Author Topic: Identifying: old keyboard with "spade" symbol keys each side of space bar  (Read 3188 times)

Offline voided

Hi all,

First post. Please help let me know if I'm breaking any rules or conventions. I've found an old keyboard with a total lack of branding, model numbers, etc, and am seeking some assistance to identify it.

It does have some distinguishing characteristics:

* Spade symbol keys left and right of space bar
* 9-pin plug (black plastic)
* unusual placement of arrow keys
* RESET button top right corner
* cherry black switches with cherry grey for the spacebar
* not doubleshot keys, sadly

I've attached a photo. This is "as found". It will clean up much better as mostly just has surface grime issues.

Initially, I thought the spade symbols would make googling the identity of this keyboard a breeze. Turns out there are approximately 7 million webpages relating to typing spade symbols, so I'm having difficulty getting through the noise!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Hm, I wonder if the easiest way to ID the board is to take it apart and look at the markings on the PCB. The layout reminds me of the IBM XT buckling spring keyboards but obviously this has Cherry switches...

I'm stumped :(
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 08:50:57 by CPTBadAss »

Offline voided

Thanks CPTBadAss,

The lack of identifiers continues to the back of the PCB. Not a code on it!

Looking from the front of the keyboard through the right hand square hole under the spacebar, I can see a code that looks like: CL-022-85. No joy searching for that, either.

Will add some photos of the internals shortly...

Offline voided

Adding 2 more photos

* Back of PCB
* Keyboard removed from case

Apologies for the photo quality (smartphone).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I wonder if that is a Datacomp keyboard. That case design looks EXACTLY like the Datacomp I harvested Blue Alps switches out of. It had a similar  lack of branding on the case but it was marked Datacomp on the PCB.

Offline voided

A lot of similarities in the case design...family resemblance, perhaps. Mine has black metal back, too.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
The spade symbols make me wonder if it was intended for use with an Apple II series or clone machine-- the hollow/solid apple symbols are sort of similar in their use; it has a reset key, and they didn't have the arrow keys anywhere sensible.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
I swear I've seen a plate like that before. Maybe IvanIvanovich had it?

I bet there would be some type of identification if you could desolder all the switches, remove the mount plate, and get a look at the front of the PCB.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I was thinking about that too jdcarpe, I wonder if they hid their logo underneath the switches/plates.

Offline Findecanor

Key Tronic made a replacement keyboard for the Apple II with a Model F layout, but it did of course have Key Tronic's switches. Key Tronic Model F clone series.
The case does have some resemblance, though.
See also this one

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN

Yes. Paging IvanLysol...

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
I wish some if these new keyboard companies would advocate the lack of branding found on this board, lol.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Very interesting find. I concur that it appears to be a keyboard made for an Apple clone. The first thought I had was the Peach computers we had in our school. Unfortunately I think it's going to be a search for a needle in a haystack to identify the exact brand and model, but at least it should have the same pinout as the board Findecanor linked to (the K8AP).

LOTS of companies tried to jump onto Apple's success by building clones. Here is a list (incomplete) of Apple II clones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apple_II_clones
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Build looks kind of similar to one of Dah Yang board I had... but I am not sure if it is from them. It looks like it has multi pads for different kind of switch. Has the same plug type as the Staff... maybe it is earlier keyboard model for one of those?
Being for a clone system may be a good reason there is no identifiable marking as to avoid Apple coming at the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 12:31:36 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Looks a lot like a standard plate for the time. Lots of keyboards (hall effect, WYSE, etc) have plates like that.

The closest apple2 clone I could conveniently find was the Mikroprofessor III which has an XT-esque layout. Sadly, it's not the same keyboard.

Offline Hazel

Also looks similar to the "Unitron" Apple II clone.
http://pocket.free.fr/html/infotic2004/32.jpg
No spade key or up/down arrow keys, however.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 18:20:44 by Hazel »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Possibly a keyboard from one of the Franklin Ace apple clones?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline voided

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Some of the other keyboards people have pointed to have a lot of similarities -- especially that Unitron clone.

I guess it's safe to say, based on the responses, that this is not some highly-sought-after rare early keyboard. Perhaps rare, and perhaps someone out there might want it, but I may never know!

On this basis, pulling apart to look for identifiers (and hopefully solve the mystery) is shaping up as a reasonable option.

I'll post back if I come up with any new information.

Thanks again.

Offline jacobolus

You got me looking up Apple II clones on google/ebay.

Maybe you can find it by searching for the names on this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apple_II_clones

This one has “open micro” and “closed micro” keys, instead of apples or spades:

I’m not sure what this one’s little symbols are supposed to be:
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 02:14:00 by jacobolus »

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
This reminds me of an old Apple II clone that also had a Z-80 in it, and thus also ran CP/M. It had some very silly advertisements, because it's name was the "Genius" or something like that.