Author Topic: [IC] Duck Viper and Eagle  (Read 87224 times)

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
Re: [IC] Duck Viper and Eagle
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 15:34:37 »
Starting to prepare for the Viper...  :D

69104-0

Offline feizor

« Reply #301 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:09:56 »

(Attachment Link)

Is that originative? The light blue legends looks very sweet.

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #302 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 00:09:36 »

(Attachment Link)

Is that originative? The light blue legends looks very sweet.

Yes, it's Originative. I think they turned out pretty good. The set didn't actually come with a spacebar so that's why I ended up getting the Alu one, but I think it looks pretty nice.

Offline keyit

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 02:39:22 »

(Attachment Link)

starting to make some ergo-clears myself in prep for the viper! so anxious lol
boop

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #304 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 13:48:20 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Nice! What is the difference between a standard and an ergo clear? Did you lube them? Also where did you get those LEDs and are they better than standard dome LEDs?

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 13:57:56 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Nice! What is the difference between a standard and an ergo clear? Did you lube them? Also where did you get those LEDs and are they better than standard dome LEDs?
Ergo is spring swap, with 62g and 65g being pretty common.  I think the main reason for DIp led's is the other ones cause problems with certain keycaps.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #306 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 16:45:14 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Ergo is spring swap, with 62g and 65g being pretty common.  I think the main reason for DIp led's is the other ones cause problems with certain keycaps.

Where did you get your DIP LEDs?  I will be needing to pick up some, so I'm extra curious.

Offline keyit

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:05:02 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Where did you get your DIP LEDs?  I will be needing to pick up some, so I'm extra curious.

exactly what xender said, and yes i also lubed them. i got my leds from ebay. the ones im using now are 2x3x4mm, but i think i might try some 1.8mm. also using sip sockets along with the leds
boop

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:40:27 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

exactly what xender said, and yes i also lubed them. i got my leds from ebay. the ones im using now are 2x3x4mm, but i think i might try some 1.8mm. also using sip sockets along with the leds

No way, so you can hot swap them?  And you don't have any clearance issues? Do you have any recommended links where I can go read about doing this as well? I've been hesitant to use anything but white LEDs on my boards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:48:47 by cooldiscretion »

Offline keyit

« Reply #309 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:58:38 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

No way, so you can hot swap them?  And you don't have any clearance issues? Do you have any recommended links where I can go read about doing this as well? I've been hesitant to use anything but white LEDs on my boards.

yup exactly that. no clearance issues because i took the sockets out of the black housing. but you can file them down like what was done here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56895.0

here is swill's build log, you can see how he did it here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58969.0

boop

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #310 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 18:30:30 »
While we're at it...

I also did some preperation!

Don't worry about the track ball cutout. I also have a german double shot set which I use to replace some keys on the ANSI layout to fit my needs. The ESC key is a funny one. It seems to be an original Cherry key since I found it in a little baggie that was in a box of cables. There were also 2 or 3 Cherry double shots in that baggie. Not sure though. It's thick ABS.

I also have all the things for ergo clears but I want to get SIP sockets for my LEDs before I make them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 19:55:26 by Fnzzy »

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #311 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 03:13:07 »
While we're at it...

I also did some preperation!

Show Image

Don't worry about the track ball cutout. I also have a german double shot set which I use to replace some keys on the ANSI layout to fit my needs. The ESC key is a funny one. It seems to be an original Cherry key since I found it in a little baggie that was in a box of cables. There were also 2 or 3 Cherry double shots in that baggie. Not sure though. It's thick ABS.

I also have all the things for ergo clears but I want to get SIP sockets for my LEDs before I make them.

Very nice. I think everyone is anxious for this group buy to start

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 03:17:55 »
Just bought some clears and stabs in preparation.
Dis gon' be gud
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #313 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 11:16:42 »
Any news on the butterfly pad?

Especially now that this is out: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59950.0

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 11:24:36 »
Any news on the butterfly pad?

Especially now that this is out: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59950.0

Elton created a new post a few days ago. Only a couple of the silver LightPad (aka Butterfly pads) left.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59861.0

Offline okwchin

« Reply #315 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:36:04 »
O.M.G......

Been checking This thread every few hours, have email notification for all replies, and checking the classifieds just as often!! Its where elton said he would put up the sale thread when it happens... and only find out about it now that it was put up in a totally different location, and days ago!   :'( :'(

Wanted a black light pad but now their all well and truly sold out :(

Yeah it's called light pad but on the PCB it's called butterfly pad lol, so I just picked one.

