Author Topic: Dyesub Leopold FC660C now in stock at EK  (Read 16196 times)

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
Re: Dyesub Leopold FC660C now in stock at EK
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 12:01:19 »
As the description says on the item I'm pretty sure the space bar is still ABS. In that case I don't really need the legends so I'd rather take the blank version of this keyboard instead.

I used to think that the HHKB looked a lot better than FC660C, but having owned both in the past I can say that I really like the sharp lines and angles of the FC660C. To me, the FC660C has a more adult look to it, while the HHKB is rather small and looks softer too. The new blank FC660C means business :cool:

Does the blank version have a PBT spacebar?

Like said before, no it doesn't. But you can also order 2 replacement black Topre spacebars along with your blank FC660C and you'll be good for a while. You can't buy gray spacebars separately so if the one on the PBT dyesub set gets shiny then there's no undoing that wear and tear.

Will second this advice -- I have 4 extra space bars sitting in a drawer in waiting for when the first finally fades. Is it just me or does it take longer for shine to take effect on the spacebar when it's flipped? I've had my blank FC660C since Feb and there's no sign of wear on the spacebar yet.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline intelli78

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:52:48 »
I received mine today. Here are some unboxing pictures. The domes are nice and stiff--even stiffer than the ones I posted about in this thread. Closest thing to a 55g RF that I've felt.

Build quality is superb, as usual for Leopold.

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/exBdi

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:56:10 »
The domes are nice and stiff--even stiffer than the ones I posted about in this thread. Closest thing to a 55g RF that I've felt.

Science, sir! We want more science.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:57:15 »
I shall do moar science this weekend ^-^

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 17:36:09 »
I ordered mine yesterday around 11am, and didn't get an order confirmation email until today at noon, AFTER I emailed Brian complaining about it.

Still haven't received a shipping notice, and I paid for 2-day shipping too.

:(

Offline dante

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 17:43:55 »
EK is probably Brian's hobby - not his day job.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 17:52:50 »
EK is probably Brian's hobby - not his day job.

Disagree... they have an office/store front in LA. You don't get a store front for your hobby.  :p

I agree, though, he needs to step up his shipping game. Nobody wants to sit around waiting for things to ship, especially when they've paid for airmail.

Offline hrinfinity

• typebeast
  • uptempo
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 00:41:44 »
I received mine today. Here are some unboxing pictures. The domes are nice and stiff--even stiffer than the ones I posted about in this thread. Closest thing to a 55g RF that I've felt.

Build quality is superb, as usual for Leopold.

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/exBdi

Glad you received it. With an even lower serial number! Can't wait for moar science as well  :)
TGR-Jane CE | FC660C | DK9008 Snake

Offline feizor

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 08:48:53 »
As the description says on the item I'm pretty sure the space bar is still ABS. In that case I don't really need the legends so I'd rather take the blank version of this keyboard instead.

I used to think that the HHKB looked a lot better than FC660C, but having owned both in the past I can say that I really like the sharp lines and angles of the FC660C. To me, the FC660C has a more adult look to it, while the HHKB is rather small and looks softer too. The new blank FC660C means business :cool:

Does the blank version have a PBT spacebar?

Like said before, no it doesn't. But you can also order 2 replacement black Topre spacebars along with your blank FC660C and you'll be good for a while. You can't buy gray spacebars separately so if the one on the PBT dyesub set gets shiny then there's no undoing that wear and tear.

Thanks guys, I'll check out these sellers.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 09:46:21 »
I'm puttin tape on my 660c spacebar the moment it comes out of the box

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 09:47:39 »
I ordered mine yesterday around 11am, and didn't get an order confirmation email until today at noon, AFTER I emailed Brian complaining about it.

I think their shipping speed only counts AFTER the 2-3 day processing  :-\

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 09:50:11 »
Somehow I feel grey caps on black case is not as attractive as black on black or white-grey on black. And I also think it's gonna be hard to match this colour with caps.

I just hope they sell the key cap sets for the FC660C at some point.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 12:27:10 »

I think their shipping speed only counts AFTER the 2-3 day processing  :-\

Regardless, I just got a refund of my shipping costs from them. Way awesome! Even though they might not be as communicative as most would like, I've always been taken care of by EK :D

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 20:10:16 »
Caved and finally ordered my first Topre board -- cant wait. Caps look great on this board, and should last ages, very excited.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 20:52:41 »
Caved and finally ordered my first Topre board -- cant wait. Caps look great on this board, and should last ages, very excited.

Congratulations!

When it arrives, please give yourself a week or so to get used to it.  The feel of Topre is quite different to MX, and many people are underwhelmed when first they try Topre.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 23:10:25 »

Congratulations!

When it arrives, please give yourself a week or so to get used to it.  The feel of Topre is quite different to MX, and many people are underwhelmed when first they try Topre.

