Author Topic: [IC] Kishsaver Feet  (Read 6950 times)

Offline wcass

[IC] Kishsaver Feet
« on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 14:53:16 »
A part of my Kishsaver that is not in great condition is the feet.  On my KS, the two front feet are OK, but the back two are deformed - squashed flat. I think that the keyboard might have been riveted into a keyboard tray. Anyway, I was thinking about casting new feet.

I have lots of choices for mold making - the cheap stuff makes lower detail castings and is only good for very few castings - expensive molds usually last longer and have better detail. So, I need to know if I will be making feet for just myself, or for the whole lot of you guys with Kishsavers. My goal is to keep the cost under $10 to replace all 4. I may need help modeling this, so if you have the skill and software, let me know.

The shape of the feet is like a rectangular grommet - 9mm x 9mm.

65172-065174-1
65178-265176-3
65180-4
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 May 2014, 15:11:42 by wcass »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: [IC] Kishsaver Feet
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 14:58:51 »
I'd be interested.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 15:01:40 »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 15:52:18 »
I'd be down, I still need to convert it and powder coat it but this is cheap so I am okay with that :P

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 15:54:00 »
In.

Offline Parak

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 16:14:56 »
Make them EPDM and I'm in :D

Offline wcass

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 16:45:26 »
I hadn't considered EPDM. What about that material makes you want to use it? It might work if the formulation was in the lower half of it's Shore range. Anything over 65A might be too hard.

Offline Parak

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 17:05:16 »
I hadn't considered EPDM. What about that material makes you want to use it? It might work if the formulation was in the lower half of it's Shore range. Anything over 65A might be too hard.

Mainly the wear resistance and longevity. But depends on the cost I suppose - too much and it's not worth it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 05:45:45 »
I'd be in for a set, too.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 06:01:56 »
interested here.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 06:30:12 »
Also interested in a set!

Hope you don't mind but I posted a link to this IC in the Deskthority forum. http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/kishsaver-replacement-feet-interest-check-on-geekhack-t8050.html
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 11:20:03 »
I'm in as well.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 11:30:40 »
I'm in.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 11:52:07 »
I'm interested in a set or two... :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 12:53:29 »
I'd buy a set of these
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Monster-Toys

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 02:41:45 »
In, too.  :)

Offline wcass

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 08:50:16 »
OK, thanks to Monster-Toys we have two mold designs; a classic 2 piece, clam shell, top pour and a 3 piece injection mold type. The three piece has the advantage of no mold seams on the foot bottom. The two piece uses less mold material and less voids, so it would cost less to have made.
66657-066659-1

For the actual foot material, I would like to use platinum cure silicone. It is chemical, UV, and heat resistant and should last for many years. It can be formulated to a specific color and Shore hardness, but it is more expensive than other materials and usually requires vacuum degassing. An inexpensive alternative might be Oogoo.

As this is all very much new and untested, I think I will start out going the inexpensive route and reporting back what works and what doesn't. I think I will also look into making those plastic spacer things that always seem to be broken.
66661-2

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 12:04:55 »
Nice! I look forward to seeing how these projects progress.

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 21:47:23 »
Do you actually have an injection molding machine, or would you have a company make them for you?  ...Or are the molds low pressure where you can just squeeze silicone into them by hand?  Looks like a great project! I'd be interested in some if I can find a Kishsaver to put them on!

Offline wcass

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 00:10:27 »
The plastic spacer thingies turned out great. The feet, not so great.

The feet tops fit in the case holes, but not as tight as the original. The edges are not nice and sharp (like the original) and my Oogoo feels a bit too squishy - like i might have stirred it too vigorously and introduced some small bubbles. I aslo think that the silicone shrank - perhaps as much as 10%. 

But i learned a lot.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 00:20:43 »

The feet tops fit in the case holes, but not as tight as the original. The edges are not nice and sharp (like the original) and my Oogoo feels a bit too squishy - like i might have stirred it too vigorously and introduced some small bubbles. I aslo think that the silicone shrank - perhaps as much as 10%. 

But i learned a lot.

That is too bad about the feet but at least the spacers worked out.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 08:24:24 »

But i learned a lot.

So did you just use silicone clay for the feet, rather than attempted to 3D print anything?

Offline wcass

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 09:43:26 »
So did you just use silicone clay for the feet, rather than attempted to 3D print anything?
I 3D printed a mold for the feet. I used Oogoo to fill the mold. Oogoo does not pour so I just crammed as much in as I could with a Popsicle stick. Some of the feet had signs of trapped air pockets. I'm not sure how to avoid that with something so viscous. I'll post pictures as soon as i find them.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 11:51:54 »
I 3D printed a mold for the feet. I used Oogoo to fill the mold. Oogoo does not pour so I just crammed as much in as I could with a Popsicle stick. Some of the feet had signs of trapped air pockets. I'm not sure how to avoid that with something so viscous. I'll post pictures as soon as i find them.

Was there any preparation after you filled the molds, or does that substance just have to sit and harden?

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 18:43:31 »
Nice one wcass, in for two sets when this is complete!
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline wcass

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 19:15:23 »
I applied a very thin coat of wax on the mold to smooth the texture and as a mold release. That was probably not necessary.

It might have helped if I had degassed the Oogoo prior to casting, but I don't have a vacuum chamber. I demolded at about 4 hours. Oogoo is very interesting stuff and only costs about $5 at local grocer/hardware store vs $30 for Oomoo available on-line.
73631-0

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 19:36:29 »
This reminds me of some double glazing gaskets when I worked for a curtainwall window company. I use to have to count the linear feet of gasket needed for entire buildings/skyscrapers

This might work if you stuff something in the bulb since it more than likely has a pretty low durometer
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 21:35:36 »
I applied a very thin coat of wax on the mold to smooth the texture and as a mold release. That was probably not necessary.

It might have helped if I had degassed the Oogoo prior to casting, but I don't have a vacuum chamber. I demolded at about 4 hours. Oogoo is very interesting stuff and only costs about $5 at local grocer/hardware store vs $30 for Oomoo available on-line.
(Attachment Link)

Did you experiment with Sugru?  If so, how did it compare?  I'm not really sure if Oogoo and Sugru are in the same class of materials or uses.

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 11:18:07 »
I realize in advance that I am resurrecting an ancient topic/thread, but it was valuable to me recently when exploring options for the Kishsaver's feet, and this was the only thread really dedicated to the concept.  Here is a link the 3d printing option if interested:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52394.msg2068178#msg2068178