No word yet...I'll definitely announce when I'm putting these on classifieds.

Oh well... Shall try to entertain myself with an alternate number pad GB. Always more things to spend money on, unfortunately :)
A light pad would have been nice...
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:42:55 by okwchin »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #316 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:39:39 »
same. just gotta wait for another GB i suppose, if we're lucky enough

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 01:16:20 »
O.M.G......

Been checking This thread every few hours, have email notification for all replies, and checking the classifieds just as often!! Its where elton said he would put up the sale thread when it happens... and only find out about it now that it was put up in a totally different location, and days ago!   :'( :'(

Wanted a black light pad but now their all well and truly sold out :(

Yeah it's called light pad but on the PCB it's called butterfly pad lol, so I just picked one.

No word yet...I'll definitely announce when I'm putting these on classifieds.

Oh well... Shall try to entertain myself with an alternate number pad GB. Always more things to spend money on, unfortunately :)
A light pad would have been nice...

yeah man... kinda disappointed with that but at least i've placed my order.

Unfortunately they're from the leftover inventory with defects etc

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 00:27:51 »
Is this going to be changed to a group buy as soon as everybody receives their LightSaver V2?

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:57:34 »
I am guessing a few days after everything is paid and shipped.

Also, I am currently using my keyboard at an 11° angle and I must say it is very steep :/ Will surely take some time to get used to.

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #320 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:55:35 »

Also, I am currently using my keyboard at an 11° angle and I must say it is very steep :/ Will surely take some time to get used to.

Which keyboard is that?  Poker II?

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 12:30:29 »

Which keyboard is that?  Poker II?

Yeah, currently using a Poker 2 and a black Tex aluminum case. Found a small box to angle it at roughly 11°. I usually don't mind angles and I used feet on CM Storm keyboards in the past, but this angle is a little steeper even. It's alright for typing but could get a little uncomfortable for gaming.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 12:32:14 by Fnzzy »

Offline Vintage

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:28:17 »
I think Elton mentioned a delay of some sorts in the Lightsaver GB thread. So it may be a bit longer than expected  :(

Anxiously waiting regardless.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline elton5354

« Reply #323 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:00:04 »
I think Eagle/Viper PCBS are ALPS and MX compatible.

Offline pasph

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:15:15 »
I think Eagle/Viper PCBS are ALPS and MX compatible.
What?????
Alps compatible?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #325 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:22:39 »
What????
Alps compatible?
[/quote]

That's what the man said.

MiniV2 was dual switch compatible, right? Kingsaver, same people, an ALPS TKL? It would make sense.

It also makes me drool. Where'd I put my handkerchief...?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 19:07:38 »
Viper prep is go!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #327 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 08:54:58 »
Is it just me, or at this price the more direct way to get a HHKB "equivalent" is just to buy an actual HHKB Pro II?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #328 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:04:12 »
Is it just me, or at this price the more direct way to get a HHKB "equivalent" is just to buy an actual HHKB Pro II?

If you prefer Topre, then yes. If you're a fan of Cherry-MX, like me, then this is extremely appealing. Add the fact that it's programmable (which the HHKB is not) and it becomes quite compelling.

$240 is really not that expensive when you compare the fact that some aluminum cases cost that much.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:16:01 »

If you prefer Topre, then yes. If you're a fan of Cherry-MX, like me, then this is extremely appealing. Add the fact that it's programmable (which the HHKB is not) and it becomes quite compelling.

$240 is really not that expensive when you compare the fact that some aluminum cases cost that much.

Yeah, you are right, this is just another bubble in the already twisted GH's economy / market ocean. From time to time I still forget that mundane reality does not have anything to do with mechanical keyboards.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:27:18 »
Yeah, you are right, this is just another bubble in the already twisted GH's economy / market ocean. From time to time I still forget that mundane reality does not have anything to do with mechanical keyboards.

Well said!

When a standard commercial board seems to run about $150, paying for a custom keyboard for only $100 more seems like a deal. Of course, you still have to buy switches, stabilizers and key caps, but whose counting?  ;)

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #331 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 10:09:48 »
mech keyboards is one of the cheaper hobbies out there, i've found. the top-end is only about $500-$600 (500 for a board and 100 for a smashin' set of caps), whereas the top end in another popular hobby like headphones is 10x that for a pair of Stax, plus the same amount for an amp that can drive the cans which add up to 10k in total

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 10:26:39 »
mech keyboards is one of the cheaper hobbies out there, i've found. the top-end is only about $500-$600 (500 for a board and 100 for a smashin' set of caps), whereas the top end in another popular hobby like headphones is 10x that for a pair of Stax, plus the same amount for an amp that can drive the cans which add up to 10k in total

Not sure about that.... I've only gotten into keyboards since the end of last year, and I've dropped about a grand on keyboards so far.

