Author Topic: Help painting plate  (Read 2912 times)

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
Help painting plate
« on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 18:37:53 »
I have a plate salvaged from some keyboard or another. It seems to have a layer of tan paint on it, and I want to paint it black. What would be the best way to do this? I figure I would have to sand off the old paint first. Is plasti dip an option? thanks!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Help painting plate
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 18:55:21 »
I have a plate salvaged from some keyboard or another. It seems to have a layer of tan paint on it, and I want to paint it black. What would be the best way to do this? I figure I would have to sand off the old paint first. Is plasti dip an option? thanks!

No idea what "plate" refers to in this context, because I mostly work with ancient IBM iron and old-school Alps, but roughing it up a bit with sandpaper and cleaning it well is probably plenty of prep. I swear by Rustoleum paint, but some people love Krylon.

Apply several very thin coats. Save the plasti-coat for things that get a lot of handling.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 19:05:44 »
Save the plasti-coat for things that get a lot of handling.

In my experience, plastidip doesn't hold up well.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 19:19:56 »
Yeah, I've painted quite a few plates now, and I always use Krylon. I always sand it with 80-grit sandpaper to prep. Just do several thin costs, allowing like 15-20 minutes between coats. Then let it dry for 24-48 hours before mounting any switches or stabilizers.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 20:11:24 »
Yeah, I've painted quite a few plates now, and I always use Krylon. I always sand it with 80-grit sandpaper to prep. Just do several thin costs, allowing like 15-20 minutes between coats. Then let it dry for 24-48 hours before mounting any switches or stabilizers.
alright ill give that a try, thanks everyone for help and such

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:12:34 »
Yes, I thought "the plastidip solution" has just pros, no cons. Until I saw this

well, in some point of view this may be a con too, but for my taste of durable keyboard painting this is a huge con :-(
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:15:03 by Eszett »

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:15:56 »
(double posting, can be deleted)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:17:35 »
Yes, I thought "the plastidip solution" has just pros, no cons. Until I saw this
Show Image

well, in some point of view this may be a con too, but for my taste of durable keyboard painting this is a huge con :-(

That's actually a pro for some.  IME, the issue is if it comes into contact with something a lot, it tends to pill a little and wear off.  Then it gets hard to remove.