured-as-hhkb-via-krm4mb-t7719.html

I like both, the IBM SSK and the HHKB Pro 2, for different reasons. Now that my IBM has the HHKB layout, I can easily switch between them.

As for Topre, my first experience was with the Leopold FC660C; I liked the feel of this board, but I much prefer the layout and dye-sub PBT keycaps of the HHKB Pro 2. If I were to get another Topre board, I think it would be the 55g RF 87u, although I have not tried this one.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:49:58 »
No need to convince you,  just do it and you will be glad that you did.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:53:08 »
just find a common rd and if its 1% enjoyable, then topre may be an option, but i doubt it

wut

Pacifist

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 17:05:40 »
Just buy one.

If you don't like it (after a week or two), then sell it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 17:09:56 »
if u like clicky then prob no. just find a common rd and if its 1% enjoyable, then topre may be an option, but i doubt it

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 17:58:27 »
I just picked one up in classifieds, but it's still in the mail so I can't speak to the switches themselves (and cannot comment if they are worth the money), but for the decision making my justification was:

1. Amount of time I spent thinking about it vs. value of said time
Spent so long fighting myself I thought why the heck not just satisfy the curiosity.  If I monetized the amount of time that I spent thinking it over with myself...easily enough to make up for a Topre.  Additional time spent could be costly, as well.

2. I spend 90% of my work day and a good portion of my private life in front of a keyboard.
I spend half mylife on a mattress, so I have a nice mattress.  I spend over 50% of my day with a keyboard.  Let's go all in.

3. Resell Value
They don't seem to depreciate too much.  Cheapest I could find was 175 for a used that was a few months old, and that deal was hard to find.  So worst case you lose 30-50 bucks if you REALLY need to liquidate fast.  Otherwise you're out maybe 10-30 (shipping etc).

I will say though that if money is an issue, I wouldn't even consider it because it is pretty expensive when you realize that a working keyboard can be bought for 5 bucks.  This is a Luxury item?  Feel like treating yourself?

If it fits in your budget, why not go for it?  Worst case if it sucks you can make up for it by spamming the forums :)

Hope this helps.  Sorry if spam

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 19:16:47 »
It won't be like MX Blues...There is no audible feedback except the sound you get when you bottom out..which will happen...The tactile feedback is really just the dome collapsing and all the resistance is at the beginning of the stroke down. 

It will be very similar in feel to a rubber dome keyboard..because there is a rubber dome.  But it will be far more stable, smoother and when you bottom it feels really solid...it also gives you a very satisfying "thock" when you hit bottom...

I think the main thing is not to expect to be like Cherry Blue or any type of MX switch..because it isn't that..and if you want it to be like that, wouldn't you just stick with what you wanted it to be like?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 19:17:40 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 19:32:48 »
convince me!

Do it.

QFT

A good quality Topre board you can sell for pretty much what you paid for it, in the event you decide you don't like it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline intelli78

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 20:34:00 »
Of all the boards in my collection, my FC660C is my favorite. Do it.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 20:57:50 »
dont
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 21:06:21 »
It's much less precise for typing and doesn't let you press halfway, can't double tap well at all, etc.
Feels the best to me, but it's outclassed for gaming by linear and for typing by clicky.
Don't buy one if the feeling isn't incredibly important.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline lunr

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 23:54:28 »
just do it

Offline tototo

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:00:23 »
I have been all "yeah, go topre!" based on all the positive writings about HHKB and Realforce and have eagerly been waiting for that time I finally get to try one. Today in Akihabara, seeing the HHKB Pro2 waiting for me to finger it I was overjoyed but as soon as I started typing I realized that this was not for me. Almost in despair I try other realforce boards and while the all 45g or all 30g are ok I cannot overcome the get past the feeling of rubberdome. This after repeatedly trying them in different stores to ensure it's not just the first few seconds deciding for me.

To put this in perspective I am using Pokers with MX Red and Black at work and home respectively and the tactileness of Topre didn't appeal at all now. Additionally it felt like they bottomed out much sooner than MX so while the HHKB is amazingly pretty it is not be for me. I will continue pimping my pokers instead.
PokerII.ahk | Ducky G2Pro TKLDucky MiniPoker II, Ergodox ClassicErgodox Full hand | For sale: KBT Pure ProDucky YYY TKL

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:11:24 »
I have been all "yeah, go topre!" based on all the positive writings about HHKB and Realforce and have eagerly been waiting for that time I finally get to try one. Today in Akihabara, seeing the HHKB Pro2 waiting for me to finger it I was overjoyed but as soon as I started typing I realized that this was not for me. Almost in despair I try other realforce boards and while the all 45g or all 30g are ok I cannot overcome the get past the feeling of rubberdome. This after repeatedly trying them in different stores to ensure it's not just the first few seconds deciding for me.

