Author Topic: MX11800 Trackball repair! please help!  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Ultra-m-a-n

MX11800 Trackball repair! please help!
« on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:51:44 »
Okay so I messed up and I accidentally broke the gold ribbon cable that attaches the trackball unit to the PCB of the keyboard. It has a blob of solder at the joint and was thinking of reattaching the cable just by heating up the blob and sticking the broken ribbon back in. Would that work? Or do I have to consider something else?

Thanks for your help. :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: MX11800 Trackball repair! please help!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:58:43 »
Do that first.

If it doesn't work, use a short piece of wire as a bridge.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 15:47:08 »
I have a g80-11800 but I have not done any repairs on it. As said try it first and see if it works.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline intelli78

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 16:00:21 »
If you end up needing any replacement parts, PM me, I can send you a new trackball assembly for cost of shipping.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Ultra-m-a-n

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:20:54 »
If you end up needing any replacement parts, PM me, I can send you a new trackball assembly for cost of shipping.

Sorry for the thread necro, I ended up repairing my board, just had some solder and then stuck the broken wire in the melted ball. Everything works great.

hahah sadly I'm not even using the trackball since my new (well it is an older X58 rig) motherboard only has one PS2 port on the motherboard. so the trckball is just sitting!

Also I PMed you about your Unicomp! thats quite a coincidence! Thanks for your willingness to help, I dont frequent this forum all that often!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 11:36:30 »
Glad to hear it worked out! If you want you can use a PS/2 to usb converter so you can use your trackball.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0