$135 for IMSTO, $160 on TaiHao sets, 200 MX switches for about $100, lube for $18, Numpad for $60 Dolch for $180, Keycool 84 $60, Toxic $70, Banggood blank set $20, Ivan's round 3 black PBT for $130, Bro set for $100, $210 for GON's keyboard, and looking to purchase the Duck Viper and Red Scarf 2 when group buys for that come out, and a novatouch.

I also recently purchased a very nice Rubik's cube for $8. Makes me wonder how much I would have saved if I had just gotten into speed cubing instead of mechanical keyboards...

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #333 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:17:42 »
you're quite the big spender :P of course there's no limit to how much you can spend on each hobby, but the audio equivalent of your purchases would still be much more expensive. a GON, KMAC 2 and Duck Orion together probably don't cost as much as a HD800. a lot of audiophiles have anywhere between 2-5 endgame headphones, each in the 4 digit range. this is not counting amps, DACs and cables (people shell out $300 - $400 alone for aesthetically pleasing cables). price wise, collecting keyboards is about the same as collecting leather boots

not that it's a bad thing, i don't think many of us have money for luxury watches and sport cars

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #334 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:45:31 »
I have nothing important to add ...

Just excited for viper!

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:47:00 »
I guess if you find your endgame early, you can spend lesser for mech keyboards.

Whereas for audiophile, an endgame setup would be crazy expensive, same with anything music related like playing instruments and stuff.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #336 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 18:15:14 »
You could also get into photography and pay a few hundred dollars to get an entry level camera. That doesn't cover different lenses like a telezoom, a marco and what else you want to get. If you want to do studio photos you obviously need a studio setup with maybe a flash and some reflectors and also a good tripod for your camera.

Different topic. What color are you all planning on getting for your Viper / Eagle? I can't decide.  :-\

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 18:23:49 »
What color are you all planning on getting for your Viper / Eagle? I can't decide.  :-\

Black. I plan on putting some delicious Dolch on there.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #338 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 18:47:20 »
Different topic. What color are you all planning on getting for your Viper / Eagle? I can't decide.  :-\

I hope to get the Viper in Silver and the Eagle in Blue-Gray.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 18:58:46 »
What color are you all planning on getting for your Viper / Eagle? I can't decide.  :-\

mhmmmmmmm.

Now I need to find those cyan LEDs to finish the '60% Dolch-Eagle' tribute board..
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 19:02:18 by evolveS »
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #340 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 19:49:00 »

Sounds good! I could do the same since I joined Ivans GB, I could also go with a silver or blue-grey one since I have an original Cherry double shot set ready. Decisions man.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #341 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:25:38 »

Sounds good! I could do the same since I joined Ivans GB, I could also go with a silver or blue-grey one since I have an original Cherry double shot set ready. Decisions man.

Nice! I remember you were kind of on the fence about it on /r/mechanicalkeyboards a while back. Good on you for joining  :D

Offline Vintage

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:49:04 »
Was gonna go silver but decided on the blue-gray recently.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:53:52 »

Nice! I remember you were kind of on the fence about it on /r/mechanicalkeyboards a while back. Good on you for joining  :D

I am registered here since last year actually, I just wasn't active until now and lurked a bit.  :p Now I want the expensive stuff.

EDIT: Now I get what you meant with "on the fence" and "joining". You meant the Dolch GB. Not that I joined GH. Sorry I was kind of tired.   :confused:
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 July 2014, 09:08:15 by Fnzzy »

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 23:17:05 »

What exactly does that look like anyways....? I'm having a hard time envisioning such a color in my mind  :confused:

Now I want the expensive stuff.

That's the spirit ;D

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 23:28:56 »

What exactly does that look like anyways....? I'm having a hard time envisioning such a color in my mind  :confused:

It's probably the right one in this picture
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 00:39:48 »
I'm going with a blue-grey Viper.

Offline tbc

« Reply #347 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 04:01:19 »

I am registered here since last year actually, I just wasn't active until now and lurked a bit.  :p Now I want the expensive stuff.

you're in the wrong thread. ;)

old timers are here since we've run out of money.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 04:16:06 »
That Viper is pretty classy. Probably going to snatch one up
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 July 2014, 04:21:01 by noisyturtle »

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 12:16:12 »
Dat grey