To put this in perspective I am using Pokers with MX Red and Black at work and home respectively and the tactileness of Topre didn't appeal at all now. Additionally it felt like they bottomed out much sooner than MX so while the HHKB is amazingly pretty it is not be for me. I will continue pimping my pokers instead.

It is totally reasonable to not like Topre, though I will say that I and many other people here believe that it takes much longer than one session (or even a few sessions spaced out over time) to really appreciate cup rubber. A quick anecdote:

Before I switched to a HHKB as my daily driver, I had a kick ass MX board. Hammer Ti aluminum case, fully-programmable PCB, totally custom layout based on my preferences, 62g lubed ergo-clears. I sold both of my kidneys to fund it, and I thought I had it all.

One day, I switched boards with someone who had an original HHKB, because I was curious about Topre. I spent an entire day for it, and at the end of the day I was happy to get my keyboard back. "It's not for me," I said. Except the finger feels lingered. A seed of doubt had been planted. And as the days went by, my awesome ****ing MX board started feeling more and more inadequate…

So I got a HHKB Pro 2, and the second my hands descended on it, I realized that I had become one with the cup on accident. A solid beam of sunlight immediately burst through the closest window, illuminating me and my keyboard.

I sold the MX board that week.

Moral of the story: save yourself money, buy a HHKB.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:26:08 »
It won't be like MX Blues...There is no audible feedback except the sound you get when you bottom out..which will happen...The tactile feedback is really just the dome collapsing and all the resistance is at the beginning of the stroke down. 

It will be very similar in feel to a rubber dome keyboard..because there is a rubber dome.  But it will be far more stable, smoother and when you bottom it feels really solid...it also gives you a very satisfying "thock" when you hit bottom...

I think the main thing is not to expect to be like Cherry Blue or any type of MX switch..because it isn't that..and if you want it to be like that, wouldn't you just stick with what you wanted it to be like?

Still can't understand... why buy board with expensive switches, if it the end all you get is basically slightly improved rubber dome one? Isn't it cheaper just to get some not completely ****ty rd board?

Enlighten me, pretty please :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline tototo

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:38:35 »

It is totally reasonable to not like Topre, though I will say that I and many other people here believe that it takes much longer than one session (or even a few sessions spaced out over time) to really appreciate cup rubber. A quick anecdote:

Before I switched to a HHKB as my daily driver, I had a kick ass MX board. Hammer Ti aluminum case, fully-programmable PCB, totally custom layout based on my preferences, 62g lubed ergo-clears. I sold both of my kidneys to fund it, and I thought I had it all.

One day, I switched boards with someone who had an original HHKB, because I was curious about Topre. I spent an entire day for it, and at the end of the day I was happy to get my keyboard back. "It's not for me," I said. Except the finger feels lingered. A seed of doubt had been planted. And as the days went by, my awesome ****ing MX board started feeling more and more inadequate…

So I got a HHKB Pro 2, and the second my hands descended on it, I realized that I had become one with the cup on accident. A solid beam of sunlight immediately burst through the closest window, illuminating me and my keyboard.

I sold the MX board that week.

Moral of the story: save yourself money, buy a HHKB.

You sir planted the seed of doubt now... Will tomorrow take a quick trip and touch one up again, likely it purchase too. You know, just to make sure I have one for the time I wish to reevaluate my initial impression. Trusting in the resell value in case I end up not wanting it.
PokerII.ahk | Ducky G2Pro TKLDucky MiniPoker II, Ergodox ClassicErgodox Full hand | For sale: KBT Pure ProDucky YYY TKL

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:43:21 »

Still can't understand... why buy board with expensive switches, if it the end all you get is basically slightly improved rubber dome one? Isn't it cheaper just to get some not completely ****ty rd board?

because it feels like a hug for your fingers
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Polymer

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:55:27 »

It isn't slightly better..most people that like it feel there is a significant difference....but there will be strong similarities as well.  I think what a lot of people can't get over is if it is similar to a normal rubber dome, they feel it can't be good or can't be worth it.  For people that like Topre, what you end up with is a very pleasing experience and it makes it hard to go back to other keyboards..both mechanical and normal rubber dome...I actually think the overall experience is actually enhanced when you go back and forth to your other boards.