Thanks for the info, will keep this in mind. Do you just have to break it in a bit?
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 23:12:30 »

Congratulations!

Thanks for the info, will keep this in mind. Do you just have to break it in a bit?

Some say the domes loosen up a bit over time.  I can't say for sure as I got my HHKB secondhand.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 12:24:04 »
Just got mine delivered. I do have a question though for anybody else who has a recent 660: does your spacebar clack when depressed? I don't remember my previous 660c doing that, but this new one makes a sharp clack as if it's hits plastic before bottoming out on the cup. Not a deal breaker, just a bit odd.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 13:09:25 »
Just got mine delivered. I do have a question though for anybody else who has a recent 660: does your spacebar clack when depressed? I don't remember my previous 660c doing that, but this new one makes a sharp clack as if it's hits plastic before bottoming out on the cup. Not a deal breaker, just a bit odd.

Hmm I remember mine being a bit high pitched from the steel plate. But lube and dental band fixed that.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 13:10:18 »

I have owned and used several FC660Cs. Some clacked more than others. I'm not really sure what factors are at play.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 13:43:03 »
Interesting. It might just be a break in issue. It seems to be going away.

Offline dante

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:22:53 »

I have owned and used several FC660Cs. Some clacked more than others. I'm not really sure what factors are at play.

China.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 05:41:57 »
Damn.

Nice board but

1. A little pricey.
2. Dont hate the caps but the grey on black is...meh. At least they are dye sub.
3. I already have an og 660C.

I would really just like to buy a new set of caps for my existing 660C.

Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 17:29:43 »
This board just got to my house today, am typing on it now...and oh my goodness. What have I been doing with my life -- this board is amazing...

Offline intelli78

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 17:39:59 »
This board just got to my house today, am typing on it now...and oh my goodness. What have I been doing with my life -- this board is amazing...

It's a highly legit board. There's a reason it's my daily. Post pix. Here's my setup right now (working remotely)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 19:42:04 »
Oh man, I so want a 23U

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 20:04:40 »

It's a highly legit board. There's a reason it's my daily. Post pix. Here's my setup right now (working remotely)

Show Image

These both came today -- so stoked -- cant decide which one I like more!!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:45:59 »
I've noticed that for some reason, this 660C feels more tactile than my 55g. I believe it has to do with the fact that the difference between the resistance at the top of the stroke and the resistance during key travel is greater (meaning the 55g is stiffer throughout the length of the stroke).

It's an odd feeling.

Offline dante

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 18:18:29 »
does the EK topre black space bar sold individually work on both the 660C and TypeHeaven?

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 19:51:09 »
does the EK topre black space bar sold individually work on both the 660C and TypeHeaven?

Can't comment on the typeheaven but it works on the FC660C. I have 4 sitting in a drawer :)

Offline dook0

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 11:13:23 »
Hey what do you mean by putting tape on the espace bar ?
Ordered mine and can't wait to find out my serial number :)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 11:17:31 »
Hey what do you mean by putting tape on the espace bar ?
Ordered mine and can't wait to find out my serial number :)
tape will prevent the abs space bar from becoming shiny with regular use. 
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 11:22:14 »
Sorry guys,  I try to put my best...  But this keyboard is really ugly. I mean,  specs are very interesting but... Is ugly.  Just can't understand the right empty space.

It's a novelty key spot! gotta have some space around to show them off.   :))

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 12:34:12 »

Just picked mine up from EK (One of the perks of living 5 minutes away from the storefront  :) )

Show Image

Show Image

It's my first Topre keyboard. Can't wait to try it out at work.

I bought mine on Saturday and can't wait for it to arrive. Wow, that looks beautiful.

I had a feeling the keys would be a nicer hue than the picture on EK. All the other boards I saw from Leopold with those color keycaps had a lighter grey/blue color. Much sexier.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the two keys on the side looks cool? Seems like a great area to bring out some novelty keys and get creative.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 12:36:46 by OnTheBrink »

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 13:09:12 »
Just picked mine up from EK (One of the perks of living 5 minutes away from the storefront  :) )

Show Image

Show Image

I bought mine on Saturday and can't wait for it to arrive. Wow, that looks beautiful.

I had a feeling the keys would be a nicer hue than the picture on EK. All the other boards I saw from Leopold with those color keycaps had a lighter grey/blue color. Much sexier.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the two keys on the side looks cool? Seems like a great area to bring out some novelty keys and get creative.

I see what people mean when they say its a poor use of the space, but at the same time I really like the look. Now I just need some Clacks/Bros, but thats another story..

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 13:11:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

I see what people mean when they say its a poor use of the space, but at the same time I really like the look. Now I just need some Clacks/Bros, but thats another story..

You and me both.. :P

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 13:48:35 »

Way ahead of you dude. ;)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 14:24:00 »

Way ahead of you dude. ;)

That you are! /jealousy