The reality is, if you haven't made the value judgement of buying a mechanical vs. a 10/20 dollar rubber dome keyboard and decided you're willing to pay a significant premium then every mechanical isn't really worth getting over a cheap keyboard....they do the same thing they function equally well.  I definitely don't try to convince myself I'm going to type any faster or game any better...but the overall experience is enhanced and if I'm using a keyboard a good portion of the day, why wouldn't I want my overall experience to just better a more enjoyable one? 

Offline mougrim

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 09:03:28 »

It isn't slightly better..most people that like it feel there is a significant difference....but there will be strong similarities as well.  I think what a lot of people can't get over is if it is similar to a normal rubber dome, they feel it can't be good or can't be worth it.  For people that like Topre, what you end up with is a very pleasing experience and it makes it hard to go back to other keyboards..both mechanical and normal rubber dome...I actually think the overall experience is actually enhanced when you go back and forth to your other boards.

The reality is, if you haven't made the value judgement of buying a mechanical vs. a 10/20 dollar rubber dome keyboard and decided you're willing to pay a significant premium then every mechanical isn't really worth getting over a cheap keyboard....they do the same thing they function equally well.  I definitely don't try to convince myself I'm going to type any faster or game any better...but the overall experience is enhanced and if I'm using a keyboard a good portion of the day, why wouldn't I want my overall experience to just better a more enjoyable one?

Heh. I understand topre switches are most likely isn't for me, as I love sound and tactile feedback of BS and Cherry switches too much.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 09:30:57 »
Do it.

I have used Cherry MX Blues for over three years, and enjoy using them.

I have been using a Unicomp Ultra Classic at work for about six months, and enjoy it.

I have owned my Realforce for a little over a week, and am now saving to get another one for work.

"No topre, no peace. Know topre, know peace"

I posted a thread about the Leopold F660c being back in stock, but I was hesitant to purchase cause I did not try Topre yet.

I have now tried Topre, and the F660c is out of stock. It haunts me daily that I did not purchase when it was in stock. I'll get over it, eventually. I really hope EK/Leopold come through with another compact Topre board.

Currently contemplating trying an HHKB.

:D :thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:12:36 »
Do it.

I have been using a Unicomp Ultra Classic at work for about six months, and enjoy it.

I have owned my Realforce for a little over a week, and am now saving to get another one for work.

I posted a thread about the Leopold F660c being back in stock, but I was hesitant to purchase cause I did not try Topre yet.

I have now tried Topre, and the F660c is out of stock. It haunts me daily that I did not purchase when it was in stock. I'll get over it, eventually. I really hope EK/Leopold come through with another compact Topre board.

Fanaticism aside, have you looked for the blank version? When the normal FC660C was out of stock a week ago, the blanks were still around.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:27:17 »
Just buy one. ;)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Lurch

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:50:58 »
Do it.

Fanaticism aside, have you looked for the blank version? When the normal FC660C was out of stock a week ago, the blanks were still around.

Yeah. I'm considering it, and it is still in stock at EK. I'm trying to hold off for the Novatouch, or to see if EK gets any new Topre inventory in the near future.

If there was a wider selection of alternative keycaps for the F660c, I would buy the blank one.

I wonder if Leopold has a newer compact Topre board in the works... :blank:

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:55:32 »
My reasoning is pretty simple. No matter what keyboard you end up with today, if it's not Topre, you will be left wondering how Topre feels like. You will continue reading about how people who have it are the master and winning race while the cherry users are considered peasants. And you will look at your keyboard and wonder, "do I want to be peasants all my life?";  "I have this wallet here and I can choose to be the master race. " And then you start posting in a thread to ask people to convince- oh .. wait... JUST GET IT! JOIN US!

-- typed on a RF 55g..

Offline Polymer

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:01:01 »
I think some people set the wrong expectations with Topre..

It isn't some magical switch..but is it enjoyable to type on?  I think so...Do I think everyone is going to like it right away?  I'd probably say at least half the people that try it at first think it is just like any regular rubber dome...Some will give up on it right away..some might stay with it a bit..most of those that use it for awhile and give it a chance will like it..but quite a few will still not like it...

I think for typing it is the most enjoyable switch to use..but I really dislike it for gaming...even more so if it is variable Topre....Thankfully we don't have to stick to just one keyboard or one type of switch..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:04:51 »
I started my mech journey with a model m in high school for my gaming rig

been using MX blues for years now.

I hear topre is great. why? is the tactile feel anything like an mx switch? do i get audible feedback if I don't bottom-out? as you can tell, i love clicky boards.

If you have the money for it, why you have to have an excuse, just go for it. Otherwise, it is very insteresting to see the reasons people have to get one.

Offline Lurch

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:12:26 »
For the record, I love gaming and typing on my Realforce 55g.

I am very curious to how plate-mounted vs pcb-mounted Topres feel different.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:13:19 »
Heh. I understand topre switches are most likely isn't for me, as I love sound and tactile feedback of BS and Cherry switches too much.

Blues were my first switch, and I was instantly in love. Buckling springs are much better than Blues to me in sound and feel, but Blues/Greens remain my favorite MX switches. But even though I love the sound, feel, and clickiness, Topre has still managed to get in there and tie itself up with BS for me.

I'm never in the "omg only Topre best ever" group, but I don't think you should completely disregard it based on that assumption, just like I believe you shouldn't do for any mechanical switch. You just never know until you try them, regardless of others' opinions.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:34:08 »

Blues were my first switch, and I was instantly in love. Buckling springs are much better than Blues to me in sound and feel, but Blues/Greens remain my favorite MX switches. But even though I love the sound, feel, and clickiness, Topre has still managed to get in there and tie itself up with BS for me.

I'm never in the "omg only Topre best ever" group, but I don't think you should completely disregard it based on that assumption, just like I believe you shouldn't do for any mechanical switch. You just never know until you try them, regardless of others' opinions.

As for now, I'm alternating my typing experience between Unicomp BS one at home and Poker II with blues at work. Before that I was typing for two years on Razer's BlackWidow - also MX Blues.

Kinda tempted to try Topre - but for now it seems to me too expensive, and, besides, there ain't very many custom keycaps for Topre switches.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 12:11:12 »

As for now, I'm alternating my typing experience between Unicomp BS one at home and Poker II with blues at work. Before that I was typing for two years on Razer's BlackWidow - also MX Blues.

Kinda tempted to try Topre - but for now it seems to me too expensive, and, besides, there ain't very many custom keycaps for Topre switches.

If you want to try it and keycaps are the issue, and seeing as you don't seem in too much of a rush, perhaps you should just wait for the Novatouch.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 13:21:14 »

It isn't some magical switch..but is it enjoyable to type on?  I think so...Do I think everyone is going to like it right away?  I'd probably say at least half the people that try it at first think it is just like any regular rubber dome...Some will give up on it right away..some might stay with it a bit..most of those that use it for awhile and give it a chance will like it..but quite a few will still not like it...

I think for typing it is the most enjoyable switch to use..but I really dislike it for gaming...even more so if it is variable Topre....Thankfully we don't have to stick to just one keyboard or one type of switch..

Yeah it's funny some people give it a day or a few days then sell it and are anti topre!! Give it a couple week, a month . Best switch ever.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 13:22:34 »

Yeah it's funny some people give it a day or a few days then sell it and are anti topre!! Give it a couple week, a month . Best switch ever.

If you use anything for a month  with everybody around you telling you it's good, you could probably fall in love with a microwave keyboard. If you don't like it, sell it. Don't fall prey to this rubbish.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 16:50:15 »

So, are you convinced yet?

Offline Polymer

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 18:30:45 »

If you use anything for a month  with everybody around you telling you it's good, you could probably fall in love with a microwave keyboard. If you don't like it, sell it. Don't fall prey to this rubbish.

That's not true and doesn't make sense.  They bought the keyboard because people said it was good but if they didn't like it initially at the high point of their expectations then certainly another month of people saying it is good won't influence their decision.  The reason people say to wait a month is because it takes time to evaluate the switch and get used to how it feels.  Coming off of Cherry a lot of people will think it feels too much like their old RD keyboards..and in some ways it does.  It takes time for people to appreciate the difference between it and normal RD keyboards...and then going back between that and their Cherry, etc, also gives a good contrast.  If you still don't like it, of course you should sell it but some people give it less than 30 minutes before making their minds up...why not give it a bit more time before deciding?  It isn't impacting the resale value and you invested time to buy and try the thing..why not give it a fair chance before deciding?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 18:50:26 »
My reasoning is pretty simple. No matter what keyboard you end up with today, if it's not Topre, you will be left wondering how Topre feels like. You will continue reading about how people who have it are the master and winning race while the cherry users are considered peasants. And you will look at your keyboard and wonder, "do I want to be peasants all my life?";  "I have this wallet here and I can choose to be the master race. " And then you start posting in a thread to ask people to convince- oh .. wait... JUST GET IT! JOIN US!

-- typed on a RF 55g..

This argument is full of feelings and lacks facts whatsoever, but well, luxury items always take the route of branding, more than the way of usefulness. "I have this wallet here" so no economics rules apply anymore?

Offline Kliee

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 18:58:22 »

That's not true and doesn't make sense.  They bought the keyboard because people said it was good but if they didn't like it initially at the high point of their expectations then certainly another month of people saying it is good won't influence their decision.  The reason people say to wait a month is because it takes time to evaluate the switch and get used to how it feels.  Coming off of Cherry a lot of people will think it feels too much like their old RD keyboards..and in some ways it does.  It takes time for people to appreciate the difference between it and normal RD keyboards...and then going back between that and their Cherry, etc, also gives a good contrast.  If you still don't like it, of course you should sell it but some people give it less than 30 minutes before making their minds up...why not give it a bit more time before deciding?  It isn't impacting the resale value and you invested time to buy and try the thing..why not give it a fair chance before deciding?

I completely agree. When I tried Topre boards in Akihabara it didn't really felt great. But I knew a lot of people reported they needed time to actually get used to the switch. So, as it was really cheaper there than importing it to France, I took a chance and bought a Realforce. When I first used it on my computer, it felt kinda good, but bot that much. Throught the days and weeks I continued typing on it, I really developed a liking to this board and to the switches, and now I really like them!
Even though I still think of Topre as a guilty pleasure, because they're not really made for good typing in my opinion (I'm less accurate on a Topre than on a BS board or a Mx Clear board for instance), still, the feeling is really nice :).

For OP :

As you are right now, I was using blues before going Topre. First few typing sessions, you'll miss the click and tactile of the blues (there's a bump on the Topre, but it's not linked with the actual actuation, even though they made it so well that it almost always happen at the same time). But if you're like me, you'll be all for Topre in a matter of days. The "tchock tchock" is really more satisfying to the ears than the click of the blues.

So, for me, go Topre, at least to try. But give it at least some days. I think one month may be a little too much. by the end of the first week you should have something close to your definitive impression on the board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 19:06:04 by Kliee »
Topre Realforce 104UB | IBM model M 1391401 (1987 & 1991), 52G9658 (1993), 51G8572 (1994) | Unicomp Customizer 105 (fr) | Unicomp Customizer 101 | Cherry G80-3000 MX Clear | Noppoo Choc Mini Mx Blue | Steelseries Steelkeys 6G V1 Mx Black

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 18:58:40 »

-- typed on a RF 55g..

This argument is full of feelings and lacks facts whatsoever, but well, luxury items always take the route of branding, more than the way of usefulness. "I have this wallet here" so no economics rules apply anymore?

Isn't using a mech keyboard ALL about feel? Poker 2 tag line is Enjoy Your Feeling. Topre tag line is Feeling of Oneness with Cup Rubber. If you are expecting scientific facts on how many mm it takes to actuate or weighing - sure maybe that's your cup of tea - but for many people keyboard is an art. You feel it, you touch it, it makes your heart glad and you cry at night thinking how much money you spent on the keyboard, on the key caps, on the BroBots. Even those caps are all about feel and aesthetics. There is no science to that!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 19:01:58 »

-- typed on a RF 55g..

Isn't using a mech keyboard ALL about feel? Poker 2 tag line is Enjoy Your Feeling. Topre tag line is Feeling of Oneness with Cup Rubber. If you are expecting scientific facts on how many mm it takes to actuate or weighing - sure maybe that's your cup of tea - but for many people keyboard is an art. You feel it, you touch it, it makes your heart glad and you cry at night thinking how much money you spent on the keyboard, on the key caps, on the BroBots. Even those caps are all about feel and aesthetics. There is no science to that!

Well, reading you made me smile, so thank you very much, you just enlightened my afternoon.  :D

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 19:14:36 »
Ha ha ha.. It's a pleasure.

I often questioned where my rational and logical self is because somehow, with mech keyboards, they were thrown out the windows. Sometimes, sitting in front of my PC, late at night, I would stare at the keyboard, dazed and uncomprehending, wondering how in the world did I end up spending $500 on a keyboard (Topre plus all the caps sitting beautifully on the clusters, untapped because you know, fingers are dirty)? And then I have lots of reasons not to upgrade my old iPhone 4s with broken speaker. Or you know, send the car for service. Or go see a dentist.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 19:35:12 »
Yᵒᵘ Oᶰˡʸ Lᶤᵛᵉ Oᶰᶜᵉ

Offline tototo

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:02:15 »
Read up a bit more on the HHKB and realized that no, I will not get one. If there's a 60% Topre with a "normal" layout I'm game but the HHKB differences and work being a windows environment finally ends in a no, however pretty it is. Appreciate this thread for ideas and thoughts on how they differ from MX.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:04:18 »
There's Leopold 660C which is what you are looking for, tototo.